Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
C: :getin:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
C

I enjoy a good NBA Jam reference.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So which one of ya crapshits fine folk has tha crapspackle opsec? Found this in tha datafeed this morning:

MONStap posted:

ORI:\\CHOIRMASTER/011.08.12.05.5016
DEST:\\GALSIM SECURITY/021.05.12.05.5016
HEAD: Security Breach 091
TEXT: propable breach in GALSIM/FORECAST physical architecture discovered. Intruder is using early-Antropocene comnet interlink technology [hypertext] to disseminate possible CHOIR data. Have tracked activity to a node running a data fragment from CHEYENNE VAULT [https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/], but the archaic nature of the data fragment structure makes tracking the breach further impossible. Strong recommend to send a sanitation team to UOB terminate the fragment's omninode understructure. OUT
CHECKSUM 89590hf35susbt65429061

I'm gonna hafta spend some cycles sanitizing tha tap and making sure I don't have ghosts in tha feed, so itll be a few cycles until tha next update.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

I'm gonna hafta spend some cycles sanitizing tha tap and making sure I don't have ghosts in tha feed, so itll be a few cycles until tha next update.

:wave: take care, thanks for letting us know! Don't burn out!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Splitting up in the face of all the poo poo that’s infesting the tower is not the best plan, and heroic last stands...

...well they’re for people that aren’t getting a payday at the end of this.

(Amanirenas Bolster: 10, Success)
(Baby Agility: 19, Success)

With Okafor’s assistance you’re able to get Baby moving at a decent speed while getting her systems stabilized. You fall a bit behind Un, although its hard to tell as her mech’s optical camo keeps her off visuals. More importantly, you’re maintaining you lead on the assault squads. Occasionally subaltern teams or utility bots lurch at you from hidden nooks, but in small numbers they’re easy pickings for your shotgun, Un’s knives, and Okafor’s myriad explosives.

You’re nearly to the access point when you get a warning ping from Un, and her mech materializes on the corner. Her feed streams to you, showing the large atrium-like area at the convergence of several large corridors. On the other side from you is a person-sized security door with ‘SECURITY SUBSTATION - AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY’ emblazoned on the wall above it. Your destination is in sight, only the atrium isn’t empty:

Heavy-duty construction bots and a few squads of combat subalterns. Not exactly pushovers, and every moment you waste on them brings the assault squads closer. A slightly unhinged giggle comes over Un’s feed.

”And ya bestgurl thought this part would be boring.” The two armatures that hold her railgun stow it and activate a massive charged blade. ”Ya gurl’s ya’s distractor, get bizy with tha metalgurl!”

She boosts into the atrium, fading from sight as the camo kicks in only to reappear briefly as she hacks a subaltern in two. Speakers on the invisible mech blast loud music, adding to the confusion.

She’s got the bots on their back foot, but its not going to last with these numbers. You ping Okafor. ”Toss me Bo’s casket and help the new girl. I’ll get her plugged in while you two hold down the fort.”

Amanirenas’ tacfeed posted:

BOUDICA, Pilot

Okafor arches an eyebrow at you. ”She’s already plugged into my systems, I just need to get in and activate the remote link. You’re in the overwatch chassis, you attending to NIMROD’s defense makes more sense.”

A: Ah, That Does Make Sense!
Agree with Okafor and have her handle getting BOUDICA plugged in
B: Actually, Baby is a Force Multiplier
Your mech can fight on its own while you deal with Bo, so all three mechs will be in the fight

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A She's already got the tunes sorted, start up the brainmelting lightshow and let's party with the gurl herself.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B, having the mech automatically throw out basilisk hacks or whatever while we dismount to plug in yields maximum shootybangs, which as we all know is the most important metric to optimize for.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crazycryodude posted:

B, having the mech automatically throw out basilisk hacks or whatever while we dismount to plug in yields maximum shootybangs, which as we all know is the most important metric to optimize for.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What Okafor's saying makes sense here, and while Baby is set up for remote operations she isn't yet at the point where she'll be as good operating on her own as she would with us at the stick (for all the Horus weirdness now running through our systems, we still don't have a full-fledged AI riding shotgun). So let's give Bo over to Okafor and provide Alice with as much backup as we can.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: B: Actually, Baby is a Force Multiplier

Okafor's got the heavy ordnance, no?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A Okafor is better set up to operate independently right now. We need to know when to trust others to get the job done.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You look from the approaching dots on the tacfeed to Okafor’s determined face on her screen. Then you chuckle to yourself, realizing you’re in L-T’s shoes.

Transcript, Flying Monkeys Squad 1 pilotfeed posted:

ELLTEE://Back in formation greenie, artie is spooling up for DC support!
RIVER://I’ve got a line on the sniper Boss, I’ll get them while you grab Forknutz.
ten minutes later
ELLTEE://And what did we learn greenie?
RIVER://*coughs*Danger Close is Too Close, Boss!
ELLTEE://Damned straight. Make sure Forknutz buys you that beer, River.
Best to let the hotshot test their wings while someone was watching. You give her a thumbs-up and #2 Smile. ”Get to it then Clutch. Just sing if you need a dance partner.”

She nods, suppressing a grin. You see the Fuel Injector fire up at the same time a string of outraged gibberish blasts across Un’s feed. Baby and Amanirenas clunk manipulators together, then the two of you are off.

(Crusher-bot System vs Basilisk: 8, Failure[Stunned])
(HAWTSNYPAUWU Grit vs Crusher-bot: 18, Success)
(Weld-bot Attack vs. HAWTSNYPAUWU: 15, Success[Impaired])
(Amanirenas vs Combat Subalterns1: 11, Success[Destroyed])
(Amanirenas Systems: 15, Success[1])
(Baby Grit vs Crusher-bot: 8, Success[Destroyed])
(Combat Subalterns2 Attack vs HAWTSNYPAUWU: 8, Failure)

Baby’s Basilisk is able to disable the melee bot before it can locate Un’s invisible mech, though the emitter shutters as the core power runs out. Un removes one of the helpless bot’s armatures with her blade, but this gives the laser-welding bot time to score a deep hit against her armor.

Okafor decimates the combat subalterns with a RPG round before slamming through the security wall and setting her manipulators to work.

Naval HQ Tactical Feed posted:

//NAVAL NHP CODES….ACCEPTED
//LEGIONSPACE BUILDING...BUILDING...ACTIVE
//SUBSIDIARY INSTANCES SPINNING UP...READY
You finish off the melee bot with a shotgun to the processing core. Taking up position on Un’s flank, the remaining subaltern’s attacks against her are sent astray by Baby’s odd angles and HAWTSNYPAUWU’s intermittent shimmers.

(HAWTSNYPAUWU Grit vs Weld-bot: 11, Success)
(Weld-bot Attack vs. Baby: 17, Success)
(Amanirenas Systems: 11, Success[2])
(Combat Subalterns2 Attack vs HAWTSNYPAUWU: Odd, Failure)
(Baby Grit vs Weld-bot: 20, Success[Destroyed])

Un’s mech fades from view again, and sparks erupt from the laser bot’s now-damaged casing. Unable to lock onto its attacker, it retaliates against you, slicing into Baby’s damaged armor.

Naval HQ Tactical Feed posted:

//INTERNAL SECURITY...ACTIVATED
//STATION SECURITY...ACTIVATED
//INTRUSION COUNTERMEASURES...AWAITING ACTIVATION
The remaining subalterns fire and miss Un’s after-shimmer, and you core the laser bot with your thermal rifle. You’re lining up your shotgun on the subalterns when the whine of every single speaker in the area activating at the same time distracts you.

”Greetings, We are BOUDICA. Residents of Amarkantak Station, we apologize for the failure to stop the intrusion. Pursuant to Article 5 Section 27 stroke 0 of Union Administrative Code, we are assuming direct control of station security. Please remain sheltered in place until you are notified it is safe to leave.”

Bo pauses, and there’s an odd sound from the speakers. Almost like the faint grinding of teeth.

”To the intruders : get the gently caress off of our station!”

Its rather academic at that point. With the weight of the security subalterns, weapons emplacements, and defensive infoworms behind you, retaking the Naval HQ and the station at large is a matter of mopping up remnants. You are all safe again, but an adversary infiltrating one of Union’s bastions of galactic control is definitely going to have repercussions.

Hopefully very lucrative ones…

Vote 1: Downtime
What will we get up to while waiting for the next mission?
A: Get A Damned Drink!
There’s definitely a bar somewhere on this station. Plus Okafor needs to be introduced to the traditional post-mission bar brawl
B: Placate Union Administration
While MSMC Legal Division has your back, you *did* double-cross UAD on a deal and then blow up large chunks of a naval station. Playing nice couldn’t hurt.
C: Examine the Captive PERSISTENCE subjectivity
Try and see what exactly L'Étranger did to the corrupted NHPs so you can work up counter-measures or extract actionable intelligence.

Vote 2: Vignette
Pick which other scene I’ll pull from tha feed
D: Paracausal Theotechnics
with Hediye Okafor and Alice Un
E: Dinner With Bibi
with Binti and Maya Okafor
F: The Importance of Being Apologetic
with Akram bin Adil Safar and Yonas Desta
G: Wellness Check
with BOUDICA and her case worker
5hodfh84FLOQQ0579u8fiohgfrhoviႹ: ႫႮႺϏ ЏФЦ, ДᏞᏞ Ꭴᖴ ᎢᎻΣΜ5kfoperge90u890tioerv

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AG

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PoultryGeist posted:

B: Placate Union Administration
While MSMC Legal Division has your back, you *did* double-cross UAD on a deal and then blow up large chunks of a naval station. Playing nice couldn’t hurt.

Hahahahaha no.

Gonna go with A and D.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A
G

As much as I'd love to go (attempt to) get hosed up with Okafor, god I really want to poke around inside a paracausally corrupted NHP. It can't be more dangerous than trying to get drunk with an 8 foot tall Amazon who's literally never had a real drink before and likes fighting.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 22, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C
DEF

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C
5hodfh84FLOQQ0579u8fiohgfrhoviႹ

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Actually, you know what, we're just carrying the PERSISTENCE core around with us right? How big is it? Can we just like wrap it in space tinfoil and stash it in the hidden compartment Baby undoubtedly has for keeping all our other contraband in? If we can be sure the core isn't about to be seized from us by Union cops and never seen again, I'm fine with coming back to it later and getting blasted now. We can gently caress around with the nerd poo poo whenever, and in fact probably should wait until we have some proper facilities. We can only ride the post-combat high with Okafor now, though, and that seems like an endearing character moment.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

Actually, you know what, we're just carrying the PERSISTENCE core around with us right? How big is it? Can we just like wrap it in space tinfoil and stash it in the hidden compartment Baby undoubtedly has for keeping all our other contraband in? If we can be sure the core isn't about to be seized from us by Union cops and never seen again, I'm fine with coming back to it later and getting blasted now. We can gently caress around with the nerd poo poo whenever, and in fact probably should wait until we have some proper facilities. We can only ride the post-combat high with Okafor now, though, and that seems like an endearing character moment.

A NHP casket is definitely portable. They don't give absolute sizes in the book, but I'm going to say that without the extra bits (ports/couplings/handles) a casket is the size of a human brain. Just in a more cylindrical shape. We can totally store it for later use, there's just the risk of losing it due to shenanigans or never finding the time

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright I'll switch to A for now, willing to take that risk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
C
SHODAN

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AG

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PoultryGeist posted:

A NHP casket is definitely portable. They don't give absolute sizes in the book, but I'm going to say that without the extra bits (ports/couplings/handles) a casket is the size of a human brain. Just in a more cylindrical shape. We can totally store it for later use, there's just the risk of losing it due to shenanigans or never finding the time

Also for the love of god do not loving plug it into anything networked. Honestly even just having this thing is like having a jar of super-anthrax.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

C
DႹ

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
CE Our opposition's operational tempo has proven to be a tad unpredictable. I don't think we have the luxury of time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kai Tave posted:

Also for the love of god do not loving plug it into anything networked. Honestly even just having this thing is like having a jar of super-anthrax.

There's a nonzero chance that this thing doesn't actually need to be networked to gently caress with us.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote 1: I propose we do all 3.

Give Union Administration the Captive PERSISTENCE subjectivity and let them figure out if there is anything meaningful in that core; hopefully they’ll see this as a peace offering and ‘mellow-out’.

This frees us up to go drinking with Okafor

Vote 2: F: The Importance of Being Apologetic

I have no idea what this is, therefore, it must be good?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CourValant posted:

Vote 1: I propose we do all 3.

Give Union Administration the Captive PERSISTENCE subjectivity and let them figure out if there is anything meaningful in that core; hopefully they’ll see this as a peace offering and ‘mellow-out’.

This frees us up to go drinking with Okafor

I'll allow it. The above is now Option CourValant, and is mechanically still a Get A Damned Drink! action.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

I'll allow it. The above is now Option CourValant, and is mechanically still a Get A Damned Drink! action.

:toot: :respek:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
CourValent's option might honestly be for the best. While we could possibly learn all sorts of interesting things from this subjectivity fragment A). that sounds suspiciously like responsibility and B). if something goes wrong we'll probably be the one who gets in a shitload of trouble. Let it be someone else's problem, then get that drat drink.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

CourValent's option might honestly be for the best. While we could possibly learn all sorts of interesting things from this subjectivity fragment A). that sounds suspiciously like responsibility and B). if something goes wrong we'll probably be the one who gets in a shitload of trouble. Let it be someone else's problem, then get that drat drink.

Does increase the chances of us being interrupted mid-drink by screams and horror-movie FX.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

Does increase the chances of us being interrupted mid-drink by screams and horror-movie FX.

But when it happens we get to say "not my fault."

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Kai Tave posted:

But when it happens we get to say "not my fault."

Of course its not our fault, we weren't ever there. :tinfoil:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Since when has something not being someone's fault ever stopped them from getting blamed for it?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Ok, it looks like we have a tie between

D: Paracausal Theotechnics

and

G: Wellness Check

and...

¿¿¿H: All of Them???
(Dammit, I *just* rotated my credentials you jackhummer. Whoever you are)

*sigh* So if we can get a tie-breaker I'll get to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Tie Breaker: D: Paracausal Theotechnics

Did I do that right?