Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I seem to remember some games back in the P4 era (*ahem* EQ2 I'm looking at you *ahem*) that bragged that they were including such advanced graphical options that you'd need hardware two generations down the line to enable all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
gently caress your hardware. In fact, melt it down:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Crytek-Crysis-3-Keplar-FPS-Melting-PC,news-39673.html

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm at the point where my current system is having a tough-ish time running some games like Watch Dogs 2 and I'm wondering if a video card upgrade could be in my future.

Right now I have an i5-4670 with 8 GB of RAM and a 970 GTX video card.

I'm not exactly sure what my upgrade path looks like. The 2070 looks quite a bit better than what I have but it doesn't seem to be different from the 1070, which is nearly as old as my 970.

What do you guys recommend? Or do I just buy more RAM and wait for different cards to come out?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Vasler posted:

I'm at the point where my current system is having a tough-ish time running some games like Watch Dogs 2 and I'm wondering if a video card upgrade could be in my future.

Right now I have an i5-4670 with 8 GB of RAM and a 970 GTX video card.

I'm not exactly sure what my upgrade path looks like. The 2070 looks quite a bit better than what I have but it doesn't seem to be different from the 1070, which is nearly as old as my 970.

What do you guys recommend? Or do I just buy more RAM and wait for different cards to come out?

The 2070 is about equal to the 1080. The 2060 is about equal to the 1070Ti, which in turn is almost twice as fast as the 970.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

TheFluff posted:

The 2070 is about equal to the 1080. The 2060 is about equal to the 1070Ti, which in turn is almost twice as fast as the 970.

Thanks! To spell this out for me so its crystal clear - a 2070 would be a good upgrade?

I left out a crucial piece of information in my last post. I game in 1080p.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Vasler posted:

Thanks! To spell this out for me so its crystal clear - a 2070 would be a good upgrade?

I left out a crucial piece of information in my last post. I game in 1080p.

Buy a used 1080 or a used 2070

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you have a 1080p or 1440p monitor, i would go with a 2060 instead of a 2070. An OCed 2060 will match a 2070 and save a good deal of money. The downsides are the RTX is probably never going to be super useful, and the lower vram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko19q_3kTg

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Hunt around for a used 1070(ti) and get yourself into a mental place where you'll have to ditch that 4 CPU threads/DDR3 setup this year.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. I've been using 2×GTX 680 for the greater part of this past decade. I started playing Metro Exodus, and it only runs at suitable framerate at a lower-than-native res on low settings. That's fine and it still looks nice, but I'm wondering if it would be useful to upgrade, if I wish to be able to play other modern/future games. Would likely buy a RTX 2080 to replace it. I've examined this question several times over the past few years, and it appeared that (then)current cards would only have marginal improvement.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. I've been using 2×GTX 680 for the greater part of this past decade. I started playing Metro Exodus, and it only runs at suitable framerate at a lower-than-native res on low settings. That's fine and it still looks nice, but I'm wondering if it would be useful to upgrade, if I wish to be able to play other modern/future games. Would likely buy a RTX 2080 to replace it. I've examined this question several times over the past few years, and it appeared that (then)current cards would only have marginal improvement.

A single 680 is roughly equal to a 1050. While you have SLI lots of games are not even bothering to support SLI so you will basically have a 1050 for modern titles.

A 2080 would be a gigantic leap

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

680s only shipped with 2GB VRAM too, right? That's very rough for a game like Exodus. I didn't think about 1050s having the same amount so this is a pointless post. take this for steam. Q7KT8-3CN*T-83ZHV - the asterisk is a D. I'm really sorry for posting in here. Whoop my rear end

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dominoes posted:

A 2080 would be a very significant step up. Depending on your CPU situation you may want to look in that direction too, but the GPU would be night and day.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Much apprec. I noticed you can buy directly from Nvidia. Any reason to buy a branded (Gigabyte Evga etc) one off Amazon instead?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dominoes posted:

Much apprec. I noticed you can buy directly from Nvidia. Any reason to buy a branded (Gigabyte Evga etc) one off Amazon instead?

Warranty. EVGA probably has the easiest going warranty.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The anti 2060 circlejerk in the German Gaming online mags (of the heavily shifted towards AMD fanboys) leads to „no buy !“ threads and discussions now.
While I might understand the fears in 1440p gaming for the next years, I can’t remember any scenarios in full hd where 6 GB VRAM (insert heavily modded Skyrim meme here) are a bottleneck.
What did I miss? Is this anti nvidia bashing or actually fact-proof?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Price too, the Nvidia ones are more expensive, no one should pay over MSRP for their hardware.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Hunt around for a used 1070(ti) and get yourself into a mental place where you'll have to ditch that 4 CPU threads/DDR3 setup this year.

Thanks - I don't have a problem upgrading. For me (and I suspect most people) the big question is about timing.

I'll look for a used 1070 ti or 1080 and go from there. What's a good price for a 1070 ti or 1080? Is there a specific model to look for or avoid? I find shopping for video cards somewhat difficult as there are at least three different kinds for each model with pretty non-specific (to me anyway) differences that I can't figure out.

I know this is the GPU thread but when will it be a good time to actually upgrade my CPU/memory?

Edit: Is this a good card?

Vasler fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 19, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

1070 Tis are the way to go if you care about warranty. They launched Nov 2017, so you're guaranteed at least 1.5 years of warranty remaining on EVGA, Gigabyte or MSi models. Anything dual-fan is decent, barring the MSi Armor which is hotter and louder than some blowers. EVGA 1070 Tis regularly sell for $270-290 and I wouldn't pay more than that. Considering that 2060s and Vega 56s come bundled with 3 free games, it might still be worth paying a bit extra for one.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

The anti 2060 circlejerk in the German Gaming online mags (of the heavily shifted towards AMD fanboys) leads to „no buy !“ threads and discussions now.
While I might understand the fears in 1440p gaming for the next years, I can’t remember any scenarios in full hd where 6 GB VRAM (insert heavily modded Skyrim meme here) are a bottleneck.

The biggest issue is that RTX 2060 is supposed to supersede the GTX 1070 which has 8GB VRAM and you can get used/heavily discounted 1070ti's for the about the same money. 6GB is fine now, but you generally want to keep a GPU at least a year or two and texture size has gone up pretty quickly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mr.PayDay posted:

My take is that nvidia has been doing lots of dumb things on the marketing side, and that is adding baggage on the part itself. That mixed with people having high expectations hasnt been a good combo for the whole 20 series launch.

I think if you remove the names Nvidia and RTX from it and just look at it as a generic part, it is faster or equal to the 1070 Ti and Vega 56 consistently, and has a lower MSRP and street price than either. It seems to have good headroom and when OCed stretches ahead of them further. It also has a lower TDP, and some wizbang features that may or may not ever get used but eh. Since its a better performer in non-RTX than the cards its fighting in the price bracket, the RTX tease doesn't matter much.

The only hesitation is the 6gigs of ram, which we already argued about a few pages ago, but my take is that it isn't a big deal now and not likely to be a big deal in the future at the resolutions the card will live at (ie not 4k). For 1080 or 1440p, it is a solid buy if you dont want used (and i dont blame you).

At this point, I feel like the 2070 is the more questionable product in the stack. Feels like most people would be better off either saving $100+ and going overclocked 2060 or spending the extra $100 and stepping up to a full bore 2080.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

craig588 posted:

Price too, the Nvidia ones are more expensive, no one should pay over MSRP for their hardware.

To be fair they're overclocked and want to be compared to the better third party SKUs which all cost much more than MSRP, unlike previous generations the RTX 2000-series Nvidia designs are not the very basic option outperformed by most custom designs.

Arzachel posted:

The biggest issue is that RTX 2060 is supposed to supersede the GTX 1070 which has 8GB VRAM and you can get used/heavily discounted 1070ti's for the about the same money. 6GB is fine now, but you generally want to keep a GPU at least a year or two and texture size has gone up pretty quickly.

Textures are part of the issue but most modern game engines manage textures vs. VRAM pretty efficiently (ie. if you have more RAM you get the better textures but similar performance) even though there are edge cases where this leads to noticeable differences in frametimes (GTX 970's weird memory setup was hit by this too, and yes there are games that already run into this in 1080p on current cards). It's certainly not a good look if it happens in a new game on a new video card vs. an old one with more VRAM. The other issue is raytracing though, if you buy a RTX 2060 (vs. a used GTX 1070 Ti or possibly the upcoming GTX 1660 Ti) you might want to use the shiny new raytracing feature and since that eats more VRAM too, the limitation might show sooner than you'd like. So of the new cards to skip because of memory I'd argue it should actually be the 2060. Get a 1070 Ti/1660 Ti or move up to faster cards with at least 8 GB of VRAM (even if you're only playing in 1440p).

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 19, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cygni posted:

My take is that nvidia has been doing lots of dumb things on the marketing side, and that is adding baggage on the part itself. That mixed with people having high expectations hasnt been a good combo for the whole 20 series launch.

I think if you remove the names Nvidia and RTX from it and just look at it as a generic part, it is faster or equal to the 1070 Ti and Vega 56 consistently, and has a lower MSRP and street price than either. It seems to have good headroom and when OCed stretches ahead of them further. It also has a lower TDP, and some wizbang features that may or may not ever get used but eh. Since its a better performer in non-RTX than the cards its fighting in the price bracket, the RTX tease doesn't matter much.

The only hesitation is the 6gigs of ram, which we already argued about a few pages ago, but my take is that it isn't a big deal now and not likely to be a big deal in the future at the resolutions the card will live at (ie not 4k). For 1080 or 1440p, it is a solid buy if you dont want used (and i dont blame you).

At this point, I feel like the 2070 is the more questionable product in the stack. Feels like most people would be better off either saving $100+ and going overclocked 2060 or spending the extra $100 and stepping up to a full bore 2080.

Just a small quibble the 1070 Ti outperforms the 2060 more often than not (though less often in newer games). Also, 2060->2070 is $150 and 2070->2080 is another $200, but the 2070 sits pretty much halfway between the 2060 an 2080 on performance. More importantly the 2070 is sufficient for a solid 60+ fps at 1440p/Ultra in most games so if you're running 1440p 2060->2070 is going to be much more noticeable than 2070->2080.

E: Honestly, the most disappointing aspect of the 2060 is that it's existence means that we won't get a 1070 Ti-level Turing GTX card.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 19, 2019

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Vasler posted:

Thanks - I don't have a problem upgrading. For me (and I suspect most people) the big question is about timing.

I'll look for a used 1070 ti or 1080 and go from there. What's a good price for a 1070 ti or 1080? Is there a specific model to look for or avoid? I find shopping for video cards somewhat difficult as there are at least three different kinds for each model with pretty non-specific (to me anyway) differences that I can't figure out.

I know this is the GPU thread but when will it be a good time to actually upgrade my CPU/memory?

Edit: Is this a good card?

Yeah that is a great 1080 model, but it's not gonna stay at 199CAD. Anyting from that brand is good (they have lots of models), other top choices are Asus Strix or MSI Gaming.
Avoid blower style coolers, and models with Armor or Dual in the name. Those are very simple black cards with two fans, not a lot of mass; they look cheap and tend to be loud under load.
Used 1070ti should be a tad over 300USD, not sure about Canada.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Stickman posted:

Just a small quibble the 1070 Ti outperforms the 2060 more often than not (though less often in newer games).

Thats not what I've really seen in the reviews I've looked at, but they are close enough that it might be down to partner board clocks in the tests for either/both.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cygni posted:

Thats not what I've really seen in the reviews I've looked at, but they are close enough that it might be down to partner board clocks in the tests for either/both.

Sorry, meant to include the link for that one. They even went with a blower FE 1070 Ti vs dual-fan FE 2060. But yeah, they are pretty neck-and-neck, especially on newer games at 1440p or less (though userbenchmark's +6% edge to the 1070 Ti is a bit baffling to me - maybe just user bias?)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

orcane posted:

Textures are part of the issue but most modern game engines manage textures vs. VRAM pretty efficiently (ie. if you have more RAM you get the better textures but similar performance) even though there are edge cases where this leads to noticeable differences in frametimes (GTX 970's weird memory setup was hit by this too, and yes there are games that already run into this in 1080p on current cards). It's certainly not a good look if it happens in a new game on a new video card vs. an old one with more VRAM. The other issue is raytracing though, if you buy a RTX 2060 (vs. a used GTX 1070 Ti or possibly the upcoming GTX 1660 Ti) you might want to use the shiny new raytracing feature and since that eats more VRAM too, the limitation might show sooner than you'd like. So of the new cards to skip because of memory I'd argue it should actually be the 2060. Get a 1070 Ti/1660 Ti or move up to faster cards with at least 8 GB of VRAM (even if you're only playing in 1440p).

I would agree completely if the 2060 would've launched with <300$ msrp, but right now it's a weird combo of cutting corners while being priced above what I would consider mid-range.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey guys,

I don't post in this thread much, and I'm sorry in advance if this has been posted already, but I hope this can help someone. Frys has been giving out in-person 20% off coupons on the weekend if you're one of the first 40 people in the store. It works on your entire shopping cart as well. There isn't a lot of competition for the coupons, so as long as you show up around opening you should be fine on the days they offer it.

They have the MSI Ventus 2080 on sale, and it stacks with the coupon, so the end result is you can get a 2080 for $550. Or slightly more if you want a different card. The coupon itself works as long as you spend over $400 total on checkout, and I don't see any restrictions on video cards, so you can probably get whatever card you want as long as it's not too cheap.

Just a heads up. I picked up the 2080 yesterday morning and it's a drat fine card for $550.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for all your help guys. I do have one more question (I hope this is the last one).

Looking at the 1070 Ti prices (used), they're very similar to what a new 2060 costs. What are the pros/cons of getting a used 1070 Ti vs a new 2060?

This sounds like a stupid question but there must be some reason why used cards are being recommended over new ones.

Is the 1070/2060 going to be a short-term solution until a new generation comes out or will it last for a while?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Yeah, that's been the trade-off for Vulkan: finer grain control, and better performance potential, but a much bigger share of the work to wring performance out of the system got shifted from the professional driver teams at NVidia/AMD over to Bob, your local game dev, who may or may not know what the gently caress.
I looked into Vulkan just recently when creating a new app from scratch, and it's waaaay more work than OpenGL, which is pretty verbose an involves plenty of boilerplate as it is. No doubt an expert in the subject matter can figure it out and make it work but I'm not surprised that most devs aren't switching from DX12 which everyone already knows.

Arzachel posted:

I would agree completely if the 2060 would've launched with <300$ msrp, but right now it's a weird combo of cutting corners while being priced above what I would consider mid-range.
I paid almost $400 for my 1070 in 2017 so on the one hand this is cheaper and faster, but on the other hand yeah, I'd want the x60 card to be $250 or something.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would get a 2060 over a 1070 Ti for the same price. 1070 Tis make a lot more sense used in regions where they're cheaper than a 2060.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I need a mini card, up to 225mm length.

Think I might go for a zotac 2070 mini.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I really like zotac

That is all

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Statutory Ape posted:

I really like zotac

That is all

They're kind of evil but they gave me a lot of swag at PAX South a few years back. A company of contrasts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They gave me my 1070 mini when nobody else would (for the aforementioned $400 admittedly) so they have that going for them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How evil are they 0 - 10?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just ordered an AW3418DW so I need a gpu to run that bad boy, thinking EVGA RTX 2070 Black. They’re around $700CAD (~$530USD) or less after rebate most places around here. Any better options?

Figure I’ll go for the 8GB vram instead of 6 for future proofing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

When I say I like them, I just mean that I own one of their gtx1060s and it was cheap and works real nice

Don't know about their politics, don't care

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

priznat posted:

Just ordered an AW3418DW so I need a gpu to run that bad boy, thinking EVGA RTX 2070 Black. They’re around $700CAD (~$530USD) or less after rebate most places around here. Any better options?

Go with a 2080 or better if you want to hit 100fps to max out the refresh of that display.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Don Lapre posted:

Go with a 2080 or better if you want to hit 100fps to max out the refresh of that display.

Oh drat that’s gettin expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

priznat posted:

Where are you finding the 2070 black for $700 CAD? I've only been able to find that card for $800+ CAD.