Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EclecticTastes posted:

The real problem is distinguishing between accidents and intentional malfeasance, given that they are often the same thing.

"Look man, I got one form, and you gut hurt, I don't care if he stabbed you while screaming about ants under his skin, we're just gonna put this down as 'accidental knife/face intersection event and be happy. Sign here please."

I would loving love to play as Space OSHA. Just cordoning off accident areas, filling out space paperwork, and shutting down dangerous areas due to lack of space-railings over the space-reactor cores. And being brutally murdered more often than the clown for trying to shut down engines for their unlicensed hellburn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I would loving love to play as Space OSHA. Just cordoning off accident areas, filling out space paperwork, and shutting down dangerous areas due to lack of space-railings over the space-reactor cores. And being brutally murdered more often than the clown for trying to shut down engines for their unlicensed hellburn.

"Return of Space Station 13"

Cause of death: clown?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Isn't there a rotating Inspector job that's literally that? I seem to remember playing as it and getting yelled at by the Engineers because I kept trying to turn things off and "shut down the jobsite" until everyone was wearing the proper safety equipment.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Angry Diplomat posted:

Isn't there a rotating Inspector job that's literally that? I seem to remember playing as it and getting yelled at by the Engineers because I kept trying to turn things off and "shut down the jobsite" until everyone was wearing the proper safety equipment.

That sounds like the best possible way to play Inspector. We should give their PDA the ability to issue fines for space OSHA violations.

edit re vvvvvv: you're in for a treat when you return, the absurdly smart coder peoples made some major breakthroughs in performance recently.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 15, 2019

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I haven't been able to play in a while, but keep up the good work with the bizarre, spiteful tickets, everyone.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

posting from page 5 to ask: is there any way to play this on mac os? i'm guessing still no?
The game runs in Wine (with a few tricks), though it's definitely not as smooth as it is on Windows. Not sure about Mac specifically but I manage to run it in Ubuntu.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Inspector is one of the rotating daily jobs and this is absolutely the way to play it :golfclap:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Zamujasa posted:

The game runs in Wine (with a few tricks), though it's definitely not as smooth as it is on Windows. Not sure about Mac specifically but I manage to run it in Ubuntu.

Getting this to run on the Mac, even in WINE, is basically bigfoot at this point. You're going to encounter people that swear they've done it, but it's always lies.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macintosh HD posted:

Getting this to run on the Mac, even in WINE, is basically bigfoot at this point. You're going to encounter people that swear they've done it, but it's always lies.

I got it working but it ran like absolute dogshit, unplayably so.

I ended up just using vmware fusion which works but still kinda sucks.

The best option is just to bootcamp windows. If you game at all on a MacBook it’s worth doing anyways.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Isaac posted:

Curiosity is what feeds the zombie machine

hell, nothing can be inside of the zoo except for a zombie, but inevitably, someone will visit, and soon there will be more than two zombies

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Blastinus posted:

I must confess that as an AI, if I spot the blob early in its growth, I’ll occasionally wait for it to grow a little before I call it out. Because it’s the equivalent of a traitor spawning gear and someone immediately shouting “Traitor in crew quarters!”

Stopping the bad guys before they can be a threat just ruins the fun of the chase.

I remember once when I was AI, I watched a blob spawn in a room with a fuel tank under a light, I overloaded the light and blew the fuel tank killing the blob, this happened like two more times with the same results until the guy spawned his blob somewhere I didn't immediately discover, I guess an admin was respawning the poor blob I horribly murdered for fun.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Nani???

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I love this game, but for two weeks now my ping has jumped t0 2000-4000ms in the middle of the round and I wind up giving the gently caress up and closing the window every time I play. It's just not doable when there's 2-4 seconds of input lag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

I love this game, but for two weeks now my ping has jumped t0 2000-4000ms in the middle of the round and I wind up giving the gently caress up and closing the window every time I play. It's just not doable when there's 2-4 seconds of input lag.

this has been me for years :(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its by far the best its ever been for me. BYOND is so mysterious

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I've never experienced that ping thing, that really sucks :( sorry to hear about it.

Isaac posted:

Its by far the best its ever been for me. BYOND is so mysterious

The supreme eggheads recently found a way to pinpoint some of the last remaining sources of lag and have been fixing them and it looks like they're doing a good job. I played around a little today and things have never been so smooth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mimesweeper posted:

The supreme eggheads recently found a way to pinpoint some of the last remaining sources of lag and have been fixing them and it looks like they're doing a good job. I played around a little today and things have never been so smooth.

Do you think they sacrificed a goat or a homeless person on the altar this time to make it happen?

Seriously though, that's pretty impressive.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you think they sacrificed a goat or a homeless person on the altar this time to make it happen?

Seriously though, that's pretty impressive.

Yeah, making a proper altar is a pretty niche skill in this day and age. Kudos to them for getting it right.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i played my first three rounds of ss13 today

1st round: joined late and a giant crab shot me to death while I was still in the arrivals hall
2nd round: missed the escape capsule because i was trying to get dressed
3rd round: won a cuddly toy then went through the wrong door and ended up drifting in space

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I rolled "conspirator" which is some kind of rp antag on the crab round. Its hard to have a conspiracy when theres minigun sharks roaming the halls

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
I had a fun game a couple of weeks ago.

On Atlas, I spawned as a botanist along with three others. The others all wandered off fairly quickly, but one returned with a bible and farted on it, right outside the door. To my horror, each of my fellow botanists made their way back to biblefart. Distressed, I took the bible... only for another to appear, in its spot. As I took them and disposed of them, more and more would spawn, until the whole corridor outside botany suddenly filled with hungry bibles and new botanists. Without saying a word, the botanists would appear and commit suicide via bible, and I could do little to prevent it. Horrified at the number of my brethren being sacrificed to a strange, vengeful God, I dragged as many as I could into botany until there was no space left empty - about 20 botanists saved in total.

It was at that point they began to speak.

The botanists spoke to me, talking about being botanists, about how they had been there since the beginning, as I tried to convince them (and myself) that they had only newly appeared. They spoke about the importance of caring for the bees - the bees that had not been there before, as to my recollection. As I began to doubt my own sanity, the botanists switched the argument - accusing me of not being real. Why had I not been growing plants? Why was I so accusatory of the others?

The whole time this had been going on, the hungry bibles had not stopped spawning. Other staff members were trying to contain them, but more would fill the hallway each time. Eventually, security decided to resort to incendiary grenades to clear the area of the threats. He screamed at the botanists to get out as he cleared the area, but I didn't know what to think, what to believe any longer.

All of the botanists perished in the ensuing fire, leaving only the bees once the flames died down. By that point, I was grateful to join my botanist kin in the next life.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

3rd round: won a cuddly toy then went through the wrong door and ended up drifting in space

Running out an airlock into space on your first few rounds is one of SS13's most noble and time-honored traditions.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Chickenwalker posted:

Running out an airlock into space on your first few rounds is one of SS13's most noble and time-honored traditions.

That's how I died on my very first round :allears: You only space yourself for the first time once, cherish this moment.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Similarly, playing the HoP as an overbearing HR Manager and arranging disciplinary meetings/performance management plans is a lot of fun

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Chickenwalker posted:

Yup, that's exactly what I ended up doing my very first round on goonstation.

"Huh, where's this goooo- oohh nooooo."

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I miss this game and that human being traitor George Melons. Captains a comdom!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

This is the stuff dreams are made of

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Kazvall posted:

I miss this game and that human being traitor George Melons. Captains a comdom!

You'd get scolded for bring up George Melons' undeniable status these days, we've purged the slurs to help keep the 4chan away and make a slightly nicer atmosphere, but he sure was.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sick Ness Monster posted:

I had a fun game a couple of weeks ago.

On Atlas, I spawned as a botanist along with three others. The others all wandered off fairly quickly, but one returned with a bible and farted on it, right outside the door. To my horror, each of my fellow botanists made their way back to biblefart. Distressed, I took the bible... only for another to appear, in its spot. As I took them and disposed of them, more and more would spawn, until the whole corridor outside botany suddenly filled with hungry bibles and new botanists. Without saying a word, the botanists would appear and commit suicide via bible, and I could do little to prevent it. Horrified at the number of my brethren being sacrificed to a strange, vengeful God, I dragged as many as I could into botany until there was no space left empty - about 20 botanists saved in total.

It was at that point they began to speak.

The botanists spoke to me, talking about being botanists, about how they had been there since the beginning, as I tried to convince them (and myself) that they had only newly appeared. They spoke about the importance of caring for the bees - the bees that had not been there before, as to my recollection. As I began to doubt my own sanity, the botanists switched the argument - accusing me of not being real. Why had I not been growing plants? Why was I so accusatory of the others?

The whole time this had been going on, the hungry bibles had not stopped spawning. Other staff members were trying to contain them, but more would fill the hallway each time. Eventually, security decided to resort to incendiary grenades to clear the area of the threats. He screamed at the botanists to get out as he cleared the area, but I didn't know what to think, what to believe any longer.

All of the botanists perished in the ensuing fire, leaving only the bees once the flames died down. By that point, I was grateful to join my botanist kin in the next life.

This loving game

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Or the round I went miner, because I missed mining and goonstation. I was minding my own business, punching rocks, when suddenly A BRAIN COMES FLYING OUTTA NOWHERE AND MAKES A DONK NOISE AS IT BOUNCES OFF MINING.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Last round there was a traitor with an emag and a pistol. After quietly disposing of a couple of targets, they emagged their way into the armory and spent about five minutes loading up on rampage gear. While heading back through the bridge, grenades and guns stuffed in every pocket, they spotted the captain strolling into their room and proceeded to give chase.

Then, this happens:

quote:

Sybil Braun fires Riot Shotgun at the carpet!

Jones weaves around Sybil Braun's legs and trips her!

Billy Beefheart fires the energy gun at the carpet!

Billy Beefheart fires the energy gun at the steel floor!

Sybil Braun is hit by the energy bolt!

Sybil Braun collapses!

DEAD: Ghost (Melissabelle Ataxia) laments, "OH MY GOD"

Billy Beefheart attempts to handcuff Sybil Braun!

DEAD: Ghost (Melissabelle Ataxia) laments, "JONES JUST ROBUSTED A TRAITOR"

Sybil Braun gasps, "loving cat"

Billy Beefheart handcuffs Sybil Braun!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good kitty

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Last round there was a traitor with an emag and a pistol. After quietly disposing of a couple of targets, they emagged their way into the armory and spent about five minutes loading up on rampage gear. While heading back through the bridge, grenades and guns stuffed in every pocket, they spotted the captain strolling into their room and proceeded to give chase.

Then, this happens:
:kimchi:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I love that, no matter what you’re doing, whether it’s some incredible journey or mining your own business, there’s always something utterly fantastic going on just byond your purview, and every now and then, it pops its head into your life and changes everything. It’s a really neat kind of tension that I haven’t found anywhere else.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

I love that, no matter what you’re doing, whether it’s some incredible journey or mining your own business, there’s always something utterly fantastic going on just byond your purview, and every now and then, it pops its head into your life and changes everything. It’s a really neat kind of tension that I haven’t found anywhere else.

Having a wank at a bus station is similar.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

I was thinking the other day that it'd neat to have a let's play with multiple perspectives.

It'd probably take a good few rounds and some good editing to get right, but man it would be fun to watch.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Having a wank at a bus station is similar.

Wow, you’re right!!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

monolithburger posted:

I was thinking the other day that it'd neat to have a let's play with multiple perspectives.

It'd probably take a good few rounds and some good editing to get right, but man it would be fun to watch.

Back when I played this, I remember one of PlumpHelmutPunks videos he spent the entire round rather uneventfully screwing around in Engineering. Meanwhile I was Sec and we discovered that werewolves are real, managed to trap one in the monkey pen, and I was letting people come in and challenge it to bare knuckle boxing.

I was little disappointed that the video contained absolutely none of that, but it was interesting that he was just down the hall the whole time having a fairly boring round.

TDHooligan
Apr 4, 2014
canbomb exploded earlier today, while the server was processing the volume of carnage this little gem popped up over the radio

quote:

Ian Stan Gibbs [145.9] says, "This death alert program on the PDA is quite handy for tracking the gibwave"

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Sketched up an orbital chart for the plasma giant's neighborhood. Here's some spatial context for ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi friends. Has anything changed since mid 2016 in regards to performance and lag? I had a lot of fun with SS13, enjoyed running around screaming and farting in between being choked by crew mates. Unfortunately a lot of awful lag got in the way of that! I yearn to try this again.