Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ buy that train. What the hell is wrong with you.

Peep the gas tank between the seats. Choo-Choo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Back in the game, got bids in on 2 vans. Up tonight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I am not buying the train or that hosed up Surf get outta toooowwwnnn

I didn't buy the G-imny because I ain't no poser :colbert:

everdave posted:

Back in the game, got bids in on 2 vans. Up tonight.

Whatup I might be a two-vanner too, though I'm only going to buy one of them. Doesn't look like we're competing so I'll be curious to see our results!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Isuzu Fargo and Nissan Caravan both mint I should hear soon

Edit: I’d love to know what vans you bid bc I went through everything today, I’ll be at the beach pretty much first 3 weeks of March.

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 22, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

lol what the gently caress why did they use a skylite roof model and just cover it up with abortive train details? lol

:yeshaha:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Isuzu Fargo and Nissan Caravan both mint I should hear soon

Edit: I’d love to know what vans you bid bc I went through everything today, I’ll be at the beach pretty much first 3 weeks of March.

If it's that gold Nissan Caravan with like 15k kms on it poo poo is busted, auction isn't cancelled but it's actually an R grade, front dents

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Was bidding on that one too.

I got one. Isuzu. Super low miles rust coated new.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Was bidding on that one too.

I got one. Isuzu. Super low miles rust coated new.

Looks cool and all but column shift 5 speed. I don't know if I'm ready to graduate to 5 on the uh, vine?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’ve only done 3 on the tree back in the 90s. On 60’s cars. Man it’s a stretch but this thing is factory fresh and rust treated since new. Under carriage is insane looks new. Would love thoughts will I lose my shirt or can I #vanlife

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I’ve only done 3 on the tree back in the 90s. On 60’s cars. Man it’s a stretch but this thing is factory fresh and rust treated since new. Under carriage is insane looks new. Would love thoughts will I lose my shirt or can I #vanlife

What gave me pause when I saw it was the column shift plus it doesn't have any back seats (that I can see, anyway) and it isn't 4WD. Usually (and I haven't sold a full size van yet so this is just me assuming things) I look for three things in a van, diesel, 4WD and manual transmission. If it has one aspect then it should have some sort of interesting thing, like a sunroof or bitchin' graphics or coolbox or something gimmicky. The ideal vans have all three (turbo diesel, manual transmission, 4x4) plus the gimmick (skylight roof, hot/cool/69 Box). I think your Fargo looks rad as hell style wise, and you do have dual sliding doors which is cool. Mileage is super low also but I just wonder what the buyer looks like.

Here is what I bid and lost out on:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, diesel turbo, sunroof, electric winch, aftermarket 16" wheels, rear heater, cool box, side steps, steering wheel cover installed, seats burns, ceiling liner dirty, studless tires, other dents and scratches

Inspection Report posted:

20071- battery weak, engine takes 3-5 seconds to start, slight diesel smoke, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area oily and dripping to ground, studless tires at 40%, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage ok, undercover bent and cracked, boots ok, windshield chips ok, seats worn, drivers seat 4 burns, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, ac ok, no burns, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, windows ok, sunroof slow but ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

Put in a bid for 683,325 yen, it sold for 700,000, a USD difference of 150 bucks. What probably did me in though was the sheet didn't mention an oil leak at all, where as when the inspector got there the valve cover gasket was leaking enough to drip. People were probably bidding on the sheet alone and are going to be surprised when they have to pump 300~ or so more bucks into it, at least. Still, a pretty sweet Delica, doesn't have the super sunroof option but it has the center glass panel in the roof, plus it has the COOLBOX and the dual AC system. Wasn't thrilled that the wheels had been upsized to 16s as that just means more expensive tires.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 22, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I was all over that Deli has a winch and cooler box but just too rich for my blood. Awesome truck. I don’t know about my Isuzu the undercarriage shots got me

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What sold me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I'm not going for it, but raaaaaaaaaaad as hell

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Won a minty 5 speed Deli for 190

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Won a minty 5 speed Deli for 190

The white one or the silver one?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 23, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This one

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Yeah the 2WD gasoline one, huh. Curious who your buyers for this and the Fargo are going to be like.

I've got a Delica:

1988 Mitsubishi Delica P25W Exceed. This bastard is 30 goddamned years old and that's just goofy. Normally I post detailed pictures of vehicles we get before we clean them but in this case an insane rubber mat situation meant I jumped right into cleaning. "Exceed" in so far as I am aware is the top-level trim for Delicas in this time, there is also a 'Super Exceed' level though I don't know if it was on the before-redesign Delicas like ours. Notice it has quad glass headlamps vs. the more swoopy single lens versions that most Delicas you'd see have. I am also unsure if the super glass sunroof was an option on these early L300s either. :iiam:

It's real clean and a shitload of fun to drive. You sit so high, we're talking bus-level seating position. To get in you really do have to use the handles on the interior A pillars to get in, and absolutely have to use the bullbar steps. This one is in exceptionally good shape, has 126,000 km or around 79,000 miles.

Bonus goodboy:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 24, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat KakerMix that looks good as hell.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
All your steering inputs need to be after the normal time. Otherwise you will be jumping curbs making right hand turns. VW Vanagons were like this as well (read any cab over)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Clean clean looks awesome

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Very nice looking Delica! Very cool square lights. I hadn't seen one with those before.

quote:

It's real clean and a shitload of fun to drive. You sit so high, we're talking bus-level seating position. To get in you really do have to use the handles on the interior A pillars to get in, and absolutely have to use the bullbar steps.

lol yep! It does feel vaguely like you're operating a bus. I was surprised by how much I enjoy driving mine. It was as good around the town as it was on the highway. Feels nimbler than you'd think. I've taken it on some dirt logging roads as well and its held up great so far.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Shame about the no sale on BaT. It looked like bidding was really making a run at the end there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kastivich posted:

Shame about the no sale on BaT. It looked like bidding was really making a run at the end there.

Completely expected though, really. I had a dude try to trade me a Samurais with 100k miles on it. Nice Samurai sure but what the hell, the value proposition is way the hell off.

I gave it about a 75%~ chance of it not hitting reserve. At least now I can start driving it again :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KakerMix posted:

Completely expected though, really. I had a dude try to trade me a Samurais with 100k miles on it. Nice Samurai sure but what the hell, the value proposition is way the hell off.

I gave it about a 75%~ chance of it not hitting reserve. At least now I can start driving it again :getin:

Have you gotten the same writing for these imports? Will they take the RNM as a data point into the next listing?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

Have you gotten the same writing for these imports? Will they take the RNM as a data point into the next listing?

Nah, Bring a Trailer is far away from being an enthusiast hot-spot, it's all business dudes and ~investors~ now. They have made that turn that all cool indie-like companies do where they get popular because of A, then make the turn to start burning A to make profit, then homogenize into everything else, for some other outfit to take their place, then the process happens with that place, etc on and on.
Which is to say, no, I didn't have the same writer. I always have a pleasant time working with BaT but it's pretty clear that they don't learn much or take in anything. They are too business-focused and too big now.

Plus that community they have, dang. A couple of the dudes seem a bit too salty about the results of the auction. Saying things like "Well right hand drive is a hard sell, that was a good price!" plus the dude trying to offer a 100k mile Samurai :psyduck: I'm not upset I wasted 99 bucks so why do they seem to be personally insulted that we have different ideas of what the Rugger is worth?

everdave: Hopefully this illustrates the idea that low mileage = $$$$ isn't always true. Rugger has under 15,000 miles on it, is a 4x4 body-on-frame turbo diesel compact SUV with a manual transmission and AC, with a perfect interior and extremely good exterior and no rust at all, yet the results speak for themselves.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KakerMix posted:

They are too business-focused and too big now.

I was really turned off by one of the founders on Matt Farah's podcast. I think money was always in the picture for him, which doesn't bode well for what that place started out as.
And now I'm wondering whether it'll be right venue to offload my ratty S65.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes worried but I did what I did. We will see

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

And now I'm wondering whether it'll be right venue to offload my ratty S65.

Do like our fearless moderator did and trade the Merc in for a new Honda Civic

2j Felatio
Sep 7, 2018
Does anyone know the GVWR for the Delica’s? If the gross vehicle weight rating is over 8,500 lbs and diesel powered it can be exempt from emissions testing in Oregon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2j Felatio posted:

Does anyone know the GVWR for the Delica’s? If the gross vehicle weight rating is over 8,500 lbs and diesel powered it can be exempt from emissions testing in Oregon.

There’s no chance in hell of this

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I bet it weighs half that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

2j Felatio posted:

2115 kg, so 4663 lbs.

2j Felatio
Sep 7, 2018
Well the gross vehicle weight rating includes passengers and cargo so it would be more than the curb weight. Granted, if the curb weight is 4,663 I doubt it has a payload of 4,000 lbs. Thanks for the insight. Has anyone emissions tested their diesel import? Are they even close to your local DEQ standards?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

2j Felatio posted:

Well the gross vehicle weight rating includes passengers and cargo so it would be more than the curb weight. Granted, if the curb weight is 4,663 I doubt it has a payload of 4,000 lbs. Thanks for the insight. Has anyone emissions tested their diesel import? Are they even close to your local DEQ standards?

I read that number off the Export Certificate directly from Japan, not a number I made up. Curb weight reads as 1730 kg, 3814 lbs.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Title was shipped out to me yesterday, az-1 arrive friday. tiny car dreams the rest of the week.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I read that number off the Export Certificate directly from Japan, not a number I made up. Curb weight reads as 1730 kg, 3814 lbs.

I don't think he's arguing with you, just noting that curb and gross weight rating are two different numbers (gross being basically, the axles can be loaded to this total weight, curb weight plus all passengers and cargo), but, still unlikely to be high enough to be classified as a commercial vehicle in California.

GVWR is a BS number in many vehicles, to meet or beat a classification. My work truck is stickered by the up-fitter at 25999 to avoid CDL requirements, my trailer is stickered at 9900 (despite double 5200 lb axles) to avoid commercial status.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I don't think he's arguing with you, just noting that curb and gross weight rating are two different numbers

If he thought KakerMix were answering with GVWR, the rest of his thinking wouldn't be necessary, since 4663 < 8500.

I honestly am surprised a Delica is 3800 lbs. Feels much slower in my head now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The Delica is actually fairly light considering it's a big 4x4 turbo diesel van, but then again maybe my ideas of weight are way off. It feels plenty peppy with the 5 speed though, like the 2-door Pajero we had. The automatic is a goddamned dog though in the 4 door Pajero. I'm guessing the Pajero is heavier than the Delica being a body-on-frame vs. the Delica's unibody style which probably helps.

Also sold a Jimny today :toot:

A guy over in Daytona Beach drove a truck with a trailer over, looked at it for seemingly 2 minutes and just straight bought it, easiest deal so far. Paid cash, had insurance and a license plate already so it was exceedingly easy to do all the paperwork.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Finally saw that little Pajero on my drive home. Someone that works at a Coca-Cola bottling plant a couple blocks from my work drives it. He parks far away and backs into this spot all by itself. It was so cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2j Felatio
Sep 7, 2018

KakerMix posted:

They are correct, I wasn’t trying to argue the curb weight. I was trying to guess what the fully loaded weight would be based on the curb weight.

Congrats on the Jimny sale.

Have you driven a Samurai before? I am curious how similar they feel. I know the Jimny has a smaller engine and the body is smaller since it is a Kei. But they are based off a similar platform.