Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ElNarez posted:

how the gently caress is access still a commodity when you can make reliable money just saying what people want to hear

you can still get views today shouting about the last jedi, what's the point in participating in this marketing scheme

Critics with blue checkmarks gushing about the latest MCU movie is what people want to hear. Having access to the fancy Disney screenings is a massive incentive, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“Retro & trippy, mysterious & dorky” reads like a tumblr fandom word cloud.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 20, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sounds like the same people who thought Captain America 2 or 3, whatever movie - was film noir. :lol:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like the same people who thought Captain America 2 or 3, whatever movie - was film noir. :lol:

lol at people who think cap 2 was a "political thriller", how loving shallow is your movie experience if you think that movie can even closely be described as a political thriller

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was it. :lol:

Like, Marvel movies are fine - they are just there, nothing special, nothing earth shattering - but goddamn, as usual popculture weirdos gotta elevate this candy to god tier levels .Same thing happened with games. GAMES ARE ART movement.

Marvel movies have yet to reach that level.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Is he quoting that goofy monologue from the beginning of BvS?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How dare people like this film.

How dare they

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you sure they haven't already? I recall ads for Infinity War claiming it to be "a cinematic icon for this generation" or something to that effect. You know, up there with the likes of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Titanic

jesus just remembering those ads is making me real bummed for my generation :smithicide: if you want a cinematic experience the likes of Titanic then go and watch Alita: Battle Angel, a movie where the title character has more genuine personality than the majority of the MCU distilled into one.

A movie that uses actual fight choreography and has full-cgi characters that look like they should be walking the streets right now in 2019.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

RBA Starblade posted:

How dare people like this film.

How dare they

In all sincerity, something that turned my radar dish is “remains exciting because it’s always changing” amongst the talk of drastic tonal changes. On paper that sounds like an achievement, but history has shown that it’s usually indicative of a patchwork script. Obviously we won’t know until we see it, but that reads like a bit of spin.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Like, Marvel movies are fine - they are just there, nothing special, nothing earth shattering - but goddamn, as usual popculture weirdos gotta elevate this candy to god tier levels .Same thing happened with games. GAMES ARE ART movement.

I dunno, you got lots of folks arguing Black Panther is oscar worthy, which is obviously laughable

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

lol at people who think cap 2 was a "political thriller", how loving shallow is your movie experience if you think that movie can even closely be described as a political thriller

It was paranoid and high-strung, a throwback to the classic spy-games thrillers of the 70s, like John LeCarre or The Pelican Brief

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Makes you wonder why DC/WB couldn't bribe critics to give them good early screening reactions like Marvel/Disney does. I guess only having... (looks it up)... $13 billion in revenue really hamstrung them on that front.

Aces High posted:

you sure they haven't already? I recall ads for Infinity War claiming it to be "a cinematic icon for this generation" or something to that effect. You know, up there with the likes of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Titanic

jesus just remembering those ads is making me real bummed for my generation :smithicide:

Excessive marketing hype has existed forever though? I mean people were selling absolute schlock as THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME for as long as movies have been made, it doesn't mean people took it seriously back then, either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

I dunno, you got lots of folks arguing Black Panther is oscar worthy, which is obviously laughable

Well the Oscars have always been a joke of marketing and bad opinions, so who knows?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vintersorg posted:

The same can be said for DC movies as well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

thrawn527 posted:

Well the Oscars have always been a joke of marketing and bad opinions, so who knows?

So much stuff that nobody would ever watch again on purpose won Best Picture that it really means nothing. A hypothetical Black Panther win probably wouldn't even make the top 5 worst Oscar awards honestly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Black Panther is better than any second from Bohemian Rhapsody. Which may be the worst movie made in 2018. I’m not sure. I do love hating on it though, because it invites it.

There isn’t a single honest thing in the film besides the music.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sean10mm posted:

So much stuff that nobody would ever watch again on purpose won Best Picture that it really means nothing. A hypothetical Black Panther win probably wouldn't even make the top 5 worst Oscar awards honestly.

it happening on the oscars presented by the avengers featuring new clips of the upcoming avengers film would be particularly shameless though

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just know there will be people who go ballistic when Roma inevitably wins Best Picture over Black Panther.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s going to be green book

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Remember when Crash won best picture

lmao

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Film reviewers at this point are just banking on internet discourse. I saw a tweet from a film critic laughing at the fact that Bruce's 1% line in Batman v Superman made it into the film because of how absurd it is and people responding to it by saying that it has real world parallels.

They don't know or care.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mameluke posted:

It was paranoid and high-strung, a throwback to the classic spy-games thrillers of the 70s, like John LeCarre or The Pelican Brief

I will argue it was neither.

CelticPredator posted:

Black Panther is better than any second from Bohemian Rhapsody. Which may be the worst movie made in 2018. I’m not sure. I do love hating on it though, because it invites it.

There isn’t a single honest thing in the film besides the music.

I've seen your utter contempt for this movie spill over in like 3 threads now and I feel like I really have to watch it because it has to be a trainwreck to evoke such visceral animosity.

sean10mm posted:

Makes you wonder why DC/WB couldn't bribe critics to give them good early screening reactions like Marvel/Disney does. I guess only having... (looks it up)... $13 billion in revenue really hamstrung them on that front.

Excessive marketing hype has existed forever though? I mean people were selling absolute schlock as THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME for as long as movies have been made, it doesn't mean people took it seriously back then, either.

I presume they did, but Disney are infamous at blackballing journalists that are too critical, I assume that is related to all the sloppy blowjobs their mediocre movies are getting

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Aces High posted:

if you want a cinematic experience the likes of Titanic then go and watch Alita: Battle Angel, a movie where the title character has more genuine personality than the majority of the MCU distilled into one.

Since when is Titanic a cinematic experience? Everybody considered it a joke when it was released.

As for Alita it has a terrible title, a boring trailer and a main character that weirds people out, if people don’t see it you can blame the people in charge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m obsessed with the movie. I keep getting videos from it from YouTube recs due to
Me trying to compare Malek to Mercury while watching it and every time I watch another scene again I just start laughing and getting more and more baffled.

It should be the next Room but it won’t be.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oasx posted:

Since when is Titanic a cinematic experience? Everybody considered it a joke when it was released.

Kids ages 6-18 wouldn’t stop seeing it. I think I saw it like 3 times in the theater and it was all my class talked about for months. I was like 6 years old at that time. It was a big drat deal

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, everyone was really into Titanic for quite a few years, I had a buddy who had that big rear end puzzle shaped like the Titanic, and behind it was his Pam Anderson poster.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oasx posted:

that's not even remotely true

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Oasx posted:

Titanic was absolutely huge when it was released. Yes you'd get people poking fun at the corniness of the romance but the scale and spectacle of the back half of the movie when the boat starts going down was very impressive at the time.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oasx posted:

What planet are you from? Titanic was all anyone talked about from 97-98. It had looooong legs, that Celine Dion song was burned into everyone’s brain, and the VHS release was enormous. And it was the highest grossing film of all time until Avatar was released, so uhhh yeah that’s a pretty good joke if I ever heard one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Oasx posted:

It still holds the record for longest film at #1 in theaters. It was in theaters for 40 weeks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There was a few things fibbed in Bohemian Rhapsody but overall it's a decent movie. I am a huge Queen fan who feels that despite their success they are underrated since people only know the hits. The early stuff was very Zeppelin'esque with themes of fantasy and the early sounds of heavy metal. I despise We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHC85XWII7E

Anyways, Malek was fine as Freddie and his performances stand out. He really did capture the live energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XqPBEODZ4s

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Oasx posted:

I'm going to assume you just were not alive when the movie was released or you were somewhere very remote, because this is insanely wrong. Like, this is as far from reality as you can get.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, Bohemian Rhapsody is a completely by the numbers music biopic (it's Walk Hard but taken completely seriously), but for that it's perfectly fine (and the music takes it to pretty good, but you're going to need to enjoy Queen for that to help), and Rami was great in it.

The only reason I can see to have a true hatred for it is if you were hoping for something better. But it's a music biopic, you really shouldn't have been hoping for something better. It ended up being better than the garbage fire I was expecting when I originally heard they were making it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cohen version showing the debauchery of Freddie would have been way better.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm going to assume you just were not alive when the movie was released or you were somewhere very remote, because this is insanely wrong. Like, this is as far from reality as you can get.

Yeah like

You’d either have had to have not been alive or too young to even be like, socially aware to think that Titanic wasn’t a massive cultural touchstone of its day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was a movie your parents let you go to because it was just pg13 and you could see a titty in it

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

No.

Two titties.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I thought it was just the one. That's the only scene I've watched

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It still holds the record for longest film at #1 in theaters. It was in theaters for 40 weeks.

I remember breaking up with this girl in high school and thinking "well at least she can't drag me to Titanic now."

Then we ended up getting back together a few months later, and it was still in theaters, and I was like "poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I may be wrong about the longest at #1 thing, I think ET still has it beat.