Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jesus WEP posted:

if you can’t commit to a dog, get a long doggo

even if you can commit to a dog, still get a long doggo

long boys best boys

dachshunds were specifically bred to be annoying

pet the heck out of everyone else’s dachshunds but don’t ever get your own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I’ve never met a long-haired dachshund that sucked, and I’ve never met a short-haired dachshund that didn’t

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Czech working line GSD supremacy :colbert:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i have a long dog

he's a cardigan corgi and is very chill unlike pembrokes

here he is right this second

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

feedmegin posted:

Get, like, four cats instead

doesn’t help with the issue of not getting outside. might make it worse tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

shoechat: gonna get some thousand miles pretty soon

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

doesn’t help with the issue of not getting outside. might make it worse tho

yeah i have 2 cats and i barely go outside. because taking depression naps with your cats is :unsmith:

really hoping getting figgies and going into an office helps me unfuck myself. mostly the figgies though

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'll be getting a dog in a couple of weeks. Excited for this little guy to come home:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

salary chat: 2018 in nyc i was at $120k with no bonus and poo poo bennies. moved to boston for $155k 15% bonus and top tier benefits. i work in security architecture.

i'll probably be back in nyc within 2-3 years honestly. this was a good move short term because last job was total poo poo, but the wife wants to re-enter the workforce when the kid starts going to school and her industry is almost exclusively in new york.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Goddamn do I hate this "Culture Index" survey-not-a-test bullshit.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Hm. I make 101k CAD in Vancouver after bonus. I've been working for 4 years. I need to get a better job I think. I'm just barely into six figgies and it's in Canadian too. Ugh.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Xarn posted:

I am 28 and also have no idea what are the adventures of Pete and Pete. :shrug:

28 is solidly millennial, pete and pete was more of a borderline millennial thing, since it aired 93-96. I remember watching it as a kid but I'd probably appreciate it a lot more today

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Acer Pilot posted:

Hm. I make 101k CAD in Vancouver after bonus. I've been working for 4 years. I need to get a better job I think. I'm just barely into six figgies and it's in Canadian too. Ugh.

For 4 years exp that's not bad in Vancouver. But you can definitely get more. At Amazon you'll be a solid 120k base salary at least.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ADINSX posted:

28 is solidly millennial, pete and pete was more of a borderline millennial thing, since it aired 93-96. I remember watching it as a kid but I'd probably appreciate it a lot more today

I was the right age for Pete and Pete but wasn't allowed to watch Nickelodeon (and I didn't really enjoy it when I did, anyhow).

Nickelodeon is a weird loving name for a tv network btw

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

Nickelodeon is a weird loving name for a tv network btw

it makes perfect sense as a network full of light entertainment for children

think about it as a hyphenated word: nickel-odeon. in other words, a theatre with very inexpensive tickets

the kind of theatre that might cater to kids

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

salary chat: I make about 130k as a mobile dev w about 3 years professional experience (and a lot of amateur work before that) Benefits are typical for a us company but bad for a tech role. Seattle

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

salary chat: I make about 130k as a mobile dev w about 3 years professional experience (and a lot of amateur work before that) Benefits are typical for a us company but bad for a tech role. Seattle

That's not too bad imo... I made around 145 in Seattle but with about 10 years of experience... which is the reason I'm looking for another job right now :p

My wife makes 140 with 4 years of experience, the real number is likely gonna be more since it doesn't include bonus/rsu or anything, but that's at a larger company. Are you at a small or large shop? The salary differences are insane

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I'm being put on a performance review plan for having the audacity to not work weekends. Manager just told me she wanted to avoid this because if(she means when) i'm let got the company will give a bad reference if they're contacted for employment verification. What the gently caress is this horseshit? Seems super illegal and like a tactic to get me to quit.

I'm kind of panicking now and I hope I don't gently caress up the phone screens I have lined up.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

So I'm being put on a performance review plan for having the audacity to not work weekends. Manager just told me she wanted to avoid this because if(she means when) i'm let got the company will give a bad reference if they're contacted for employment verification. What the gently caress is this horseshit? Seems super illegal and like a tactic to get me to quit.

I'm kind of panicking now and I hope I don't gently caress up the phone screens I have lined up.

drat dude that's loving bullshit, I'm really sorry to hear that. Whats the timeline for your performance review plans? The nice thing (if there is a nice thing about this situation) is that they probably won't do anything until the end of the period, so you have a few months to get something else lined up.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KidDynamite posted:

"normal" employers will only say whether you are eligible for re-hire.

if you were fired, the answer to that question is "no," which is bad.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

KidDynamite posted:

I'd get some actual legal advice, this seems like a huge amount of bullshit right here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't honestly say I even know what my industry is or if I even have one

besides i guess ten years as a tiny cog in the military industrial complex at oldjob but i don't want nor feel qualified to call it mine

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

i don't want nor feel qualified to call it mine
you've already spent more time agonizing over this pleasantry than the sum total of persons asking you consider your answer

"i've been working on CRUD apps that feed into $CLASSIFIED"
"well, my background is in the MIC, but due to some recent changes and self-searching i want to move into the broader software community"

christ my business card had "digital systems engineer" when i conned folks into letting me write software

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"normal" employers will only say whether you are eligible for re-hire.

if you were fired, the answer to that question is "no," which is bad.

good to know. new job. or quit before the program end date.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

That's not too bad imo... I made around 145 in Seattle but with about 10 years of experience... which is the reason I'm looking for another job right now :p

My wife makes 140 with 4 years of experience, the real number is likely gonna be more since it doesn't include bonus/rsu or anything, but that's at a larger company. Are you at a small or large shop? The salary differences are insane

medium sized? about 100 people in my tech division that's part of a larger non-technical company. I'm looking for new work as well because of the lackluster benefits and poor raises

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

I can't honestly say I even know what my industry is or if I even have one

besides i guess ten years as a tiny cog in the military industrial complex at oldjob but i don't want nor feel qualified to call it mine

like Jawnv6 said, who cares if you feel ownership. just call yourself whatever will get the job. I have a poetry degree and it didn't stop me from pitching myself as a software engineer when the time to get that job. get comfortable just making poo poo up. it's what the rest of us are doing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

seconding the get real legal advice suggestion. they’re angling to be able to deny you unemployment when they cut you loose and this sounds like a bullshit excuse. make sure you don’t sign anything until you’ve talked to someone qualified

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

seconding the get real legal advice suggestion. they’re angling to be able to deny you unemployment when they cut you loose and this sounds like a bullshit excuse. make sure you don’t sign anything until you’ve talked to someone qualified

it doesn't matter

the whole point of a performance improvement plan is to have documented reasons to fire you for cause and deny you unemployment.

you might ultimately prevail in the contest for unemployment benefits, but will you care? it's a pitiful amount of money, and by then you will have been fired

the PIP is months of notice, to you, that it's time to go. don't ignore it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KidDynamite posted:

Never quit, never resign, always get fired. UI doesn’t kick in if you don’t get involuntarily separated.

UI will usually rule in your favor even if it’s “with cause” unless there’s like gross misconduct (like you get caught with ur dick in the xerox toner cartridge) or actual illegality.

YMMV and whatever, but I’ve been PIP’ed and fired in Wisconsin and it’s never stopped me from getting UI (although sometimes you have to appeal the initial finding).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2019

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Rest of my interviews went well. I got two questions that I didn't have good answers to but I just said "I don't have a lot of knowledge but here's what I do know" and he seemed pretty satisfied.

Felt good about the rest of the conversations. Could go either way but my gut says no.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 20, 2019

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want to hear a few no's usually when I'm interviewing someone because it means they can at least see a few of their own shortcomings. If they're "good" at everything they probably arent

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

medium sized? about 100 people in my tech division that's part of a larger non-technical company. I'm looking for new work as well because of the lackluster benefits and poor raises

That's not too bad in that case, the bigger tech companies (amazon, google, facebook, etc) would probably pay more but that would come with a lot of bureaucratic baggage, and you'd probably have a lot less freedom to solve problems independently.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

Rest of my interviews went well. I got two questions that I didn't have good answers to but I just said "I don't have a lot of knowledge but here's what I do know" and he seemed pretty satisfied.

this is a good sign

my contribution to salary survey: $150k total in nyc finance (tech not trading), after 8 years of unrelated academia + 2 years of industry (i'm a white man)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
what ppl here are posting now is more in line with what I'm making so I guess the Richie riches are more likely to brag about their salary itt lol

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
salary survey - 170k all in as a non software product manager in Australia. 35 year old white dude and bad poster, no degree.

seeing what a software PM makes in silica valley gives me the envy, but for non software jobs I think I’m doing okay.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it doesn't matter

the whole point of a performance improvement plan is to have documented reasons to fire you for cause and deny you unemployment.

you might ultimately prevail in the contest for unemployment benefits, but will you care? it's a pitiful amount of money, and by then you will have been fired

the PIP is months of notice, to you, that it's time to go. don't ignore it

IMO he should start looking for jobs and work the weekends they want as long as he is getting paid, might give a bit more time before the axe drops and build up a bigger safety net. Then quit on the spot when an offer comes in. gently caress em.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

plus 1 to never quit, unless you just signed another offer. being fired has nothing to do with collecting unemployment unless as was said you photocopy your butt and give everyone a copy

coming back from a PIP is the remote exception, not the rule. they are going to fire yo rear end, sorry, don't waste your weekends slaving away for nothing

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
the pip to fire transaction took like 14 months for me. but it seems like this dudes company is being a little bit more aggressive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
pip is basically "we are lining up all our ducks in order to fire you for cause in 2-3 months" and the moment you are put on one you need to start job-hunting full time

of the dozens of people ive seen go on pips, ive only seen one keep their job (a guy who was a good worker but who has habitually tardy. he got the message, started showing up on time, and was still there two years later when i left). for everyone else it was the prelude to an inevitable shitcanning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

FMguru posted:

pip is basically "we are lining up all our ducks in order to fire you for cause in 2-3 months" and the moment you are put on one you need to start job-hunting full time

of the dozens of people ive seen go on pips, ive only seen one keep their job (a guy who was a good worker but who has habitually tardy. he got the message, started showing up on time, and was still there two years later when i left). for everyone else it was the prelude to an inevitable shitcanning

This is spot on. If you're on a Pip the manager has pretty much made the decision you're out and is following a formal process so you don't sue the company afterwards. It also has the added benefit of giving you a grace period to start finding a job before you're unemployed. When I was managing a team, there was only one individual I was ever going to put on a PIP and that was after my team lead under me, and I had exhausted our options trying to work with them. They saw where things were heading and thankfully put in their resignation the day I was meeting with HR to formally begin the process (they had landed another job). If your manager isn't a psychopath it's also something they dread doing, but it sounds like yours is a turd.

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 20, 2019