Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The sad thing is the studio Lasseter moved to has been flooded with applications since he joined and there’s even rumblings of high profile Pixar and Disney execs leaving to join him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ccs posted:

The sad thing is the studio Lasseter moved to has been flooded with applications since he joined and there’s even rumblings of high profile Pixar and Disney execs leaving to join him there.

Rumors have been claiming Disney execs have been leaving ever since the Star Wars fiasco. Also, they will probably have a repeat of that with Captain Marvel because of Brie Larson and the execs trying to spin it as a movie that it's not.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I mean, Pixar has been having a brain drain problem for years. I think people are just more willing to acknowledge and speak about it since Pixar's esteem has fallen recently and it suits the agenda of people on both sides to point it out, whether it's to frame it as people fleeing a toxic work environment or following their wrongfully excised boss. Same with the Star Wars/Marvel thing, a lot of the scuttlebutt is being perpetuated by angry fanboys who have a vested interest in showing that the people behind the scenes are just as mad as they are.

Sadly due to the lack of transparency and said conflict of interests there really isn't any good source for either beyond anecdotes and totally real "my uncle who works at Nintendo Disney told me..." stories.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably doesn't hurt/help that 'I worked at Pixar' is likely an instant ticket to anywhere else in animation.

Reminded of Adventure Time which suffered some brain drawn because half the main people on it got their own shows.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Same with the Star Wars/Marvel thing, a lot of the scuttlebutt is being perpetuated by angry fanboys who have a vested interest in showing that the people behind the scenes are just as mad as they are.

Sadly due to the lack of transparency and said conflict of interests there really isn't any good source for either beyond anecdotes and totally real "my uncle who works at Nintendo Disney told me..." stories.

I got my source from some lovely website my roommate linked me to. I'm suspect of it so I won't link it here as I think it's just some angry fanboy or altright or whatever trying to sabotage the movie because he hates Star Wars. I went back to reread the post and it's super lovely so, apologizes for spreading that garbage.

For what it's worth, I liked the new SW movies and Captain Marvel looks like it's going to be good. I'm just not happy with CM releasing so drat close to Endgame and possibly making people skip CM once Endgame drops over stupid fan bullshit which might make Disney/Marvel think the movie flopped and not make any more female-lead movies in fear of it flopping.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looking forward to this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2yXKckfuA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I got my source from some lovely website my roommate linked me to. I'm suspect of it so I won't link it here as I think it's just some angry fanboy or altright or whatever trying to sabotage the movie because he hates Star Wars. I went back to reread the post and it's super lovely so, apologizes for spreading that garbage.

For what it's worth, I liked the new SW movies and Captain Marvel looks like it's going to be good. I'm just not happy with CM releasing so drat close to Endgame and possibly making people skip CM once Endgame drops over stupid fan bullshit which might make Disney/Marvel think the movie flopped and not make any more female-lead movies in fear of it flopping.

This is what happens when every new piece of media has to erase all previous progress and be the groundbreaking first for comic book movies with a female/black main character, it means every failure must indict the entire concept, which obviously has never been tried before.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So the streams are available for this now it seems? Annoying that I still have to wait a month for the disc copy just to witness it again without a lovely bitrate.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I don’t know if it’s available somewhere else sooner, but it’s not out on iTunes in the US until the 26th

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean it’s online but it’s not a great version. I’m waiting for the 4K bluray

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So I saw this film three times in a week now, and it really is amazing.

Two things though:

Gwen says she was in the other dimension for a week already, how did that work?

The bit with MJ at the Kingpin fundraiser thing, it looks like she gets up to do a speech and instead orders some bread. It felt weird.

Bit of a weird timing. Otherwise the movie is fantastic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://twitter.com/DrWheetos/status/1099172510048894976

I have it in my head that one of these variations of Vanessa and son is from a dimension where Fisk is a totally normal and even cool dude, and this event just ruined his life as he comes home to Vanessa leaving him for no reason he can understand.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

So I saw this film three times in a week now, and it really is amazing.

Two things though:

Gwen says she was in the other dimension for a week already, how did that work?

The bit with MJ at the Kingpin fundraiser thing, it looks like she gets up to do a speech and instead orders some bread. It felt weird.

Bit of a weird timing. Otherwise the movie is fantastic.

Presumably the supercollider hiccuped or something when it pulled her in. Considering everything else that happened, it doing funky things with spacetime. If you think about it, it might even be a stable time loop. If Gwen's not pulled in a week early, then Miles never gets his hand stuck to her hair, which was probably the catylyst for him finding out about his powers and going to find the spider, which leads to him getting tangled up in Peter's last fight. If Peter hadn't had to take time out to save him, then Gren Goblin might not have recovered in time to stop him from triggering the goober. But since he did, Peter got shoved into the supercollider, which in turn pulled Gwen into Miles' universe.

This deleted scene's pretty cool, although I think they were right to cut it. I think they used some of the dialogue for the trailer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Argue posted:

https://twitter.com/DrWheetos/status/1099172510048894976

I have it in my head that one of these variations of Vanessa and son is from a dimension where Fisk is a totally normal and even cool dude, and this event just ruined his life as he comes home to Vanessa leaving him for no reason he can understand.

Fittingly, there was an alternate universe where Wilson Fisk adopted Matt Murdock. Matt ended up making him a better person with intent on going legitimate, but then Richard got jealous and pissy about it and had Wilson killed. Matt killed Richard and ended up being forced into being the new Kingpin.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
loving OSCAR WINNER Y'ALL! :toot:

Edit: I just realised they held off the physical release so they could put the Oscar winner thing on the cover (or not if they hadn't).

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 25, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1099859388498509824

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yesssss very well deserved

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not only did this movie end up causing Lamps to be put in time out in time for my birthday, they cited representation as a goal in the awards speech (approx 40-50 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkNVaa4RTY

:bisonyes:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They kind of missed a trick not giving them bowties. You already did it in the movie for the gala scene, guys c'mon!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

FilthyImp posted:

Not only did this movie end up causing Lamps to be put in time out in time for my birthday, they cited representation as a goal in the awards speech (approx 40-50 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkNVaa4RTY

:bisonyes:

I know I’m a filthy nerd loser for these dead gay forums for that but at work when I read they said that I was like “yes! Suck it forums poster idiot!”

Edit: I’m completely serious about this I realised it might look like a joke it’s not

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I haven't seen this posted yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXUG_vN540

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dumb gay forums stuff aside, i'm happy that a non-disney animated feature (and one with a black protag from a multicultural background that didn't shy away from urban culture) actually got a fair shake.

I was sure the voters were going to have another Get Out moment and overlook it. Wonder if the push to get more variety in the membership had an effect.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Does anyone know where I can buy this digitally tomorrow that is 4k with HDR or Dolby Vision guaranteed?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Comfortador posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy this digitally tomorrow that is 4k with HDR or Dolby Vision guaranteed?

Looks like Vudu will offer Dolby Vision+Atmos but it'll depend on the platform you playback from.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea VUDU seems to be the best place for 4k rentals with HDR/Dolby. The stuff available on Prime has the 4k resolution but most of it isn't HDR enabled, as far as I know.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Overheard in the Oscars green room after the ceremony:

“They got me,” Brad Bird said of Spiderverse's win over him. "That f***ing Lord and Miller boomed me."
Bird added, “They're so good,” repeating it four times.
Bird then said he wanted to add Lord and Miller to the list of filmmakers he collaborateswith this summer.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Basebf555 posted:

Yea VUDU seems to be the best place for 4k rentals with HDR/Dolby. The stuff available on Prime has the 4k resolution but most of it isn't HDR enabled, as far as I know.

Rentals only?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Comfortador posted:

Rentals only?
You can purchase on VUDU but considering the 4k+BRD+DC pack (due in 2 weeks) includes a digital copy, it may be an expensive double dip

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Finally watched this and if anyone was wondering Kathryn Hahn playing a female Doc Ock was a decision made just for me.

Shneak fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 27, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like that twist is brilliant enough to spoiler tag just in case.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that should be spoiled just in case. I still can't believe that the two most recent Spider-Man films managed to surprise me with a villian reveal, I should know better by now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does anyone have that comic cover of Aunt May marrying Doc Ock, and the Spiderverse equivalent?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Rumors have been claiming Disney execs have been leaving ever since the Star Wars fiasco.
What Star Wars fiasco?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Miller and Lord getting booted off Solo and replaced by Ron Howard, presumably.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

hiddenriverninja posted:

That really wouldn't explain why people are following Lasseter to his new post, so I doubt that's what ThermoPhysical was talking about.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

More broadly their attempt to transition Star Wars into an expanded universe franchise à la Marvel, a plan the looks to have been completely scuttled at this point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Film’s getting a rerelease this weekend, including in IMAX!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Film’s getting a rerelease this weekend, including in IMAX!

Just checked my local cinema, 2 shows a day at midday kinda times but I'll deal with that to see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It actually feels like it never left the AMCs I frequent. :dance: