Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh yeah most definitely will do.

Anything pork or chicken based that might be neat as well? Just kinda fun to use a new toy sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Nice fatty ground pork (instead of the ultra lean poo poo you find in Luckys/Kroger) for laab and breakfast sausage minus casing

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Grind up some chicken breasts and make chicken nuggets.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Ground pork for dumpling filling

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

poop dood posted:

Grind up some chicken breasts thighs and make chicken nuggets.

ftfy

Always use thighs over breast. You need the fat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ranter posted:

New apartment has an all original 1980s kitchen complete with lovely coil electric stove top. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of replacements? https://www.pioneeringtech.com/product/smart-burner/

Also any recommendations for a powerful induction cooktop on Amazon would be super welcome!

Sooooooo smart burner prevents the stove from getting hot? What even.

For induction, get a duxtop. They’re solid.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

Sooooooo smart burner prevents the stove from getting hot? What even.
Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't understand what the gently caress these things are for. Why not just set the stove to a lower temperature if you don't want it getting hot?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't understand what the gently caress these things are for. Why not just set the stove to a lower temperature if you don't want it getting hot?

A lot of people are insanely dumb in the kitchen. For a lot of friends, the stove is either on HI or LO or off, nothing inbetween. It's for those kinds of people.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
hnnnng thank you!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's to create an even, flat surface cast iron surface that maintains the heat better because coils are poo poo. The cooking fire thing is just their weird non-english marketing for 'safety'. These don't reduce the temperature.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Ranter posted:

It's to create an even, flat surface cast iron surface that maintains the heat better because coils are poo poo. The cooking fire thing is just their weird non-english marketing for 'safety'. These don't reduce the temperature.

And it costs as much as about 20 cast iron pans, each of which will do the exact same job lol

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The lovely coils + a cast iron pan will be more efficient at transferring heat than replacing the coils with cast iron? OK thank you. Cast iron pans here (lodge) cost about $25 though, not $4.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It sounds like something sold to dilettantes who have to spend money to prove they're above using a pleb's stove.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
What do I have here? I am about 80% sure it's a bird's eye chili, but I'm not sure since at the grocery store it just said "hot red chili" (there were some Chinese characters but I didn't bother to get a picture). Very spicy, tastes vaguely like a bell pepper before it kicks you in the face -- very lingering heat. Probably spicier than most bird's eyes I've eaten, but I mean, it can vary wildly so that's not super indicative of anything -- though I've rarely seen fresh bird's eyes in the store.

It was $2 for a good bag of them, which I'm probably just gonna preserve in some way, but I'd like to know what I have.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 17, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Looks like a Birds Eye, description of heat level sounds like a Birds Eye.
It’s probably a Birds Eye.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Please correct or clarify these statements on stainless steel and cast iron. 1 and 2 are correct from my personal observation. My conclusions, 3 and 4, may be very wrong.

1) Cast iron radiates heat over a long distance. Heat a cast iron skillet on the stove, and place your hand near the surface. You can feel the heat from 2 or 3 inches away.
2) Stainless steel does not radiate heat very far. Heat up a stainless steel skillet, and place your hand near the surface. You won't feel any heat until your hand is a few millimeters from the surface.

Therefore:

3) Stainless steel is better for searing without overcooking. If you reverse sear or sous vide a steak, you want to sear the exterior without browning any of the interior. Cast iron may radiate heat into the interior of the steak and overcook part of it. Stainless steel will sear only the part that touches its surface.
4) For home use, however, there's not a huge difference. Family and friends won't care if the steak is brown 3mm under the surface and pink the rest of the way through.

Please correct my statements. Thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

once the steak hits the pan radiant heat doesn't really mater. You're transferring energy via conduction rather than radiation.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Emissivity dictates radiative heating, thermal conductivity dictates conductive heating which is more important to searing.

Cast iron: 80 units conductivity, 0.6-0.9 emissivity
Carbon steel: 45 units conductivity, 0.4-0.6 emissivity
Stainless steel: 15 units conductivity, 0.1ish emissivity*

* more if heavily used, scratched, etc

So for by the numbers, cast iron moves heat more.** This actually makes it better for having a thin band of crust, though! The pan dumps heat only on the outside of the food, with the help of some oil or fat like culinary thermal paste. The meat conducts heat inwards, which is why you get grey bands. Some common tips to reduce your grey band size:

• cool yer meat, so the inside is further from cooked temp when you start
  • cook the outside as fast as possible, to reduce total heat absorbed deep
  • make sure the pan has oil or fat to make good contact

The above assume you're reverse searing, so don't chill your meat if you're starting raw.

** cladded, or layered, pans make this a harder generalization to make, but it's mostly true.

Sources: https://sciencing.com/aluminum-vs-steel-conductivity-5997828.html https://blog.khymos.org/2007/03/01/staying-warm-cast-iron-vs-stainless-steel/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bagheera posted:

3) Stainless steel is better for searing without overcooking. If you reverse sear or sous vide a steak, you want to sear the exterior without browning any of the interior. Cast iron may radiate heat into the interior of the steak and overcook part of it. Stainless steel will sear only the part that touches its surface.
4) For home use, however, there's not a huge difference. Family and friends won't care if the steak is brown 3mm under the surface and pink the rest of the way through.

Please correct my statements. Thanks.

This is all about temp control more than pan type. Finishing off a sous vide steak should be like 30 seconds to a minute a side. The pan type really shouldn't matter when youre cooking that hot and fast.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Helith posted:

Looks like a Birds Eye, description of heat level sounds like a Birds Eye.
It’s probably a Birds Eye.
That's my thought too, just wanted to see if anyone had different ideas since there are a lot of very similar looking peppers. Should be good pickled.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

What do I have here? I am about 80% sure it's a bird's eye chili, but I'm not sure since at the grocery store it just said "hot red chili" (there were some Chinese characters but I didn't bother to get a picture). Very spicy, tastes vaguely like a bell pepper before it kicks you in the face -- very lingering heat. Probably spicier than most bird's eyes I've eaten, but I mean, it can vary wildly so that's not super indicative of anything -- though I've rarely seen fresh bird's eyes in the store.

It was $2 for a good bag of them, which I'm probably just gonna preserve in some way, but I'd like to know what I have.

I pickle a batch of those every once in a while. They're my favorite sandwich condiment.

Wear gloves if you wind up processing them by hand. If you're not using chemical resistant gloves, put on a new pair every half hour or so. I use a paring knife to cut the stems off and slit or slice them in half so the pickling liquid can get into every nook. I did a batch of about three pounds without gloves a couple years ago and my hands burned for three days. It sucked.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What are some can't-miss restaurants in Montevideo, Uruguay? I'm visiting in a few months and don't want to miss out on the best experiences.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I need some help, I have yet to successfully make my own hot oil for chinese cooking and i really hate buying mine from walmart. Some recommendations/videos for a howto or something until something clicks in my brain. Maybe i'm using the wrong peppers? I live in the middle of nowhere so i'd have to be able to buy the peppers online or on amazon.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captainsalami posted:

I need some help, I have yet to successfully make my own hot oil for chinese cooking and i really hate buying mine from walmart. Some recommendations/videos for a howto or something until something clicks in my brain. Maybe i'm using the wrong peppers? I live in the middle of nowhere so i'd have to be able to buy the peppers online or on amazon.
Dunno exactly what you mean by hot oil, but here are some resources:

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/how-to-make-chinese-red-oil/

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-chili-oil/

https://thewoksoflife.com/2015/08/how-to-make-chili-oil/

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

The linked recipes look fantastic and I need to try crafting the genuine article sometime, but I make my own basic low-rent chili oil for everyday use and it's always served me well:

3/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
generous 1/3 cup red pepper flakes

Heat oil until round about 250F, then stir in the pepper flakes, they will start foaming

After it cools down, put a lid on your pot and stir from time to time until you get around to straining and jarring it, I usually let it sit for a few days. I use a mesh strainer and funnel to transfer into an 8oz jam jar and spoon a half inch or so of the strained peppers into the bottom

Not the most artisanal of recipes, but loads above the overpriced garbo from walmart :yum:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have hearty vegetable soups (barley soup is a bonus) that they just love to bits? I'm craving vegetable soup but I can't find a recipe online that I'm happy with. Going to go and buy a fresh sourdough loaf to go with it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm going to feed people shepherd's pie for pi day. Any suggestions for sides?

I thought about mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables, but the mashed potatoes seemed like a bit much given the shepherd's pie. Maybe I'll make some anyway but..

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I have a huge soft spot for mesc iua which is an Italian bean soup from Liguria. Soak ~200g each of cannelini, chickpea, and farro or barley overnight, cook for several hours with salt and pepper and serve warm. Super simple but punches way above its weight class. Homemade stock with Parmesan rind is a nice touch but even straight water is really nice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have hearty vegetable soups (barley soup is a bonus) that they just love to bits? I'm craving vegetable soup but I can't find a recipe online that I'm happy with. Going to go and buy a fresh sourdough loaf to go with it.

I've always been a fan of the Moosewood Cafe Gypsy Soup. It's lazy and tasty and full of veg.

totalnewbie posted:

I thought about mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables, but the mashed potatoes seemed like a bit much given the shepherd's pie. Maybe I'll make some anyway but..

:lol: Starch on starch on starch. Why not a simple green salad or some steamed green veg with a vinaigrette? Shep pie tends to get kinda heavy. I'd pair it with something light and crisp and tangy.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Bah. I say steer into the skid and serve poutine as a side.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Also good advice

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: Starch on starch on starch. Why not a simple green salad or some steamed green veg with a vinaigrette? Shep pie tends to get kinda heavy. I'd pair it with something light and crisp and tangy.

Yeah, exactly, but I'd be 90% of the way to making a mashed potato side when I make the shepherd's pie so it really couldn't be any easier. Maybe I'll throw in some rolls and rice.

But yeah, salad is a good idea. Don't eat a lot of salad (I cook all my vegetables) so the idea that salad is a thing didn't even cross my mind.

For vegetables.. carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I like where your head is.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

flesh dance posted:

The linked recipes look fantastic and I need to try crafting the genuine article sometime, but I make my own basic low-rent chili oil for everyday use and it's always served me well:

3/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
generous 1/3 cup red pepper flakes

Heat oil until round about 250F, then stir in the pepper flakes, they will start foaming

After it cools down, put a lid on your pot and stir from time to time until you get around to straining and jarring it, I usually let it sit for a few days. I use a mesh strainer and funnel to transfer into an 8oz jam jar and spoon a half inch or so of the strained peppers into the bottom

Not the most artisanal of recipes, but loads above the overpriced garbo from walmart :yum:

Maybe that was my problem. The thing i was looking at said like 350 not 250.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, exactly, but I'd be 90% of the way to making a mashed potato side when I make the shepherd's pie so it really couldn't be any easier. Maybe I'll throw in some rolls and rice.

But yeah, salad is a good idea. Don't eat a lot of salad (I cook all my vegetables) so the idea that salad is a thing didn't even cross my mind.

I like blanching any sort of mix of peapods, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, red potatoes, etc and then tossing it with something fresh like cucumbers, red onion or radishes along with a vinaigrette (or when lazy something like Newman's Own Italian Dressing).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's really impossible to tell, but Thai birds are the hottest pepper that looks like that that you're likely to run into at a non-specialty grocery store. There are a bunch of similar-looking C. annuum peppers (like the chile de árbol) and even other species like several C. frutescens peppers (like tabasco). But they'd be milder, on average, than a bird's eye. And there are a couple that look like that and would on average be as hot or hotter, like the malagueta/piri piri, but you're less likely to find at a store.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SubG posted:

It's really impossible to tell, but Thai birds are the hottest pepper that looks like that that you're likely to run into at a non-specialty grocery store. There are a bunch of similar-looking C. annuum peppers (like the chile de árbol) and even other species like several C. frutescens peppers (like tabasco). But they'd be milder, on average, than a bird's eye. And there are a couple that look like that and would on average be as hot or hotter, like the malagueta/piri piri, but you're less likely to find at a store.

tangentially, the regular-rear end grocery near me started carrying little plastic clamshells of fresh bhut jolokias, nagas and Trinidad scorpions, I can’t recall if there were any other interesting varieties

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Hauki posted:

tangentially, the regular-rear end grocery near me started carrying little plastic clamshells of fresh bhut jolokias, nagas and Trinidad scorpions, I can’t recall if there were any other interesting varieties

That's got to be some kind of nasty joke by the produce buyer.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Along Casu Marzu's suggestion of 'light and crisp and tangy', you could just do a simple cabbage salad/slaw as well. What I do lately is finely shred (as finely as you can) cabbage, add grated carrots, then dress with olive oil, vinegar (whatever kind you choose), salt, and (optionally) a bit of soy sauce to add a little extra punch. Not enough to taste the soy sauce, but just enough to get a base umami flavor. I typically add in some dried herbs and paprika as well. Toasted nuts (sunflower is good) and dried fruit ok as well. I've done this with broccoli on occasion too; break the crowns into small pieces and slice the stems somewhat thinly.

It's quite nice if you slice it extremely thinly and serve it fresh. You get the nice nutty cabbage flavor and it's still relatively tender if it's thin.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I ended up with 4 small pork tenderloin besides making a pork roast. What could I do with them. Seems wrong to use it to make pulled pork or something. Was thinking about filleting them open and stuffing the roast with spinach, artichoke and Havarti like I do when i make stuffed pork chops then tying it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

If you've got a mandoline, ChefSteps brussels sprout slaw is amazing. Mustard, apple cider vinegar and brussels sprouts.Feels very substantial but still incredibly fresh, and cuts through even the heaviest, greasiest mains. It pairs well with a TON of stuff because it's so light, but the mustard helps it pair great even with heavy, wintery food. I make it at least once a month.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyxVTbPb_I&t=149s

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 19, 2019