Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I bought a second PG279Q off a mate to help him settle some debts, does this mean I need to go a third for that :pcgaming: triple gsync NVIDIA surround poo poo

Given I also use SLI it would be every overpriced green tech short of RTX at once

I feel it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

KS posted:

Thread zeitgeist is definitely IPS > all, but if you have a place you can try them out, it's worth doing. Play a space shooter if that's your thing. Lasers on black is where you'd notice ghosting the most.

Just came from a PG278Q to the Alienware 34" and am struggling with the IPS glow and the comparatively inferior anti glare coating. It's going back. Hopefully this LG new hotness is better. Thanks thread for forcing me to upgrade to a 2080 from my venerable 980 ti so I can use freesync.

IPS displays usually have a higher bar of quality than TNs, but the threads dislike for TNs is pretty overblown. I have a colorometer (i1 Display Pro) and it tells me most of the bad stuff people say about TNs in this thread is bullshit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

colorimeters measure the display from an exact 90 degree angle, so they can't take into account how TNs get all hosed up when viewed off-angle

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The off angle color/contrast is a problem that doesn't exist in practical use, which is why most people out there can't tell the difference between an IPS and a TN just by looking at it. The give away that it isn't a problem is how you actually check if a monitor is an IPS or a TN at a store or not; you look at it from an extreme and unnatural angle because you can't tell by looking at them straight on.

IPS usually looks better, but a TN is still fine, especially if you have to ask. It is not a actual problem if you can't see it without deliberately doing something wrong.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you have a monitor larger or equal to 24" you can see the change in color tone in the corners of the monitor looking straight at it with a TN panel. If you're using a TN panel as a secondary monitor that isn't directly in front of you it's obviously more noticeable. And yeah this is the main issue with TN panels and it's not something a calibrator will pick up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Controversial opinion: If you are using a single monitor which is 27" and under I don't think you would find the viewing angles to be that big of an issue. At 27" the corners may be slightly off colour depending on your viewing distance. This isn't to say buy the refurb TN specials for $50 which are honestly going to be hot garbage, but you can get a decent TN panel and still like it.

Just select a well rated monitor from https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/gaming-monitors-pc and you should be fine

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Indiana_Krom posted:

The off angle color/contrast is a problem that doesn't exist in practical use, which is why most people out there can't tell the difference between an IPS and a TN just by looking at it. The give away that it isn't a problem is how you actually check if a monitor is an IPS or a TN at a store or not; you look at it from an extreme and unnatural angle because you can't tell by looking at them straight on.

IPS usually looks better, but a TN is still fine, especially if you have to ask. It is not a actual problem if you can't see it without deliberately doing something wrong.

It absolutely exists in practical use to me :shrug:

I have a Macbook Air that's a few years old (2015 or 2016 model, something like that). It has a TN panel. It's a quite good TN panel, as far as TN panels go, in a configuration that's pretty much optimal for TN - you're always directly in front of it, you're pretty close to it, and it's very small so you never really get off-angle problems in the corners. It's still bad. Sure, it's not terrible, but the contrast is kinda rear end, colors look generally washed-out and despite all the natural advantages it's very easy to notice the off-angle problems just by moving your head around. It's absolutely a thing that's noticeable in daily use.

I mean, seriously, a lot of TN panels have really lovely static contrast ratios (like, 800:1, or even below that in some cases) and like 92% sRGB coverage - even quality brand ones like Dells commonly suffer from this. That kind of poo poo is noticeable to a lot of people. Still, image perception is extremely subjective and unlike a lot of people in this thread I don't really notice high refresh rate, so I'm not exactly one to talk.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I haven't gone around looking at a load of TN monitors, but the ones I've owned (all 24" or below) I could clearly see the difference in colour between the middle of the screen and the corners at normal desktop viewing distances. Granted I don't think I've ever looked at a "high-end" TN monitor.

The only practical benefit of TN imo is the price.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
The Dell monitor deals are back again (at least in Canada). Can someone help me choose between the

Alienware 34 Curved Monitor - AW3418DW which can be had for $1,080 CAD after 10%OFFMONITOR coupon - 8% ebates cashback for a total of around $1,000CAD + tax

vs

BenQ EX3501R 35" 3440x1440 Ultrawide Curved Monitor 100Hz FreeSync for $799 on Amazon.ca?

The BenQ Freesync monitor is apparently compatible with G-Sync, but doesn't overclock and is stuck at 100Hz. The Alienware is 100Hz out of the box, but overclockable to 120Hz pretty easily. Is there anything that justifies the $200 premium with the Alienware?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The AW3418DW is IPS, the EX3501R is VA. VA means a bit better blacklevels, but with the downside of lots of smearing and ghosting in dark areas. I'd also suspect that the EX3501R doesn't have low framerate compensation. I'd absolutely say the AW3418DW is worth the price premium, especially given Dell's excellent quality control and customer service.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dammit, I just ordered that monitor from dell for $50 more the previous week. How are they for price adjustments if I call them up?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The LG is in stock here for $799 and free shipping:

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/LG34GK950FB/LG-34GK950F-B-34-UltraWide-QHD-Curved-LED-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor-2018-Model

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
At least few TN panels are as bad as a hideously expensive rack-mounted KVM can have. One time I was setting up a new server. I had all sort of stuff to tinker in the white backgrounded BIOS. To see what I was doing I tilted back the display as much as I could and hunkered down to look just over the keyboard. After that experience I decided to get rid of them and setup a desk with new IPS monitors and separate keyboard and mouse.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus

priznat posted:

Dammit, I just ordered that monitor from dell for $50 more the previous week. How are they for price adjustments if I call them up?

According to reddit, they'll give you a refund for the difference.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-FreeSync-Certified-Monitor-NX-EDG27S/dp/B07N4DL9F7

So what's the catch with this monitor? Am I understanding correctly that this is a 1440p 144hz IPS-type monitor that somehow is G-Sync compatible (maybe?) for 400 dollars? Without any, like, tribal tattoos or plastic dragon wings or strobing LEDS?

Nixeus has a pretty good rep, right? I can't really find anything about this particular monitor online.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I guess the stand looks kind of wack.

And the glossy screen... drat, compromise is just inevitable in the world of monitor purchasing huh.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 26, 2019

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-FreeSync-Certified-Monitor-NX-EDG27S/dp/B07N4DL9F7

So what's the catch with this monitor? Am I understanding correctly that this is a 1440p 144hz IPS-type monitor that somehow is G-Sync compatible (maybe?) for 400 dollars? Without any, like, tribal tattoos or plastic dragon wings or strobing LEDS?

Nixeus has a pretty good rep, right? I can't really find anything about this particular monitor online.

Unless their V2 version screwed something up, no it really is that good. Go crazy.

It's the best freesync panel handsdown, and is one if not the only that does variable overdrive (fancy tech that makes motion smear less while the refresh rate varies).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Anyone interested in integer scaling should vote for GPU integer scaling in this poll: https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D211FADB79

I believe this is the closest we’ve ever come to getting this feature. Essential for displaying retro content on hidpi displays!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 26, 2019

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You can't really properly display retro content on a high definition display, hi-dpi or not, unless you want to smear Vaseline over the screen or something. Integer scaling is more important for, e.g. showing 1080p content on a 4k screen without aliasing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

net cafe scandal posted:

Nvidia enabled support for Adaptive Sync/Freesync with their 10x0 and 20x0 series cards. Doesn't work with older cards yet. Nvidia has certified some displays to work with their support and for the other monitors you need to test it yourself.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nice, called Dell support and got my monitor price adjusted.. of course it hits the new low for the AW3418DW in canada a couple days after I buy it! :haw:

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Saukkis posted:

Nvidia enabled support for Adaptive Sync/Freesync with their 10x0 and 20x0 series cards. Doesn't work with older cards yet. Nvidia has certified some displays to work with their support and for the other monitors you need to test it yourself.

Is that an option on the 1660 cards too?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SopWATh posted:

Is that an option on the 1660 cards too?

Yeah, the 16xx cards support Freesync too. The 16xx cards are missing a few headline features from the 20xx cards (raytracing and tensor cores for DLSS) but besides that they have the same architecture/features.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am in the market for a monitor upgrade! I am currently running a GTX 1060 so I was considering staying at 1080p but could be convinced to up the resolution a bit. I do want 144hz and 24"+ though. Are there any standard recommendations or places to start?
E: Maybe this Dell? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-D2719HGF-Response-Speakers-FreeSync/dp/B07J4SXNQ5
E2: I am kinda confused by g-sync. That matches the refresh rate to my framerate? But a monitor has to specifically support it?

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 26, 2019

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

just bought this to replace my u3415w hell yes

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BurritoJustice posted:

Unless their V2 version screwed something up, no it really is that good. Go crazy.

It's the best freesync panel handsdown, and is one if not the only that does variable overdrive (fancy tech that makes motion smear less while the refresh rate varies).

I kept assuming I'd have to wait for the Asus or Acer to go on sale...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am in the market for a monitor upgrade! I am currently running a GTX 1060 so I was considering staying at 1080p but could be convinced to up the resolution a bit. I do want 144hz and 24"+ though. Are there any standard recommendations or places to start?
E: Maybe this Dell? https://www.amazon.com/Dell-D2719HGF-Response-Speakers-FreeSync/dp/B07J4SXNQ5
E2: I am kinda confused by g-sync. That matches the refresh rate to my framerate? But a monitor has to specifically support it?

What's your budget? G-sync costs more and Nvidia cards support Freesync, so you should be looking for either an IPS or TN panel depending on your budget with Freesync and 144hz.

This looks promising: https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-FreeSync-Certified-Monitor-NX-EDG27S/dp/B07N4DL9F7

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

If you do decide to move to a 1440p monitor (which I highly recommend, because it's very nice), the 2060's 1440p performance is slightly better than the 1060 6GB's 1080p performance and a 1660 Ti is awfully close. Used 1060 6GBs are selling for ~$150, so the net upgrade cost would be ~$130-150 for a 1660 Ti or $190-230 for a 2060. Games will also mostly look better at 1440p on a nice monitor even with some settings turned down, though that's subjective.

On G-sync/free-sync: The monitor will display frames as they are delivered from the graphics card so you effectively have an "adaptive refresh rate". This makes frame rates under the monitor's max refresh rate appear smoother than on fixed-rate monitors, where lower refresh-rates cause stuttering when the monitor misses a refresh cycle. It also eliminates screen tearing without the need for v-sync (so long as the refresh rate stays under the max refresh rate).

E: Whoops, forgot the link to the 2060 comparison!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 27, 2019

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ Hmmm, interesting. Maybe I'll considering upgrading...

Gay Retard posted:

What's your budget? G-sync costs more and Nvidia cards support Freesync, so you should be looking for either an IPS or TN panel depending on your budget with Freesync and 144hz.

This looks promising: https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-FreeSync-Certified-Monitor-NX-EDG27S/dp/B07N4DL9F7

I don't really have a budget...
So that one has an IPS panel and higher res. I just read that certain Freesync monitors are now approved by nvidia but that you can manually enable the option in the driver settings or something. So this could work, but I worry about the jump to 1440p for my 1060 though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So is there really any reason why someone would want to shell out the extra 300 american dollars for a G-Sync monitor at this point?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Gsync monitors clock higher. They also have have variable overdrive and aside from the Nixeus EDG 27 and a few monitors that suck for other reasons Freesync monitors don't. Aside from that, not really, unless you're a really serious competitive gamer. Freesync monitors have traditionally sucked because any turd with baseline VRR support could have the Freesync label on it even if the panel was trash, there was tons of processing delay, no variable overdrive, etc. No one was going to pay for high end features on a monitor and hook it up to a loving AMD GPU, but Nvidia supporting it changes that and good products are coming out rapidly.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Gsync monitors clock higher. They also have have variable overdrive and aside from the Nixeus EDG 27 and a few monitors that suck for other reasons Freesync monitors don't. Aside from that, not really, unless you're a really serious competitive gamer. Freesync monitors have traditionally sucked because any turd with baseline VRR support could have the Freesync label on it even if the panel was trash, there was tons of processing delay, no variable overdrive, etc. No one was going to pay for high end features on a monitor and hook it up to a loving AMD GPU, but Nvidia supporting it changes that and good products are coming out rapidly.

Nice. I wish someone would upload a EDG27S v2 review or overview or something because it’s checking every single box except “are you sure it’s gonna look good on your desk?”

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can safely assume the stand is garbage (that's what the S stands for, trash tier stand version), and that the panel QC is terrible because it's the same AUO panel. Aside from that, yes, it's a very appealing monitor.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a 27" IPS 1440p display with free sync.

Mostly going to be doing image work LR/PS and some AFX. I don't really game but wanted to try free sync for shits. UI has to be decent. I played with some Korean displays that had god awful UI and no thanks.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
I'm looking to pick up a 27in 144hz 1440p freesync monitor for gaming and general computer stuff within the next few months, but I think my budget is probably a littler lower than it should be. I'm hoping to find something pretty decent for under $700 on the Australian market.

The only IPS panel I can see in that price range currently is the Asus MG279Q, but I don't know if I should even be considering a cheaper IPS panel or if it's just going to be garbage.

A couple of others I've seen that have decent consumer reviews are the AOC AG271QX and MSI Optix MAG27CQ.

I saw people recommending the Nixeus monitors, but unfortunately they don't seem to be sold here.

I don't really play any twitch shooters these days, but I think I would still find it annoying if the IPS/VA panel had ghosting issues or something like that. Are any of these considered significantly better than the others? Is there another option I should be looking at?

I'm looking to buy it as part of an upgrade I'm doing later in the year, currently I'm running a worse than average gtx970 & i56600 non k system and I wanted to know if the monitor would just be frustrating if I bought it before the rest of the parts? I wouldn't be hitting 100fps+ at 1440p in very much, and from what I understand freesync requires a 10 series and up Nvidia card.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

"IPS displays suck for gaming because response times" is 2008 poo poo that keeps getting regurgitated by Reddit et Al.

All TN has now is price and 240Hz for if your literal job is playing CSGO.

High refresh VA is also garbage in general, on the subject.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've found a lightly used AW3418DW for 770€ :toot:
Now I just hope I won't get scammed, or it was not stolen..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I'm looking to pick up a 27in 144hz 1440p freesync monitor for gaming and general computer stuff within the next few months, but I think my budget is probably a littler lower than it should be. I'm hoping to find something pretty decent for under $700 on the Australian market.

The only IPS panel I can see in that price range currently is the Asus MG279Q, but I don't know if I should even be considering a cheaper IPS panel or if it's just going to be garbage.

A couple of others I've seen that have decent consumer reviews are the AOC AG271QX and MSI Optix MAG27CQ.

I saw people recommending the Nixeus monitors, but unfortunately they don't seem to be sold here.

I don't really play any twitch shooters these days, but I think I would still find it annoying if the IPS/VA panel had ghosting issues or something like that. Are any of these considered significantly better than the others? Is there another option I should be looking at?

I'm looking to buy it as part of an upgrade I'm doing later in the year, currently I'm running a worse than average gtx970 & i56600 non k system and I wanted to know if the monitor would just be frustrating if I bought it before the rest of the parts? I wouldn't be hitting 100fps+ at 1440p in very much, and from what I understand freesync requires a 10 series and up Nvidia card.

What about the Samsung SH850?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Shaocaholica posted:

What about the Samsung SH850?

I'm pretty set on getting a 144hz monitor this time around.

I did find a couple of reviews for the MG279Q that praised it pretty highly 4 years ago... So maybe it would be worth the money?