Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: loving beaten. So I might as well quote the curse so that nobody misses it:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 22, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I scrolled all the way to the end of the page and I still have no idea what they're trying to sell me

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Windows Small business server 2003 edition, bundled into an office printer thingy. All the fun of SBS with all the added fun of printers and printer managment.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I scrolled all the way to the end of the page and I still have no idea what they're trying to sell me

That's because you aren't the person they're trying to sell.. it's small/medium business CFO/CEOs who are the target.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Based on the buzzwords I would assume this to be an MFP that dispenses an under-qualified MSP technician when something goes down.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Based on the buzzwords I would assume this to be an MFP that dispenses an under-qualified MSP technician when something goes down.

So just a regular MSP tech then?

(I say this as a former MSP tech)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The demongraphic

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

The demongraphic

Do you work for the Union Aerospace Corporation

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Someone on Reddit improved the design of it a bit:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

I don’t see a printer. That thing can’t be compared because there is no printer.

Probably doesn’t even have a fax modem for an OOB attack vector sending and receiving faxes.

This is what you get when you half rear end things instead of just getting an elegantly designed and engineered solution that you won’t be able to have admin access to for fear of voiding the warranty.

:colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I originally saw this on reddit, where someone pointed out that -- among the many other problems with this idea -- there might be some concerns about having your network and systems infrastructure in a location that definitionally will not be secured.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

They are missing the shared storage component.

But the trash can was a great touch.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guppy posted:

I originally saw this on reddit, where someone pointed out that -- among the many other problems with this idea -- there might be some concerns about having your network and systems infrastructure in a location that definitionally will not be secured.

Take it home with you at night :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Take it home with you at night :v:

Nah, a Kensington Lock attached to a table leg will be fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Two VM hosts and Hyperconverged S2D :colbert:. Use the space savings for the cluster switches.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ugh that feeling when you can't even stand to watch a user fail at changing their own password any longer.
I tried for 40 loving minutes to help talk them through it. I was right there, watching every keystroke.
I said, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm going to do this for you because I cannot sit here all day watching you fail at this. You can figure out how the keyboard works after I get you logged in."

I've been recently asking users while shadowing them why they push Caps Lock to make one letter in their password capital. I then take the risk to ask them if they know about the shift key. Sadly so far it's been news to them. At least I'm teaching them something new? :eng99:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have two users that do the caps lock thing, and are both otherwise competent home-row typists.

When asked they both shrugged and said that's just how they learned.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

The Fool posted:

I have two users that do the caps lock thing, and are both otherwise competent home-row typists.

Yeah, I expect to run into that at some point but so far it's a new thing for all of them. It's been older users so far, it just stood out to me when i saw it and i recently got bold enough to ask them about it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

My Caplock key has only ever been useful to me when ... .well one time I had to ..... gently caress it - the thing is useless. Thankfully I have this fancy keyboard at work that lets me disable the key entirely.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

After disabling capslock in the registry, it still registers as a keypress so it's great as a push to talk button for game comms.

Unfortunately some voice comms programs don't allow you to bind capslock.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
It brings up the command wheel thing in Operation Flashpoint: Red River. One of the reasons I never bothered to get too far into the campaign TBH.

The Fool posted:

That's how I learned. Then I got my first ever computer (worth typing on... the C64 was for games only) when I was like nine years old and someone pointed out shift to me early on and I never looked back.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Merijn posted:

My Caplock key has only ever been useful to me when ... .well one time I had to ..... gently caress it - the thing is useless. Thankfully I have this fancy keyboard at work that lets me disable the key entirely.

I’ve never found a use for Numlock other than driving me crazy thinking my keys weren’t working.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bigass Moth posted:

I’ve never found a use for Numlock other than driving me crazy thinking my keys weren’t working.

Turning off Numlock is useful for enabling 8-directional keyboard unit movement in Civilization games.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Capslock was useful when mainframes would throw a shitfit if you used lower case. Kinda like the pause, break and sysreq keys

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SoftNum posted:

Capslock was useful when mainframes would throw a shitfit if you used lower case. Kinda like the pause, break and sysreq keys

For the longest time I thought SysReq meant "System Required" and was in reference to the "Print" that's also on the key, like "If have a printer (the titular System Required) and you push this button it will print".

:eng99:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Bigass Moth posted:

I use MouseKeys sometimes (when I'm lazy / to minimize mouse use and combat RSI) and you can set it up to only be active when NumLock is off. That works pretty well.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Arquinsiel posted:

^^^^
It brings up the command wheel thing in Operation Flashpoint: Red River. One of the reasons I never bothered to get too far into the campaign TBH.
That's how I learned. Then I got my first ever computer (worth typing on... the C64 was for games only) when I was like nine years old and someone pointed out shift to me early on and I never looked back.

Hilariously, the keyboard for my C64 labeled the key "Shift Lock," which is probably how I learned about it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I assume it's hyperconverged so the hypervisors are doing all the things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My boss is a capslock-for-shift guy, but he at least has the self-awareness to feel ashamed about it.

Still, it took me a while to realize that a message like "WHAT IS GOING ON WITH X?" wasn't an outraged demand, it was just a request for a status update on X.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm kinda too far the opposite, it's rare that I'll use capslock over shift, even in situations where I'm going to be writing in all caps for several sentences

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Merijn posted:

I LOVE THE CAPS LOCK KEY ESPECIALLY WHEN TYPING EMAILS IN RESPONSE TO MY MOTHER ITS LIKE ONE BIG RUN ON SENTENCE IN TWO PARTS BY TWO SEMI-DEAF PEOPLE SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER WITHOUT EVER TAKING A BREATH

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The only time you should be using all caps is if you're the person managing the Not A Wolf Twitter account

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does anyone remember a video from a couple of years ago of a hapless IT guy trying to recover the RAID array for a small video production company? It was all videos of like skateboarding and stunts, that sort of thing, and they had some kind of horrible and badly designed multi-layered RAID system where one drive failure caused stripe errors in all of the archival videos.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sounds like something Linus Tech Tips did

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is absolutely Linus' raid 0+5 of their own video production servers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes indeedy. Thanks!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Every time I look at RAID it seems that someone has juggled around what the numbers mean... I very rarely actually look at it anymore, but it's weird to think I have a concept down only to learn that I really, really don't literally every time I look.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Binding caps lock to esc has helped me become be much faster in VIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RAID levels haven't changed. They have added some combinations, but the individual meanings are still the same.