Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Torquemada posted:

A small majority is not ‘most’.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I don't remember what thread got derailed on the topic of civil forfeiture but I think it was this one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.23c0e41dac52

quote:

“For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history: Exorbitant tolls undermine other constitutional liberties,” Ginsburg wrote. “Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. . . . Even absent a political motive, fines may be employed in a measure out of accord with the penal goals of retribution and deterrence.”

shits unconstitutional now.

buncha cops bout to get suuuued

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

That is loving huge.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Scenario: You buy a $4 million apartment with floor to ceiling windows.

Do you...

A. Put up blinds?

B. Attempt to sue a nearby gallery to "cordon off" their balcony so gallery visitors can't see into the apartments?

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1095315603026530304

quote:

In his judgment, Mr Justice Mann said the claimants have "submitted themselves to a sensitivity to privacy" due to the extensive use of glass walls in their properties.

He added: "These properties are impressive, and no doubt there are great advantages to be enjoyed in such extensive glassed views, but that in effect comes at a price in terms of privacy."

Mods, please change my name to Mr Justice Mann.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wouldn't say that 51% of people is most people. I don't think I'd call it most until ~80% or so.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:3:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I expected that to go way worse.

Fortunately that seems to be an exceptionally nice cat

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The General posted:

I wouldn't say that 51% of people is most people. I don't think I'd call it most until ~80% or so.
It was also 52% of people who turned out to vote (72.2% turnout), not 52% of everybody. By no metric did most people vote to leave

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The General posted:

Well, good luck with that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

it cuts right before the infant learns a lesson about the pointiness of cats, and the cat learns a lesson about the grabby nature of infants

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It was also 52% of people who turned out to vote (72.2% turnout), not 52% of everybody. By no metric did most people vote to leave

That's on them. Voting should be mandatory if you want actual results. Now that voting by mail or online is a realistic process there should be no reason to not make it mandatory. Doesn't Australia do that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Doggles posted:

Scenario: You buy a $4 million apartment with floor to ceiling windows.

Do you...

A. Put up blinds?

B. Attempt to sue a nearby gallery to "cordon off" their balcony so gallery visitors can't see into the apartments?

https://twitter.com/BBCLondonNews/status/1095315603026530304

Mods, please change my name to Mr Justice Mann.

That's actually the second time Mr Justice Mann shows up in the thread!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's on them. Voting should be mandatory if you want actual results. Now that voting by mail or online is a realistic process there should be no reason to not make it mandatory. Doesn't Australia do that?

Making voting mandatory does not make people who aren't interested in politics any more interested in politics.

It doesn't solve anything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Besides, what if they vote wrong?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mandatory voting also makes people "protest vote" so they can stick it to the man, instead of just not showing up because that would be effort. The people that don't give a poo poo still don't give a poo poo but now they still gotta check a box on a sunday morning.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Land Rover more like Land Roller am I right

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Apparently Anthem's quickplay matchmaking algorithm has a chance of dropping you into a squad fighting the final boss of the campaign, even if you're brand-new

https://livestreamfails.com/post/41561

git gud

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Oregon's had vote by mail for 20 years now and it loving rules. Mail in voting is almost tamper proof, reaches everyone, and you don't need a special day for everyone to go do it. Republicans hate it because it massively turns out minorities/young people so that's why you probably won't see it take hold but it really is the solution to almost all of the issues of voting.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fishstick posted:

Mandatory voting also makes people "protest vote" so they can stick it to the man, instead of just not showing up because that would be effort. The people that don't give a poo poo still don't give a poo poo but now they still gotta check a box on a sunday morning.

Allowing people to vote 'None of the above' solves this issue.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Allowing people to vote 'None of the above' solves this issue.

Then why make them show up in the first place?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Andrast posted:

I was going to say, that's an extremely good and gentle cat. The nicest cat I know will still accidentally scratch hard if they're trying to get traction to escape a situation, that baby is really lucky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Huntersoninski posted:

I was going to say, that's an extremely good and gentle cat. The nicest cat I know will still accidentally scratch hard if they're trying to get traction to escape a situation, that baby is really lucky.

Some cats just don't flip out about water. One of mine is so concerned every time I shower, he actually moved beyond poking his head around curtain to climbing in and sit staring at me while I shower. He's very weird.

He does it often enough, that he has his own set of towels now for me to wrap him up like a burrito.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

The General posted:

Then why make them show up in the first place?

Because "None of the above" is different than "I have to work 80 hours this week to support my family" or "I'm just one vote, what's the point in going out if thousands of people probably agree with me"

you moron

you complete idiot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ante posted:

Because "None of the above" is different than "I have to work 80 hours this week to support my family" or "I'm just one vote, what's the point in going out if thousands of people probably agree with me"

you moron

you complete idiot

How does making it mandatory to vote solve the first issue?Like, Australian politics are a loving trashfire even though voting is mandatory.

Making voting mandatory will not solve any issues regarding disenfranchisement or people getting disconnected from politics.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Feb 20, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Proteus Jones posted:

Some cats just don't flip out about water. One of mine is so concerned every time I shower, he actually moved beyond poking his head around curtain to climbing in and sit staring at me while I shower. He's very weird.

He does it often enough, that he has his own set of towels now for me to wrap him up like a burrito.

Yeah, my cat doesn't like being soaked, but she just gets a sad face about being that wet. Getting little drips of water or even a little wet, doesn't phase her in the least. When she was much younger she would jump in the shower after I turned the water off and just roll around like a weirdo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hah, it happened again. I posted a similar video just few weeks ago.

https://i.imgur.com/XzIvAOd.mp4

https://video.eurosport.com/ski-jum...528/video.shtml

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1098308702363443202?s=20

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kennel posted:

Hah, it happened again. I posted a similar video just few weeks ago.

https://i.imgur.com/XzIvAOd.mp4

https://video.eurosport.com/ski-jum...528/video.shtml

They should just put a giant net there.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ante posted:

you moron

you complete idiot

I don't see how voting "I don't give a poo poo." is not the same as staying home and not giving a poo poo. You end up with the same amount of people in the "I don't give a poo poo" category.

The "I have to work 80 hours a week to support my family, and cannot afford to take the time off work to vote." is a completely separate and IMHO more serious issue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"None of the above" is also not "I don't give a poo poo".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

purple death ray posted:

"None of the above" is also not "I don't give a poo poo".

it is however indistinguishable from "I don't give a poo poo" when counting votes, even more so with mandatory voting

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Theoretically, if you had a "none of the above" option, it could function as a "no confidence" vote on any of the candidates. They're not the same.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The General posted:

The "I have to work 80 hours a week to support my family, and cannot afford to take the time off work to vote." is a completely separate and IMHO more serious issue.

Does any non-US country have elections on days other than Sundays?

By which I mean

https://i.imgur.com/Way3bMg.mp4

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Any kind of majority is 'most'. That's literally the dictionary definition of most.

I’ll not get into a connotation versus denotation slapfight: 17.4 million people, or 34% of the electorate, voted to leave the EU. That’s not ‘most’ of anything. I guess if you’re spreading horseshit around, ‘most’ sounds better than ‘barely a third’.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Fishstick posted:

isnt that a part of brexit? a buncha people who do vote protest voted for leave because they didnt think it would pass and the leopard is eating their face

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just in case people were not aware, Brewster's Millions was not a documentary

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

snergle posted:

isnt that a part of brexit? a buncha people who do vote protest voted for leave because they didnt think it would pass and the leopard is eating their face

Over here it usually just makes people vote for more extremist or single-issue parties as a protest vote

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Theoretically, if you had a "none of the above" option, it could function as a "no confidence" vote on any of the candidates. They're not the same.

I do agree. "I have no confidence in this government." is a completely different vote then the "I don't care/None of the above." vote I was talking about though.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

it is however indistinguishable from "I don't give a poo poo" when counting votes, even more so with mandatory voting

Invalidating your vote is also an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

They should just put a giant net there.

That's not going to deter skiers from doing J-turns there.

It doesn't solve anything.