Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

So, hot take.

Slavery is very bad and should ban hammered with extreme prejudice.

End of take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEICruq0fc&t=8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Those son of bitches showed Naofumi making magical accesories but LEFT OUT THE BEST BIT

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Maxwell Adams posted:

Those son of bitches showed Naofumi making magical accesories but LEFT OUT THE BEST BIT

why are you still watching this

why did you read the manga

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Elephant Parade posted:

why are you still watching this

why did you read the manga

I read the manga up to "If you're such a good person, why don't you have slaves" and had to read the rest. Now I watch the show so I can keep you people up the date with the proper reasons to hate it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
maxwell adams has been enslaved by the shield hero but he's totally fine with it, guys, so it's ok

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Here's a fun meme for the thread, friends :)

https://twitter.com/ShieldHeroEN/status/1100803119305248768?s=19

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll_fr/status/1100769079227490307?s=19

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 27, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Maxwell Adams posted:

I read the manga up to "If you're such a good person, why don't you have slaves" and had to read the rest. Now I watch the show so I can keep you people up the date with the proper reasons to hate it.

:thunk:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The only reason to watch this is to find out what right wing issues mulderman agrees with

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Maxwell Adams posted:

Just be honest and say you read the manga, light novel, and are watching the anime because you like it. I'm not gonna say I won't judge because anyone who says that is a liar, but I'll judge less for being honest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Cappy posted:

Honestly, the level of discourse after an actual fan of the show decided to show up and voice their opinions has convinced me that everyone is mad at this show because of some twitter hot take made with zero information backing it up. Like I'm not even sure what's wrong with the show anymore.

Naofumi starts with little social standing and loses what little remaining they had due to a false accusation. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a false accusation as a plot device; one of the greatest American novels, To Kill a Mockingbird, also used a false accusation as a plot device and no one complains about that. Since Naofumi cannot find any willing companions, he is forced by circumstance into the purchase of demihuman slaves who can help fight with him. This not only shows how low Naofumi has sunk, but also serves to highlight how hypocritical the kingdom is for allowing demihumans to be kept as slaves while claiming to be a just and noble society.

Here there is another example of how well written the light novel is, since during this purchase the author reveals the misogynist mindset the protagonist is currently in. I think it would be sloppy writing on an author's part to not explore the negative feelings towards the opposite sex that someone would feel if they were falsely accused and had their life ruined. Obviously these feelings are misplaced, since the act was that of a single woman (who turns out later to not even be human), but noone would be fully rational after such an event. Really, I think the author being a woman made her feel like she could write Naofumi's true feelings down without fear of being labeled a misogynist herself. Instead, people choose to misgender her since obviously a woman would never write such a thing and it must be a man instead. This goes to show how the haters of the show are really the ones harboring some of these ill feelings towards women and projecting them as hard as they can.

Another criticism I saw was that Raphtalia was a child, but I think this is actually a great bit of storytelling on the author's part that people were too worked up to recognize. The only source for the age of Raphtalia is Raphtalia herself, and remember that she is a Tanuki, known for being very tricky. Since demihumans physically age based on their level, and not by time passing, she could be any age and is likely very old and wise. It becomes obvious from Naofumi's future actions that she lied about her age in an effort to calm down his anger towards her (stemming from his misogyny) by pretending to be younger than she is and thus play to his soft side, and it clearly worked. She is obviously wise beyond her claimed number of years, because she is older than she says.

The other criticism is that Raphtalia requests that the slave collar be placed back on her after Naofumi removes it. Again, her smarts are playing a key role in the story here because she recognizes that while she may be free, since demihumans are kept as slaves in many areas there is a high chance that someone may abduct her thinking she is a runaway slave. By placing the slave collar back on, any potential slave traders would be wary of stealing her since her 'owner' (in this case her close friend Naofumi) would certainly attempt to rescue her, which is not worth the trouble. Instead of recognizing the wiseness of her decision, people would rather deny her agency and state that the author is claiming that women should be subservient to men, which I think couldn't be farther from the truth.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be anything in the show which really warrants the level of vitriol that this thread has leveled against it. I think everyone would do well to take a step back and really evaluate it from first principles, instead of taking other people's words for how you should feel about it.

lol

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Cappy posted:

Honestly, the level of discourse after an actual fan of the show decided to show up and voice their opinions has convinced me that everyone is mad at this show because of some twitter hot take made with zero information backing it up. Like I'm not even sure what's wrong with the show anymore.

Naofumi starts with little social standing and loses what little remaining they had due to a false accusation. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a false accusation as a plot device; one of the greatest American novels, To Kill a Mockingbird, also used a false accusation as a plot device and no one complains about that. Since Naofumi cannot find any willing companions, he is forced by circumstance into the purchase of demihuman slaves who can help fight with him. This not only shows how low Naofumi has sunk, but also serves to highlight how hypocritical the kingdom is for allowing demihumans to be kept as slaves while claiming to be a just and noble society.

Here there is another example of how well written the light novel is, since during this purchase the author reveals the misogynist mindset the protagonist is currently in. I think it would be sloppy writing on an author's part to not explore the negative feelings towards the opposite sex that someone would feel if they were falsely accused and had their life ruined. Obviously these feelings are misplaced, since the act was that of a single woman (who turns out later to not even be human), but noone would be fully rational after such an event. Really, I think the author being a woman made her feel like she could write Naofumi's true feelings down without fear of being labeled a misogynist herself. Instead, people choose to misgender her since obviously a woman would never write such a thing and it must be a man instead. This goes to show how the haters of the show are really the ones harboring some of these ill feelings towards women and projecting them as hard as they can.

Another criticism I saw was that Raphtalia was a child, but I think this is actually a great bit of storytelling on the author's part that people were too worked up to recognize. The only source for the age of Raphtalia is Raphtalia herself, and remember that she is a Tanuki, known for being very tricky. Since demihumans physically age based on their level, and not by time passing, she could be any age and is likely very old and wise. It becomes obvious from Naofumi's future actions that she lied about her age in an effort to calm down his anger towards her (stemming from his misogyny) by pretending to be younger than she is and thus play to his soft side, and it clearly worked. She is obviously wise beyond her claimed number of years, because she is older than she says.

The other criticism is that Raphtalia requests that the slave collar be placed back on her after Naofumi removes it. Again, her smarts are playing a key role in the story here because she recognizes that while she may be free, since demihumans are kept as slaves in many areas there is a high chance that someone may abduct her thinking she is a runaway slave. By placing the slave collar back on, any potential slave traders would be wary of stealing her since her 'owner' (in this case her close friend Naofumi) would certainly attempt to rescue her, which is not worth the trouble. Instead of recognizing the wiseness of her decision, people would rather deny her agency and state that the author is claiming that women should be subservient to men, which I think couldn't be farther from the truth.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be anything in the show which really warrants the level of vitriol that this thread has leveled against it. I think everyone would do well to take a step back and really evaluate it from first principles, instead of taking other people's words for how you should feel about it.

goku

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Cappy posted:

im gay

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Cappy posted:

gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If u like a bad anime whatever. Watching a bad anime just so you can tell us it's bad is dumb. It's just anime you aren't rushing into Chernobyl to seal the reactor there's no need for noble sacrifice.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like hearing details about Incel Hero without having to watch it. This thread is the only place on the internet I've found that talks about Shield Hero beyond the bland as bricks slave girl. Though I imagine after going through two scrub downs in the process of going from light novel to manga to anime the only real thing of note left is the slave girl. Next season another isekai or controversial anime will be announced and Shield Hero will fade from relevance, so might as well get your yucks while you can.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Doubt it considering how invested CR seems to be in promoting the show I'm sure we'll be hearing of it for a while.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

LorneReams posted:

Most people agree, but we are having issues with getting rid of it 100% in the US of A. Maybe in a hundred more years?

Slavery (and other forms of involuntary servitude) still exists in plenty of places around the world, mostly as part of underground economies or criminal networks but also for domestic help. It being banned and taboo is, historically speaking, a very recent development and not one that is fully accepted on a functional level.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Namtab posted:

The only reason to watch this is to find out what right wing issues mulderman agrees with

I'll cut you a deal. We can have a 2 page (no more) discussion about said issues. But ONLY after Shield Hero manages to become good.

Ok.. Good might be setting the bar too high. Decent. We'll have a 2 page discussion when Shield Hero becomes decent.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Paracelsus posted:

Slavery (and other forms of involuntary servitude) still exists in plenty of places around the world, mostly as part of underground economies or criminal networks but also for domestic help. It being banned and taboo is, historically speaking, a very recent development and not one that is fully accepted on a functional level.

There is nothing underground about the US's prison system enacting literal slavery. Most people are cool with it.

Mulderman posted:

I'll cut you a deal. We can have a 2 page (no more) discussion about said issues. But ONLY after Shield Hero manages to become good.

Ok.. Good might be setting the bar too high. Decent. We'll have a 2 page discussion when Shield Hero becomes decent.

The Hero vs Hero duel was good. I laughed when he threw those chomping things at the spear dude.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Nobody is asking for a two-page discussion. We just want to know what you meant by "conservative" so we can figure out whether your politics are appalling or merely disagreeable.

tl;dr what issues

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ChaseSP posted:

Doubt it considering how invested CR seems to be in promoting the show I'm sure we'll be hearing of it for a while.

There's other worse mangas they could adapt, but I think they are just awful enough that they can't get many fans.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Elephant Parade posted:

Nobody is asking for a two-page discussion. We just want to know what you meant by "conservative" so we can figure out whether your politics are appalling or merely disagreeable.

tl;dr what issues

I think we should bring back my original quote here for some context.

Mulderman posted:

Shield Hero is trash, and that is coming from someone who actually leans more towards the right on a lot of things. So I don't buy the idea that disliking Shield Hero is reserved for leftist circlejerk zones.

Which I only brought up to disprove the notion of that one guy who claimed hating on Shield Hero is something that is reserved for "Leftist circlejerk zones"
My political views are boring as poo poo and I have no intention of discussing them in the Shield Hero Quarantine Zone. I'm willing to poke fun at it, and people are free to paint whatever picture they want of me in their mind.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

People still trying to force a politics derail a week after a guy mentioned he "leans right on some issues" are at least as weird as the guy watching shield hero and keeping the thread updated on it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

People still trying to force a politics derail a week after a guy mentioned he "leans right on some issues" are at least as weird as the guy watching shield hero and keeping the thread updated on it

its not weird to want to know what issues

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

what are the issues

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

humans are driven by curiosity.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sharkopath posted:

humans are driven by curiosity.

You can't knock on the shield hero hatewatchers then. :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

mycot posted:

You can't knock on the shield hero hatewatchers then. :v:

I can do whatever I want, because humans are also capricious.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CHAOS.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

People posting about posting are the oddest of all.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So I have a friend/coworker who grew up in a heavily right wing bubble before moving to the liberal bubble where we now work together. He is very open minded and it is fascinating to debate with him and see him confront a reasoned left wing perspective, and also to hear and try to argue against his reasoned right wing perspective. We certainly don't agree on everything but that has honestly strengthened our friendship because we are both open minded and civil when it comes to political discussions.

The problem I have with the "right" is not that I disagree with them but because they just seem to be lovely people. They refuse to engage with anything outside their bubbles and generally just abuse conservative views to justify their hosed up opinions, whether that's racism, entitlement, or hosed up fetishes. This sort of abuse absolutely happens on the far left too, as Get Out makes a pretty solid point of. But the rear end in a top hat echo chamber type of person seems far more prevalent and mainstream on the right, as exemplified by Trump's base.

tldr: Actual conservative/right wing views are not the views of the modern "conservative", don't conflate them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

For instance: I am going to keep all of Viggynash's doors shut with bungie cord, because that is the human experience.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lol

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

So I have a friend/coworker who grew up in a heavily right wing bubble before moving to the liberal bubble where we now work together. He is very open minded and it is fascinating to debate with him and see him confront a reasoned left wing perspective, and also to hear and try to argue against his reasoned right wing perspective. We certainly don't agree on everything but that has honestly strengthened our friendship because we are both open minded and civil when it comes to political discussions.

The problem I have with the "right" is not that I disagree with them but because they just seem to be lovely people. They refuse to engage with anything outside their bubbles and generally just abuse conservative views to justify their hosed up opinions, whether that's racism, entitlement, or hosed up fetishes. This sort of abuse absolutely happens on the far left too, as Get Out makes a pretty solid point of. But the rear end in a top hat echo chamber type of person seems far more prevalent and mainstream on the right, as exemplified by Trump's base.

tldr: Actual conservative/right wing views are not the views of the modern "conservative", don't conflate them.

why are you officially starting a political derail

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The honeypot has gotten too sweet.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Look some people keep child slaves, others don't.

The moral truth is, likely, in the middle somewhere.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

ViggyNash posted:

I think you're confusing "open minded" with "not flipping out as soon as you disagree" which honestly is a fair mistake to make with conservatives. People who are willing to have their minds changed don't cling to their views like a conservative does. Also lol that you think the white people in Get Out were left wing and not the ur-centrist.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The next person who makes a Debate and Discussion post I am going to kick their head off.

This is a tyranny now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*shrugs off priestly vestments with the power of my physical force*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
now that i'm off probe, i hope everyone basically got the picture that endlessly quoting a really loving long post in its entirety just so you can put some inane one-word comment at the bottom isn't actually funny

it literally just makes threads hard to read, and makes posts that aren't a loving mile long way easier to miss

e: like i don't think anyone wants a return to the era of "getting banned for not using proper Queen's English" but, like, this still isn't goddamn neogaf