Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

You could post the 2 pixels worth of knife you can see on the screen then follow up with the KH Wiki image of the weapons, maybe?

That could work. I'll try it whenever I get to her turn.

AweStriker posted:

I think "aer" is supposed to just be the Greek root for... air. The trailing "o" sometimes gets clipped out for some things that begin with vowels, or to make a name for a weird magic energy substance, or in this case to use it in a naming scheme without running into confusion with Aero the spell.

That still means that it doesn't mean anything in English and that Xaldin is somehow even more pretentious than Vexen. Which is funny when he ends up not having even a line in KH3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Today we're going to be dealing with books.

None: Black Primer

You know, I don't think we actually get to see Zexion's weapon until Re:CoM.

Skill Gear: White Tome
Technical Gear: Illicit Research
Duel Gear: Buried Secrets
(Transforms your weapon and boosts your Magic to give it more power.)

For some reason, there's no boss fight against him in CoM. He's just unceremoniously killed by Repliku.

Loaded Gear: Arcane Compendium
Chrono Gear: Dissenter's Notes
Phantom Gear: Nefarious Codex
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together faster, longer ground combos.)

I'm glad they decided to actually put the boss fight in Re:CoM. That's by far my favorite boss fight in Re:CoM.

Lift Gear: Mystic Album
Nimble Gear: Cursed Manual
(Transforms your weapon into one with much higher Strength.)

The worst fight in Re:CoM (and arguably the series) is Trickmaster (Riku version). gently caress that boss :argh:

I'm sure everyone who fought that boss agrees.

Wild Gear: Taboo Text
Ominous Gear: Eldritch Esoterica
(Transforms your weapon into one that performs very well in midair.)

I read that 'esoterica' as 'erotica', which would be an amazing name.

Also, blue, aerial, you've known this already.

Valor Gear: Freakish Bestiary
Fearless Gear: Madman's Vita
Prestige Gear: Untitled Writings
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area.)

Speaking of bad bosses, I feel that the worst one is Holey Moley. Timed battle? Hard-hitting? Runs away constantly? Confusing room layout? It has them all!

Crisis Gear: Abandoned Dogma
Omega Gear: Atlas of Omens
(Transforms your weapon and provides versatility by boosting both Strength and Magic.)

At least Ruler of the Sky only runs away during the first half. The second half has long waiting periods instead. Whether that's better or worse is debatable.

Hazard Gear: Revolting Scrapbook
(Transforms your weapon and lets you perform longer ground combos with wider reach.)

I'm not sure about KH3 since I haven't played it, but it looks like that flying boss in Pirates world is somehow even worse. No flying AND you have a ship to defend.

Rage Gear: Lost Heterodoxy
(Transforms your weapon and provides versatility by boosting both Strength and Magic.)

Well, when I said worst boss, I only counted mandatory bosses.

Champion Gear: Otherworldly Tales
Ultimate Gear: Indescribable Lore
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Magic and combo reach.)

If we're counting optional boss, I'm pretty sure we all agree that it's Mysterious Figure. At least in the bullshit department.

Pandora's Gear: Radical Treatise

In the dullness department, I don't think anything can top Dustflier. loving Dustflier :argh:

Zero Gear: Book of Retribution

It seems that I've ranted too much about the bosses. Let's talk about books instead.

Casual Gear: Midnight Snack
Mystery Gear: Dear Diary

:roflolmao: These are perfect.

Zexion's Limit is one of those where we can't move during it, with the usual ability to suspend it as long as the duration hasn't ended.

It's as useful as Roxas' dual-wielding Limit: pretty much useless.

I'm pretty sure Zexion's victory pose is the first (beside Roxas') where it's not just a reused battle pose.

I like how in KH3 Zexion uses this pose a lot while dealing with Sora.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Zexion has no weapon until the Re:CoM/KH2FM release, no. It's pretty weird, because even in TWTNW, the throne portal thing that all of the Organization members have has the panel depicting his weapon smashed. Of course, that panel also depicts Roxas' two Keyblades, which no one in the Organization should have even known about (hence Axel's "Two!?" in KH2 when they fight the second time), so who knows.

I think it seemed like Nomura was building up to something with Zexion's weapon, but then it just wound up being a book.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I liked Zexion having no fight in CoM. Not every villain has to be a fighter, and there wasn't really any reason for them to fight after Riku saw through his illusions. I mean, if the fight is fun, that's a point in favor of having it, but I thought Zexion realizing he stood no chance and Riku walking away from an enemy who wasn't a threat were nice character moments.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's less Riku walking away and more

"I have Dark Mode now. Say your prayers, nerd."

"Eek, run away."

I don't mind there being a fight at the end, because Riku's acceptance of the darkness is just... abruptly concluded here without one. Re:CoM adding a fight where he has permanent Dark Mode sounds like a good idea thematically.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Of course, that panel also depicts Roxas' two Keyblades, which no one in the Organization should have even known about (hence Axel's "Two!?" in KH2 when they fight the second time), so who knows.

I think it seemed like Nomura was building up to something with Zexion's weapon, but then it just wound up being a book.

I assume that Axel reported about Roxas having 2 Keyblades after getting defeated and then Xemnas changed the panel to add one more Keyblade.

To be fair, what else could Zexion's weapon be? A mirror?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I liked Zexion having no fight in CoM. Not every villain has to be a fighter, and there wasn't really any reason for them to fight after Riku saw through his illusions. I mean, if the fight is fun, that's a point in favor of having it, but I thought Zexion realizing he stood no chance and Riku walking away from an enemy who wasn't a threat were nice character moments.

Of course there's a reason for the fight: Riku was pissed and wanted to show off his (newly fully accepted) dark power.

Zexion's fight is by far the most interesting fight in Re:CoM. You can't cheese it with the game's broken system (at least not as easily) and it won't really work without the card battle format. There are some similarities with Vexen's KH2 fight, what with gathering cards/data over time and creating new enemies if that happens.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I dunno, I think he just might have not even had any idea for what it would be. He didn't fight in original CoM so there was no need to think about it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 24, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You repeated Roxas' side of Day 354.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I saw a review of this game that said that Roxas seems kind of infantalized in this game compared to how he was depicted in KH2, and that the attempts to mesh those together wound up hurting the script. Regarding the scene of Roxas leaving:

quote:

Finally, we come to The Scene: the scene from KH2 where bitter, independent Roxas leaves the Organization and he and Axel share a final confrontation. There’s no need to talk about the scene itself – let’s instead talk about the impression it leaves now that we’re seeing it in a new context. “No one would miss me,” Roxas says. What? What? They just attacked you because they would “miss” you! We’re just now getting to a line from KH2, the lines that established Roxas’ personality, and yet the very first line no longer seems like Roxas’ personality or situation! Where is the passive, push-over who cares only about what other people think? Where is the child who tugs at the pantlegs of adults demanding answers to infinite rudimentary questions as though unsure of his ability to process information or even functional emotionally on his own? Most importantly: where did that anger come from? Roxas has barely voiced anger in this entire game, and in every instance I can think of, it was anger about his friends’ wellbeing! You might say that this emotional change is recent, but not only do I consider that sloppy writing and have talked about that exact problem at length in the past, but the anger is also only here in an island of existence, and Roxas will be back to moping in the very next scene!

Furthermore, even if this was supposed to be an island of defiance for Roxas, a single moment in a life of mopes, it defies the unspoken promise made to us in KH2, and in any media that introduces a character via a highlight scene: that the small sample we were seeing of the character was true enough to Roxas to help us understand Roxas. Surely, even given what I said about change in premise at the outset, even with the addition of Xion, this game was supposed to be at least partially about Roxas. But if we’re disagreed that the game is supposed to be at least partially about Roxas, then here, in this moment where the differences between KH2 Roxas and Days Roxas become most obvious, I have to say they may have broken the simple, implicit promise of a prequel: the promise that we would at least be seeing the same familiar characters at a different stage in their lives, at least familiar when we finally get to overlap existing scenes, and not an entirely different character whose motivations do not seem to match the characterization we were given in KH2. It’s remarkable that in just one game, BBS would go to lengths to function as a prequel to KH1, but Days? Oh no. Oh no.

Yet again I find myself flashing back to my first playthrough, realizing that Roxas wasn’t going to storm out of the Org because his personality was fiery or individual, but out of a more-or-less temporary temper tantrum. I remember thinking those words: “temper tantrum.” I don’t think I fully realized the implication until I was outright seeing the scenes from KH2 play out in front of me, but Roxas certainly didn’t match up, not even with the perspective in my head of what Roxas was before I realized that he being treated by the narrative like a grim baby. The game started off asking me to picture Roxas as a blank slate instead of the character I knew from KH2, and I gave it the best shake I could. And when we tried to synch up with KH2, all I could tell you was that they no longer matched, indeed that the gap between the original Roxas and the new was a gap made very heavily of failure. His friendship with Axel and Xion had enriched the character, but as he put it himself, at this moment, they weren’t informing his actions. His actions were informed by nothing but the worst parts of Days, and all of them a failure to meet up with the standard set in KH2. Here, having finally met up with KH2, if only in regards to Roxas, Days has finally, absolutely, failed.

How do you feel about that?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

quote:

:words:

Where did you found this review? He made some good points, so here's my thoughts:
  • Roxas leaving the Organization is kind of a temper tantrum. It's kind of justified, though, since one of his best friend flees while the other is too secretive (Axel and Xion hosed up here). He kinda has nowhere to go, though, which even he stated himself.
  • The "No one would miss me" quote is also partly due to said temper tantrum. Saix definitely would "miss" him, but I don't think that's the kind Roxas wanted. Axel would "miss" him in that regard, but Roxas is (justifiably) pissed at him at the time.
  • Roxas only ever actually start thinking for himself on Day 354, which is the day just before he defects. He thinks mostly about Xion and Axel otherwise, and that's mostly because that's what the game focuses on. This game doesn't actually tell Roxas' story outside of the end of the game. Roxas might have the most screentime, but the story focuses mostly on Xion, Axel, and Saix. (And no, that's not a defense for this game)
  • We only have 3 flashbacks of Roxas in KH2: The Dark Margin (which I STILL have no idea when it actually takes place), Roxas leaving the Organization, and Roxas vs Riku. That is a VERY small portion of this game and mostly they're during Roxas' temper tantrum, so his behavior will obviously be different.

In short, this game's plot has PLENTY of problems, but I don't think Roxas being OOC is one of them.

Well, that's just my two cents anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I posted this in the KH3 thread, but KingK did a pretty good retrospective on Days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYNCNUtvFk

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Onmi posted:

I posted this in the KH3 thread, but KingK did a pretty good retrospective on Days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYNCNUtvFk

I agree with most of the points in this video, mostly about the part where the context of the game is lost on the movie and how Limit should've made you invincible and how the Panel system is great (and how Leechgrave has no explanation on why it's immune to magic). There are, however, some things I disagree with. Most of them are gameplay-related, but the biggest one is that I'm actually bored after seeing the ice cream scene for the 30th time. There's a reason I put a counter on the LP. For me it's more of waiting for a scene with the other Organization member, which is already sparse in this game and almost nonexistent in the movie.

On another note, I tried getting ingame shots of Larxene's weapon.

This one is obviously not going to work.

These two are the best shots I can get, so which one do you guys prefer? Or should I just use the pictures in the wiki?

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 22, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The first one. The angle is a bit awkward, but you can actually see her knives. Cropping, is, of course, suggested.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

First one (with wiki images as well, if that's not too much effort).

1234567890num posted:

Where did you found this review?

https://marathonrecaps.wordpress.com

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It's now time for Larxene, our favorite bitch, savior of Arandelle.

Her weapon is throwing knives. Obviously, the design won't be visible normally, so we'll have to look at it from a different angle.

None: Trancheuse (Slicer)

This is the best angle I can get, so I hope you enjoy seeing the top of Larxene's head! :buddy:

Skill Gear: Orage (Thunderstorm)
Technical Gear: Tourbillon (Whirlwind)
Duel Gear: Tempête (Tempest)
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together faster, longer ground combos.)

Even then, you can't see it as clearly as Luxord's, so here's the pictures of them straight from KHwiki.

Loaded Gear: Carmin (Carmine)
Chrono Gear: Météore (Meteor)
Phantom Gear: Etoile (Star)

I was about to crop the pictures, but then you'd miss out on the various clips with the bigger knives. And the fact that Larxene's fingers aren't easily seen.

Lift Gear: Irrégulier (Irregular)
Nimble Gear: Dissonance

All of Larxene's weapons' names are in French. The translations are what's written in KHwiki. Since I can't speak French I can't attest to the accuracy of them.

Wild Gear: Eruption
Ominous Gear: Soleil Couchant (Setting Sun)
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area and deal heavy damage.)

These two weapons are huge (at least relatively).

Look at them! They're pretty much the poster knives for "impractical".

Valor Gear: Indigo
Fearless Gear: Vague (Wave)
Prestige Gear: Déluge (Deluge)
(Transforms your weapon into one that performs well in midair.)

Apparently vague in French can be translated into vague or wave. I don't know which one the weapon is referring to, but the wiki says it's the latter.

Crisis Gear: Rafale (Gust)
Omega Gear: Typhon (Typhoon)
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together longer ground and aerial combos.)

Oh, I see that Larxene can just use Typhon at her will. That explains how she can blow Sora off the mountaintop. Doesn't explain her ice labyrinth powers, though.

Also, is it just me or is the Crisis Gear (and Technical Gear) look too much like Xigbar's guns?

Hazard Gear: Extirpeur (Eradicate)

(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Magic and longer aerial combos.)
Apparently this is a misspelling of extirper. Typo or the translation mistake? You decide.

Rage Gear: Croix du Sud (Southern Cross)

Note: Northern Cross not found.

Champion Gear: Lumineuse (Luminous)
Ultimate Gear: Clair de Lune (Moonlight)
(Transforms your weapon and lets you perform longer ground combos with wider reach.)

I'm still curious about the oversized knives. I probably shouldn't because anime, but I still am. How are you going to throw these, anyway?

Pandora's Gear: Vol de Nuit (Night Flight)

This weapon doesn't even look attached to Larxene's hand at all. I guess if you can get away with Axel's hand clipping through his hair multiple times throughout the story, you can get away with this.

Zero Gear: Foudre (Lightning)

It's strange when the official weapon is actually the most practical of them all.

Casual Gear: Demoiselle (Damselfly)
Mystery Gear: Ampoule (Light Bulb)

These are interesting. First up, what is damselfly? Is it a damsel merged with a dragonfly? :confused:

Edit:

mycelia posted:

a damselfly is essentially a weird dragonfly.

You learn something new everyday :eng101:

Second, I really don't expect Larxene to wield dragonflies. How does that even work? I thought it would be pencils or something.

Third, apparently the mystery gear also features a hairclip :rimshot:

Larxene's Limit is a very straightforward one. Just press A to attack. I do wish she'd teleport during it, though. It'll add more flourish to this.

I can't put my finger on it, but something feels off here. Maybe it's how she just stares into space at the end?

Larxene's withdraw pose has her stomping her feet in frustation (not shown here). It's actually kinda cute.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 25, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Larxene owns and I wish there was more of the game devoted to her bullying Roxas.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Southern Cross is a constellation, I don't think there's a northern hemisphere equivalent. :eng101: And a damselfly is essentially a weird dragonfly.

Despite not really being up on my Organisation XVIII knowledge, I'm enjoying these looks at the weapons. :toot:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Larxene owns and I wish there was more of the game devoted to her bullying Roxas.

Me too, but the same can be said for the rest of the Castle Oblivion members sans Axel, really. Or just pretty much everyone beside Axel and Saix.

mycelia posted:

Southern Cross is a constellation, I don't think there's a northern hemisphere equivalent. :eng101: And a damselfly is essentially a weird dragonfly.

Despite not really being up on my Organisation XVIII knowledge, I'm enjoying these looks at the weapons. :toot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cross_(asterism)

Not really a constellation but it exists. And turns out damselflies do exists. Good to know :eng101:

Also, Organization XVIII? (Thinking about it, they really should've called the Organization in this game Organization XIIIi)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Well, we've collected all 3 sigils from each challenges in this game. Before we take a look at our rewards, let's look at what we've been through (or haven't if you didn't read those updates).

Challenge Objectives posted:

Earn lots of munny: 2
Earn lots of heart points: 3
Jump as little as possible: 3
Attack as little as possible: 3
Don't miss with attacks: 4
Fill up the mission gauge: 4
Avoid taking damage: 14
Finish in record time: 52

For a total of 85 challenges spread across 8 updates, over 60% of it has the same objective. And 4 of them has us just completing the mission again. :effort:

The "Don't jump" challenges are actually puzzles in disguise. That makes them much more interesting than some of the other missions. Shame that there's only 3 of them.

I was about to do hightlights from the Challenge updates, but I realize that most of them aren't actually all that noteworthy, so I won't bother. :effort:

For doing the challenges, we unlocked the secret reports, most of which I've already shown in the thread. This shot is taken right after completing this missions, with the game nice enough to tell us which are the newly unlocked.

To unlock these reports, we only need to get one Sigil from all challenges in that particular day. The days without challenges have their reports unlocked automatically (except Day 356).

Now you can pick up a new item at the shop: "Pandora's Gear (5)," kupo!

And here's Pandora's Gear, the last Gear we can unlock. It has lower stat boosts than Zero Gear. It has a special property.

Namely, it automatically has Risky Play which does what you can see on that picture. This applies to every playable character except Xigbar, strangely enough. And no, this does not extend to Pandora's Gear+ for whatever reason.

Fun fact: As has been said in the thread, Omega Weapon's ability all are only effective at full HP. Combine that with Risky Play and you've got yourself a useless weapon.

In short, this weapon is essentially useless. But is the rewards from the sigils worth it? Let's find out.

Challenge Sigils Rewards posted:

45: 2 Firas
50: Slot Releaser
60: 2 Thundaras
70: Phantom Gear+ (4)
80: Slot Releaser
90: Level Up
100: Haste (3)
110: Haste LV+
120: Rage Gear (5)
130: Slot Releaser
140: Level Up
150: Glide (5)
160: Omega Gear (6)
170: Glide LV+
180: LV Doubler (6)
190: Slot Releaser
200: Haste LV+
210: Level Up
220: LV Tripler (4)
230: Level Up
240: Slot Releaser
255: Ultima Weapon

All of those gears have the upgraded version synthesizable (except Casual Gear and Wild Gear+), so those are useless. Yes, that includes Pandora's Gear.

I never used Firas beyond a handful of missions where I'm just trying them out just because. And Thundara is still useless except as materials for Thundaga. Fire, Cure, and Thunder are nice, though.

At least Slot Releaser and Level Up are always nice. I don't really notice the effect of Haste and Glide LV+, but I'm sure they were useful. Somehow.

But the thing I'm sure you're wondering is Ultima Weapon. It is, after all, our reward for trudging through all those challenges, collecting all 3 sigils in each instead of just one. And I haven't been showing it off in the weapons exhibition.

That's because in this game it's actually an ability...for some reason. I don't know why they decided to make it into an ability, but there you go.

As to what it does?

Roxas without any other panels: before and after. It raises our Strength by 85! :woop:

Now let's try this while fully loaded :frogin:

Roxas fully decked out: before and after. It raises our Strength by...15 instead of 85. :flaccid:

Turns out Ultima Weapon increases a weapon base Strength (without any Power Unit) into 100 if it's 85 or lower and just increase it by 15 otherwise. And the base Kingdom Key actually has a base Strength of 15.

We've finished everything in the game, and instead of giving us a sweet rear end weapon that could break the game, you're giving us this poo poo!? :argh:

New reports: (You'd know what these are about if you read my ramblings in the Challenge Updates)

This is the stage for Versus Mode. Most people won't bother seeing it. Just like the multiplayer in this game.

Turns out his name is mentioned in this game. Once. Right after we meet Mojo King Bee.

These are the guys we keep meeting in those stages.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 28, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kingdom Hearts. :argh:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

:downs: Roman numerals were never my strong point. And hey, I learned a thing! :toot:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I'm actually kinda surprised that Demyx has middling Atk Speed. I thought he'd have very low one and we have to rely on his Magic.

None: Basic Model

I was about to say that Demyx weapon seems impractical, but after looking at some of the others it actually doesn't seem that bad.

Skill Gear: Tune-Up
Technical Gear: Quartet
Duel Gear: Quintet

Why isn't the first weapon called Trio?

Loaded Gear: Overture
Chrono Gear: Old Hand
Phantom Gear: Da Capo

I don't know what Old Hand has to do with the naming scheme here.

Lift Gear: Power Chord
Nimble Gear: Fermata

I wish we'd get to create the water clones and maybe have them physically attack instead of Demyx waving the sitar around. It would fit his character, after all.

Wild Gear: Interlude
Ominous Gear: Serenade
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area and deal heavy damage.)

Again, I would say that the sitar is too big to be playable, but I'm sure plenty of actual 'portable' instruments are even bigger.

Valor Gear: Songbird
Fearless Gear: Rise to Fame
Prestige Gear: Rock Star

That said, I'm not sure how heavy it actually is, but it sure looks heavy. I'm not sure you'd actually want to bring it around everywhere.

Crisis Gear: Eight-Finger
Omega Gear: Concerto
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Magic and ground combo speed.)

And I'm pretty sure you don't want to use your instrument to hit enemies if you want them intact.

Also, I'm not sure what Eight-Finger has to do with the naming scheme.

Hazard Gear: Harmonics

If Tony taught me anything, is that messing up his instrument will net us a Game Over.

He did also gave us a Game Over for not agreeing to help him, failing to help him, being framed for snooping into his room, being scammed by him, etc. But still...

Rage Gear: Million Bucks
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together longer ground and aerial combos.)

This one definitely has nothing to do with musical terms. It does have something to do with why some people make musics, though :homebrew:

Champion Gear: Fortissimo
Ultimate Gear: Up to Eleven

Neither do Up to Eleven. It should've been Pianissimo instead.

Pandora's Gear: Sanctuary

Still better than Simple and Clean, Face My Fears, and Don't Think Twice.

Zero Gear: Arpeggio

I already said it before, but I'm disppointed that we don't get to fight Demyx in KH3. In fact, I don't think Sora and co. even meet Demyx in that game. Or Vexen for that matter.

Casual Gear: Prince of Awesome
Mystery Gear: After School

The mystery gear is actually a Japanese thing where you have to clean the class after school. And I'm pretty sure the Casual Gear is referencing the sports brand.

This Limit is actually one of the more complicated ones. We have to press A in time with Demyx's strumming (or when he flashes). He will strum in his own beat, different with the BGM, which makes doing this actually kinda hard.

If we manage to do it consecutively, it will add more water pillars according to the streak until the maximum of 4. If we break the streak, we have to start over from the 1st level.

In the Final Limit, a 5th level will be added where there's water explosion. That will stop the strumming, but when we continue we will start back on the 4th level instead.

During the streak, Demyx will move very slowly. We can move quickly by not pressing A, but the Limit timer will still go on. So basically this Limit isn't bad but it's not reliable.

Dance, water, dance! :dance:

I actually find Demyx one of the easier bosses on KH2 Critical. The hardest one for me is Cerberus. Thresholder (Beast's Castle Basement Boss) comes a close second.

Speaking of it, I think in his animation of it he actually plays his sitar as if it's a piano.

Demyx actually headbangs here. While having his hand on top of his head.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Also, I'm not sure what Eight-Finger has to do with the naming scheme.

Eight notes in an Octave.

Besides, your spoilered commentary fits when you remember he's rather ditch a job than do it. Why bother getting involved any more than he already did?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

1234567890num posted:

Ultimate Gear: Up to Eleven

Neither do Up to Eleven. It should've been Pianissimo instead.

Up to Eleven is a reference to This is Spinal Tap.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fun fact about Demyx! In the original audio, Demyx has a very whiny voice, befitting his personality.

When he gets to the "Silence, traitor." line, though... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JE_X4PvPs&t=100s

While the same effect is sort of achieved in English, the Japanese voice actor managed to sell it a bit better.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

Eight notes in an Octave.

Besides, your spoilered commentary fits when you remember he's rather ditch a job than do it. Why bother getting involved any more than he already did?

The why would they say eight fingers instead of eight notes? I never heard that term.

I guess what you're saying is true, but it doesn't make me any less disappointed. They could've just used a tournament where Demyx appears there unexplained, just like the FF characters in KH1 and KH2.

BisbyWorl posted:

Up to Eleven is a reference to This is Spinal Tap.

So that's where it comes from. I just know that it's a term for taking something to the next level.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fun fact about Demyx! In the original audio, Demyx has a very whiny voice, befitting his personality.

When he gets to the "Silence, traitor." line, though... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0JE_X4PvPs&t=100s

While the same effect is sort of achieved in English, the Japanese voice actor managed to sell it a bit better.

I have to agree that the Japanese delivery is better. It's a shame that he only gets to be serious in like two lines ("You shouldn't judge anyone by appearance"). I still think Demyx should've had more screentime.

But to be honest, Goofy's Japanese voice just sounds so wrong to me. Maybe it's because he says things so slowly, but it just sounds unnerving.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

We only have 3 Organization members left, so let's go through Xemnas first.

None: Malice

Xemnas weapon is pretty much laser swords, but etheral is more scientifically accurate. As scientifically accurate as you can get with Kingdom Hearts, at least.

Skill Gear: Sanction
Technical Gear: Overlord
Duel Gear: Veneration

It's not exactly the same as Star Wars one, though, since this one has different shapes in addition to different colors.

Loaded Gear: Autocracy
Chrono Gear Conquest
Phantom Gear: Terminus

Some of these shapes are absolutely terrible. But, like the previous members' weapons have shown me, I pretty much know nothing about anime weapon design :shrug:

Lift Gear: Judgment
Nimble Gear: Discipline

Nimble Gear looks a lot like Saix's default claymore.

Wild Gear: Aristocracy
Ominous Gear: Superiority

By the way, why is Xemnas' back bent? He's not hunched, it's just bent very unnaturally.

Valor Gear: Aggression
Fearless Gear: Fury
Prestige Gear: Despair
(Transforms your weapon into one with higher Strength.)

The face is missing, but that can be said for other members too. And there's an explanation for that (it's too small to be spotted normally so why bother :effort:).

Crisis Gear: Triumph
Omega Gear: Ruination

Even with all these recolors, there's still a substantial amount of :effortless: put into this mode.

Hazard Gear: Domination

I already said it before, but there's plenty of different animations for different actions.

Rage Gear: Annihilation
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and ground combo speed.)

Not to mention that some of the Limit Breaks are very different mechanically. Like Demyx

Champion Gear: Tyrant
Ultimate Gear: Magnificence
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together much longer ground and aerial combos.)

Do you notice that Xemnas has something missing that's present in every other member?

Hint: It has something to do with blue.

Pandora's Gear: Infinity

This one doesn't look ethereal to me.

Zero Gear: Interdiction

In the end, Xemnas actual weapon is the one that looks most like a lightsaber. And it's also the least elaborate blade.

Casual Gear: Round Fan
Mystery Gear: Absolute

The Mystery Gear's shape is supposedly supposed to represent an empty heart, which shows that he has no heart (supposedly). Or that Xehanort is an anagram of NoXHeart. Too bad it can't be seen clearly.

Xemnas' Limit is automatic. All we can do is just to move around. With normal speed at the first half but with a crawl at the second.

It's kinda hard to aim, but it sure looks cool.

Xemnas for some reason punches in his victory pose. I can't think of any other time Xemnas punches. Kicks, maybe, but not punches.

His withdraw pose is the 'Kingdom Hearts' pose. It's ridiculous and I like it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The weird thing about Xemnas' LB is that he uses it in KH1 and then apparently never again.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Oh, right. I completely forgot Xemnas actually used that attack.

On that note, how hard is Xemnas in KH1? From what I've seen, his moves aren't that different from the one in DDD (the KH2 version split those moves into two different battles), but KH1 is much clunkier.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't say. Haven't played any of the Final Mixes. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, looking at this retrospective made a good point: the game says the Organization walls off areas not important to the mission, but Roxas goes to C.O. and passes out.

Then when he goes to Twilight Town, there are barriers up blocking him off from parts of town. Even though he wasn't slated to go there. :v:

Also, I guess Xion running around was an attempt to get Roxas alone to talk about the Sora thing before Axel interrupted.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The walls being put up by the Organization is pretty much just an excuse for a roadblock. I can pretty much let this one slide. After all, it's still not as bad as "People dancing for no reason and then disappearing for no reason."

Xion running around while getting hit by Roxas doesn't seem conducive to get Roxas alone. She's still just running around instead of leading Roxas somewhere else.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Days' writing is weird. :(

"Roxas, your real name is Sora." "Okay, who is Sora?" "Maybe you should stop asking me about that unless you want something bad to happen to your friend. :argh:"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Days' writing is weird. :(

"Roxas, your real name is Sora." "Okay, who is Sora?" "Maybe you should stop asking me about that unless you want something bad to happen to your friend. :argh:"

"Sora is the person whom you were before you became a Nobody, Roxas. Just as Xigbar," "Yo." "was Braig, or Axel was Lea. When we become Nobodies, the person we were perished, and as we are no longer that person, we have no right to that name. So, out of tradition, we take our old name, add an 'X' to it, and rearrange to find something suitable."

*Roxas thinks* "Who was Xion, then?"

"Nio, I believe her name was. And like you, her becoming a Nobody was traumatic enough that she too has forgotten most of her life before. Such a shame, and I think you two would do well to be as friends to support each other. Help each other, Roxas, for together, the two of you are stronger than you are apart."

"Oh. Thanks. That helps. I think. I need to think on this."

"Go. But please, do not forget the missions assigned to you by Saix. They are important too."

And that is how Xehanort could have kept Roxas onboard with the O13 8 9.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty much. Considering that Roxas is kind of a dope in Days and Xemnas apparently got his Master Xehanort memories back from the Chamber of Secrets, I find it unbelievable that he couldn't have rused Roxas better than this.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It's almost like Days' story is really loving stupid and poorly thought out or something.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

"Sora is the person whom you were before you became a Nobody, Roxas. Just as Xigbar," "Yo." "was Braig, or Axel was Lea. When we become Nobodies, the person we were perished, and as we are no longer that person, we have no right to that name. So, out of tradition, we take our old name, add an 'X' to it, and rearrange to find something suitable."

*Roxas thinks* "Who was Xion, then?"

"Nio, I believe her name was. And like you, her becoming a Nobody was traumatic enough that she too has forgotten most of her life before. Such a shame, and I think you two would do well to be as friends to support each other. Help each other, Roxas, for together, the two of you are stronger than you are apart."

"Oh. Thanks. That helps. I think. I need to think on this."

"Go. But please, do not forget the missions assigned to you by Saix. They are important too."

And that is how Xehanort could have kept Roxas onboard with the O13 8 9.

This would work if not for Saix being an rear end in a top hat to Roxas and Riku NOT being an rear end in a top hat to Xion.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty much. Considering that Roxas is kind of a dope in Days and Xemnas apparently got his Master Xehanort memories back from the Chamber of Secrets, I find it unbelievable that he couldn't have rused Roxas better than this.

Something something forgetting how to manipulate feelings something something believing the lie that Nobodies don't have hearts.

Or at least that's what Nomura would say, considering Xemnas' final scene in KH3. Personally, I don't buy it.

TheLoneStar posted:

It's almost like Days' story is really loving stupid and poorly thought out or something.

Days' story is coherent, which is more than you can say about DDD. And it's actually relevant in KH3 albeit pretty much just in one of the final battles, which is more than you can say about Coded.

I'm saying that Days' story is bad, but it's not the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Next up is Lexaeus, the best playable character. He's slow, but he's insanely strong. His magic is pitiful, though.

Not that it matters that much since if you're playing this mode with just one character, then you're playing it wrong.

None: Reticence

Lexaeus' weapon is an axe sword. I still don't know what those actually are.

Skill Gear: Goliath
Technical Gear: Copper Rod
Duel Gear: Daybreak
(Transforms your weapon into one with higher Strength.)

It was called tomahawk in CoM and KH2. It's not really accurate, but it's more descriptive than axe sword.

Loaded Gear: Colossus
Chrono Gear: Ursa Major
Phantom Gear: Megacosm
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area.)

After all, it's wielded like an axe and thrown like a tomahawk. It's never wielded like a sword.

Lift Gear: Terrene
Nimble Gear: Fuligin

Fuligin apparently means either soot or a hypothetical color darker than black.

In other words, it's apparently THE color in Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney.

Wild Gear: Hard Winter
Ominous Gear: Firefly
(Transforms your weapon into one that performs very well in midair.)

Firefly? That feels out of place.

Valor Gear: Harbinger
Fearless Gear: Redwood
Prestige Gear: Sequoia
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and ground combo speed.)

Fun fact: Sequoia and Redwood is pretty much the same thing.

Crisis Gear: Iron Black
Omega Gear: Earthshine

No, I did not make a mistake. Both this set and the last one has the same effect. Different abilities, though.

Hazard Gear: Octiron

I don't know what Octiron means. The only definition I found is the one from Discworld.

Rage Gear: Hyperion

And by longer combos, it means changing the combos from 2-hit into 3-hit. Hooray. :geno:

Champion Gear: Clarity
Ultimate Gear: 1001 Nights
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and combo reach.)

1001 Nights? Really?

Pandora's Gear: Cardinal Virtue

The four cardinal virtues are justice, prudence, temperance, and fortitude. Fortitude is obvious. And you can make the case for temperance and prudence. But I don't think he represents Justice at all.

I mean, all he did is provoke Riku into using Darkness™. I don't think he even has a single line in DDD. He definitely didn't have any in KH3 :(

Zero Gear: Skysplitter

I feel that this one has the best name. It's simple and it cleanly ties in to Lexaeus' element.

Casual Gear: Bleep Bloop Bop
Mystery Gear: Monolith

Casual Gear's name is perfect :allears:

And yes, it also has a special sound effect.

Lexaeus' Limit is kinda similar to Marluxia's in that you have to wait for the ring around him to change color to indicate that he charged his attack. And that there's a third level in the second half. The only difference is that you have to hold A instead of pressing it to charge and again to attack. Note that nowhere in the game itself states how these Limit Break works, so it's up to you to experiment (or just look it up).

It's also insanely powerful. Just watch the second half of the video to see how powerful it is. And that's with me using Casual Gear and messing up the execution a few times. I end up beating the upgraded Final Boss without healing :smug:

This pose would be better if there's actually visible power-up aura in it :colbert:

His withdraw pose really isn't that interesting.