Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shortspecialbus posted:

As long as it's not anything like real swans or Canada geese, I'm OK with it. If it is like those, then no, I'm OK without that.

This guy gets it. Swans and geese may look cuddly, but they have the temperament of Jurassic Park Velociraptors.

crazypeltast52 posted:

In case anyone is wondering, the 50 pound eagles killed 500 pound moas by dive bombing them and breaking thier necks. :black101:

Moas, and also probably early Māori. :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are extant species of raptors large enough to prey on human children.

Wedge‐tailed eagles, crowned eagles, and white‐tailed eagles have all been implicated in serious attacks on children in the modern era, sometimes children as old as seven years.

"James Dawson posted:

The [wedge‐tailed] eagle is hated on account of its readiness to attack young children. The natives mention an instance of a baby having been carried off by one, while crawling outside a wuurn near the spot where the village of Caramut now stands.

The village of Leka in Norway has a coat of arms that references a 1932 eagle attack:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 24, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

There are extant species of raptors large enough to prey on human children.

Wedge‐tailed eagles, crowned eagles, and white‐tailed eagles have all been implicated in serious attacks on children in the modern era, sometimes children as old as seven years.

My ex-girlfriend is a zookeeper and spent a few years in the bird department. Hanging around the zoo I got to see Harpy Eagles reacting to (read: becoming abnormally-alert and beginning to stalk) toddlers, which was... Chilling.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
DIY › Crappy Construction Tales: Come for the piss towels, stay for the animal attacks

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Spotted vaguely in my neighborhood:

What exactly is supporting that wall?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think there's just some perspective fuckery and the nub wall is set back and sitting directly atop the ground floor's wall.

E: Or... not? Maybe there's some cantliver poo poo happening, idk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fender Anarchist posted:

I think there's just some perspective fuckery and the nub wall is set back and sitting directly atop the ground floor's wall.

E: Or... not? Maybe there's some cantliver poo poo happening, idk.

There's that flat bit extending from the eave about a foot, which makes me think that add-on juts out past the ground floor wall.

My thought was cantilevered 2x4s. Bolted to a joist. In one spot.

It's where they put the waterbed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think it's just perspective. It lines up with the front porch fine.

Where's the gutter?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sorry for the lovely photo, but the front of the dormer is absolutely hanging out over the edge of the front wall of the ground floor. I sincerely hope that there is some cantilevering going on there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sorry for the lovely photo, but the front of the dormer is absolutely hanging out over the edge of the front wall of the ground floor. I sincerely hope that there is some cantilevering going on there.

Cantilevers are a thing. And not at all exotic.

It seems that you are in a place between "reading this thread too much" and "not knowing about how building works."

If that is in fact proud of the front load bearing wall it's just a bit of cantilever past it, the kind that any mediocre builder can make work just fine. They won't be tempted to try to do something novel or stupid because of the definition of the existing structure.

I wouldn't put a safe or a fish tank against that wall.......but other than that it's likely fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Alright, fair enough. Sorry for the false alarm. :downs:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alright, fair enough. Sorry for the false alarm. :downs:

I'm not saying it's can't get built wrong. This likely involved cantilevering off of the existing rim joist to make up the difference, which absolutely can be done wrong or inadequately. But unless you saw that with the subfloor off there is no way to tell unless and until it starts failing. The fact that it exists as a finished product is in no way indicative that it's been necessarily done wrong.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I understand. It's one of those "oh duh" things that I just didn't think of until it was brought up.

I think what caught my eye about the building originally was the large mass that was visually supported by a dinky little eave. Arguably that aesthetic make it crappy even if it was built properly; it's kind of like those McMansion entries that have disproportionate columns "supporting" the structure above.. If the eave weren't there I think it'd actually look better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I think what caught my eye about the building originally was the large mass that was visually supported by a dinky little eave.

Which wraps back around to a different kind of crappy construction: aesthetics. Just because it's safe doesn't mean it looks right. So many renos and additions are guilty of this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If overhanging upper floors are wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pictured: getting it wrong.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
When getting it right goes wrong.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

That looks like where the hobbits met Strider.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

See, this doesn't bug me as much because there's no flimsy-looking structure that looks like it's supporting those upper floors. It's not that overhangs can never be done well, just that they need to be done in a way that takes the rest of the structure into account.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Wait, what? How did that happen?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

In this thread, a building has stood for 500 years: "crappy construction."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RandomPauI posted:

Building starts sagging, gets fixed, people who fixed it didn't have the equipment/inclination/technology to push it back up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

Have you ever heard this rhyme?

quote:

There was a crooked man, and he went a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile;
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all liv'd together in a little crooked house.

It’s inspired by the village of Lavenham.

Lavenham was once a boomtown. In the haste to erect habitation, green wood was used.

The green wood warped, as it always does. By the time the problem was serious, the the boom had passed and the occupants could not afford to rebuild.

The original building I posted is on Friar Street in Worcester and I don’t know why it has a Deutsch angle.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 25, 2019

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Platystemon posted:

German construction

Platystemon posted:

British construction.

Replace with modern buildings and it still checks out...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pablo Bluth posted:

Replace with modern buildings and it still checks out...

Well, the old ones don't catch fire quite as spectacularly.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, the old ones don't catch fire quite as spectacularly.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

In this thread, a building has stood for 500 years: "crappy construction."

Pablo Bluth posted:

German construction

I give you Ulm's Crooked House.

In person, it actually leans more than that angle makes apparent.

A level would sit flat on those windowsills.

This is what comes of building next to a canal without sinking your piers deep enough!

OneTruePecos fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 25, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I happen to live close to the Fairbanks House, which is the oldest wooden home in the US (I think). It was built in 1637 and has some similar higgledy-piggledy features due to the settling over time. It was occupied by the same family until about 1900 and they just sort of added on to it without ever really renovating the older sections so it's a weird chronology of building over that period.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ashcans posted:

I happen to live close to the Fairbanks House, which is the oldest wooden home in the US (I think). It was built in 1637 and has some similar higgledy-piggledy features due to the settling over time. It was occupied by the same family until about 1900 and they just sort of added on to it without ever really renovating the older sections so it's a weird chronology of building over that period.

Union of Non-Euclidian Carpenters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Union of Non-Euclidian Carpenters

Local 301i

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ashcans posted:

My family owns a barn that is not quite this bad but has a similar thing going on. I guess when the foundation is dirt and the structure is made of wood by a farmer instead of a carpenter that type of thing will happen. I wouldn't want to live in such a structure though.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...139_rect/10_zm/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My TV reception dropped out and in sticking my head out the window to see what was going on with the cable.... Its actually plugged into one of those cheap plastic Y splitters with a second cable going to downstairs, and the actual inbound coax to it from the aerial is so old that the metal "outer" has literally crumbled to dust.

I don't have the spare parts to hand so I plugged it back in (the inner prong hasn't decayed yet!) , wrapped it in electrical tape and left it. Maybe that will last another 10 years!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hey, my doctor’s office had one of those. It broke and they couldn’t find a new one that for the recess, though, so now they have a carpeted depression in the floor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darchangel posted:

Hey, my doctor’s office had one of those. It broke and they couldn’t find a new one that for the recess, though, so now they have a carpeted depression in the floor.

Was it just a spring scale?

Doctors love their balance beam scales.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I don't have the spare parts to hand so I plugged it back in (the inner prong hasn't decayed yet!) , wrapped it in electrical tape and left it. Maybe that will last another 10 years!

Just what any home owner would do. Good job.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The kitchen is a hilarious mix of extremely great modern layout and 50 year old decor that looks immaculate. Its like they just redid it before selling it, but wanted to keep the old drapes and cabinets

Edit: Just realized I had the same photo twice

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 26, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can tell it's due to a graphics glitch because the Matrix has gone ahead and bricked in the windows

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Glumslinger posted:

The kitchen is a hilarious mix of extremely great modern layout and 50 year old decor that looks immaculate. Its like they just redid it before selling it, but wanted to keep the old drapes and cabinets

Holy poo poo I want that kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Holy poo poo I want to rip the wallpaper right out of that kitchen who likes wallpaper what is wrong with you