Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice piece of fish posted:

What the gently caress is this?

I go away for just a single weekend of cabin stabbin' and all of a sudden there's anime poo poo everywhere.

Have you people no shame?

If we had shame would we be lawyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ooh, strong thread title potential there

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I can't argue with that.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Big if true.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dang

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Just posting to bask in the glory of my new AV

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

blarzgh posted:

Just posting to bask in the glory of my new AV
ive been trying to think of something funny to post all day just to see mine

blarzgh posted:

You just tell her how happy you made me, like a chubby young boy, jiggling with glee in a candy shop, and I'm sure she'll understand.
also, just saw this and lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The worker’s comp job is in the compliance office, so not dealing with worker’s comp claims but prosecution of non-compliant employers.

I should know in a week or so if I get an offer. I think the interview went well. v:shobon:v

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

ive been trying to think of something funny to post all day just to see mine

never stopped you before

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

evilweasel posted:

never stopped you before

Lol

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

The worker’s comp job is in the compliance office, so not dealing with worker’s comp claims but prosecution of non-compliant employers.

I should know in a week or so if I get an offer. I think the interview went well. v:shobon:v

Good luck man. State employment is the tits, and if you do t like that it's easier to lateral to another state position as long as you network a bit and aren't totally goony.

The new avs rock.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigHead posted:

Good luck man. State employment is the tits, and if you do t like that it's easier to lateral to another state position as long as you network a bit and aren't totally goony.

Thanks. When I explained why I left the criminal defense firm, neither interviewer seemed to take my short tenure there as a negative. One of the interviewers is a former public defender. The other knows my former boss well. They both just said it was good I found out fast that I couldn't do crim-law rather than 10 years down the road when I have a drug/alcohol problem.

BigHead posted:

The new avs rock.

I agree. SV did a good job.

More general law topic - did you guys see the Roger Stone poo poo from today? His attorneys were given a gag order last week, but Stone himself was not. This morning he posted the judge's picture on his instagram with a crosshair near her head. His attorneys filed a motion apologizing to the judge for it this afternoon.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Mr. Nice! posted:

More general law topic - did you guys see the Roger Stone poo poo from today? His attorneys were given a gag order last week, but Stone himself was not. This morning he posted the judge's picture on his instagram with a crosshair near her head. His attorneys filed a motion apologizing to the judge for it this afternoon.

Well, the important thing is that he's sorry.

Sorry that the so-called patsy judge is in the thrall of the Deep State! #Benghazi

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Dear Debbie,

Need the brain trust's thoughts. I had previously posted about this offer before.

A solo whose firm is doing about 1-1.2 million gross wants me to be his associate. He claims he's turning down work and clients and has never hired an associate before but his wife wants him to work less. He's offered a decent starting salary (smallish raise over what I'm making now) with promises of doubling the salary over 2-3 years. I met with him for 2-3 hours this weekend and he showed me his current work load, his clients, explained his relationships with his clients and let me examine his accounting. He says after 5-7 years he wants to retire and hand off his major client to me.

He has a negative reputation among Plaintiff lawyers because he usually doesn't settle cases. He tried 60+ cases over the last two years and got defense verdicts in about 50.

The biggest issue is that I don't really know the guy. He was opposing counsel on two cases 3-4 years ago and I see him at the Court house occasionally. I'm a good lawyer but not a "I want to give this guy my firm" good. I asked him "why me" and he said he didn't know but he liked the fact that I used to have my own firm and I seem "genuine." I told him I would want some clear path to get to the "doubling" of my salary and wouldn't agree to some amorphous platitudes about "seeing what the future holds, etc." He agreed but I haven't seen it yet.

I currently have a good gig with decent pay and no real complaints.

Sincerely,
Confused in Texas

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He wants to sleep with your wife and assume your identity.

Sorry thats just how it is.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
How good are you at fabricating email chains ?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I can write entire reply briefs.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
whenever I read american legal drafting I'm always surprised at how polemical and inflammatory it is. see for example - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5743648-Complaint.html

american lawyers seem to write like pissy baby schoolchildren, with SCOTUS being the absolute best at it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Even if you get poo poo in writing, how enforceable is "I swear I'll give you my best client"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
American legal drafting is loving tame compared to international law filings from countries like Russia and China.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

terrorist ambulance posted:

whenever I read american legal drafting I'm always surprised at how polemical and inflammatory it is. see for example - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5743648-Complaint.html

american lawyers seem to write like pissy baby schoolchildren, with SCOTUS being the absolute best at it

Discendo Vox posted:

American legal drafting is loving tame compared to international law filings from countries like Russia and China.

British counsel can also be pretty petty, which I learned when I was thanked for an “undated letter”. And I guess, sure, that’s on me, but I didn’t really give a gently caress cause both a signed form and a signed headshot of the client flipping me off we’re both positive outcomes for me. (It was a largely irrelevant patent issue but because there was an unrelated lawsuit involved I had to go through counsel).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

Dear Debbie,

Need the brain trust's thoughts. I had previously posted about this offer before.

A solo whose firm is doing about 1-1.2 million gross wants me to be his associate. He claims he's turning down work and clients and has never hired an associate before but his wife wants him to work less. He's offered a decent starting salary (smallish raise over what I'm making now) with promises of doubling the salary over 2-3 years. I met with him for 2-3 hours this weekend and he showed me his current work load, his clients, explained his relationships with his clients and let me examine his accounting. He says after 5-7 years he wants to retire and hand off his major client to me.

He has a negative reputation among Plaintiff lawyers because he usually doesn't settle cases. He tried 60+ cases over the last two years and got defense verdicts in about 50.

The biggest issue is that I don't really know the guy. He was opposing counsel on two cases 3-4 years ago and I see him at the Court house occasionally. I'm a good lawyer but not a "I want to give this guy my firm" good. I asked him "why me" and he said he didn't know but he liked the fact that I used to have my own firm and I seem "genuine." I told him I would want some clear path to get to the "doubling" of my salary and wouldn't agree to some amorphous platitudes about "seeing what the future holds, etc." He agreed but I haven't seen it yet.

I currently have a good gig with decent pay and no real complaints.

Sincerely,
Confused in Texas

"He says after 5-7 years he wants to retire and hand off his major client to me."

Classic, lol.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks. When I explained why I left the criminal defense firm, neither interviewer seemed to take my short tenure there as a negative. One of the interviewers is a former public defender. The other knows my former boss well. They both just said it was good I found out fast that I couldn't do crim-law rather than 10 years down the road when I have a drug/alcohol problem.

I agree. SV did a good job.

Wow. I've seen some bad moves but that is a bad move. Over here that'd get your rear end gleefully charged with threats, as a judge is a servant of the state.

As a fellow interview-participator I am getting sick and tired of going on interviews, putting in effort and getting no-offered due to the job market being saturated with overly qualified candidates. It's depressing. I even got turned down for a pretty basic municipal case worker gig I was pretty overqualified for, for a candidate with more experience who normally shouldn't even have applied. Local job market is just hosed. I hate being in a position where I'm "lucky to have a job" and what that means for my own bargaining power and future plans, as well as my persistent burnout symptoms. I hate that I was promised work pretty much anywhere because nothing was as sought after as a law degree.

Go to law school.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

never stopped you before

dang

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I mean that lawsuit is a political document first and a legal document second, 80% PR, and was written to be read by reporters. Most run of the mill legal writing is boring and matter of fact.

Same for judicial opinions. The higher up you go the worse it is. SCOTUS is above all an autoerotic fartsniffing enterprise with political characteristics.

I like the French cour de cassation. Opinions are one page and the holding is up front and clear.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Pook Good Mook posted:

Even if you get poo poo in writing, how enforceable is "I swear I'll give you my best client"?

I'm not so worried about that and I think it's bs. I'm much more interested in doubling my salary.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm not so worried about that and I think it's bs. I'm much more interested in doubling my salary.

Will you be doubling your workload though? Sounds like he wants a workhorse.

Also lol Roger Stone

https://mobile.twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1097880949935800320

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stone’s judge issued a show cause order and set a hearing for next Tuesday as to why she should not gag Stone himself and also if he violated his pretrial release conditions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Stone’s judge issued a show cause order and set a hearing for next Tuesday as to why she should not gag Stone himself and also if he violated his pretrial release conditions.

:getin:carcerated

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't speak for international law filings from China, but those from Russia are drafted by the British and the Frenchmen (except ECtHR). Lol if you think a Russian has ever drafted anything international law-related (except ECtHR)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Same for judicial opinions. The higher up you go the worse it is. SCOTUS is above all an autoerotic fartsniffing enterprise with political characteristics.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm really getting at. When the different wings of the court are openly sniping at each other over the political divide, doesnt do much for the legitimacy of the court.

Also, SCOTUS recently refused a stay and let a guy get executed without an imam being present because he slept on his rights when the lower courts found specifically that he didn't. Lol. Gorsuch and Beer Bro fitting right in

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Will you be doubling your workload though? Sounds like he wants a workhorse.

Also lol Roger Stone

https://mobile.twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1097880949935800320

This stuff makes me wonder if hes actually a troll or just has no fear of consequences after a life of not being held accountable for anything. Same with Manafort, who earned himself a life in jail by his post offence conduct and who was surely counseled against it. They must really think that they're impervious

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This stuff makes me wonder if hes actually a troll or just has no fear of consequences after a life of not being held accountable for anything. Same with Manafort, who earned himself a life in jail by his post offence conduct and who was surely counseled against it. They must really think that they're impervious

It's because typically rich white people are impervious.

If Stone was a poor drug offender, that show cause order would have also came with a no-bond warrant and the hearing would be in 20-30 days. Instead he's going to go in, his lawyers are going to kiss rear end, he's going to say he's sorry to the judge and say it wasn't a threat and/or an intern put it up, and then nothing will happen.

I'd love to see her revoke his bond and set a new one at a quarter of a million again at least, but I don't think she'll.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
They're both anticipating a pardon.

They're both gonna get one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also, SCOTUS recently refused a stay and let a guy get executed without an imam being present because he slept on his rights when the lower courts found specifically that he didn't. Lol. Gorsuch and Beer Bro fitting right in

This was the most cruel and revolting decision I’ve seen in a while. Made me sick.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This was the most cruel and revolting decision I’ve seen in a while. Made me sick.

They at least stopped Texas and the 5th circuit from executing a retarded man, though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

Sincerely,
Confused in Texas

If the guy is offering a partnership, but never manages to call it "Partnership," what's the hesitation there?

It may be he's trying to bait and switch you and take some of your book, and run you ragged until you quit before this mythical raise ever comes.

It may be that he really does want to retire, but can't quite bring himself to actually set it up properly because then "it's really happening."

If he's genuine, then he should be able to articulate his objections to an initial partnership on an annual step up basis (start at, say 20%, and go up 7.5% per year) and do the same with a salary plan.

Structure profit sharing on a pure billing/collection basis so he's not worrying about you coming on and sitting on your hands while he does all the work.

Frame it as, "This would be the most formal structure of what it sounds like you want to do. What are your thoughts and concerns? My concerns are obviously chasing the two birds in the bush, here; I want my next move to be building off of the career I've already built for myself, not starting over."

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah working based on the future promises of someone you have no relationship with or reason to trust seems like a recipe for heartbreak

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
He's planning on buying a big life insurance policy on you since you'll be part of the "team" and then killing you 5-7 years later so he can "retire". Don't fall for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Good advice. The problem is he bills flat fee for cases so there are no "billable hours." He makes 5-7k per case and has about 300 active cases.