Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I unironically love the kitchen, wallpaper and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

The kitchen is a hilarious mix of extremely great modern layout and 50 year old decor that looks immaculate. Its like they just redid it before selling it, but wanted to keep the old drapes and cabinets

How many dish washers does one kitchen need? I assume at least one of them is a trash compactor. I don't think I've ever seen one of those IRL.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
From left to right: dishwasher, trash masher, tiny oven.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That picture is seriously breaking my brain. On first glance I just assumed it was another modern kitchen but the more I look at it, the more it ages, like some bizarre kitchen version of Dorian Grey

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Here's a nice ranch in northern IL.

Originally built in 1932 with some additions over the decades.

Seems nice and cozy. Let's head inside.

Wait...

WAIT

WHAT

Is it crappy? Frankly, I'm not sure. I do find it hilarious for some reason I can't explain, though.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fox-River-Grove-IL/5088411_zpid/4794_rid/42.219762,-88.189895,42.181008,-88.23118_rect/14_zm/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The window to the human zoo divorcee Line-Through-The-House living room sucks, but that indoor pool is amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I don't even care look at all that counter and island space. And a proper loving pot rack.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Here's a nice ranch in northern IL.

Is it crappy? Frankly, I'm not sure. I do find it hilarious for some reason I can't explain, though.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Fox-River-Grove-IL/5088411_zpid/4794_rid/42.219762,-88.189895,42.181008,-88.23118_rect/14_zm/

I think the crappiness comes from taxes of $8350/year on a $229K house. In a few years, you'll be paying more in taxes than you will be paying to service the loan (principal + interest) itself. Illinois is hosed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

The kitchen is a hilarious mix of extremely great modern layout and 50 year old decor that looks immaculate. Its like they just redid it before selling it, but wanted to keep the old drapes and cabinets

Edit: Just realized I had the same photo twice

How many sinks does one kitchen need?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

How many sinks does one kitchen need?

Just one. You build the entire kitchen out of stainless steel and have a drain in the floor.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just one. You build the entire kitchen out of stainless steel and have a drain in the floor.

With a hose hanging from the ceiling, like the ones they have for washing dishes in restaurants.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A small utility sink right next to the trash and a prep area is kinda cool, like for prepping vegetables, but they kinda hosed up the trash compactor by placing it out of reach when you're standing at that sink. On the other hand, since the diswhasher is in the island, adding the sink there does not add much more plumbing anyway, and having the sink right there lets you rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher without dripping across the floor so it's a relatively inexpensive and reasonable addition. I think overall the island is reasonably designed.

On the other hand, in the second picture there's a truly enormous oven with a second smaller oven built in under the godlike span of range, so I'm not sure what the tiny oven in the back of the first picture is for. Rotisserie or something?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

A small utility sink right next to the trash and a prep area is kinda cool, like for prepping vegetables, but they kinda hosed up the trash compactor by placing it out of reach when you're standing at that sink. On the other hand, since the diswhasher is in the island, adding the sink there does not add much more plumbing anyway, and having the sink right there lets you rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher without dripping across the floor so it's a relatively inexpensive and reasonable addition. I think overall the island is reasonably designed.

On the other hand, in the second picture there's a truly enormous oven with a second smaller oven built in under the godlike span of range, so I'm not sure what the tiny oven in the back of the first picture is for. Rotisserie or something?

I assumed it was a microwave

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Surely the microwave goes in that empty shelf slot to the right of the fridge, where the cabinets are shortened? That's usually what that gap is for.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sounds more like a torture room than a kitchen TBH.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

therobit posted:

The cooking was that bad?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

therobit posted:

Nothing wrong with multifunction rooms!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

It's the ultimate farm-to-table.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Could be a warming draw or a broiler. Could just be a second oven; people who are really into cooking/baking often have multiple ovens for different temperatures.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking dedicated ice maker.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's the ultimate farm-to-table.

Every Texas farmhouse needs a chainsaw in the kitchen!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

B-Nasty posted:

I think the crappiness comes from taxes of $8350/year on a $229K house.

Yeah, that’s about what I pay. We saw a few houses while shopping that were over 10k/year for houses in the high 200s.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Here’s some home grown crappy construction. Moved into our new house a few months back. Check out the vanity in our half bath.

“Should we get a vanity that actually fits? Nah gently caress it, just cut the trim. Also, let’s tile up to the cabinet, but not under it. That way if someone wants to replace this oversized ugly vanity, they need to find one with the same exact footprint!”

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
When we had our bathroom redone it was way before we found our current contractor who we love and will never let go.

The guys who bid our job ended up costing nearly 2x the quoted cost and the vanity is some of the cheapest poo poo material I can imagine.... BUT at least they tiled the floor 100% and put it on top of the finished floor.

Maybe in 5 years I'll spend even more money to have it done correctly with quality materials but for now it just serves as a reminder of how dumb and gullible we were as new home owners who'd never financed a renovation of any sort.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

beep-beep car is go posted:

Yeah, that’s about what I pay. We saw a few houses while shopping that were over 10k/year for houses in the high 200s.

Illinois rules.

:suicide:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

When we had our bathroom redone it was way before we found our current contractor who we love and will never let go.

The guys who bid our job ended up costing nearly 2x the quoted cost and the vanity is some of the cheapest poo poo material I can imagine.... BUT at least they tiled the floor 100% and put it on top of the finished floor.

Maybe in 5 years I'll spend even more money to have it done correctly with quality materials but for now it just serves as a reminder of how dumb and gullible we were as new home owners who'd never financed a renovation of any sort.

I’m about to replace that vanity with one we found that’s about 2” shallower, so it won’t cut into the trim. Luckily that’s an easy trim piece to find. The new vanity’s footprint is only 1/2” narrower and shallower than the existing one, so while not ideal, a piece of quarter round around the base will hide the gap of where the tile ends.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

The Glumslinger posted:

Edit: Just realized I had the same photo twice

Exactly, I honestly love the style if you just get rid of the curtains/wallpaper/carpeting. Rich wood colors and well-painted white walls work very well, and it has tons of usable space in the Kitchen especially.

My guess is that place is a labyrinth, though.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

For those not following the interior design thread, the bathroom is done:

bEatmstrJ posted:

Now that you've all forgotten, I guess I can post these.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sorry I'm having trouble believing that's not CGI and/or an expensive love hotel.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Looking at the thumbnails, I thought it was from a modded version of Minecraft.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Interior design inspired by the A-Team's van.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

For those not following the interior design thread, the bathroom is done:

I see he did it in mid 90's goth vampire fan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The HDR is off the scale.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

It looks like the bathroom Hard Rock Nick would sexually assault a woman in.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thomamelas posted:

I see he did it in mid 90's goth vampire fan.

It was designed with females in mind...

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I hope to god he doesn't think this will make everyone apologize for mocking him before because if so he's gonna be disappointed.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Looks like the inside of a packet of five blade razors. The clash with the blue corridor is making my guts feel a little funny.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I see the playtest for The Sims 5 is coming along well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaguars! posted:

Looks like the inside of a packet of five blade razors
after you cut yourself on the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

peanut posted:

Sorry I'm having trouble believing that's not CGI and/or an expensive love hotel.

Its totally designed to make the :females: wet as gently caress.

In the shower.

What happened to the sunken bathtub? Didn't he specifically state that he was working with a contractor to keep the sunken bathtub, and that the contractor was all "yo, its not that bad cutting your floor joists" or something?