Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Wark Say posted:

I love this because it seems entirely in character for everyone involved. :kimchi:

The faces in the last panel are gold, this is the best :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The fact that Jotaro is smiling instead of annoyed is a nice little detail.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Posting about jojo anime in the jojo anime thread.

If I'm gonna check out the old OVA do I watch the 2000 one or the 1993 one first? I heard the 2000 one is a prequel or something? I already watched the Davidpro part 3 and read the manga, I just wanted to check the old thing and I heard Satoshi Kon worked on one of the episodes :shobon:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cory in the Blouse posted:

If I'm gonna check out the old OVA do I watch the 2000 one or the 1993 one first? I heard the 2000 one is a prequel or something? I already watched the Davidpro part 3 and read the manga, I just wanted to check the old thing and I heard Satoshi Kon worked on one of the episodes :shobon:

IMO the 93 one is the only one worth watching. The 2000 one is super ugly and doesn't really do a good job of capturing the feeling of it, and while the 93 one takes liberties with the source material (some characters dying in different ways, some not existing at all, etc), it has its own very well done version of the Darby gambler fight and there are some things it does with the final fight between Dio and Jotaro that I like more than how David Pro handled it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So the 1993 OVA is basically the highlights of the latter half of Part 3 (Iggy, D'Arby, Vanilla Ice, DIO) and the 2000 one was the first half of Part 3, trying to go back and actually tell the story of Part 3 instead of just finally throwing JoJo fans a bone and having some fights animated

I don't like a lot of the OVA, but when it's on, it's loving on. It's DIO fight is really good, and (for my money maybe the better time stop sound.) it's a def neat historical artifact that's cool to look at now

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The OVA did a much more competent job of adapting the DIO fight to the medium of animation than the David one. It didn't just use the manga as a storyboard with no regard for how it looked on screen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Narancia vs Formaggio was so drat good. All the tricks were clever and made sense, the enemy turned a relatively mundane stand ability into something absolutely terrifying and was generally an intelligent fighter who, despite an ability based around picking on someone who can't fight back, wasn't cowardly in the slightest. The final showdown was cool as poo poo and the palette swap and music were perfect.

It may be my favorite non final boss fight in the series outside of maybe D'arby the Gambler.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Expect My Mom posted:

So the 1993 OVA is basically the highlights of the latter half of Part 3 (Iggy, D'Arby, Vanilla Ice, DIO) and the 2000 one was the first half of Part 3, trying to go back and actually tell the story of Part 3 instead of just finally throwing JoJo fans a bone and having some fights animated

I don't like a lot of the OVA, but when it's on, it's loving on. It's DIO fight is really good, and (for my money maybe the better time stop sound.) it's a def neat historical artifact that's cool to look at now

I saw the 93 OVA with a large crowd back at Gencon ‘95 (back when it was still in Milwaukee). While it might not hold up in some ways, watching that particular anime and seeing how worked up the crowd got was one of the greatest viewing experiences I’ve ever had. Iggy getting thrown, the gambler “fight”, and the last fight with Dio being particularly fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FirstAidKite posted:

there are some things it does with the final fight between Dio and Jotaro that I like more than how David Pro handled it.

Yes. The final battle in the OVA is absolutely bonkers.

However, the Vanilla Ice fight is lame. :(

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO the 93 one is the only one worth watching. The 2000 one is super ugly and doesn't really do a good job of capturing the feeling of it, and while the 93 one takes liberties with the source material (some characters dying in different ways, some not existing at all, etc), it has its own very well done version of the Darby gambler fight and there are some things it does with the final fight between Dio and Jotaro that I like more than how David Pro handled it.

I will stand by the 93 one as well. Even though the anime strikes the right tone the manga had, the '93 OVA is has great animation, even if the colour scheme is very normal compared to the anime. In terms of following the fights it depecits, it starts out very accurate for the first three episodes then starts taking some liberties that still make for cool fights. Odd thing does happen though when suddenly the character designs kinda change from matching the manga to becoming more beefy (look at Jotaro specifically in the first episode and then the last of the 93' OVA). The foley work/sound effects are also fantastic, with that sound of the knives flying through the air and then screeching to a halt in frozen time.

I tried to watch the first episode of the 2000 version, and did not hold up as much as my memory thought it did. The first episode is sooooooooooo slow and boring, and is playing everything straight and serious like a suspense thriller, and not that flamboyant style you expect from the manga. The Hanged man fight in that one is fairly accurate, and there is one scene with Hol Horse I liked how they did compared to the anime, but thats all. Its otherwise really slow and boring.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSD3VXCfLOs

New one's up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I thought maybe these would start to suck after a while but they're not! I'm impressed!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
really love their take on Mista, he's the best big idiot in both versions of the series

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I think people are answering your question in a way that compares the two and to David pro ignoring the "first" part.

If your goal is to watch all the Jojo and you're going to watch both anyway, just watch them in story order I guess.

If your goal is to watch more Jojo, skip the 2000 and watch the 1993, then go watch the 2000 if it still seems worth it, even though it's not as good.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Unfortunately(?) nobody can truly watch all the Jojo, because Araki had the Phantom Blood movie scoured from the face of the earth for being so terrible.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Unfortunately(?) nobody can truly watch all the Jojo, because Araki had the Phantom Blood movie scoured from the face of the earth for being so terrible.

Probably for the best considering that at the end it threatens the audience with a possible Battle Tendency movie

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the part 1 movie didn't even have speedwagon so araki was more than right to utterly destroy it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CJ posted:

The OVA did a much more competent job of adapting the DIO fight to the medium of animation than the David one. It didn't just use the manga as a storyboard with no regard for how it looked on screen.

plus the legendary Satoshi Kon wrote the 4-6th episodes of the 93 OVA and outright directed the 5th one

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I totally forgot about that, yeah the scene where senator phillips tries to run from the car is very Kon

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Given the old OVA seemed to have this weird desire to make Jojo's Bizarre Adventure serious, I can't imagine what their take on Battle Tendency would have been like.

Expect My Mom posted:

the part 1 movie didn't even have speedwagon so araki was more than right to utterly destroy it

I thought it had Speedwagon, but only for one really short scene.

Either way, that's terrible and it deserves to be stricken from the Earth.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
How the hell do you make Battle Tendency if you have no Speedwagon? Then who'd make the corporation to help the heroes and collaborate with Nazis?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Expect My Mom posted:

I totally forgot about that, yeah the scene where senator phillips tries to run from the car is very Kon

Senator Wilson Phillips, voiced by none other than Charles Martinet aka :mario:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Expect My Mom posted:

That shot and the one of dio thinking he won and the flames in the background slowing down are great.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Not all the changes they made were bad.

Changing the timing of Polnareff showing up to stab Dio for instance is a massive shift even if it doesn’t actually change the outcome

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Did Dio forget he had laser eyes?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When you can stop time, do you really need to pressurize your eyeball fluids and shoot them out as a laser?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Make 7
Up Yours, DIO.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dr.acula posted:

Did Dio forget he had laser eyes?

I feel like I remember hearing that Araki didn't use DIO's vampire abilities because he didn't want to make DIO too powerful or confuse newer audiences on which abilities came from DIO and which came from The World.

But that might just be speculation on someone else's part.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The last time Dio tried to end a fight with his eye lasers he ended up trapped under the ocean for 100 years, he's right to be hesitant to use them again.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 20, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the eye lasers rely upon pressurized vampire blood, and Dio only has a head worth of vampire blood instead of a whole body worth.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
jojo characters are like pokemon and can only know how to do 4 things at any time

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tetracube posted:

jojo characters are like pokemon and can only know how to do 4 things at any time

Except Mista, who keeps visiting the Move Deleter whenever he learns a fourth one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, wasn't DIO still deathly wary of Joseph's ripple? Wouldn't that mean that, for all the strength he acquired as a stand user (and how insanely powerful The World was), DIO still had to be mindful of his vampiric shortcomings besides sunlight?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 20, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wark Say posted:

Wait, wasn't DIO still deathly wary of Joseph's ripple? Wouldn't that mean that, for all the strength he acquired as a stand user (and how insanely powerful The World was), DIO still had to be mindful of his vampiric shortcomings besides sunlight?

Including sunlight. I'm pretty sure DIO was still very much a vampire in Part 3 with all the good and bad of it, considering how that applied to Vanilla Ice as well. It's just that it barely mattered since Hamon was phased out anyways, and Joseph was too minor a character even without that to actually get to do something to the big bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

joseph probably would have needed to be constantly practicing it to be an actual threat still to dio by utilizing it, but the whole 'if you get within this radius of the time-stopping vampire he will probably punch a hole through you' thing also kind of gets in the way of that anyways

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wark Say posted:

My impression is that if Joseph had landed an overdrive clean on DIO, DIO would be hosed. At most he might have been able to carve off the relevant chunk of his body again. I doubt he was even "dead" after Jotaro owned him, but his brain was destroyed and so he couldn't haul himself around.

Had they let him regenerate he might not have been "DIO" at all any more! Just a feral monster with a time-stopping super-stand so yeah Jotaro did nothing wrong.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Joseph lacks the HEART OF A GENTLEMAN so obviously he was too weak to harm DIO with his hamon that he was always more creative with comparing to being a brick house like Johnathon was.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

My impression is that if Joseph had landed an overdrive clean on DIO, DIO would be hosed. At most he might have been able to carve off the relevant chunk of his body again. I doubt he was even "dead" after Jotaro owned him, but his brain was destroyed and so he couldn't haul himself around.

Had they let him regenerate he might not have been "DIO" at all any more! Just a feral monster with a time-stopping super-stand so yeah Jotaro did nothing wrong.

DIO was super-dead after Jotaro won. It's not like Jotaro was attacking DIO physically, he destroyed his stand directly. Since stands are basically your 'soul' destroying The World psychically annihilated him, which is also why his head pops like a cork from it. Destroying someones stand can be called 'true damage' in that it bypasses all other concerns.

DIO also says that if Polnareff had managed to destroy his brain he'd have actually killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Wark Say posted:

DIO was still wary of ripple, and with all his stand power, he was still a regular rear end vampire that was probably less powerful in terms of regeneration than his peak in Phantom Blood since he was still adjusting to Jonathan's body. With ripple being able to travel through stands, The World pulls its punches when its about to hit Joseph since he covered himself with Hermit Purple pulsing ripple through it. DIO then opts for just kicking an entire chimney into Joseph.

I imagine there is also certain power output to the vampire powers as well. Straights mentions it took a lot out of him to pull himself together after being blown to bits. Can maybe think of it like fighting game super meter. Are you gonna spend meter on charging the eyeball lasers that a stand would probably block anyway? Or go for the time stop super?

Finally, I would imagine that had DIO won and beaten the Joestars, he'd just continue where he left off when Jonathan stopped him. He'd continue to gain power as a vampire, which would then continue to fuel his stand's power. He even thinks to himself that eventually he'd be able to stop time for as long as he pleases. On top of that, we know that Kars was able to experiment and evolve himself, so maybe DIO would start doing that again too, reaching Pillar man status and beyond.

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 21, 2019