Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

I actually think that the loot (at least the masterworks and legendaries) are pretty fun. Some of them are just basic numerical increases, but some actually do change your playstyle.

I was speaking purely cosmetically and most of the masterworks seem very similar to regular stuff. The skills loot is alright but the weapons/everything else not so much.

Also the higher you go in difficulty the worse skills become and unless you have ice storm to cc everyone or something you have to rely more on weapons in Grandmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
imagine making a AAA looter shooter in 2018 and completely loving up the looter part despite a decade of post mortems with similar games talking about exactly how to do loot well

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever postmortems come out about Anthem.

For one thing, I'm really curious how many decisions were driven by EA and how many were driven by BioWare. There have been suggestions recently that EA has been significantly more hands-off with their studios than they used to be (see: Dragon Age 2), and while those studios still make decisions about things like release dates and monetization because they know EA will murder them if they fail to meet profit projections, EA isn't necessarily sending people over to force specific things on studios.

What I want to know is what drove decisions like when to release the game (EA wanting a game of this kind in that release window, or BioWare not having the funds to keep developing and needing to release something?), what kinds of things to focus on having in the game for release, why some things that seem critical for a game like this (like a real character sheet/stats screen) ended up out of scope for launch, etc.

Went into development with an ambitious scope and concept, but no well-defined gameplay loop. Production dragged and significant portions of the game were scrapped to turn it into a looty shooty around the time of the 2017 reveal because it would be something easily marketable. The game spent the better part of two years being retooled into what you see today with some stitched together pieces of prior concepts like Ft. Tarsis. That would be my guess, based on everything I've read and seen about Anthem between the lines.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008

Kaysette posted:

imagine making a AAA looter shooter in 2018 2019 and completely loving up the looter part despite a decade of post mortems with similar games talking about exactly how to do loot well

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The shooty part of the game is fun. Everything else is awful. I feel like I'm spending more time on loading screens or walking around Tarsis than actually playing the game.

I routinely fall asleep when loading into a mission or when loading back into fort tarsis.

I think I'll pick up Far Cry 5.5 to tide me over until Division 2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

imagine making a AAA looter shooter in 2018 and completely loving up the looter part despite a decade of post mortems with similar games talking about exactly how to do loot well

Man I just started playing Path of Exile, ya that game has been around forever but the loot is so good in that. You really feel pride when your character one shots a whole level after some new loot and levels.

Also Path of Exile has so much good loot that you need to buy extra stashes to store that loot. That is an amazing way to make the players pay for the game and it's a great problem for the player to have. PoE has been out forever so I don't know how it was before but I hope Anthem gets some time. There are some massive flaws that will never be fixed until an Anthem 2 or another game but they can definitely make Anthem 1 a respectable game if they go the right way with Loot, cosmetics, strongholds, more diverse content.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Went into development with an ambitious scope and concept, but no well-defined gameplay loop. Production dragged and significant portions of the game were scrapped to turn it into a looty shooty around the time of the 2017 reveal because it would be something easily marketable. The game spent the better part of two years being retooled into what you see today with some stitched together pieces of prior concepts like Ft. Tarsis. That would be my guess, based on everything I've read and seen about Anthem between the lines.

Throw in some "can't do <insert expected looty-shooty genre thing> because we decided to use Frostbite" and "it took way longer to implement <core thing necessary to make the game work at all> because we decided to use Frostbite" and that's probably the whole story, yeah.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

All I know is sometimes I die (my fault, a collosus must never die), the game spawn me far away after a loading screen. Then if I am not fast enough to join the group, I ate another loading screen. The second loading screen put me next to the group.

I know the reason is not that this group of people that made this game are stupid. They are probably very talented, smart and hard working. Is probably just rushing to present a complete product, when the time runs out. Also EA greed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Frostbite wouldn't have a single thing to do with how absolutely garbage the loot is though.

A total rush job in less than 18 months would probably explain a whole lot however.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheAgent posted:

Frostbite wouldn't have a single thing to do with how absolutely garbage the loot is though.

A total rush job in less than 18 months would probably explain a whole lot however.

That's true, but it would have a lot to do with a lot of other issues.

I definitely wouldn't blame all or even the majority of the problems on Frostbite, but it sure as poo poo didn't help and likely ate up a ton of the early development time (as it did with both DA:I and ME:A). But even with all of that, there are still so many other games they could have learned design lessons from and just... didn't.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's good that people increasingly understand the systemic forces which drive the lovely decision making of publishers, but it's unfortunate that people have also largely settled on viewing things as good vs evil, the plucky innocent game developer versus the big bad game publisher.

Once you move up in scale beyond indie developers like Team Cherry, game development studios are also private (Or public) corporations which exist to make money and which are infested with as many dipshit managers as any other company.

As is being noted, EA and other major publishers don't actually have a stranglehold on development most of the time. Back when Destiny 2 launched and the in-game lootbox store shitshow got rolling, people laid all blame on Activision despite those decisions having been made entirely by Bungie.

EA and Activision know people view them as the bad cop in the relationship, and it's in their best interest to continue acting as the lightning rod for criticism so long as people continue believing in the myth of the downtrodden underdog developer company and buying in.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Uh oh guys, I just saw somebody online making guides on how to fly around the game fastest by using the most optimal waterfall-to-waterfall flight paths. I hope they get banned for exploiting the game.

Oh poo poo I just saw somebody make a guide on how to properly cast your abilities and use your guns in the right sequence and pace to maximize your DPS. Better ban that sick filth for exploitation too. Not for breaking any rules, but because you know... he just should have magically known better.

Also if you recognize my posting, it's probably because I, the famous GreatGreen, was famously banned from a TV poker tournament for playing a royal flush, which as we all know is the best way to exploit that game. I should have known better.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 27, 2019

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

The story of this game can be summarized with the stepdad metaphor. Mom left dad for a new guy, kid is super angry at the new guy because he ruined a good thing and this all sucks. A few years later mom had married new guy and he's trying to be a nice guy and buys kid their first bike for their birthday. A handful of the kids actually ride the bike, and while it's sized a bit too large for them and they won't be able to comfortably ride it probably for another few months, they see the potential of the bike and realize that it will probably be super awesome when they fit. They'd still mad at stepdad for breaking up their parents, but at least he's trying.

The rest (and vast majority, because in this example they're probably like, 5 years old) of these kids promptly take the sweet bike, go outside, throw it under a moving bus, and then scream at the top of their lungs about how stepdad is poo poo and worse than Hitler and the bike was garbage anyway.

*checks Anthem thread* :yikes: :suspense:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wheeee posted:

It's good that people increasingly understand the systemic forces which drive the lovely decision making of publishers, but it's unfortunate that people have also largely settled on viewing things as good vs evil, the plucky innocent game developer versus the big bad game publisher.

Once you move up in scale beyond indie developers like Team Cherry, game development studios are also private (Or public) corporations which exist to make money and which are infested with as many dipshit managers as any other company.

This is one of Jim Sterling's biggest weaknesses as a critic and commentator, too: his industry analysis seems to stop at "publishers bad" and he generally fails to recognize that the relationship between a publisher and studio isn't nearly that one-dimensional. (He also fails and/or refuses to understand things about the industry like why first-party games are monetized differently from third-party ones--God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Splatoon 2 don't lack microtransactions just because of their developers' benevolence, y'know.)

And that kind of thing spreads. It's certainly not just Jim Sterling saying these things, but he's one prominent example. I hope more people come to learn what you're talking about here about why games like this turn out the way they do. It's almost never because the big bad publisher swooped in and ruined the developers' pure vision. People latch onto examples like Dragon Age 2, where EA really did force it out the door way too early, but that's not really how things usually go.

Before anyone thinks I'm "defending" EA, I'm not. I'm saying that nobody in this publisher/studio relationship is "The Good Guy."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have gotten four legendaries. They've each been the same thing, Papa Pump. Four Papa Pump shotguns...

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Wheeee posted:

As is being noted, EA and other major publishers don't actually have a stranglehold on development most of the time. Back when Destiny 2 launched and the in-game lootbox store shitshow got rolling, people laid all blame on Activision despite those decisions having been made entirely by Bungie.

EA and Activision know people view them as the bad cop in the relationship, and it's in their best interest to continue acting as the lightning rod for criticism so long as people continue believing in the myth of the downtrodden underdog developer company and buying in.

LOL, the good ole 80/20 rule. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people. Rule holds true basically anywhere you work.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I have gotten four legendaries. They've each been the same thing, Papa Pump. Four Papa Pump shotguns...

mods change my name to Papa Pump tia

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Real talk though, Papa Pump is a pretty bad rear end name.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ive gotten quite a few actually. The frosty sniper that freezes enemies, the 200% floaty hand cannon. Machine pistol for infiltrator which is nice. Plus each one of my dudes is sporting at least one legendary gear item. But the rolls on many of them are pure poo poo. And thats where the problem lies, the loving inscriptions.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Peechka posted:

Ive gotten quite a few actually. The frosty sniper that freezes enemies, the 200% floaty hand cannon. Machine pistol for infiltrator which is nice. Plus each one of my dudes is sporting at least one legendary gear item. But the rolls on many of them are pure poo poo. And thats where the problem lies, the loving inscriptions.

I've played a Colossus the entire game. I haven't gotten a Colossus weapon drop past purple except a garbage grenade launcher. It's killing the game for me. I just want an autocannon to machine gun things

As of right now, any other class is better then my Colossus by virtue of the weapons.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Thread needs more car metaphors

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Real talk though, Papa Pump is a pretty bad rear end name.

You're drat right it is!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Anthem is a beat to poo poo rental car, it's pretty bland and has a lot of problems, but it's fun to bash around in for a while, and you'll quickly forget it after you're done with it

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Wheeee posted:

Anthem is a beat to poo poo rental car, it's pretty bland and has a lot of problems, but it's fun to bash around in for a while, and you'll quickly forget it after you're done with it

I didn't know your mom's name was rental car

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Fuzz posted:

Also the bike is still actually a lot of fun to ride right now, even though you fall down sometimes.

I think they only have subtitle and floaty text size options, but not UI unfortunately. Seems like a common thing, scaling UIs are often not a thing because they can break how things are displayed. Not an excuse for not figuring out a solution, mind you, just an explanation for why, as it's actually a decent amount of work to figure out a way to make it work vs just throwing a slider in the options menu.

After reading more about how lovely Frostbite is, I get the feeling that they spent the majority of their time actually getting the drat game to do what they were trying to make it do, while actually having the flight and movement and combat actually feel good instead of garbage. The engine is a huge part of the jank, methinks.

Every "why doesn't the game have this" question in this thread can basically be answered by either Frostbite being lovely, or Bioware not enough having time/people to figure out how to use it. Sure, they could've had a programmer make up a sheet where you could see your character's total stats, but instead they needed him crunching code to make the game run at 20 FPS on console instead of 15. They could've pulled someone aside and told him to take all the useless rolls out of the loot table, but instead probably put him to work trying to reduce the horrible loading times.

Destiny 2 was a complete, finished game; it just wasn't a very good one. Anthem is a great game that should've had another 6+ months of development time before it released.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I've played a Colossus the entire game. I haven't gotten a Colossus weapon drop past purple except a garbage grenade launcher. It's killing the game for me. I just want an autocannon to machine gun things

As of right now, any other class is better then my Colossus by virtue of the weapons.

I rarely use guns with colossus, dont get me wrong, I do use the autocannon, not the endless siege, the other one that has a smaller clip. But rarely. I use the good ole flamethrower and lightning coil setup +melee and +shield. The flamethrower is legendary, so is the lightning coil, flamethrower I think does extra dmg in stacks if you kill something with it, and legendary lightning coil makes a huge explosion if you hit 5 enemies with it. Plus I have about 100% elemental dmg on his gear too which helps. Still waiting for the endless siege to drop for me.

Hes basically a trash clearing powerhouse.

But I get where youre coming from, pretty much all classes of javs are pretty gear dependent. Like my ranger is like your colossus. Does not have poo poo for rolls on his stuff, and I really love his play style too. He needs to stack either blast or impact, depending on what skills you use, and I have not seen one loving item drop with either of those inscriptions yet.

This is why I think this game would be 90% better if they just fixed the inscriptions on masterwork and legendary to improve and make better the actual skill, rather than some other poo poo that has nothing to do with it.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 27, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How is The Bob Dylan of Video Games As A Service?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Harrow posted:

This is one of Jim Sterling's biggest weaknesses as a critic and commentator, too: his industry analysis seems to stop at "publishers bad" and he generally fails to recognize that the relationship between a publisher and studio isn't nearly that one-dimensional. (He also fails and/or refuses to understand things about the industry like why first-party games are monetized differently from third-party ones--God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Splatoon 2 don't lack microtransactions just because of their developers' benevolence, y'know.)

And that kind of thing spreads. It's certainly not just Jim Sterling saying these things, but he's one prominent example. I hope more people come to learn what you're talking about here about why games like this turn out the way they do. It's almost never because the big bad publisher swooped in and ruined the developers' pure vision. People latch onto examples like Dragon Age 2, where EA really did force it out the door way too early, but that's not really how things usually go.

Before anyone thinks I'm "defending" EA, I'm not. I'm saying that nobody in this publisher/studio relationship is "The Good Guy."

Am I weird for thinking DA2 was actually a good game? I mean, it had all of the worst Bioware tropes ever, but I thought the smaller scale story of Hawke just living life and accidentally becoming a hero was pretty different from all the other fantasy games at the point in time (which was all 'you are the CHOSEN ONE please save the entire cosmos from destruction).

Yeah, it had too many reused maps, the combat was meh, but it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Maybe I just have low standards, I dunno.

Peechka posted:

I rarely use guns with colossus, dont get me wrong, I do use the autocannon, not the endless siege, the other one that has a smaller clip. But rarely. I use the good ole flamethrower and lightning coil setup +melee and +shield. The flamethrower is legendary, so is the lightning coil, flamethrower I think does extra dmg in stacks if you kill something with it, and legendary lightning coil makes a huge explosion if you hit 5 enemies with it. Plus I have about 100% elemental dmg on his gear too which helps. Still waiting for the endless siege to drop for me.

But I get where youre coming from, pretty much all classes of javs are pretty gear dependent. Like my ranger is like your colossus. Does not have poo poo for rolls on his stuff, and I really love his play style too. He needs to stack either blast or impact, depending on what skills you use, and I have not seen one loving item drop with either of those inscriptions yet.

This is why I think this game would be 90% better if they just fixed the inscriptions on masterwork and legendary to improve and make better the actual skill, rather than some other poo poo that has nothing to do with it.

I dunno about GM2, but in GM1 I'm operating perfectly fine without any +blast or +impact on my gear (beyond equipping both MW components for a 30% boost). I run Ralner's Blaze and Siege Breaker to prime, and The Gambit and Avenger's Wrath to detonate. Completely single target, but really efficient at doing it.

I do have some scattered +physical and +gear damage on my stuff, that might be helping.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 27, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

If Anthem is the Fyre Festival of Videogames.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Zakmonster posted:

I dunno about GM2, but in GM1 I'm operating perfectly fine without any +blast or +impact on my gear (beyond equipping both MW components for a 30% boost). I run Ralner's Blaze and Siege Breaker to prime, and The Gambit and Avenger's Wrath to detonate. Completely single target, but really efficient at doing it.

I do have some scattered +physical and +gear damage on my stuff, that might be helping.

Well its not like I cant run GM1 with my ranger either, hes perfectly fine, except compared to the other classes hes a bit weak and too gear dependent. Ithink im using the blast grenade as well as the blast missile thingie. And I have stacked 50% masterwork blast along with the same one but epic that gives another 50% blast, both at the cost of impact, so my guns dont do poo poo. I wish I had that one Auto Rifle that does explosive dmg when you hit precision hits, I think that would work well with this build.

But yeah, hes perfectly fine and can play GM1 no problem, but imagine him having an extra 200% blast dmg from his gear, and also some cooldowns or extra charges.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zakmonster posted:

Am I weird for thinking DA2 was actually a good game? I mean, it had all of the worst Bioware tropes ever, but I thought the smaller scale story of Hawke just living life and accidentally becoming a hero was pretty different from all the other fantasy games at the point in time (which was all 'you are the CHOSEN ONE please save the entire cosmos from destruction).

Yeah, it had too many reused maps, the combat was meh, but it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Maybe I just have low standards, I dunno.

I think I'm extra harsh on DA2 because I thought it had a lot of really good ideas that just ended up not being executed well enough to shine and sorta ensured that no game like it is going to try something like that again for a long time. I loved the idea of the whole game taking place in and around a single city over the course of a decade, with at least part of the story having to do with the experience of being a refugee in that city with your family, and where your companions have lives of their own outside of adventuring with you. That's all extremely cool. I'd love another big RPG like that with a surprisingly small, human-scale story.

It's just that the reused maps, wave-based combat, and really clumsy execution of that story just soured the whole thing for me.

I feel like the game could've been a lot better if it had gotten a real development cycle. Ultimately I think the story would've hit a lot of the same beats and so I'd probably still dislike the way the ending suddenly tries to go all big and world-changing (and a lot of the other weird act 3 twists), but it would've been much better up to that point I think.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DA2 was the best Bioware game because it made for the best LP ever until it was assassinated by the coward games forums mods

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
EA should still take a lot of the blame for forcing all their dev teams to use the Frostbite engine. Bioware was using Unreal 3 for the Mass Effect(s) and Lycium for the Dragon Age(s) originally.

It's been obvious that Bioware lacks in the dev department and instead focuses more in art; with lovely netcode/engine optimization and beautiful level design respectively.

EA treats Bioware like Blizzard, expecting them to be able to handle every aspect of development when history has shown that Bioware is poo poo outside of the art department.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Tetrabor posted:

EA should still take a lot of the blame for forcing all their dev teams to use the Frostbite engine. Bioware was using Unreal 3 for the Mass Effect(s) and Lycium for the Dragon Age(s) originally.

It's been obvious that Bioware lacks in the dev department and instead focuses more in art; with lovely netcode/engine optimization and beautiful level design respectively.

EA treats Bioware like Blizzard, expecting them to be able to handle every aspect of development when history has shown that Bioware is poo poo outside of the art department.

Well I dont know how the games industry works, but I work at a multinational, multi billion dollar company with insane amount of divisions and when we need experts that we do not have, people are shifted around to compensate from dept to dept.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

How is Farcry 5 as far as coop is concerned? My friend and I melted through Anthem content and 100+ tyrant mine runs is not exactly appealing

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
FC5 is fun to dick around in but gets samey after a while too

You can still pretend to be a javelin because you can get a squirrel suit early on

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Peechka posted:

... but come on, this is still a multiplayer game that will have ladders in the future and poo poo, so no, people should not be allowed to exploit.

Before this game ever gets ladders it needs crutches to walk.

And if they introduce ladders without the season mechanism of Diablo that forces you to make a new characters, they deserve every single exploit players can find to be plastered all over the internet.

I get what you say but come on, at this point they should be happy someone is actually streaming about their game at all.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Hopper posted:

Before this game ever gets ladders it needs crutches to walk.

And if they introduce ladders without the season mechanism of Diablo that forces you to make a new characters, they deserve every single exploit players can find to be plastered all over the internet.

I get what you say but come on, at this point they should be happy someone is actually streaming about their game at all.

Yeah im sure they are super happy people streaming exploits, lol.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

Peechka posted:

Yeah im sure they are super happy people streaming exploits, lol.

At the rate this game is going, any free publicity that shows people playing and enjoying the game in any way shape or form is probably a W for EA and BioWare at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Peechka posted:

And to think this is only like the 3rd strongest colossus setup I know of. Only javelin that matters.