Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I can’t remember whether I’ve asked this already but what are the current go-to Meguiar products for two-stage polishing a black car prior to wax/sealant? Has the usual black car fine cobwebbing scratches from washing, as well as some other worse-but-still superficial marks. Will be applied with a DA buffer.

Planning to start with a fallout removal and synthetic claying.

Also what’s a good product for rubber trim rejuvenation? Preferably something which doesn’t end up looking oily.

Fake edit: also, has anyone used that Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax yet? What’s it like? It seems so crazy to me that the second application is just “spray it on a wet panel and hose it off”. How does that cover the whole panel if the spray is only landing on parts of it? :psyduck:

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Also what’s a good product for rubber trim rejuvenation? Preferably something which doesn’t end up looking oily.

Chem guys V.R.P.
Nice and dark, smooth but not oily. Lasts a couple weeks on really bad plastic.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I really like Aquapel and I can go over a year between applications here in Florida. As a bonus I've had a single application on our glass shower door for over two and it still works great.

To add on to this, I've been going on one application of Aquapel for about 2 years now. I cleaned my glass with Duragloss Nu Glass before application.

I was only expecting about 6 months out of it and I have no clue how the hell it's been going this long.

I used Wolf's Glass Guard before and still have a bunch left. No real complaints about it, but overall the application of Aquapel is probably easier, and Wolf's has no retailers in the USA anymore, I think.

Edit: Here's my last post about Aquapel, and it's the same application I'm still on.

Scott808 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 20, 2019

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

toplitzin posted:

Chem guys V.R.P.
Nice and dark, smooth but not oily. Lasts a couple weeks on really bad plastic.

Thanks, not sure if I can get their stuff easily in Australia, but I’ll look into it.

The rubber isn’t terrible, the car is only 3 years old, but it’s looking a little less than new now so I want to rejuvenate it before it gets too dry.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Scott808 posted:

To add on to this, I've been going on one application of Aquapel for about 2 years now. I cleaned my glass with Duragloss Nu Glass before application.

I was only expecting about 6 months out of it and I have no clue how the hell it's been going this long.

I used Wolf's Glass Guard before and still have a bunch left. No real complaints about it, but overall the application of Aquapel is probably easier, and Wolf's has no retailers in the USA anymore, I think.

Edit: Here's my last post about Aquapel, and it's the same application I'm still on.

Maybe it's just the mobile app, but that link doesn't seem to go to your post, for me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Maybe it's just the mobile app, but that link doesn't seem to go to your post, for me.

It's a mobile thing.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I can’t remember whether I’ve asked this already but what are the current go-to Meguiar products for two-stage polishing a black car prior to wax/sealant? Has the usual black car fine cobwebbing scratches from washing, as well as some other worse-but-still superficial marks. Will be applied with a DA buffer.

Planning to start with a fallout removal and synthetic claying.

Fake edit: also, has anyone used that Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax yet? What’s it like? It seems so crazy to me that the second application is just “spray it on a wet panel and hose it off”. How does that cover the whole panel if the spray is only landing on parts of it? :psyduck:

I’m kind of in a similar boat in that I want to have another go at polishing my black BMW. The fist time I did it with Ultimate polish it didn’t seem to do much and there are lots of swirl marks etc.

Is there a good, not too in depth, guide around? I find detailing is such a rabbit hole with so many different products and techniques it’s all a bit overwhelming.

I have a cheap polisher and pads and would be happy to change out for better pads and polish if needed. Don’t really want to spring for a new polisher as I’m not in the US so recommend ones aren’t easy to find here.

Detail Depot NZ seem to be the best local supplier so it would be great if I could use stuff they have.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what did you use for your first try?

my guess is not using an aggressive enough pad at the start

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Scott808 posted:

After reading a little on windshield polishing, I think, after I refresh my suspension, I'm going to borrow my friend's DA, polish the windshield and apply some aquapel. However, looking on Amazon there are a ton of sellers and multipacks but they look suspiciously like counterfeit goods.

So, where did you buy yours? It looks like Autopia sells it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MetaJew posted:

After reading a little on windshield polishing, I think, after I refresh my suspension, I'm going to borrow my friend's DA, polish the windshield and apply some aquapel. However, looking on Amazon there are a ton of sellers and multipacks but they look suspiciously like counterfeit goods.

I bought the 3 pack on amazon from HVACR tool supply. I guess we'll find out if they are good or not.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

toplitzin posted:

I bought the 3 pack on amazon from HVACR tool supply. I guess we'll find out if they are good or not.

I'd like to know if yours works out and seems authentic. The price on Amazon for those packs seems good.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
They're waaay cheaper in bulk. I've been using the same box since like 2009. I'd imagine it would be tough to replicate the applicator with a counterfeit.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

MetaJew posted:

I bought from both Costco and Amazon. The Amazon ones just came in a plastic bag; I assume it's just the Professional Kit or similar bulk dealer pack that the seller is breaking up and repackaging.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I got the turtle wax (i think?) Black car detailing kit for my od 330ci and the results were shockingly good. I'll dig up some pics and post them later.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phone posted:

what did you use for your first try?

my guess is not using an aggressive enough pad at the start

I was using a cheap polishing pad with Meguiars Ultimate polish. After doing the compound it was noticeably good however you could see compounding marks, swirls etc.

I think maybe I was being a bit shy with it? I’m more likely to gently caress things up with compound than polish right? I found after doing a pass it was quite hard to wipe the remaining stuff off where as with the compound it was easy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ultimate Polish is mostly for very light scratches / finishing. I'd give the ultimate compound a go, it's a very safe to use beginner product.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
If it was really hard to remove/super dry, you might've been working too large an area at once too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ultimate Polish is mostly for very light scratches / finishing. I'd give the ultimate compound a go, it's a very safe to use beginner product.

Ultimate compound was the compound that I was using. I’ll try a smaller area with the polish and work it a bit longer.

Thanks for the advise guys

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was able to remove the infamous Hawk DTC dust from my wheels today with the help of the heavy duty Easy Off oven cleaner https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Off-Oven-Cleaner-Heavy-Aerosol/dp/B001SJB5TW

TIL that poo poo actually burns through your skin if it gets on you. I look like I have measles on my legs, arms, shoulders, and face

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dragons breath should do it!!
It gets a weeks worth of Nurburgring rs29 dust off my 88s which is hell

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My wife's car has a number of rips in the back leather seat due to using it for dog transportation duties. The car is older (2003) so I don't need it to be 100%, but I'd like to get it repaired. Is my best bet to just use some professional service? If it was really easy to do yourself I'd try it out, but if it's something like $100 to $200 to have a pro do it, I'd just use them. It's hard to find a used rear bench for this car on ebay (I did find one whole complete rear seat, but with shipping it was $300 plus they'd only ship to a business address).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chem Guys Gold Box today

https://www.amazon.com/apb/page/ref...QDY9YBGW7G452V1

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do I fix this? It doesn't come off with a regular wash:

The only trick is this is an Avery car wrap, it's not just regular paint. The wrap is only about a year old, and it looks like this across the entire car.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I can't help you but is that a clear wrap or color?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks kinda like the wrap is separating from the paint underneath in spots.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

The only trick is this is an Avery car wrap, it's not just regular paint. The wrap is only about a year old, and it looks like this across the entire car.

Take it back. They installed it wrong.

There is nothing you can do to fix that.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I can't help you but is that a clear wrap or color?

That's a bright yellow wrap.

Motronic posted:

Take it back. They installed it wrong.

There is nothing you can do to fix that.

So, those don't seem to be bubbles. They don't move when you poke them, and no amount of pressure will remove them. It's very hard to get in a photo, but it's almost like the car is covered in a thin film of dirt. If you're fairly aggressive cleaning it, you can get a majority of it to come off. I'm not entirely sure how that could be installer error.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

devicenull posted:

So, those don't seem to be bubbles. They don't move when you poke them, and no amount of pressure will remove them. It's very hard to get in a photo, but it's almost like the car is covered in a thin film of dirt. If you're fairly aggressive cleaning it, you can get a majority of it to come off. I'm not entirely sure how that could be installer error.

Try synthetic clay and see if that helps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

Oh, sorry. It looked like bubbles.

Have you talked to the installer and/or Avery? It's their product, they should know how to maintain it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looks a lot like water spots. Try mixing some white vinegar and water, spray on, let it sit ~ 30 seconds, wipe firmly off?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Looks a lot like water spots. Try mixing some white vinegar and water, spray on, let it sit ~ 30 seconds, wipe firmly off?

I have some Optimum MDR, which didn't seem to do much.

I dug up the manufactures care instructions, they seem to suggest this stuff:

quote:

On occasion environmental pollutants or dirt may cause water mark stains that do not remove using standard detergents and water. Seasonal air pollutants vary per geographical area and vinyl graphics can be exposed to air pollutants caused by industrial areas as well. It has been found that the Spartan Graffiti Remover SAC™ listed below works well to remove water spots caused by the air pollutants that mix with seasonal dew.

That seems somewhat plausible to me... so I guess I'll give that a shot.

meatpimp posted:

Try synthetic clay and see if that helps.

Does that help with water spots? I didn't think clay was very effective there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

devicenull posted:

Does that help with water spots? I didn't think clay was very effective there.

Water doesn't leave spots. Contaminants in water leaves spots. Clay removes contaminants on the surface.

I honestly don't know if it'll help, but if it does, it'd take minutes to clean it up, so for me it'd be worth the shot.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I would be very very careful with claying vinyl wraps. Have you tried using Iron X or another decontaminant? Is it left parked outside?

Is there a good place to look for used detailing equipment? Trying to find a used Rupes LHR21 MKII.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

I would be very very careful with claying vinyl wraps. Have you tried using Iron X or another decontaminant? Is it left parked outside?

Not yet... the manufacturer recommends a specific cleaner for air pollution. I have that on order, will give that a shot.

It's parked on the side of a highway at work, but it's mostly inside other then that.

What's the issue with claying wraps?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This was what the manufacturer suggested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGP5VTT/

It seems to work very well, it took all the crap off the film. I only did a small area, waiting to see if anything horrible happens before moving on

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there some special way to wash microfibre towels?

Also I have stated my Leatherique treatment of my seats. Felt very weird putting giant garbage bags over my seats.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Wash them separately, no fabric softeners or dryer sheets. Either tumble low or air dry.

I also use chemical guys microfiber wash product when I do a big load, and it's still only a cap full or two.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Depending on what you've got them dirty with, I like to wash mine in the sink with some regular rear end dawn, rinse em out, and then toss em in the washer/dryer. Gets all the grease and wax and poo poo out.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I use 303 on everything including vinyl "leather" seats. New car has real leather, what does the thread recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Lexol or Griots

E: Specifically I use this poo poo for general touch-and-go cleanup https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather-3in1-spray.do and for spending actual time cleaning the interior its https://www.lexol.com/product/leather-care/ph-balanced-leather-cleaner-0 then https://www.lexol.com/product/leather-care/leather-conditioner-1.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 4, 2019