Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Thirty minutes and I can release my hand from the square! Thirty minutes until i pick up my partner and we head back and smash some Single Malt Scotch I bought and SMOKE BOWLS!!

Scotch AND bowls.?! Damm dude ur hard

that would send me straight to spin city :barf:

use caution fwiend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

here's what the guy at my liquor store somehow talked me into buying

luckily it tastes way better than Natty light (not to mention :nattyburn:) and isn't too sweet

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

opioid agonist posted:

Scotch AND bowls.?! Damm dude ur hard

that would send me straight to spin city :barf:

use caution fwiend

Lol it's just gonna be like two small glasses it's too expensive to slam.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

opioid agonist posted:

here's what the guy at my liquor store somehow talked me into buying

luckily it tastes way better than Natty light (not to mention :nattyburn:) and isn't too sweet

Hahaha I work at a liquor store part time and we got that in just like two weeks ago I've been curious because some part of me that sees pink on something wants to buy it.

Areola Grande

:yossame:

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCWNHrIVKdE

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

blaise rascal posted:

I know this is from a page or two back but that person who thinks driving time counts as work time should probably give up that theory

Or just be sure not to mention it to any coworkers

lol, how does the boot taste?

but srsly, to be clear : if you work 8 hrs for x dollars/hr., and it takes you an hour to get there and an hour to get home, you have spent 10 hrs. in the pursuit of work and should multiply 8 by x dollars and then divide it by 10 to understand your actual compensation for your time. i'm not implying that one should request extra compensation for their commute time, just saying that I certainly wouldn't be on a bus at 7am on a Wednesday, for instance, for any reason other than work.

also, I didn't ask for any advice on the topic and don't appreciate the tone of your comment, comrade. What I asked was if anyone else counted their commute time as work.

pogi

im going to be a doctor, but right now im an orderly

pogi

really praying that careers work like the sims

lol but

body is a dinosaur

pogi posted:

really praying that careers work like the sims

yes but the part where you are in a pool with no ladder

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Hugh Malone posted:

also, I didn't ask for any advice on the topic and don't appreciate the tone of your comment, comrade.
Appreciate my tone or don’t, but I have known someone get into trouble for misrepresenting his working hours, and it wasn’t pretty. I don’t see why it’s so bad for me to try to help prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

And these things aren’t always obvious; for instance, if you get in an accident because of an inattentive Pizza Hut driver delivering pizzas, you can sue Pizza Hut, but if you get in an accident due to that same driver commuting to the restaurant in the morning, Pizza Hut itself is not usually liable for any damages, and you can only sue the driver. My point being that there are usually pretty clear lines of demarcation for this kind of stuff, at least in America, and commuting costs (including time) tend to fall outside the scope of employment.

Certainly if you have a long or difficult commute then that should factor that into how much you value a job. I don’t see how anyone could argue with that

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

For salary calculations yes include it in your mental math. As already stated it's very dangerous to treat it as such beyond valuing your free time.

I do an hour commute and it wears on you. A subscription to Audible makes the drive better and can feel like free time when you are in the middle of a good book.

If you can take public transportation it can help, as you can view train time as free time assuming you bring a game console or laptop. Bonus if you can convince work to have you work remote at the time and actually count it as work hours.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

pixaal posted:

I do an hour commute and it wears on you. A subscription to Audible makes the drive better and can feel like free time when you are in the middle of a good book.
My current commute is just barely long enough for me to do a Pimsleur audio course every day. I got all through all 150 Spanish lessons and now I’m doing Portuguese

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

blaise rascal posted:

Appreciate my tone or don’t, but I have known someone get into trouble for misrepresenting his working hours, and it wasn’t pretty. I don’t see why it’s so bad for me to try to help prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

All right, but I didn't say anything about asking for extra compensation for the commute. As this was your concern, I wish you had explained it in your first post. The vagueness of your response left the door open to interpretation, while your off-hand manner came off as aloof and condescending in my opinion. So that's why I didn't like your tone: it seemed to me you were just saying, "no this is dumb and you are dumb" and did not feel chill, to me. Thank you for elaborating on what your concerns were, I totally see what you meant now.

quote:

Certainly if you have a long or difficult commute then that should factor that into how much you value a job. I don’t see how anyone could argue with that

thank u, comrade

pixaal posted:

For salary calculations yes include it in your mental math.

thank u, comrade, this is what I was getting at. I could have been clearer in how I posed the question.

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete
Oh good, the GM's friend/pet manager is in a mood and I'm the closest person she can unload on. Gonna be a fun day!

Areola Grande

mods pls rename thread "overworked and have had it up to here crew"

thx

Mummy Napkin
you can take this job and SHOVE IT crew

MockingQuantum

mods please rename this to "hanging out the window yelling 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!' crew thread"

thank you luvcow for the sig

lol but

body is a dinosaur
1st international of chill

Goons Are Gifts

But what if you like your job and enjoy doing stuff there, finding it relatively chill? :smith:

bare bottom pancakes

Production: Complete

Goons Are Great posted:

But what if you like your job and enjoy doing stuff there, finding it relatively chill? :smith:

I find there's a 50/50 split on my day being enjoyable or a nightmarish slog that feels twice as long as it should, and it all hangs on the attitude of day crew.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I left work early today work crew, felt like bad doodoo. It's time to return to the domicile and play Legend of Zelda on NES and snooze.

pixaal

I left work early today work crew, felt like bad doodoo. It's time to return to the domicile and play Legend of Zelda on NES and snooze.

Switch NES, or a real NES?

sig by owlhawk911

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

pixaal posted:

Switch NES, or a real NES?

Real NES friend, original gold cartridge taken out of the box after I read the manual on the toilet. B)

Areola Grande

holy poo poo

Areola Grande

name yourself ZELDA to start on the second quest if you want to

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Are these the fleeces of animals?

ALSO: Currently making contact with the square.

yap, currently waiting on them to be ready to card post-wash and they're all hanging on drying racks in my basement. hopefully tomorrow in between buying court clothes and doing a lot of paperwork and generally being very angry and tired at the world of both work and the unfortunate reality of poo poo i'm still struggling with mentally over stuff related to paperwork and court.

also i have not actually slept more than two hours a day in the last few weeks so this is getting ridiculous and i wish i could sleep.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Hugh Malone posted:

All right, but I didn't say anything about asking for extra compensation for the commute. As this was your concern, I wish you had explained it in your first post. The vagueness of your response left the door open to interpretation, while your off-hand manner came off as aloof and condescending in my opinion. So that's why I didn't like your tone: it seemed to me you were just saying, "no this is dumb and you are dumb" and did not feel chill, to me. Thank you for elaborating on what your concerns were, I totally see what you meant now.

Hello, I am glad this discussion reached an amiable understanding of previously misunderstood subject matters, and I hope that by sharing my own idiosyncratic work experience, I am not reigniting any unhappiness.

Anyway, so for the past three years, I have been an ESL teacher in Chile. Most of the time, I have worked on site, which means I take the subway or buses or sometimes walk around Santiago to go to people's homes and offices to teach English. Now once you get to someone's home or office, it is pretty chill, because we can drink Fanta and talk about Star Wars, which is what people do in Chile. But the process of getting there is pretty tough. For my first two years, I was paid transit, although at a reduced rate (basically they paid a reduced rate and vastly underestimated the time, so like an hour long commute was called 25 minutes. But basically it all added up at the end of the month. Sometimes the transit was meaningful, like when it was on the other end of the city.

The thing about this is, that in our situation, we certainly count transit time as work time, even when we aren't paid for it, because its a sizable portion of the work. The job works in such a way that a 90 minute class might have an hour of commuting on either side of it.

This also explains why the job doesn't look as good as it does on paper. I mean, I got paid, for a while, 20 dollars an hour to go to people's homes and hang out. Two 90 minute classes a day meant that I could work 3 hours a day and make 60 dollars a day. Pretty easy, right? The thing about that is, if you have a 1 PM class and a 7:30 PM class, in different parts of the city, you are leaving home at noon, getting home at 3:30, then eating lunch, and heading out at 6:30, and getting home at 10:00. It might not seem like it to an outsider, but that still calculates out to a 10 hour chunk of time that can't be used for other things, and so that 60 hours is not as much as it seems. (And don't even get me started on times when there is a 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM class in one day: a 14 hour time commitment with two rush hour commutes, for the wages of three hours.

And this, and reasons like this, is why I am thinking I won't be working here for another year, unless I can really be a whiny primadonna and avoid these situations.

ANYWAY, also, relevant to the discussion, what counts as work varies depending on the situation, and some people are going to describe things differently in terms of labor law and practical terms, and its going to be mystifying to others.

Areola Grande

i didn't sleep a wink last night but here i am, back at work

pls help me get through the day without falling asleep work crew

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Manifisto

opioid agonist posted:

pls help me get through the day without falling asleep work crew

okay let me tell you a story about a work crew yobber who was out working on a day JUST LIKE THIS ONE. they were working along, minding their own business, when a report came on the radio about an HR representative with a HOOK FOR A HAND who just escaped the local insane asylum!

ty nesamdoom!

Areola Grande

Manifisto posted:

okay let me tell you a story about a work crew yobber who was out working on a day JUST LIKE THIS ONE. they were working along, minding their own business, when a report came on the radio about an HR representative with a HOOK FOR A HAND who just escaped the local insane asylum!

omg

pixaal

Manifisto posted:

You forgot the part about the sounds of a HOOK scratching against METAL coming from the AIR HANDLER 20 minutes later

sig by owlhawk911

MockingQuantum

Manifisto posted:

pedestrian office job urban legends/ghost stories is an excellent thread idea imo

thank you luvcow for the sig

Areola Grande

what should i do if there's a call from HR coming from INSIDE THE BUILDING

Manifisto

opioid agonist posted:

what should i do if there's a call from HR coming from INSIDE THE BUILDING

look in the mirror and say "noncompete" five times

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

wouldn't human resources just be a pile of limbs and organs used to repair a human

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

wouldn't human resources just be a pile of limbs and organs used to repair a human

ty nesamdoom!

vanisher

Or is it resources FROM humans?

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Or is it resources FROM humans?

ah so that's why they always have reams and reams of that "soylent white" office paper

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

I ask you, what good is the internet if I can't locate old snl sketches with a few keystrokes?