Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Xenophile is only interesting depending on the other civs in the game. If they're all xenophile or neutral, it's a big happy hug party, which is boring. If they're all xenophobic/genocidal, your love goes unrequited (and you probably die). Xenophobe/Genocidal gameplay is far more consistent. The flip side is that it also feels kinda samey between games.

That's not to say Xenophile can't be fun. Trying to forge a working Federation out of a bunch of races that hate each other is good stuff...or it would be, if Federations weren't such worthless piles of poo poo. But the thought is what counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Federations are actually quite powerful now that you can guarantee you'll be president for life and get a free 500cap fleet.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Now I want a "Dawn Hunter"-version of the exterminators where it's just creepy binary screeching at you if you open the diplomacy screen. :v:

Would you explain this reference? I can imagine it, but it would be interesting to see the source and how it was executed.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
That jerkop AsaTJ gave Stellaris Console a score exactly one point one points higher than the original PC release on IGN. Cruel and unusual!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like both I just don't get the hangup on playing the bad guy. Sometimes playing the bad guy is fun.

My human run is basically "I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em' all".

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
New player here. I haven't gotten into any proper fights yet, just mopping aside mining drones and pirates, but I'd like to maintain a strong deterrent against the ornery hegemonic imperialists I share borders with.

Is there a good strategy or rule of thumb for fleet composition? I am trying to follow a logical structure with each new ship I research. For example, when I discovered cruisers, I split 10 corvettes off from a fleet of 10 destroyers and 30 corvettes to form a fleet of 5 cruisers, 10 destroyers, and 20 corvettes.

I know that corvettes are good for patrolling against piracy, but is it worth it to have a corvettes-only rapid response force, or will it never be strong enough to matter? Are certain classes of ships, like destroyers, worthless or ineffective as I've read?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
From what i've been told, mono-fleets are basically the best, cruisers suck. However, because I enjoy fleet battles looking more than a big swirl, typically you use corvettes and expect some of those to die while your big ships (destroyers, derelicts, etc) fire into the swarm. Later on your get bigger ships that ignore the swarm and fire at the other big ship.

With the composition you've got, you'd want to set the corvettes to swarm, the cruisers to act more like "picket ships" (they catch things trying to get to your big ships") and then your destroyers just firing at everything they can reach.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

At this point, it doesn't feel to me as if there's a "bad" ship class, whereas before the corvette nerf if you weren't just fielding vast fleets of corvettes you were doing it wrong.

I always have a corvette fast-response fleet about, because you can use afterburners and an appropriate admiral to make a really zippy first response fleet. They may not actually stop the thing they're sent against, but they can delay it long enough for the cruiser fleet to move in.

However, once I get cruisers I don't have corvettes in with them, I tend to have a cruiser/destroyer fleet and a corvette fleet (sometimes I stick afterburner destroyers in the corvette fleet). With battleships, I'll then have 1 or 2 battleship/cruiser/destroyer fleets, 1-2 corvette fleets, and the rest battleship/cruiser. When titans are added, I usually wait until I get +fleet cap and then start tagging titans onto the battleship/cruiser fleets.

I do use the ship AI choice (artillery, line, picket, etc.) slightly different from intended, depending on what fleet they're in or what other bonuses they've got. At end-game, my corvettes usually lose the afterburners and change to picket computer since they're maxed on evasion and pretty fast. I like using destroyers for point defense in my battleship groups, so although they're loaded with point defense they've got artillery computers so they go hang with the battleships instead of running forward.

Mid game cruisers are my definite main damage dealers. End game it's a split between cruisers and battleships because of how huge blob fights trade so much artillery damage prior to front line/medium weapon engagement range.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DasNeonLicht posted:

New player here. I haven't gotten into any proper fights yet, just mopping aside mining drones and pirates, but I'd like to maintain a strong deterrent against the ornery hegemonic imperialists I share borders with.

Is there a good strategy or rule of thumb for fleet composition? I am trying to follow a logical structure with each new ship I research. For example, when I discovered cruisers, I split 10 corvettes off from a fleet of 10 destroyers and 30 corvettes to form a fleet of 5 cruisers, 10 destroyers, and 20 corvettes.

I know that corvettes are good for patrolling against piracy, but is it worth it to have a corvettes-only rapid response force, or will it never be strong enough to matter? Are certain classes of ships, like destroyers, worthless or ineffective as I've read?
There was a big shake up in 2.2 so any advice from pre-december is worthless. Corvettes die a lot more now with Destroyers being the new hit and run hull. Strike craft got a boost in 2.2.4 or 2.2.5 I forget which.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Civ6, and 5 to a lesser extent, just makes me so angry. Even the Xcoms, although I love them. I tried talking to some Firaxis devs at gamescon one year but they basically just said "well, you guys have bugs too" and escaped.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vengarr posted:

Xenophile is only interesting depending on the other civs in the game. If they're all xenophile or neutral, it's a big happy hug party, which is boring. If they're all xenophobic/genocidal, your love goes unrequited (and you probably die). Xenophobe/Genocidal gameplay is far more consistent. The flip side is that it also feels kinda samey between games.

That's not to say Xenophile can't be fun. Trying to forge a working Federation out of a bunch of races that hate each other is good stuff...or it would be, if Federations weren't such worthless piles of poo poo. But the thought is what counts.

Xenophile Megacorps are the best. Bribe everyone with research and money until they love you.

I've managed to build a federation that contains five or six different ethos and controls the entire northwest third of the galaxy.

The east third is a single devouring swarm. Everyone else is stuck in the middle.

I just got access to my first wormhole into swarm territory. I smell a war comin'.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Darkrenown posted:

Civ6, and 5 to a lesser extent, just makes me so angry. Even the Xcoms, although I love them. I tried talking to some Firaxis devs at gamescon one year but they basically just said "well, you guys have bugs too" and escaped.

All signs indicate they have a very healthy development culture. I see nothing but great things when their go-to is "shift blame and don't communicate".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vengarr posted:

If they're all xenophobic/genocidal, your love goes unrequited (and you probably die).

Impose ideology is the best CB.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 22, 2019

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

hobbesmaster posted:

[quote="Vengarr" post="492797749"] If they're all xenophobic/genocidal, your love goes unrequited (and you probably die)./quote]

Impose ideology is the best CB.

The Care Bear Stare can be surprisingly effective when paired with the Care Bear Mega Cannon.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I don’t know if this is a new issue or not, but I went with a synthetic ascension and made friends with the machine empire exterminators. We have research deals going but now they seem to randomly insult me despite having something like a +120 opinion.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gyrotica posted:

The Care Bear Stare can be surprisingly effective when paired with the Care Bear Mega Cannon.

If I ever build another god laser I'll name it this.

People get so mad when you screw with their populations though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

Would you explain this reference? I can imagine it, but it would be interesting to see the source and how it was executed.

There's this website called "Orion Arm" or something, which is like a cooperative effort to tell the future history of the galaxy. The "Dawn Hunters" are a mythical force thought to be the reason for several alien species' extinction. One of the theories behind them is that they're one of the multiple self-replicating machine swarms that have been released over the course of galactic history for many reasons.

A self-replicating machine swarm like that, just wandering around and killing things would be a better analogy to the Devouring Swarm then the boring SkyNet-exterminators we have.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I don’t know if this is a new issue or not, but I went with a synthetic ascension and made friends with the machine empire exterminators. We have research deals going but now they seem to randomly insult me despite having something like a +120 opinion.

They're just buggy because you're still kinda organics but not.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

DasNeonLicht posted:

Is there a good strategy or rule of thumb for fleet composition?

What I generally do, once I get to Cruisers, is to have a couple main anti-fleet armada deathballs. These consist of "light" (broadside/torp sections) and "heavy" (artillery sections) cruisers, with some "light" destroyers (picket ships). The idea is the heavy cruisers blast other capitals, the light cruisers focus on enemy destroyers/corvettes, and the destroyers screen missiles and mop up smaller ships. As the game advances, I usually swap the heavy cruisers for kinetic artillery/neutron launcher battleships.

Then I have a few raider flotillas of maybe 10-15 corvettes (picket & missiles/torps) with a handful of "heavy" destroyers (with a Large weapon). All these designs have afterburners. The idea behind these flotillas is to zip around and clean up all the odd un-upgraded stations or stop the trickle of reinforcement fleets. They can also keep enemy planets in bombardment status, although they don't do a heck of a lot of damage.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
I just had an issue with the Tzynn Star Empire where I'd build a slave processing facility on a colony which would then disappear within a month. This happened on multiple colonies, all of which were growing in population. Anyone else have anything like this occur in their games?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

E. Nesbit posted:

I just had an issue with the Tzynn Star Empire where I'd build a slave processing facility on a colony which would then disappear within a month. This happened on multiple colonies, all of which were growing in population. Anyone else have anything like this occur in their games?

There was a bug like this with the Ministry of Culture where it was set as a unique building for the empire, so you'd built multiples and they disappear. Not sure if that's been fixed yet, but this sounds similar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Driven Tsunderes

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

The thing with Firaxis that always gets me is the insane cost of the DLCs. I don't mind paying like £20 or so but when it's getting up beyond the cost of most brand new games it's really just too much.

IPlayVideoGames posted:

In my current game I've got a federation to my east who're really good friends with me.
One of them suddenly declared me a rival so I couldn't join, even though I'm an associate with +150 relations with both members. Absolutely bizzare.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

In my current game I've got a federation to my east who're really good friends with me.
One of them suddenly declared me a rival so I couldn't join, even though I'm an associate with +150 relations with both members. Absolutely bizzare.
I had a robot or hivemeind game I forget which where the niceguy humans rivalled me from the beginning, but I built up so much positive opinion with them from various sources that I ended up with a positive opinion modifier, and they started coseying up to me and throwing nice words at me but wouldn't loving unrival me.

I ended up destroying them and their federation because I had a quest chain ender in their territory for important political reasons.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DasNeonLicht posted:

I just go 8 corvettes:4 destroyers:2 cruisers:1 battleship (so when command limit is 120, I'd have 40 corvettes, 20 destroyers, 10 cruisers, 5 battleships) but that's because my brain is broken. It really doesn't seem to matter.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Corvettes-only can be powerful but they tend to die a lot just because they have smaller shields and hulls. You tend to end up replacing a lot of corvettes.

dogstile posted:

From what i've been told, mono-fleets are basically the best, cruisers suck.

Cruisers actually make a good mono-fleet. They have enough hull and shields they usually don't die instantly but are small enough that you can build a lot without having to save up for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

I tend to think of even devouring swarms as people. Weird, hostile people, but still people. Everyone in my empires is always sad when we have to scour them from the universe and slave-shielding their last world.

Man, now I wish Paradox would finally fix this weird slow-down in 2.2.5, so I could get back to playing. :(

I think I'm going to restart my current game with this as my objective. Authoritarian xenophobes that don't believe in exterminating aliens. Just that aliens don't have the right to expand across the galaxy. Shield ALL the homeworlds.

...which would have been a fun secret objective for the multiplayer game.

ulmont posted:

I just go 8 corvettes:4 destroyers:2 cruisers:1 battleship (so when command limit is 120, I'd have 40 corvettes, 20 destroyers, 10 cruisers, 5 battleships) but that's because my brain is broken. It really doesn't seem to matter.

Corvettes-only can be powerful but they tend to die a lot just because they have smaller shields and hulls. You tend to end up replacing a lot of corvettes.

Cruisers actually make a good mono-fleet. They have enough hull and shields they usually don't die instantly but are small enough that you can build a lot without having to save up for it.

I've done Corvette-only as a rapid response/swarm wall fleet. I named them the "Mongol-class" and the fleet was known as the Mongol Horde. It seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping my heavier hulls alive by going in first, and when it wasn't doing that, I ran it around kicking over space stations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Warmachine posted:

I've done Corvette-only as a rapid response/swarm wall fleet. I named them the "Mongol-class" and the fleet was known as the Mongol Horde. It seemed to do a pretty good job of keeping my heavier hulls alive by going in first, and when it wasn't doing that, I ran it around kicking over space stations.
I love doing this. I always make sure I have at least 10 (but usually 20) Point Defense to shoot down the missiles that the un-upgraded space stations shoot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I usually have corvettes and destroyers with picket sections to act as screens, and cruisers with missiles and battleships with artillery or hangars.

Question: why is all missile defense active rather than passive? Why no ECM modules to gently caress up their guidance?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

DasNeonLicht posted:

Splicer posted:

There was a big shake up in 2.2 so any advice from pre-december is worthless. Corvettes die a lot more now with Destroyers being the new hit and run hull. Strike craft got a boost in 2.2.4 or 2.2.5 I forget which.

This is pretty important, because most advice you can dig up is pretty out of date. Also, it needs to be stressed that even during the time when those advices were correct, they weren't the gospel truth. Like massed corvettes was top tier, but you could still do fleets spread out based on fleet cap size (like 8 corvettes : 4 destroyers : 2 cruisers : 1 battleship multiplied up to fleet cap). So don't feel like you're screwing yourself with "bad" fleet setups.

Destroyers have the best disengagement chance, so if you're doing a long attrition type war they really cut down on losses. If you're dealing with piracy, corvettes have the best rate per naval cap.

When you finish the supremacy tree, you unlock a new policy (f6) that lets you select a variety of bonus. Don't use "no retreat" unless you really know what you're doing, but any of the others can be really useful.

Depending on what the lanes are like I'll have a rapid response fleet. You can get a tech that makes fleets unable to bypass upgraded starbases so you can control space. Sometimes you'll have trouble catching an enemy fleet because your battleships/cruisers are too slow, lack that tech, or similar reasons, and a rapid response fleet can tie them up in a fight until your main fleet gets there. They're also good at grabbing a lot of systems quickly, while your main attacking fleet is moving on upgraded starbases or enemy fleets.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
If I just field a fleet of entirely Neutron Launcher/Arc Lightning/Kinetic Artillery Battleships... is that viable? Or would my alloys be better spent on different types of ships?

(My -- perhaps misunderstanding -- is that the monofleet is king)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, the real king is fleet power.

Your launcher/lightning/kinetic layout has a couple issues, mainly that you're running 2 weapons that are by-pass and 1 that isn't. By-pass weapons have lower damage in exchange for skipping shields/armor, but if you're chewing through those defenses anyway (your kinetic artillery) then all you've really done is have lower damage output. So go all-in on bypass weaponry if you're using those, otherwise don't use any.

Your monofleet also has a giant weakness, which is any high evasion fleet. Launchers and kinetic have no tracking (ie they don't counter evasion) and lightning is also fairly low tracking (not sure if you mean cloud lightning[30] or arc emitters[0]). So a max evasion torpedo corvette fleet is probably going to crush your layout, based on a roughly equal amount of CP invested. Smaller fleets that you still beat will probably inflict more losses than they take in terms of CP/alloy.

The AI may or may not actually counter your setup, I'm unsure how much it is willing to do so. If you're playing that layout in MP someone who notices your setup is probably going to take you to the cleaners.

Even people that run all fleets of 1 hull size are often cheating the idea of a "monofleet", in that they'll run multiple designs of that size. So like all cruiser fleets will have some spread of types. Hell, even when I'm making corvette response fleets I have multiple types (a small amount of picket ships is really good for attacking stations). The only time you really get into the territory where a mono-fleet is good is when you're facing an end-game crisis and are countering them exactly.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I’m going to pick up this game this weekend. I assume the DLC is worth it?

Also: could someone recommend me some map/player settings that could lead to an enjoyable first big experience? Thanks

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tenacious J posted:

Also: could someone recommend me some map/player settings that could lead to an enjoyable first big experience? Thanks

Some DLC is more worth it than others. Utopia is generally considered the most "must-have" DLC, and Apocalypse is also usually up there if you like being a warmonger. Distant Stars is good to get once you get to the point where you know all the events and anomalies in the base game but can be delayed until then. MegaCorp is the newest DLC and unless you really want to play as a MegaCorp it's probably skippable or at least delayable until it goes on sale. There's one whose name I forget which mostly just unlocks Machine Intelligence gestalts as a playable option which you can totally skip if you don't care about playing as robots from the start of the game (Utopia will let you transform your whole species into robots during the game). And the Plantoid Species Pack and Humanoid Species Pack are just extra portraits and ship graphics, no mechanical changes at all.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

The only DLC that I view as really required is Utopia, but give them all a look-see and if one enables something you like consider it. None of them are really duds, though some of them are a bit narrow in what they add so if that doesn't interest you it isn't a big add. The non-latest tend to go on sale somewhat frequently, and big system changes are included for everyone but sometimes small stuff is that dlc only. For example if you want to play as a machine empire right at the start you'll need the synthetic dawn dlc.

Medium map and most default settings should be fine, though I'd recommend upping the spawned empires to around 75% of the slider. Bumping up primitive civs to 1.5 or so should make you a lot more likely to run into them.

In terms of what kind of empire to play, there are quite a few types. When you have a main empire ethos picked out (for example, militarist or egalitarian, etc) we could give you better feedback on a minor ethos and civics.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

I mean, the real king is fleet power.

Your launcher/lightning/kinetic layout has a couple issues, mainly that you're running 2 weapons that are by-pass and 1 that isn't. By-pass weapons have lower damage in exchange for skipping shields/armor, but if you're chewing through those defenses anyway (your kinetic artillery) then all you've really done is have lower damage output. So go all-in on bypass weaponry if you're using those, otherwise don't use any.

Launchers (At least proton/neutron launchers) don't bypass, they have bonuses to armor and hull damage, so they pair nicely with kinetic artillery's shield bonus. The real issue with them is a long cooldown, so they make great alpha strikes but usually only if you've whittled their shields down.

You're probably confusing them with normal torps, which have 100% shield penetration.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Launchers (At least proton/neutron launchers) don't bypass, they have bonuses to armor and hull damage, so they pair nicely with kinetic artillery's shield bonus. The real issue with them is a long cooldown, so they make great alpha strikes but usually only if you've whittled their shields down.

You're probably confusing them with normal torps, which have 100% shield penetration.

Oh yea. Didn't they used to a few versions back or something? I could be just mentally brain farting it for sure.

Launchers make sort of a poor mono-fleet weapon because of the cooldown issue for sure, though as a sort of 2-fleet setup they work really well. Have a corvette swarmer fleet with autocannons/null void beams to strip shields engage before the torpedo strike fleet engages.

Still, launchers do have 0 tracking making them pretty terrible against an evasion based fleet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

Oh yea. Didn't they used to a few versions back or something? I could be just mentally brain farting it for sure.
Yup, proton launchers used to be a torpedo variant, now they're an energy weapon with flavour text that doesn't match the picture.

alcaras posted:

If I just field a fleet of entirely Neutron Launcher/Arc Lightning/Kinetic Artillery Battleships... is that viable? Or would my alloys be better spent on different types of ships?

(My -- perhaps misunderstanding -- is that the monofleet is king)
You need some medium and small slots full of Mass Drivers/Plasma Cannons/Auto-cannons to deal with little ships that get close.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Arc Emitters, yeah, not Arc Lightning. Sorry.

So NL/AE/KA BS paired with some Mass Driver/Plasma Cannon/Autocannon Destroyers? Or corvettes?

I'm somewhat trying to build a "decent first option" fleet for MP, with the understanding I will need to optimize it based on what I see human opponents field.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
How do you get intelligence about what kind of armaments and fleet composition your adversaries favor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Get one of their fleets in sensor range, then click on the fleet, then click the little magnifying glass icon next to one of their ships.