Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

Is Kiwami supposed to crash everytime I open the graphics menu?

Yes that definitely sounds like a normal feature of any video game :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SpaceCommie posted:

Is Kiwami supposed to crash everytime I open the graphics menu?

obviously you need to purchase the graphics heat move first

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mp5 posted:

obviously you need to purchase the graphics heat move first

Essence of Scaling

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yes that definitely sounds like a normal feature of any video game :confused:

That's a relief I thought something was broken.

Even with the black border round the screen it's ace to be back with Kiryu.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SpaceCommie posted:

That's a relief I thought something was broken.

Even with the black border round the screen it's ace to be back with Kiryu.

you should verify your game files, sounds like your shits all hosed up

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you should verify your game files, sounds like your shits all hosed up

Tried that but no dice.

It does the same thing whether I'm playing on my PC or through the steam link (where I can relax on the sofa with a gamepad like a real Yakuza) so I'm just gonna put up with having my monitor's native 1200x1920 instead of my TVs 1080x1920.

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
i had to take a photo of this special moment in YK2. scrolling through my photos a couple day later i noticed my phone's facial recognition kicked in, and now i can't look at this without laughing.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

going from 0 as my first game to Kiwami I'm kind of confused as to how and why Majima a pretty layered character just turned into the yakuza version of the joker?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IDONTPOST posted:

going from 0 as my first game to Kiwami I'm kind of confused as to how and why Majima a pretty layered character just turned into the yakuza version of the joker?

Yeah that seems to be everyone’s reaction (including mine). Apparently his arc makes more sense if you play the games in order of release instead of in-fiction chronology so I’m just gonna strap in and enjoy the ride.

Additionally, majima only had apparently a handful of scenes in the original game, the bulk of his content is added for kiwami (or the remaster, I forget which, kiwami is the only one i played). He’s still a oddball in his original scenes though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've only played 0 so there is probably a lot I am missing, but personally I love the idea that Majima is trying to make Kiryu as strong as possible as thanks/payback for protecting Makoto and keeping her alive when he couldn't.

If I remember right, he only starts putting on the crazy voice/weirdo characteristics at the end of 0 to keep Makoto from recognizing him, right?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I've only played 0 so there is probably a lot I am missing, but personally I love the idea that Majima is trying to make Kiryu as strong as possible as thanks/payback for protecting Makoto and keeping her alive when he couldn't.

If I remember right, he only starts putting on the crazy voice/weirdo characteristics at the end of 0 to keep Makoto from recognizing him, right?

part of it is that, part of it is that by the end of 0, his entire life has been hosed up for no real good reason that he's going to live and do whatever the gently caress he wants

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Pretty much. He decided it would be better for her sake to just let her go. He's a trouble magnet and she deserves a happy ending. This whole plotline gets tied off in Kiwami 2.

Super duper spoilers if you just can't wait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P52UiRjgj6Y

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

pissed i cant play as Majima in Kawami, was my favorite character to play as in 0 I'd just spam the break dancing style and every fight was easy as poo poo. I have no idea how to play as Kiryu

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the crazy knife man persona was the key to majima's success and the respect of his peers. by kiwami he'd been doing it for close to 20 years and had thoroughly internalized the whole mess.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

A recurring theme amongst the people attempting to dampen the hype of other people who were excited for Kiwami was "its not as good as 0 and its more of an expansion than a full blown huge game".

And all of that is true and its still absolutely amazing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

IDONTPOST posted:

pissed i cant play as Majima in Kawami, was my favorite character to play as in 0 I'd just spam the break dancing style and every fight was easy as poo poo. I have no idea how to play as Kiryu

If all else fails, drop the difficulty down to easy, pick brawler style, and spam square 3x > triangle. That combo got me through a lot when I didn't feel like trying hard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's too much dang rng in majima everywhere. the rare majimas are too rare!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

IDONTPOST posted:

Go beast mode and smash people with other people's property, duh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IDONTPOST posted:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that seems to be everyone’s reaction (including mine). Apparently his arc makes more sense if you play the games in order of release instead of in-fiction chronology so I’m just gonna strap in and enjoy the ride.

This is very true honestly, and in Yakuza 1 yakuza version of the Joker is exactly what is he. He was even voiced by Mark Hamill!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't wait until you guys discover the art of Tiger Drop

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gorn Myson posted:

its more of an expansion than a full blown huge game

It really isn't that. It's a total remake of the original PS2 game. Which is extremely awesome and is still more content and fun than I've gotten from $60 titles this year.

It just pales in comparison to Zero and Kiwami 2 because holy poo poo those games. I'm having more fun with Kiwami than 4, that's for sure.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think that Y4 is fun but I can't wait until it gets a graphical touch up. definitely looks rough in places

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

kiwami's plot seems a lot more dumb and on the nose so far than 0 but i still love my Japanese beat um up soap opera

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
well yeah, it's a vidya game from 2005. you should check out the original english dub, it's a hoot

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceCommie posted:

Tried that but no dice.

It does the same thing whether I'm playing on my PC or through the steam link (where I can relax on the sofa with a gamepad like a real Yakuza) so I'm just gonna put up with having my monitor's native 1200x1920 instead of my TVs 1080x1920.
Sorry this is happening! For what it's worth it's easy to edit the graphics settings by hand in the ini file, it's stored in c:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Roaming\Sega\YakuzaKiwami\graphics.ini

You should be able to change the resolution to whatever you want.

Unfortunately QA and dev haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet, but I'd expect it to be patched before too long.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Akuma posted:

Sorry this is happening! For what it's worth it's easy to edit the graphics settings by hand in the ini file, it's stored in c:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Roaming\Sega\YakuzaKiwami\graphics.ini

Unfortunately QA and dev haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet, but I'd expect it to be patched before too long.

Brilliant thanks! I was planning to see if I could manually sort it when I got home tonight.

To be honest the game is so great I've been able to completely ignore it. It's running as smooth as anything, and looks gorgeous.

I'm just assuming Majima got into my copy and is trying to get me to toughen up. If the resolution keeps dropping every time I loose to him I'll let you know.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pixel-chan!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress, puyo puyo is going to be a bigger road block than mahjong. I didn't realize it was this hard to knock off on the completion list

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

mastershakeman posted:

gently caress, puyo puyo is going to be a bigger road block than mahjong. I didn't realize it was this hard to knock off on the completion list

Puyo Puyo made me give up Y6's completion list. It sucked to go on these monster tears of beating 5-6 people after struggling for an hour and hurry back to your list to see that none of them counted as people you needed to beat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo now Kiryu has an adorable little girl and a puppy to protect. I didn't think I could adore him any more than I already did.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Policenaut posted:

Puyo Puyo made me give up Y6's completion list. It sucked to go on these monster tears of beating 5-6 people after struggling for an hour and hurry back to your list to see that none of them counted as people you needed to beat.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I can get to streaks of 3 wins pretty often and 4 sometimes and was feeling real confident then welp . Good thing puyo is really fun even though I'm bad at it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IDONTPOST posted:

If it helps, after upgrading a bit use beast style to melt through regular fights on the street, rush against dudes that block a lot, brawler against everything else.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
If you are new to Puyo -

Stack the right three columns as fast as you can, all the way to the top, creating groups of three Puyos. When they're full, trigger a grouping near the bottom, which will hopefully cause a chain. Repeat.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Akuma posted:

Just to update now I'm home, you're amazing and my sexless, never murdering sim is now displaying correctly!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just caved and imported Ishin so congratulations everybody else because it's now certainly going to be announced for localisation between now and when it arrives.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I just caved and imported Ishin so congratulations everybody else because it's now certainly going to be announced for localisation between now and when it arrives.
Thank you for your sacrifice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Random Hajile posted:

Thank you for your sacrifice.

:hai:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Kiwami, The Florist - I almost cried, that was good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Toshihiro Nagoshi was specifically waiting for you to import it before releasing Ishin to the west. Thank you for fulfilling your destiny.

However, I do think they gotta Kiwamize Ishin because people probably can't go back to an early PS4 yakuza game. They gotta have several fighting styles named after sort of realistic sword schools/gun use. maybe even include a picture mode where the game takes your image and turns it into Ukiyo-e.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought Kenzan in 2011 and I'm still waiting :(