Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey this gay girl substory in Kiwami is heartwarming and progressive and had a really good moral in the end. I'm really impressed and plea-
video of the real life girl dancing in her underwear plays

:cripes:

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
just got done with my first play though, had a pretty good time.

didn't like how much it was feeling like a retread from 0. considering that this is the original it lessens 0s story to me.

i have a question for you yakuza thread, do the rest of the games in the series keep using such similar plot archs?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
EDIT: Whoops, dumb post, of course 3 came out before 0 or Kiwami.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 23, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Still playing through 0, and I think my favorite thing is how it's effectively two games that work well together. There's the version with Kiryu and Majima, two ex-Yakuza who are serious about the events surrounding the crime world and everything going on in it, and then there's the version with Kiryu, real estate savant, and Majima, Lord of the Night, genius of the cabaret. It's like the Yakuza stuff is the main series, but then the other side is what TV shows sometimes do where they'll show the same characters in an alternate reality. Like this is what these characters would be doing if they never got wrapped up in all the illegal stuff, and you can jump between the two realities at will.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

imo both Kiryu and Majima are both really, really bad at the actual crime part of Yakuza life. Their whole careers can be summed up as "got back tats, got the boot, I heard about this cute new hostess Goromi-chan, etc."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
majima's good at herding thugs, at least. i have no idea how the hell kiryu was ever a successful yakuza, though.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

majima's good at herding thugs, at least. i have no idea how the hell kiryu was ever a successful yakuza, though.

He was Kazama's protegee. As a civilian he had done the following

-Successfully decimated all of Kuze's men just to fight Kuze

-Fended off being captured by Awano while fighting the dojima family and members of the Kazama family. Then fight off Kuze who already had his pinky cut and telling Awano to gently caress off given his rep as an extortionist who's brute force is worse than his persuasion skills

-persuaded one of the most enigmatic rivals of the Tojo to buy off the Tojo to protect Kiryu for one day. All while defeating Nihara's personal guard

-Fought off Shibusawa and every little attempt to hunt down Makoto culmulating in the Shibuara wharf fight that resulted in the entire Dojima attack force repelled long enough to secure Kazama's position and topple Sohei from his spot.l

As Dojima's Lieutenant his job was to be prison warden for Sohei to make sure Kazama has an eye on him. Had he started his own clan the Dojima would have been run out of town as Kazama does not want a threat to power unsupervised.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, so he was really good at fighting against yakuza. how does that square with handling the day to day theft, extortion, smuggling, drug dealing and prostitution?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i mean that's the whole point right? he isn't. not in the way we mean Yakuza.

he see him in 0, not really knowing the way of doing things like Nishiki does, but he's here because Kazama is here, and that means the world to him, even if he's just an errand thug

speaking having only played 0, 1 and 2, almost the entire conflict is kiryu's idea of what being a yakuza means, an honorable outlaw with people's best interests at heart vs the cold reality of what an organized crime group actually is. from what i've seen of the later games, this ideal progresess too, the shining idealism kiryu has of kazama in 0 and 1 that clashes with the higherups, into this almost antiquated mindset as the younger yakuza generation don't see the honor in it that kiryu does.

kiryu is strong, and noble and a good person, but a terrible yakuza. but that doesn't matter. He's going his own way and acting in what he feels a Yakuza should be. Like the tattoo on his back, the king of the heavens answering to no one, kiryu is Like A Dragon

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 24, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a terrible yakuza but he was somehow incredibly successful and respected by his peers for the 7 years between 0 and 1. you can't chalk it all up to kazama's influence, because nishiki had that same benefit but no one especially liked him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
kiryu inspires confidence in people, he does that constantly in like every substory, and that's powerful with grunts, he's basically one step above where he was in 0. working under kiryu would probably be pretty sweet and lax, but kiryu doesn't let people take advantage of him like we see with the underling he has at the beginning of 1

nishiki doesn't do that, he's also Kazama's boy, but Nishiki is more unsure and lets people walk on him, so it takes him finally snapping to get his boys in line

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kiryu is so beautiful and dumb. I just did Zombie Majima and he takes it all so earnestly :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerusalem posted:

Hey this gay girl substory in Kiwami is heartwarming and progressive and had a really good moral in the end. I'm really impressed and plea-

Zero has videos of every female NPC too. It's partially advertising too though, the hostesses/etc. are actual hostesses and adult film performers that you're seeing videos of.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 24, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerusalem posted:

Kiryu is so beautiful and dumb. I just did Zombie Majima and he takes it all so earnestly :allears:

"At least I'll never have to fight zombies ever again."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBoNkCuCKLw

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Kiryu falling for that is pretty much his peak naivete, it's so great

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Zero has videos of every female NPC too. It's partially advertising too though, the hostesses/etc. are actual hostesses and adult film performers that you're seeing videos of.

Does that include the Grandma?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Jerusalem posted:

It's weird because they try to frame it as "yeah I'm gay but I'll do this because I feel comfortable with you (???)" It felt like the localizers trying their best to rescue a bit they knew was going to look bad. They kind of said as much in that interview posted a while back.

quote:

The way her story results in Japanese, if translated straight, comes off as that like "Well you just never met a real man" kind of feel to it. But I don't think that's the intention they were going for, that's just the way it comes across in English. So I do remember there being this light feeling of needing to change the language, because that's not the point here.

I'm curious what a literal translation of that whole last scene looks like.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Playing Kiwami for the first time and holy poo poo the saga with the ring is hilarious and endearing. Classic Yakuza experience.

Also I lost my poo poo a little bit when I realized the music in the pawn shop changed to a muzak version of Machine Gun Kiss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kiryu: This bug card game isn't about girls in bikinis, it's a complex game of depth and strateg-
Majima: But where are the actual bugs?
Kiryu: ...... :stare:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Kiryu: This bug card game isn't about girls in bikinis, it's a complex game of depth and strateg-

its best to assume that kiryu is dave

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jerusalem posted:

Fun fact, that game is a parody of a real game that features actual beetles, Mushiking.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've beaten every Mesuking opponent and have every card except the one you get by beating the Rock kid over 20 times. Won't bother getting it because anyone who tries to fill out the play log is a sucker.

Is there a "coming out" metaphor with Majima? He spends a whole game as a buttoned up professional, but not by choice. Only when he's free does he dress up as camp and start acting wacky. He's not a monkey-cheese humourist because he does appreciate hobbies like RC cars and Card Battles, while still retaining his business acumen and even wears a suit at meetings.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 24, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

And Tyler Too! posted:

imo both Kiryu and Majima are both really, really bad at the actual crime part of Yakuza life. Their whole careers can be summed up as "got back tats, got the boot, I heard about this cute new hostess Goromi-chan, etc."

It's a consistent running joke in the series that Kiryu is basically never actually part of the Yakuza except in the prologue to Yakuza 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EA Sports posted:

i have a question for you yakuza thread, do the rest of the games in the series keep using such similar plot archs?

Nah. Yakuza 3 is somwhat different and somewhat similar to 6 with the emphasis on a more small-town atmosphere, though some people don't like how slowly it starts. Yakuza 4 and 5 are about stupidly complex plots with dumb twists that don't matter because gently caress it, there's so much stuff to do in Yakuza 4 and 5 that the main storyline barely matters.

Yakuza 2 is straight up a crime film and probably the best game in the series for giving that "Japanese crime drama as video game" atmosphere.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I beat 5 and never got far in 4, maybe when it's on PC. There should have been an option to free-roam as a character after you beat their chapter instead of having them disappear for 30 hours until the endgame.

Daigo should been playable over Shinada if only to reverse his reputation as a wuss who either gets kidnapped or sells out every game.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Shinada rules, is a great character and fun to play as (only Kiryu is better). Dump Akiyama instead.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

derra posted:

Dump Akiyama instead.

how very dare you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Akiyama's combat style in Y4 and Y5 is the most enjoyable in either game imo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shinada is playable mr. libido. it's just a shame his combat style is tied to the lovely weapon mastery system.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Majima ran a cabaret which presumably was a front to launder yakuza money, it just turned out Majima was just really good at running cabarets during a boom period. He also was going to go shoot up some Yakuza, but got held up.He also ran a presumably illegal fight club/gambling den. I also feel Majima Construction is highly illegal, because I am fairly certain general contracting requires more than just a hard hat and protecting your equipment from toughs and probably requires licences of some sort.

Kiryu just collects on dirt bags for loan sharks and acts as general muscle to deal with other criminals.

edit: Kiryu commits crimes, but they're so low key in comparison to every one else that they may as well not exist. Except for blowing up multiple helicopters, I'm not sure if self defense in japan allows for using an RPG to blow up helicopters trying to shoot you.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 24, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Defenestrategy posted:

Majima ran a cabaret which presumably was a front to launder yakuza money, it just turned out Majima was just really good at running cabarets during a boom period. He also was going to go shoot up some Yakuza, but got held up.He also ran a presumably illegal fight club/gambling den. I also feel Majima Construction is highly illegal, because I am fairly certain general contracting requires more than just a hard hat and protecting your equipment from toughs and probably requires licences of some sort.

If he ever goes back to it, he's got a bright future in bomb disposal

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Majima being a low-key business genius is one of the best bits in Yakuza that goes pretty uncommented on in the games themselves.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

how very dare you

I admit, I haven't played 3 or 4, so I can't judge Akiyama fairly, but the only time I liked him was when he realized he was going to get the poo poo kicked out of him for trying to prevent Kiryu from kidnapping a baby, but doing it anyway.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

derra posted:

I admit, I haven't played 3 or 4, so I can't judge Akiyama fairly, but the only time I liked him was when he realized he was going to get the poo poo kicked out of him for trying to prevent Kiryu from kidnapping a baby, but doing it anyway.

He wasnt in 3, and 4 has him be a lot more of a jerk iirc.

That said, Kick Man is nice to control.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, akiyama was kind of a creep in 4 sometimes.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It really isn't that. It's a total remake of the original PS2 game. Which is extremely awesome and is still more content and fun than I've gotten from $60 titles this year.

It just pales in comparison to Zero and Kiwami 2 because holy poo poo those games. I'm having more fun with Kiwami than 4, that's for sure.
Yeah, you're right on all accounts, but gently caress does Kiwami have the same charm and atmosphere to keep it worth playing.

The Pocket Racer stuff is just as good as ever too, with the exception of the music being nowhere near as good, but who am I to complain given the quality of the writing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akiyama is fun to play but I never got over my first impression of him from the start of 4 being a creep and an arsehole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I *did* plat 5 so I spent a fair amount of time in the arena & other assorted combat.

Saejima was boring but effective. No flinch on heat was so good that you didn't want to spend heat, so SSS charge TTT was almost always the correct move. It worked but was boring to play as.

Kiryu is a god of death. Heat actions for everything, including smoking for crying out loud. Counters, healing, toggleable invulnerability.

In a lot of ways Shinada does feel like a budget Kiryu, but Kiryu has so much that he doesn't lack for anything. Toss inweapons, though, and it's a different story. While it takes some investing, it's not that bad if you buy cheap ones along the way in randoms and train with his master, which gives him tons of durability. His Kali Stick attack is uninterruptable IIRC and destroys bosses even faster than Saejima, his running sword HA takes out 3 enemies with minimal heat use and he has many unique weapon HAs to keep them from going stale in a fight. Without weapons his options are limited, but still has healing to fall back on if required. Edit and STC is cheap as hell, you can poke with it and also use it on recovering enemies purposefully whiffing the S to lock them down.

Akiyama has good mook control with two easy HAs that hit multiple enemies, and good options on launchable enemies, but not all enemies are launchable. A lot of fights against bulkier enemies came down to spamming Launch Strike on the heads of downed enemies, which didn't seem right? For me he was less effective but more fun overall than Saejima, but less fun than the other two.

derra fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 25, 2019