Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I appreciate Rebecca for dealing with mansion hell, seeing another one and going all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you know what i just noticed today? the sewer gator section was apparently Ada just sending Leon down there to gently caress with the gator for no reason. "are you sure we have to do this?" 'yes, you have to go down there with a giant mutant gator, i will walk around the normal way and let the ladder up when you're done' gee thanks a lot lady!!!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

rabidsquid posted:

you know what i just noticed today? the sewer gator section was apparently Ada just sending Leon down there to gently caress with the gator for no reason. "are you sure we have to do this?" 'yes, you have to go down there with a giant mutant gator, i will walk around the normal way and let the ladder up when you're done' gee thanks a lot lady!!!

To be fair, that is a completely Ada move

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
At that point in the game I would absolutely believe she was trying to kill you off to get you off her case.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I appreciate Rebecca for dealing with mansion hell, seeing another one and going all in.

and then being utterly baffled by it

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Basticle posted:

and then being utterly baffled by it

I always read REmake Rebecca as less baffled, more utterly exhausted.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Oh Chris, I just went through my own adventure but now I have a big strong man to take care of me.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Basticle posted:

Oh Chris, I just went through my own adventure but now I have a big strong man to take care of me.

More like "hey you look big and dumb, do this poo poo so I don't have to again"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

What did we do to deserve such perfect beauty in this world?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At that point in the game I would absolutely believe she was trying to kill you off to get you off her case.

i was thinking its either that or she uses her grappling hook she doesnt want to answer questions about to get somewhere leon cant get.

or its a silly plot hole. any of the three really

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Few questions!

1) Has there been any word of proper DLC for RE2? Proper as in more of the core gameplay.
2) Is any of RE7 DLC in the same vein?
3) Is RE0 good? I played it many years ago and enjoyed it, but thought it paled next to REmake.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

snoremac posted:

Few questions!

1) Has there been any word of proper DLC for RE2? Proper as in more of the core gameplay.
3) Is RE0 good? I played it many years ago and enjoyed it, but thought it paled next to REmake.

I personally like aspects of RE0, but the whole no item box thing makes item management a pain and dumb

Also most of the enemies are "animal, but with T-Virus"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I havent played RE0 since like 15 years ago on the gamecube but I'd say its probably worth the $10 or whatever it goes on sale on Steam for.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

snoremac posted:

Not particularly. You spend way to much time dicking around with your inventory and having a brain dead eerily silent AI partner isn’t fun.

I sorta have a soft spot for it as it’s the last of the classic RE games (tank controls, fixed camera etc.)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

almost none of the RE7 DLC is story DLC and only one of them is remotely like the base game, which is not to say that they are bad, necessarily, but they're mostly all short and very different. you might want to look at some of them on youtube except for the room escape one which there's no replayability of and 100% spoils the entire thing. or actually do watch it and dont pay for it.

there's like a card game and a weird kind of horde mode and i dont even know how to describe jacks 40th birthday.

sponges posted:

Not particularly. You spend way to much time dicking around with your inventory and having a brain dead eerily silent AI partner isn’t fun.

I sorta have a soft spot for it as it’s the last of the classic RE games (tank controls, fixed camera etc.)

i will say i think RE0 isn't worth even five bucks, its just got bad pacing and mostly bad enemies and the partner system needed way more work than it got. did they even follow you? i feel like i had billy left parked somewhere way out of the way for most of that run until you need him to lift you over a wall or whatever stupid gated crap.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I started loving around with the Hunk level a little just for something different and it's cool but gently caress it's hard. I didn't know there were no pick ups. I think I'm one of the few that likes the challenge levels though since I don't have a ton of time and can just run around shooting poo poo for an hour. PLus, I think they'll be good training for when I get speed run minded

I also think I'm the only one here doesn't give a rat's rear end about the continuity of the stories. I couldn't piece together the RE saga if I loving tried.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 21, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BiggerBoat posted:

I started loving around with the Hunk level a little just for something different and it's cool but gently caress it's hard. I didn't know there were no pick ups. I think I'm one of the few that likes the challenge levels though since I don't have a ton of time and can just run around shooting poo poo for an hour.

I also think I'm the only one here doesn't give a rat's rear end about the continuity of the stories. I couldn't piece together the RE saga if I loving tried.

It's not that bad once you figure out you can actually dodge most enemies just by following a "correct" path.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

snoremac posted:

Few questions!

1. DLC plans for RE2 are still unknown iirc. I think someone said there might be more Ghost Survivors but I don’t know what that’s based on.

2. There are two RE7 dlcs that are similar to the main game. One has you in an escape room, one has you play as Zoe on the night that Evie arrived. They’re both good, but short. They get bundled with a bunch of the combat and monster DLC in the Banned Footage packs.

There’s also Not A Hero and End Of Zoe, which are longer, with a story and bosses, but few if any puzzles. I disliked them but I’m a minority.

3. RE0 is good if you LOVED Remake1 and the old games. It’s probably the second-worst of that style but it looks pretty and there’s enough there for fans. But it’s very much for RE enthusiasts only.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
RE7 DLC includes:

Not A Hero: an immediate sequel to the events of the game, from Chris Redfield's perspective, that is much more FPS than the base game. It's mediocre but wraps up a hanging plot line.

End of Zoe: even further after the events of the game, from another character's perspective, that is a... First Person Puncher? It's awesome but raises more questions than it answers.

Daughters: A prequel DLC where you play as Zoe during the moments her family got corrupted. It's mediocre and creates conflicting plot holes with the main game.

Clancy's Fun Time Adventures: Remember the camera crew? Clancy (the charred corpse from the Happy Birthday Video) had quite a night in the Bakers' custody, including:
Bedroom: Eveline took a liking to Clancy, so the Bakers spared him and locked him in a bedroom. Escape, before Marguerite kills you! This is a BLAST and feels like you're the guy from Stephen King's Misery, but (if it's even canon) it doesn't affect the plot at all since you know how Clancy ends up
Nightmare: After escaping from the bedroom (or maybe before, hell if I know), you end up trapped in the basement with Jack, who says he'll let you go if you can survive the night. VERY fun, it's action-packed, but again, doesn't affect the plot. Just a fun mini-game.
21: The third Baker needs to take their turn loving with Clancy. Lucas traps you and makes you play a SAW-inspired version of Blackjack. I liked it, but it's a card game and so many will hate it.

Ethan Must Die: non-canon challenge mode. Extremely hard. Tons of bullshit deaths. I loved it.

Jack's 55th Birthday: Speedrun through various levels collecting food and drink to feed Jack on his 55th birthday. It's amazing, and extremely non-canon.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:allears:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

It's really not as bad as people like to think it is, but I'm also a lifelong superhero comic-book fan, so maybe I'm just broken-brained in precisely the right way.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Any good videos online for Claire B Hardcore S+? I've seen some of Carcinogen's video, but since it is No Save No Damage I feel like there's probably videos for more lenient playstyles.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wanderer posted:

It's really not as bad as people like to think it is, but I'm also a lifelong superhero comic-book fan, so maybe I'm just broken-brained in precisely the right way.

Yeah the RE story in the main games is really not hard to follow. It gets needlessly convoluted around CV and 4 and continues from there though. 6 was the peak of the stupid nonsense; 7 was a lot better at being self-contained.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think the main plot is easy enough to follow game by game, but if you tried to figure out exactly when everything happens in Raccoon City over the course of RE2/RE3/Outbreak/Chronicles it would break your brain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's not hard to follow, you just have to accept that game logic and plot logic don't always coincide.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

qbert posted:

It's not that bad once you figure out you can actually dodge most enemies just by following a "correct" path.

Yeah, I'm getting a little further each time so in a certain sense it's clever level design but....is there a PATH through the parking garage because I mean god drat. Also, Hunk's "magnum" doesn't seem to have the wallop that Leon's does. I'm finding it fun and not sure why people don't dig it. It's really good and inducing panic but it really makes me wish I at least had an unlimited pea shooter handgun. I'm making shotgun rounds out of my gunpowder which seems like the right call.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think the main plot is easy enough to follow game by game, but if you tried to figure out exactly when everything happens in Raccoon City over the course of RE2/RE3/Outbreak/Chronicles it would break your brain.

Yeah I don't even try. It's funny reading people try to work it out though. Not as convoluted as Metal Gear at least.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 21, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

The general story of the mainline games (including Revelations) is easy to put together and understand, but then I'm saying that as someone who's been playing the series since day one, so I grew up with it as the story slowly crept along and expanded. I can see how being dunked straight into the deep-end of such a saga could lead to untold confusion though :shrug:

On the other hand, I'm actually borderline loving clueless on some of the sidegame/Chronicles-only plot points, or at least I can't remember any of the fine details. They tend to be self-contained adventures and don't have any important effect on the main storyline anyway other than to fill in some blank spaces in the timeframe (with plotpoints/events never brought up in other titles, often featuring new characters and monster types we NEVER SEE AGAIN. EVER.) so you're not missing a lot.

I mean who gives a poo poo about Bruce and Fong, or that Morpheus guy? From what I recall you could strike off Dead Aim as non-canon and nobody would even loving notice!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I'm getting a little further each time so in a certain sense it's clever level design but....is there a PATH through the parking garage because I mean god drat.

For the parking garage if you just turn right at the top of the ladder and beeline for the door, you only have to take out 2 zombies. I would just smg their legs and book it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like Dead Aim for asking "what if Leon was super southern and blond?" and "what if Ada was less interesting?"

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Any good videos online for Claire B Hardcore S+? I've seen some of Carcinogen's video, but since it is No Save No Damage I feel like there's probably videos for more lenient playstyles.

Actually, the stuff he does has pretty flexible timer. Just save at where you feel you need it and don't go past 3 and pick up all the health and ammo you need. I can do a S+ route video Claire B when I get home that picks up the smg and will get you your time if you want.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

almost none of the RE7 DLC is story DLC and only one of them is remotely like the base game, which is not to say that they are bad, necessarily, but they're mostly all short and very different. you might want to look at some of them on youtube except for the room escape one which there's no replayability of and 100% spoils the entire thing. or actually do watch it and dont pay for it.

there's like a card game and a weird kind of horde mode and i dont even know how to describe jacks 40th birthday.

i will say i think RE0 isn't worth even five bucks, its just got bad pacing and mostly bad enemies and the partner system needed way more work than it got. did they even follow you? i feel like i had billy left parked somewhere way out of the way for most of that run until you need him to lift you over a wall or whatever stupid gated crap.

You could park them, switch between characters and they’d follow you. It’s tedious.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I mean who gives a poo poo about Bruce and Fong, or that Morpheus guy? From what I recall you could strike off Dead Aim as non-canon and nobody would even loving notice!

The one thing that Dead Aim is sort of good for is that it answers one big question about Umbrella going under: how did a company that was repeatedly established to have more money than God ever manage to conclusively lose a lawsuit? Because Morpheus stole or destroyed most of its remaining inventory, and killed the buyers they'd rounded up for it.

Which makes Dead Aim kind of more fun in retrospect once you know that. All the zombies you're plowing through aboard the ship used to be people who planned to buy black-market bioweapons from noted evil megacorporation Umbrella. That ship was made by bastards for bastards.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Yeah, that's probably the roughest part, since they added so much to the Raccoon City outbreak later on. I've said it before, but every subsequent game they set in or near Raccoon City made it just a little bigger and made the outbreak last a little longer. It's a middle-of-nowhere suburb in RE2 and a small city by File #2.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wanderer posted:

The one thing that Dead Aim is sort of good for is that it answers one big question about Umbrella going under: how did a company that was repeatedly established to have more money than God ever manage to conclusively lose a lawsuit? Because Morpheus stole or destroyed most of its remaining inventory, and killed the buyers they'd rounded up for it.

Which makes Dead Aim kind of more fun in retrospect once you know that. All the zombies you're plowing through aboard the ship used to be people who planned to buy black-market bioweapons from noted evil megacorporation Umbrella. That ship was made by bastards for bastards.

Yeah, that's probably the roughest part, since they added so much to the Raccoon City outbreak later on. I've said it before, but every subsequent game they set in or near Raccoon City made it just a little bigger and made the outbreak last a little longer. It's a middle-of-nowhere suburb in RE2 and a small city by File #2.

To be fair, Raccoon City being an actual sized city with a special tactics force like STARS on the payroll makes way more sense than "middle of nowhere suburb", and a way better cover for Umbrella

What doesn't make sense about Raccoon City is that the city makes no goddamn sense in terms of architecture, and the mayor was clearly high as gently caress.

Like I get the Police Station and the Mansion being goofy because they were designed by the same guy, (and the station was a former art museum), but why the gently caress do statues at City Hall have giant batterys hidden in them?! Why is the entire city one big Rube Goldberg mess?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 21, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I like to think that Wesker set up STARS and selected its membership from among the most freakish prodigies on the planet (and also a helicopter pilot) for some sort of testing/special genes/eugenics purpose.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I did a quick run tonight through tonight on the DLC Ghost Survivors and it's...pretty cool? I did it on training just to get a feel for it and I assume that's why my aim is assisted and REALLY locks in on head shots; often when I don't wand it to which is kind of annoying actually. Zombies in body armor is genius.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Like I get the Police Station and the Mansion being goofy because they were designed by the same guy, (and the station was a former art museum), but why the gently caress do statues at City Hall have giant batterys hidden in them?! Why is the entire city one big Rube Goldberg mess?

There's a lot that you have to just chalk up to it being a video game.

RE3 is particularly bad about it because it was a last-minute project made by an inexperienced team and written by a new guy who had no knowledge of the series before suddenly becoming RE3's scenario designer. Its version of Raccoon is distinctly based off a Japanese city, it doesn't even have the token nods towards its weird puzzles that RE2 did, and it was developed in a big hurry. Yet, inexplicably, it became one of the most well-known games in the core franchise.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
ClaireB - Standard - 1:25:54 - S+

About 15 minutes faster than my standard LeonB run last night. No idea if I could do that time on hardcore or not since I had to restart at G2 (Nvidia driver crashed with a fire grenade splash and took the game with it), and I reloaded autosaves 2-4 times to attempt to do a few things faster.

It's crazy how much stuff you can just ignore. Dogs? Serpentine run and almost all of their leaps miss. And I still prefer shanking the lickers. But it'll be funny to see all of the times jump back up if they fix the KnifePS glitch.

Should do the Ghosts DLC soon. The Hunk/Tofus were addictive despite how absurdly difficult they usually were.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

To be fair, Raccoon City being an actual sized city with a special tactics force like STARS on the payroll makes way more sense than "middle of nowhere suburb", and a way better cover for Umbrella

eh with police militarization in America pretty much everyone has a SWAT team these days

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's like hundreds of pages back but people were ripping assets out of the RE2 demo and the one that showed a STARS recruiting flyer which entailed a walk-in interview and written exam for the alleged basis of picking STARS members made me laugh my rear end off. STARS being a puffed up police squad of regular guys pretending to be a bunch of super special soldiers is perfect to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think in the pre-mansion days, Forest probably accidentally shot a bunch of stranded hikers with a grenade launcher.