Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Speaking of video game movies, how bad of an idea would it to be to create a thread where we go through all wide-released video game films and watch them chronologically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be an extremely bad idea, please do so

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's a bad idea in the sense of 'a lot of video game movies are drat boring', not in the fun sense of it being a bunch of trainwrecks

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

NikkolasKing posted:

Surprised they don't adapt the more "Western" anime like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.

They've been kicking around Bebop for awhile and I wouldn't be too surprised if it finally gets off the ground in the event of an adaptation boom.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Cowboy Bebop is always the one I'm most surprised hasn't gotten a live action movie yet just because it's like, inadvertently custom made for a Hollywood adaptation. Already western cast, fairly light hearted, cool look and sound, heist/bounty hunter stories with some twists stuff.

MonsieurChoc posted:

A live-action adaptation of Genocyber.

The comic was cancelled so early (I forget why, was there some creative drama or something?) but it would fuckin' rule if there were a movie(s) that went the path of the OAVs. Are there any other stories like that where every time the titular character acts it's an apocalyptic event and the entire geo political landscape and environment of the planet is permanently altered?

Also those cybrogs in the first bit, Battle Angel gave me faith in CG for stuff like that but can you even imagine that stuff rolling out with practical effects and R rated gore and everything? It'd be awesome.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 21, 2019

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NikkolasKing posted:

Surprised they don't adapt the more "Western" anime like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.

I actually just started rewatching Trigun this past weekend and goddamn is that still a cool as gently caress show.

I know it's kind of cliche to say right now but Vash should be played by Ryan Reynolds.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

The dude had a huge overbite, hehe.

Huh. Thank you for this good post. I can really only picture Mercury at Live Aid in my mind's eye, I guess.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Live action version of Cyber City Oedo. :getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jimbot posted:

Live action version of Cyber City Oedo. :getin:

gently caress yes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

I disagree with the title of this video. It is, in fact, the greatest exchange in anime history.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

e

Mordiceius posted:

I actually just started rewatching Trigun this past weekend and goddamn is that still a cool as gently caress show.

I know it's kind of cliche to say right now but Vash should be played by Ryan Reynolds.

Trigun is both simple and yet interesting enough to fit into a great film. Humanity is trapped on a desert hellworld, there's one lone super badass who fights against the despondency and selfishness that reigns in such a place, has an evil brother who also fights against all that except his solution is to just murder all the evil people, and so-on. Pretty interesting backstory and worldbuilding that is more in the manga but you can still do the stuff with Rem and seeing Knives lose his mind in a movie adaptation.

I think idealism in anime tends to be absolutely awful and unbelievable. Trigun alone really does it right because the idealism is embodied in this one poor sap named Vash the Stampede who is determined to make the desert hellworld a better place. He has the talent and the charisma to pull it off and not many anime protagonists (looking at you Naruto) do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q6AwrGUkQ

I disagree with the title of this video. It is, in fact, the greatest exchange in anime history.

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the single coolest anime ever made. There's plenty of better anime out there. But it's the coolest and fuckin' owns. Also extremely rare case for that time where the English dub and soundtrack is better than the Japanese one. :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLua6NDwIk

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Trigun is both simple and yet interesting enough to fit into a great film. Humanity is trapped on a desert hellworld, there's one lone super badass who fights against the despondency and selfishness that reigns in such a place, has an evil brother who also fights against all that except his solution is to just murder all the evil people, and so-on. Pretty interesting backstory and worldbuilding that is more in the manga but you can still do the stuff with Rem and seeing Knives lose his mind in a movie adaptation.

I think idealism in anime tends to be absolutely awful and unbelievable. Trigun alone really does it right because the idealism is embodied in this one poor sap named Vash the Stampede who is determined to make the desert hellworld a better place. He has the talent and the charisma to pull it off and not many anime protagonists (looking at you Naruto) do.

I think it could also work as either a single solo film or a set of 2-3 films.

Alternatively, just give it the Netflix/Amazon Prime treatment and just make it a miniseries.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Neo Rasa posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808 is the single coolest anime ever made. There's plenty of better anime out there. But it's the coolest and fuckin' owns. Also extremely rare case for that time where the English dub and soundtrack is better than the Japanese one. :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeLua6NDwIk

unfortunately there's only like 3 episodes on youtube,and i'm not so debased that i'd actually buy anime like some kind of....nerd.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

unfortunately there's only like 3 episodes on youtube,and i'm not so debased that i'd actually buy anime like some kind of....nerd.

It's not based on a manga or anything. Those three episodes are unfortunately all that was ever made. There is a fourth episode in the form of a PC Engine CD visual novel though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy crap, people liked Rampage? That took me three viewings just to get through.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The current best video game movie is Pokemon Mystery of the Unown

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Do Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUx0pqA80UU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Way too little love for Street Fighter in this video game movie discussion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

A live-action adaptation of Genocyber.

Necrostorm would probably be down. :v:

e: holy poo poo, y'all had a whole little conversation about old OVAs and Genocyber without me! I love that goddamn series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

Holy crap, people liked Rampage? That took me three viewings just to get through.

The Rock shouldn’t have been in it. He takes over a role that should’ve been a side character to George.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

The Rock shouldn’t have been in it. He takes over a role that should’ve been a side character to George.

I'll take The Rock over bland protagonist #37, I mean you need somebody in the main protagonist role. It can't be George because he's not himself for like 2/3 of the movie. Better to have a guy who has a presence so that the non-monster scenes can at least be mildly entertaining.

If you're just sick of The Rock at this point I get it, I'm just not there myself, I still like him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It should have been a movie where the Rock gets even larger than he already is to fight giant monsters

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love The Rock and he’s amazing. But he’s too amazing and took over the film imo. Although the movie gets credit for disturbing me more than once so good on it I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish the Rock would be in better movies

Arnold, Arnold knew how to pick and choose projects for a good long stretch of time

The Rock has been running on the Arnold downward slope of the late 90s for 90% of his career without the weird highs of End of Days to back him up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just think it's a classic "be careful what you wish for" situation. Put Charlie Hunnam in that role and the movie becomes much more of a snoozer, no matter how good the monster scenes are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the movie is already a snoozer. I really didn't like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Actually come to think of it they should have gone all the way with it. Instead of giant apes or lizards it should have been an even larger Rock fighting other similarly huge musclemen. Piledrivers off skyscrapers, shotputting stadiums, etc.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually come to think of it they should have gone all the way with it. Instead of giant apes or lizards it should have been an even larger Rock fighting other similarly huge musclemen. Piledrivers off skyscrapers, shotputting stadiums, etc.

If they'd actually been faithful to the original games, The Rock would've transformed into a giant ape and the bad CEO lady would've transformed into the giant lizard.

Basically, it should've been the exact same plot as Venom instead of only like 80% the same plot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not based on a manga or anything. Those three episodes are unfortunately all that was ever made. There is a fourth episode in the form of a PC Engine CD visual novel though.

seriously? awwh man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mecha Gojira posted:

If they'd actually been faithful to the original games, The Rock would've transformed into a giant ape and the bad CEO lady would've transformed into the giant lizard.

Basically, it should've been the exact same plot as Venom instead of only like 80% the same plot.

I would’ve loved this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I'll take The Rock over bland protagonist #37, I mean you need somebody in the main protagonist role. It can't be George because he's not himself for like 2/3 of the movie. Better to have a guy who has a presence so that the non-monster scenes can at least be mildly entertaining.

If you're just sick of The Rock at this point I get it, I'm just not there myself, I still like him.

I'm not sure I'm "sick of" the Rock. I definitely rolled my eyes at the Rock and his super powers during Rampage. On the other hand I agree that I have no idea how I would have gotten through it if it was Charlie Hunnam or someone in that role. Rock's not the problem, I don't think. Its just a really bad movie because the whole thing has to wait for the final act.

Maybe like if you give Manganiello and Morgan more to do or something? Or give the vamping villain someone to actually play against? I'm pretty sure it was just a real dumb idea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I misread this as "One Hundred Dollars" and thought it was some fun anecdote about Brie Larson ordering room service on Disney's tab or something.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

we gotta institute some rule that if you post a title to a clickbait video you gotta summarize it so the rest of us don't have to seek it out and give it hits to hear the dumbass take within

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm guessing "Brie Larson said something vaguely critical of white men so now the feminazi has destroyed Marvel and we white men will boycott all MCU films and you can look at the movie's fan RT score before release for evidence that its working and Marvel is dead."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They are mad that in Endgame all the men will be defeated and then she will come out of nowhere and easily defeat Thanos without breaking a sweat proving that all men are useless.

I mean they presume that's what will happen

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I hope that's what happens. That would be sweet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah "woman saves the day thus making my penis shrink." I forgot that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well that would be narratively unsatisfying to have a character who didn't exist two months ago show up and solve everything.