Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nfcknblvbl posted:

small engines with turbos have so much efficiency loss at high rpms cause they have to inject extra fuel to prevent engine knock. engineers have to come up with clever ways to deal with all the extra heat, like the kia stinger has an exhaust valve with sodium inside so it won't ignite the fuel too early

This is old, very old. Sodium filled valves are common on turbocharged gas motors since the 80s at least. My Audi 10v 5 cylinder turbo motors had sodium valves in '86.

And the sodium is actually to help the exhaust valve stand up to the exhaust gas temps and not fail.

Combat Theory posted:

E: my heritage is with ultra high RPM naturally aspirated engines so if you just ask for what I would want to see, it would be exactly that.

In my opinion (and that's also the reason I'm leaving this industry for the defense industry) we have sadly succeeded in dumbing down the driver to a level shortly above the passenger. Everything is aimed nowadays at hiding the fact that you operate a fire breathing, roaring , metal made mechanical wonder of technology.

I'm a turbo fanatic, partially because I'm a diesel nutcase, but partially because turbocharging was a must to get the little Audi 5 cylinders to perform well, running the KKK K24 and K26 turbochargers on the gassers, and the K16 on the diesels, and turbochargers are easy to maintain, and aftermarket ECUs has steadily become more open source, letting you have tight control over your engine vintage engine with modern controllers

But I fully agree with the second statement, the first thing I did after buying my Q7 TDI was rip the plastic engine cover off. Because I want to see/hear the engine. My wife was disappointed, because she expected the TDI to sound like my other VW Diesels, and when she was greeted with a quiet engine, she said it was unnerving and asked what we'd have to do to make the motor more vocal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Combat Theory posted:

E: my heritage is with ultra high RPM naturally aspirated engines so if you just ask for what I would want to see, it would be exactly that.

In my opinion (and that's also the reason I'm leaving this industry for the defense industry) we have sadly succeeded in dumbing down the driver to a level shortly above the passenger. Everything is aimed nowadays at hiding the fact that you operate a fire breathing, roaring , metal made mechanical wonder of technology.

Cars have gotten too automated, too insulated, fat, unresponsive, unserviceable, and there has hardly ever been such a vast gap in the interface between man and machine. And again, looking at the second hand market the people apparently crave this old mechanical connection, because all the cars that we associate with that are absolutely mad priced at the moment. I mean like 300 or 400 percent price increase in 10 years mad. Yet I'm looking at my work so far, what I am asked to design, the list of requirements that come in from loving *** and it's "dry weight 2 tons" "serviceability not required" "maximum lifetime...." "infotainment interface"

Just not the type of design I wanna have my name on to be honest.

:goonsay:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

sorry people like me's demand for "box to get me to work that i super don't want to think about any more than i have to" is ruining stuff so bad you're making the jump to the murder brown people industry

i'm actually not kidding, i mean that genuinely. like I can totally respect wanting a car that's fun to drive and goes real fast and feels like you're riding in some kind of rumbling, quaking metal dragon or w/e, i just super don't feel like driving a rumbling metal dragon to work and back every day

Part of the problem of designing rolling sofas is that you end up stuffing them with hundreds of kilograms of practically unnecessary tech, sound deadening, NVH insulation and automation that eats into the development cost. But you not only sacrifice weight saving but also leaps of reliability which ends up with increased devaluation, aging and reduction of lifetime, hurting the consumers wallet and the environment triple times without any measurable benefit past driving an overweight, brick wall aerodynamic, rolling sofa.

I respect people's choice in doing so, but throwaway cars with tons of unnecessary poo poo aren't helping any cause of moving forward toward sustainable mobility. And I frankly think it's part way irresponsible given the enormous amount of (non recyclable) resources and energy that go into automotive products

E: I don't really know about the murder brown people part. Making more powerful engines for military equipment that use less fuel and provide cleaner emissions doesn't automatically translate to something bad in my book.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 20, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

Part of the problem of designing rolling sofas is that you end up stuffing them with hundreds of kilograms of practically unnecessary tech, sound deadening, NVH insulation and automation that eats into the development cost. But you not only sacrifice weight saving but also leaps of reliability which ends up with increased devaluation, aging and reduction of lifetime, hurting the consumers wallet and the environment triple times without any measurable benefit past driving an overweight, brick wall aerodynamic, rolling sofa.

I respect people's choice in doing so, but throwaway cars with tons of unnecessary poo poo aren't helping any cause of moving forward toward sustainable mobility. And I frankly think it's part way irresponsible given the enormous amount of (non recyclable) resources and energy that go into automotive products

i mean yeah i intentionally get the car with the least dumb ~infotainment~ features because i agree that's worthless distraction (and i super do not want my car to connect to the internet, jesus christ how do people think that's at all a good idea). i don't want a rolling sofa, i want... a box that reliably goes places, but i guess this isn't really what the market wants either :shrug:

though what do you mean about reducing reliability, are you talking specifically about the computerization? because when i got my current car i asked on the forums if i had to do any weird incantations or rituals to get it to last a long time other than the normal maintenance schedule and they mentioned that even crummy cars are pretty reliable in general today compared to the past, and i should be good

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

infernal machines posted:

in defence of elron musk: arstechnica posts leslie_nielsen_nothingtoseehere.gif

Gentle reminder that this newest departure follows this...

Arstechnica, without any curiosity or skepticism, also posted:

Last September, Chief Accounting Officer Dave Morton announced that he was leaving after less than a month on the job.

... which is extremely unusual and suspicious and I wonder how big PwC's audit fees are to ignore the fact that this company stinks to high heaven.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

E: I don't really know about the murder brown people part. Making more powerful engines for military equipment that use less fuel and provide cleaner emissions doesn't automatically translate to something bad in my book.

eh i've got a pretty hard line when it comes to the military or defense companies and feel that helping them makes someone complicit in their crimes. i can kinda let it pass for people who enlist because it's literally their only option for a job and healthcare in a lot of the US, but if you're at the level of making engines for machines that are specifically designed to kill people in the most effective ways possible then... yeah

i mean good for you if you can live with it i guess :shrug: maybe you can design engines for like, transport vehicles or something that's not directly meant for killing?

e: and yeah i remember you're in Germany but i'm sure either us or our PMC's will buy plenty of whatever you build anyway :v:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 20, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Shame Boy posted:

eh i've got a pretty hard line when it comes to the military or defense companies and feel that helping them makes someone complicit in their crimes. i can kinda let it pass for people who enlist because it's literally their only option for a job and healthcare in a lot of the US, but if you're at the level of making engines for machines that are specifically designed to kill people in the most effective ways possible then... yeah

i mean good for you if you can live with it i guess :shrug: maybe you can design engines for like, transport vehicles or something that's not directly meant for killing?

e: and yeah i remember you're in Germany but i'm sure either us or our PMC's will buy plenty of whatever you build anyway :v:

we are all complicit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

we are all complicit

oh yeah absolutely, my job definitely helps global capitalism and my taxes pay for the war machines, i just feel like maybe you can try not to directly help in ways you don't absolutely have to?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the thing with newer cars is they're lower maintenance but when anything breaks its a lot more expensive and difficult to repair because of all the newer complexities and in some cases consolidations

like when the ABS module in my old civic failed it was going to be $1000+ just for the part because the whole ABS/VSA/everthing-else-you-program-into-a-braking-and-wheelspeed-system, the computer and solenoids/etc were one nissin unit that had to be replace in its entirety -- though i'm sure some engineers like the modularity of that

i feel like the last time i was reading about valvetronic it was still just a prototype thing so its wild that it became real

but yeah lots of car tech is all about low/midrange because thats where people spend most of their time and its just getting more wacky and complex and expensive towards the top end; i remember when you could pick up vtec killer kits for S2000s because there's no point to having that system if you're building a race car and it just detracts from things

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

oh yeah absolutely, my job definitely helps global capitalism and my taxes pay for the war machines, i just feel like maybe you can try not to directly help in ways you don't absolutely have to?

there's just not that many degrees of separation between your work and the imperial status quo, especially if you work in tech

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

i mean yeah i intentionally get the car with the least dumb ~infotainment~ features because i agree that's worthless distraction (and i super do not want my car to connect to the internet, jesus christ how do people think that's at all a good idea). i don't want a rolling sofa, i want... a box that reliably goes places, but i guess this isn't really what the market wants either :shrug:

though what do you mean about reducing reliability, are you talking specifically about the computerization? because when i got my current car i asked on the forums if i had to do any weird incantations or rituals to get it to last a long time other than the normal maintenance schedule and they mentioned that even crummy cars are pretty reliable in general today compared to the past, and i should be good

I wanted to write "automation reduces reliability" but that's a dangerous and incorrect statement. There's an optimum amount of automation for a given period of technology that maximizes reliability and we currently exceed that in the automotive world on many fronts.

Fuel injection is better than carburetors nowadays, that's a universally agreed statement. It's offering superior results in every way with less parts, less service cost and less chance of something going wrong.

Air bags are better than no air bags, alloy wheels are better than steelies, disk brakes are better than drums etc.

The same doesn't hold true for other technologies we field and it certainly does not hold true for comfort automation like automatic transmissions (specially DSGs), fuel stratisfied combustion, gasoline direct injection (the emissions alone on the last 2 are killers), all wheel drives and the plethora of short lived engine tech additions to the gasoline engine that I mentioned before.

Furthermore these automations, if they are affecting the actual driving of the vehicle, are all optimized for the government test cycles, NEFZ or the more modern WLTC and those frankly have nothing to do with everyday driving. WLTC is better than NEFZ in that regard but still... As Iospace mentioned they hardly hit anything above 4500 in everyday driving. That's twice as much as any modern engine runs in NEFZ. The everyday driving region is frankly uncharted territory for the modern engine when it comes to optimization for efficiency and emissions and will always take a secondary role behind test cycle optimization. That for example is one of the things that feel outright wrong about this for me. I know the products I design could be better, but because some people high up in the industry are very in bed with some people in power we get this contraption of a test cycle to optimize for, whereas for military applications for example you do 400h NATO cycles that are the friggin mount everest of engine making and you can be sure when your engine passes it will excell in normal use. You can be proud of your work there and you don't have to try to hide your actual optimizations for the consumer usage behind some graphs that plot a 0.05 percent improvement in WLTC.

E: proud as an engineer. I know it's kinda off putting when I use these statements for military tech and I'm sorry for that.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 20, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

guys did you know tesla's cost-saving lovely interiors are *actually* the wave of the future?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
luxury manufacturers not included in the faux movement:
* Every marque that's actually a luxury auto maker and not the high-end brand of a normie carmaker

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

man this thread suddenly got really informative. struggling for purpose with tesla's demise imminent i presume

so much nicer than train chat for sure. can someone explain the significance of that inventory json leak thing? like, they have cars they haven't sold yet. ok. more than we expected? old ones that have been languishing in a lot for a long time? ones they said publicly they didn't have? idgi

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

I wanted to write "automation reduces reliability" but that's a dangerous and incorrect statement. There's an optimum amount of automation for a given period of technology that maximizes reliability and we currently exceed that in the automotive world on many fronts.

Fuel injection is better than carburetors nowadays, that's a universally agreed statement. It's offering superior results in every way with less parts, less service cost and less chance of something going wrong.

Air bags are better than no air bags, alloy wheels are better than steelies, disk brakes are better than drums etc.

The same doesn't hold true for other technologies we field and it certainly does not hold true for comfort automation like automatic transmissions (specially DSGs), fuel stratisfied combustion, gasoline direct injection (the emissions alone on the last 2 are killers), all wheel drives and the plethora of short lived engine tech additions to the gasoline engine that I mentioned before.

Furthermore these automations, if they are affecting the actual driving of the vehicle, are all optimized for the government test cycles, NEFZ or the more modern WLTC and those frankly have nothing to do with everyday driving. WLTC is better than NEFZ in that regard but still... As Iospace mentioned they hardly hit anything above 4500 in everyday driving. That's twice as much as any modern engine runs in NEFZ. The everyday driving region is frankly uncharted territory for the modern engine when it comes to optimization for efficiency and emissions and will always take a secondary role behind test cycle optimization. That for example is one of the things that feel outright wrong about this for me. I know the products I design could be better, but because some people high up in the industry are very in bed with some people in power we get this contraption of a test cycle to optimize for, whereas for military applications for example you do 400h NATO cycles that are the friggin mount everest of engine making and you can be sure when your engine passes it will excell in normal use. You can be proud of your work there and you don't have to try to hide your actual optimizations for the consumer usage behind some graphs that plot a 0.05 percent improvement in WLTC.

E: proud as an engineer. I know it's kinda off putting when I use these statements for military tech and I'm sorry for that.

ah makes sense, and that does sound like a very frustrating set of bullshit design goals yeah

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

so much nicer than train chat for sure. can someone explain the significance of that inventory json leak thing? like, they have cars they haven't sold yet. ok. more than we expected? old ones that have been languishing in a lot for a long time? ones they said publicly they didn't have? idgi

it's just another little peek behind the curtain, one that seems to validate the skeptics who say Elon pumped out a big batch of cars last year that nobody wants to buy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

you can now track with some accuracy the exact degree to which they've hosed themselves by trying to hit arbitrary production targets instead of building cars people actually ordered.

hint: if you don't have a dealer network, don't build massive vehicle inventory, because you have no way to sell them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Endless Mike posted:

guys did you know tesla's cost-saving lovely interiors are *actually* the wave of the future?

Nice! My Dodge Caliber is ahead of the curve!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Theory posted:

automatic transmissions are a fine and good form of automation, and are not inherently unreliable, especially the type of cvt "auto" found in hybrids

dsgs are from the racing world and sold as a desirable feature in performance vehicles, not some cloying development of the automotive sofas you've been complaining about. maybe you don't like them but they don't seem to fit your thesis

stratified combustion / gdi i don't know much about, but do not seem to be automation issues

awd is not automation in any way, provides specific benefits in return for the increased mechanical complexity, and is offered in specific markets where those benefits are either actually relevant or relevant for marketing purposes

basically what i'm saying is there seem to be a lot of things not quite thought through in you're posting

like, i have no doubt you're competent in your field, but you seem to be unable to see the forest for the trees when it comes to anything that doesn't fit your personal taste for roaring flamebelching roadhugging monsters

also having done time in the defense contractor world and having been much happier since i got out: do not go into that industry for the love of cthulu nooooooooo save yourself before it's too late

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lancemantis posted:

luxury manufacturers not included in the faux movement:
* Every marque that's actually a luxury auto maker and not the high-end brand of a normie carmaker

this was specifically about the model s, and even the high-end brands offer real leather on their $75k cars. hell, it's standard on a genesis

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

this is actually true though, bmw and mb have been putting vinyl in more and more cars
https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/are-vinyl-seats-more-popular-bmw-or-mercedes-benz-vehicles

(still somewhat uncommon in bmws )

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

BobHoward posted:

automatic transmissions are a fine and good form of automation, and are not inherently unreliable, especially the type of cvt "auto" found in hybrids

dsgs are from the racing world and sold as a desirable feature in performance vehicles, not some cloying development of the automotive sofas you've been complaining about. maybe you don't like them but they don't seem to fit your thesis

stratified combustion / gdi i don't know much about, but do not seem to be automation issues

awd is not automation in any way, provides specific benefits in return for the increased mechanical complexity, and is offered in specific markets where those benefits are either actually relevant or relevant for marketing purposes

basically what i'm saying is there seem to be a lot of things not quite thought through in you're posting

like, i have no doubt you're competent in your field, but you seem to be unable to see the forest for the trees when it comes to anything that doesn't fit your personal taste for roaring flamebelching roadhugging monsters

also having done time in the defense contractor world and having been much happier since i got out: do not go into that industry for the love of cthulu nooooooooo save yourself before it's too late

yeah i mixed up automation with general tech, sorry.

some clarifications on automatic transmissions, CVTs are very rare in this hemisphere so automatic transmissions here are for example the ZF 8 Speed which is good but very complicated for what it does, or the DSG wave that was over here indeed intended to replace the torque converter automatic, because DSG are much, much cheaper to make.

The DSG got blown to smitherines in its first value use as a twin dry clutch DSG (there was the whole DSG taxi fiasco that sparked the re investment within VW back to torque converter automatics)

again you are correct that i mixed up too many things in my OP and should have seperated them between general automation and automotive complication (which is the majority of stuff i post)
also nothing wrong with proper AWD, but i have seen one too many haldex clutch abominations that result in an extra 200 KG of vehicle mass without any proper torque splitting or traction benefits.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

this was specifically about the model s, and even the high-end brands offer real leather on their $75k cars. hell, it's standard on a genesis

if hyundai is making better detailed luxury cars than you...

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

infernal machines posted:

if hyundai is making better detailed luxury cars than you...

elon musk!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

i really wanna try out one of them Hyundai hydrogen cars, but drat they are expensive.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Combat Theory posted:

i really wanna try out one of them Hyundai hydrogen cars, but drat they are expensive.

Just "test drive" one.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

gschmidl posted:

Just "test drive" one.

if i go into a hyundai dealership this year ill probs end up with a new car and thats not planned before 2020.
drat you I30 fastback. why you have to be so sexy.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

this is the car future that I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGDSkFQEOjo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

this is actually true though, bmw and mb have been putting vinyl in more and more cars
https://www.cartelligent.com/blog/are-vinyl-seats-more-popular-bmw-or-mercedes-benz-vehicles

(still somewhat uncommon in bmws )

you'll note that article specifically notes that every car mentioned also has leather as an option (and the vast majority of buyers purchase it over vinyl). tesla does not even have it as an option. vinyl seats are "luxury" insofar as they aren't fabric. (and i'd much prefer fabric over vinyl)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
is there anyone that's tried vinyl and /hasn't/ thought that fabric is preferable?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

psiox posted:

is there anyone that's tried vinyl and /hasn't/ thought that fabric is preferable?

brokebrain bazingas

[–]Blind_at_Sea [score hidden] 8 minutes ago
Jag/Land Rover is making it standard. All others have it as an option and a few have stated it will become future standard. Both previous cars have had vegan. Difference between cheap stuff and high end. Easier to maintain and I prefer the feel

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
lmbo

I have a jacket I like made of 'vegan' leather and it's neat but I can't imagine how awful it'd be to sit on during a hot summer

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
where the hell are the cars with the denim interiors

jars

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

i too like to drive, sitting in a condensation of various body fluids.

E:

psiox posted:

jars

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

psiox posted:

They can make a "fabric" out of Mylar, which allows you to have rear end warmers in fabric seats.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

psiox posted:

jars

ur about 45 years too late my dude.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Is your last name von braun or something

Combat Theory posted:

if i go into a hyundai dealership this year ill probs end up with a new car and thats not planned before 2020.
drat you I30 fastback. why you have to be so sexy.
It's so loving telling that they have the best infotainment of everyone too. If you put a touchpad in a car just loving resign already.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 20, 2019

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

:elongate:

i kinda like that look on everything but the dash/wheel, which makes me suspect brainworms

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what hath man wrought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

evil_bunnY posted:

Is your last name von braun or something

It's so loving telling that they have the best infotainment of everyone too. If you put a touchpad in a car just loving resign already.

They offer a 10 year warranty on their engines here, which is 7-8 years more than anything we here dare to do. They are also some of the last ones to do real harsh endurance testing of 500 Nürburgring Laps for all their models. Thats some of the determination to quality i miss in this industry. but im not moving my lazy rear end to Korea and their testing devision is filled to the brim with disenfranchised BMW engineers already.

if i get von braun as a last name i want a spanish first name. Carlos von Braun