Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

I was going to a Let's Play. Between two mystery Fanatical Key Packs and a couple 50/60 Steam Key Packs, I was going to see what kind of Steam Game can you get 200 of for about $30. I've typed up some sections, but not sure if since it's a text based reaction as I go through it (trust me, my face is goony enough I don't want to put it on the internet), if that would be just a random VG thread or a LP.
:justpost:
Nobody can judge if we can't see your idea in action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Also this thread is not for interest checks. It's the second rule in the OP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Does youtube like, delete old annotations? I used annotations as substitute subtitles for some old videos ("I'm doing a thing right now for such and such reason") and... they seem to be freaking gone for some reason.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They got rid of all annotations on every video last month.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirFozzie posted:

I was going to a Let's Play. Between two mystery Fanatical Key Packs and a couple 50/60 Steam Key Packs, I was going to see what kind of Steam Game can you get 200 of for about $30. I've typed up some sections, but not sure if since it's a text based reaction as I go through it (trust me, my face is goony enough I don't want to put it on the internet), if that would be just a random VG thread or a LP.

Huh? :confused:

What is even being proposed here? Also, you do know we generally frown on face cam LP stuff here, right?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Arist posted:

They got rid of all annotations on every video last month.

Yeap, IIRC they didn't drive enough clicks compared to end-of-video cards or whatever they're called so they wiped the entire feature from existence.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Also they couldn't figure out how to make them work on mobile. They will hardly be missed.
Sucks for the people that actually used them properly, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That explains a lot.

But why are annotations still a thing in the settings menu?

More to the point - is there a simple way to add subtitles to an existing video upload?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 23, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

That explains a lot.

But why are annotations still a thing in the settings menu?

More to the point - is there a simple way to add subtitles to an existing video upload?
I think you might be able to use the closed captioning feature?

e: Not the automatic closed captions, I mean manually caption the video.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
was bringing it up per

The Sandcastle is for hints, advice and quality checks, as well as chat. It's not a rule, but we advise new LPers to run prospective LPs past the Sandcastle before starting threads; you're bound to get some helpful feedback, even if it's just people telling you to .

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Have you considered clarifying your post? All I'm getting after reading it 5 times is that you want to see what Steam games are 15 cents and you don't want to put your face on screen.

You don't even give an example of the sections you say you've written up. But if they're as disjointed and incomprehensible as your post, maybe give them an editing pass?
Slap what you've got into the test poster and give us something to work with.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sure.. This was basically "Fozzie buys random poo poo and finds out what dreck he's just bought"

I'm bored. That's dangerous.

So. I've decided that I don't have enough dreck and garbage and despair around here, so I'm doing something I probably shouldn't

I just bought 160 Steam Games for a total of $12 off ebay.

So.. I'm just waiting for the keys to arrive, and when they do, I'm going to be tracking them here, and seeing how many of them

A) I already have
B) Are useless bits of fluff and nuts.
C) Actually decent video games

Any games I already have or don't want till go on my colossal list of offers.

Any suggestions on what the ratio to dreck to decent to gold I'll get?

Also, I started this with another purchase from Fanatical last night. While I'm waiting for today's keys, I will post what I got last night from a Fanatical 10 pack and a bundle.

and this was part of the first post:

Phase 1: Fanatical Colossus Bundle:

Tier 1

Chaos Reborn (Current Steam Price: $9.99) Turn-based wizard combat with the tactical positioning of chess and the bluff of poker. Features wizard customization, 100s of gear items, single player realm adventures, online leagues and co-op play.
ALL REVIEWS:
Mostly Positive (734)
RELEASE DATE:
Oct 26, 2015

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (Current Steam Price: $9.99)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky – standalone prequel for the acclaimed S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, which tells you story about the Clear Sky group, that want to research the Zone and understand it better.
RECENT REVIEWS:
Mostly Positive (111)
ALL REVIEWS:
Very Positive (4,834)
RELEASE DATE:
Sep 15, 2008

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Trilogy (Current Price on Steam) 19.99

ITEMS INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE

Sniper Art of Victory
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2: Digital Extras
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Map Pack
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Second Strike
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 takes the bulls-eye precision of its predecessor to new and exciting heights!
RECENT REVIEWS:
Mixed (127)
ALL REVIEWS:
Mostly Positive (6,183)
RELEASE DATE:
Mar 12, 2013

Basically, it was "What kind of drek is random games, and are there hidden gems out there. (Turns out the answer is when it comes to the 50/60 key sets, no. I did run into funny bits of drek, however, like the game with a "32% Approval Rating. Still in Early Access after 2.5 years, oh yeah, and 5,394 achievements.)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Anyway, probably a bad idea. Sorry to have bothered folks. :/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirFozzie posted:

Anyway, probably a bad idea. Sorry to have bothered folks. :/

You’re right, that did sound like a very poorly thought out idea and I’m glad you’ve reconsidered it, and I hope you can get your money back for all those games you clearly just impulse bought for seemingly no reason.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ignore nine gear crow, you should redeem and enjoy your garbage

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I mean, namtab is right. it could still be a glorious LP of bargain bin garbage and diamonds in the rough you've found. The Sandcastle just isn't the place for theoretical LPs--hell, we ask people not to post interest checks. I want to hazard that there's just been a misunderstanding as to why there's the suggestion to post in ghe Sandcastle. If you've already got some footage recorded or an SSLP test post prepared, this thread is a great resource for hammering out stylistic concerns (see the Tech Suppor Fort for technical issues). In which case, you've said you have some text based commentary of some of the games, so why not post the first update for feedback?

To elaborate on the "no facecams" thing, it's not that you're not allowed to do it, it's that the posting culture here is that people tend not to like it. So if you wan't people to watch the vids and not immediately close the window when they see the facecam--well, don't use a facecam. (Note: extremely well implemented and clever uses of facecam have found audiences here... I think it was Vicas who recorded themselves playing Super Mario 64 for their feet?).

In the end, you wont know if what you got is magic until to you show it to the world. Either people will read it or they won't. The Sandcastle is here to help, but if you're ready to go :justpost:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also, which game has over 5000 achievements???

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blind Sally posted:

also, which game has over 5000 achievements???

https://astats.astats.nl/astats/Steam_Games.php?DisplayType=All

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

:stare: If I'm understanding these titles correctly, there's an entire series of "games" that are about leaving it idle to get achievements?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:stare: If I'm understanding these titles correctly, there's an entire series of "games" that are about leaving it idle to get achievements?

Oh yes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I want to say that Logistical at least has gameplay and it's a cool puzzle game... with a billion million achievements.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, there was a whole spread of "Acheivement spam" games for people to artificially increase their steam level e-peen, Steam pretty much cracked down on them

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember the Game Grumps played some cheap game about shooting dinosaurs, and the achievement notifications went on for the entire episode, someone later explained the game creator will create personalized achievements for people to put on their profile, so by shooting one dinosaur you get 7500 achievements that people paid the creator to submit :psyduck:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, I'm looking for help finding an old LP. It was for a game where you play some office worker who died and went to Hell, which is structured like an office, and you need to escape somehow. Sadly I don't really remember how it played, might have been kind of adventurey? I think it had a kinda cartoony look.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for help finding an old LP. It was for a game where you play some office worker who died and went to Hell, which is structured like an office, and you need to escape somehow. Sadly I don't really remember how it played, might have been kind of adventurey? I think it had a kinda cartoony look.

Just to be sure, you're not thinking of Escape From Hell, are you? It's not a complete match, but kind of similar to what you're asking for.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Or maybe It's Always Monday? Supergreatfriend played it as part of his Free Shorties series.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No, I don't think it's either one of these, I could swear it looked like a sort of more modern freeware game. I almost wanna say like something that may have been done in RPGMaker, except the cartoony graphics I remember don't really fit that mold so well? Also I don't think it had combat, at least not jRPG-style. I wanna say it might have been made in Japan?

e: with my luck it'll end up having been one of those OP-created CYOA games

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I would have said "Harry, the Handsome Executive" as a suggestion, but that's not in the Master Archive. Huh.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

I would have said "Harry, the Handsome Executive" as a suggestion, but that's not in the Master Archive. Huh.

Pretty much none of Ambrosia Software's output has been LP'd, so far as I'm aware.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't really look like what I starting to think maybe I'm imagining rather than remembering. I'm thinking something more cartoony. With a perspective kinda like Don't Starve's, where it's sorta looking from above (not top-down of course) but the graphics are as if from the side.

I also seem to remember something about needing to get a pipe from somewhere either to give to a repair person or to do the repairs yourself.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Are you thinking of Grim Fandango?
Cant link as phone posting but there's at least one LP on the archive.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Could also be Stanley Parable.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of the only things I remember clearly was that it was a 2D game. Someone in the 'help find a game' thread said it sounded familiar, but as is I'll just give up on this. Thanks for trying to help everyone.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

One of the only things I remember clearly was that it was a 2D game. Someone in the 'help find a game' thread said it sounded familiar, but as is I'll just give up on this. Thanks for trying to help everyone.

It sounds like Wince Nail, but that's likely too old, not cartoony, and it doesn't show up in the Master List.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Actually wasn't there a megathread once for spooky games? IIRC it had playthroughs of Ib and Ao Oni, maybe this game is also there?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Actually wasn't there a megathread once for spooky games? IIRC it had playthroughs of Ib and Ao Oni, maybe this game is also there?

I think I remember that thread. I can recall 2 or 3 titles other than the ones you mentioned; there was Paranormal and Haunt. I think Mad Father too?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, Sandcastle, it's me again.

Ep 1, test version
OP and first update (also links the video)

Seeking any and all feedback, because I'm going to be reediting and rerendering this video anyway, but I've got this for now and it's 95% representative. But in particular;

0) Yes, I know the first five seconds of commentary also picked up some rear end in a top hat revving a motorbike outside my window. I guess I never checked the very beginning. I'm also probably going to record one or two more lines over the frontload screen, because I didn't appreciate how long that went on for.

1) Commentary tone in general? I honestly worry that almost any addition from me is somewhat contrary to the somber tone of the game but I really don't think it would work as a subtitle LP.

2) The subtitle additions? I'm still pretty happy with my scrolling lyrics thing, but I'm less sure about the tooltips on the right side I added during the game's flashbacks. On the one hand, they're there because the game has a lot of characters and it's not immediately obvious when you're viewing a conversation where exactly it fits in to the chronology. On the other, in this first video, watching it all back, it seems... slightly superfluous? I think some will find it welcome, which would justify it for me, honestly, but do people think it's at least unobtrusive? I feel like games have done worse themselves internally just having an onscreen popup for audiologs et al.

3) Thoughts on the writeup?

4) Anything else you can think of?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I think your audio balancing is off. The sound/music overpowers your voiceover

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

corn in the bible posted:

I think your audio balancing is off. The sound/music overpowers your voiceover

I'm never quite sure how to handle this balance. I tried not to be very loud compared to the game because I want the game audio shown off properly, and I don't want to be autoducking it all the time for the same reason. I guess I could stand to up my volume a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gonna start rejiggering that video and possibly rerecording some things tomorrow so, one more call for any feedback of note.