Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Topeka is a shithole, but the Indian restaurant downtown, just diagonal from the capital is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looking for recommendations for a long layover in Frankfurt.

I'll be there next Wednesday (20th). I land at 9am so can probably be in the city by 10am (no visa, no luggage). My flight leaves at 5pm so I can leave for the airport at 3pm, which gives me 5 hours.

Things I want:
Breakfast
Apfelwein
Grüne Soße
Handkäse

Suggestions?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Dammit, I can't remember the name of the place I went to there. It is a little out of town though so probably not that useful.

I'm off in holiday to Sevilla next weekend. Anyone got any recommendations there. Tending towards the cheaper/less formal end of things, but nowhere not considered.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Any recommendations for Houston, TX would be hugely appreciated. I'm there for work next week Friday and Saturday. Anything mexican-style and Texas barbeque would be amazing.

I'm staying in the downtown area and won't have a car so anything I can take a short taxi to (or walk) would be really nice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol if you're not eating some of the best Vietnamese food in the US when you're in Houston

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

lol if you're not eating some of the best Vietnamese food in the US when you're in Houston

I've never been in Texas to begin with, you tell me it has amazing Vietnamese I'll eat that too. Also I'm not from the US so I think Texas I think Mexican food and bbq.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'm too long gone from Houston to answer on Tex Mex at all. Gatlin's was always the best BBQ, but it's outside the loop. There are a handful of places listed on the top 50 if you want to check what's close to you. If I had money to burn, I'd hit the Tejas Chocolate Craftory out in Tomball. https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Going to be in downtown LA, near Skid Row, in a few weeks, for about 24 hours. Looking for brunch/lunch, light early dinner, and nightcap places.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm too long gone from Houston to answer on Tex Mex at all. Gatlin's was always the best BBQ, but it's outside the loop. There are a handful of places listed on the top 50 if you want to check what's close to you. If I had money to burn, I'd hit the Tejas Chocolate Craftory out in Tomball. https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Thanks for the link! I went to the Pit Room which was super delicious; the brisket and especially the chicarrones with hot sauce were amazing.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Nice! Glad that worked out for you. I'll have to mark that down for next time I'm back in Houston.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Is there a Paris thread? There's gotta be one - im phone posting and couldn't find one. In case there isn't, I am going to be there in June solo for work for a week. I dont plan on being in paris proper all that much since it is 15 km or so away from where I'm going to be working 12-16 hours a day.

I will make a point of making it in for at least one meal before or after the 5 days of lovely days. Is there any place I MUST go for a meal, in your opinion? Assuming I dont need to make a reservation 9 months in advance, of course.

Budget is, let's say, $500 for food and drink. That is easily more than I've spent on any meal in my life, but I may never make it back there, so gently caress it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Junior G-man posted:

Any recommendations for Houston, TX would be hugely appreciated. I'm there for work next week Friday and Saturday. Anything mexican-style and Texas barbeque would be amazing.

I'm staying in the downtown area and won't have a car so anything I can take a short taxi to (or walk) would be really nice.

drat, I'm sorry I missed this - I would have had a ton of suggestions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Going to be in San Diego for a conference this week, anything good to grab food by the convention center?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

iirc there's like 83 pho/viet joints down that way and while I haven't eaten all of em, I've eaten at quite a few and they've all been p dope

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Doing an overnight visit to Pittsburgh today and tomorrow, what's a good breakfast spot in the Strip and a good lunch spot in South Oakland?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Nephzinho posted:

Going to be in San Diego for a conference this week, anything good to grab food by the convention center?

Yeah sure. All the better stuff is a lil farther down in downtown if you don't mind taking a lyft or something (e scooter)

Walk down the Gaslamp. It's literally in front of the center. gently caress the Gaslamp. Expensive and garbage. Anyway, my suggestions would be:

Hodads for Burgers( 945 Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101) Just burgers Fries and Shakes. HYUGE.

Pokez Mexican food (947 E St, San Diego, CA 92101) lots of vegetarian options here if that's you're thing

Sushi2 (135 Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101) Cheap, yummy, and pretty good happy hours

Broken Yolk Cafe (355 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101) decent american breakfast

Lolitas (202 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101) every tourist comes here during comic-con. It's good, there's better in my opinion. It is just a short walk away from the Center tho.

If you want something familiar there's a Cheesecake Factory all the way down Harbor drive. Just walk out the center make a left and keep walking.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yeah sure. All the better stuff is a lil farther down in downtown if you don't mind taking a lyft or something (e scooter)

Walk down the Gaslamp. It's literally in front of the center. gently caress the Gaslamp. Expensive and garbage. Anyway, my suggestions would be:

Hodads for Burgers( 945 Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101) Just burgers Fries and Shakes. HYUGE.

Pokez Mexican food (947 E St, San Diego, CA 92101) lots of vegetarian options here if that's you're thing

Sushi2 (135 Broadway, San Diego, CA 92101) Cheap, yummy, and pretty good happy hours

Broken Yolk Cafe (355 Sixth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101) decent american breakfast

Lolitas (202 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101) every tourist comes here during comic-con. It's good, there's better in my opinion. It is just a short walk away from the Center tho.

If you want something familiar there's a Cheesecake Factory all the way down Harbor drive. Just walk out the center make a left and keep walking.

Thanks. I ended up getting food up in Carlsbad with friends on Tuesday, and haven't left the hotel since. Slipping out for food tonight, probably either going to sushi2 or Hodads.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up, Hodads has an "all you can eat special" for $99 buckos. No sharing. All the burgers and fries you can eat. They laugh when I ask about it :smith:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Just a heads up, Hodads has an "all you can eat special" for $99 buckos. No sharing. All the burgers and fries you can eat. They laugh when I ask about it :smith:

I ended up going to Hodads, I've had a lot of burgers the past few weeks since the weather turned and it was easily the best I've had of the season (outside the ones I made myself grilling in the rain, obviously). Thanks for the rec.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Another satisfied customer:discourse:

:rip: Mike "Bossman" Hardin

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

And Broken Yolk Cafe, oh drat. That was nice.

e; I really wanted to try the cinnamon roll pancakes but decided that it was not a wise thing to eat before getting on a plane.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 25, 2019

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Going to be in Montreal with for the F1 race with my not-very-adventurous father, staying in Le Plateau Mont Royal. Any recommendations for places that would be good and that will be possible to get into this weekend?

Moboe
Apr 13, 2014
I'm heading out to Seattle next week with some friends and will be staying in the Capitol Hill area. We are also doing a day trip to Victoria, Canada. Any restaurant/bar recommendations for both places?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Some stuff you can do without leaving Capitol Hill:
The Pine Box for beer. They are always pouring a large number of interesting beers. For European beers, try Quinn's.
Capitol Cider for cider. I think it's 100% gluten free if you care about that sort of thing.
Canon for ridiculous cocktails. It's worth visiting just to look at the Captain's List. For unpretentious bars, maybe try the area around Denny & Olive.
Cafe Presse for simple, delicious French food.
Dino's Tomato Pie for delicious pizza in a unique setting (think paper plates and Lambrusco on draft). Same owner as Delancey in Ballard.
Stateside for fancy-pants Asian food that won't make you feel like a sucker like a lot fancy Asian restaurants do (if you want non-fancy Asian food, take the streetcar down to 12th & Jackson or drive out to Edmonds or Bellevue).
Molly Moon's for ice cream, assuming the line doesn't go out the door and around the corner.
Bok a Bok for fried chicken.
Lil Woody's for Seattle's best cheap burgers or pretty good not-so-cheap burgers.
Dick's for delicious burgers after 10 PM (they don't taste as good unless it's late and you've had a few drinks first). Yes, that's where Sir Mix-a-lot's posse went.

I have fewer opinions about Victoria.
The Drake probably has the best selection of BC beer on the island.
Fishhook does local seafood with Indian flavors.
Pizzeria Prima Strada does great Neapolitan pizza.
Blue Fox is probably still the place to stand in line for brunch in Victoria.
If you want to do high tea, there are many choices that are cheaper than the Empress. Maybe try White Heather or even the restaurant at Butchart Gardens.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Was back in Baltimore recently. The Telltale in the Marriott Delta downtown is an incredibly surprising pleasure, with, somehow, the best crab soup I've had in the region. In a hotel restaurant. I know.

Tio Pepe's is also incredible, bearing its ~25-50$ entree price in mind. Best spanish food in the region, imo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Discendo Vox posted:

Was back in Baltimore recently. The Telltale in the Marriott Delta downtown is an incredibly surprising pleasure, with, somehow, the best crab soup I've had in the region. In a hotel restaurant. I know.

Tio Pepe's is also incredible, bearing its ~25-50$ entree price in mind. Best spanish food in the region, imo.

One of the best restaurants to open in DC in a while is in a hotel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You're entirely right. It's just weird to be back in the era of hotel restaurants being the top of the line.

vvvv also entirely correct.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 18, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I wouldn't go that far. It's just there are more exceptions to the rule in recent times.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Looked back a few pages and saw Michelin/high-end restaurants for Oslo, but any recs for just general good food/bars in Oslo and Bergen?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Looked back a few pages and saw Michelin/high-end restaurants for Oslo, but any recs for just general good food/bars in Oslo and Bergen?

I was just in Oslo a little bit ago!

All my favorites are on here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1V-xp290Ubu9ufevtg2M9549ZNviuqAth&ll=41.890397897333045%2C-87.61858841622774&z=17

Hinoki is absolutely worth the train ride to Lillestrøm, btw.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I was in Bergen last year and thought Pingvinen was pretty good.

Anyone have suggestions for Anchorage? Or possibly on the highway between there and Denali?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Headed to both LA and then Vancouver for a week each next month and would love some recommendations. I'm into pretty much everything at all price ranges. I love unmarked taco places in dying strip malls, or hip new Michelin bait. Coming from Austin, so the hardest things for me to get where I live are probably great seafood and ramen, so recs for those would be extra appreciated.

Thanks!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doom Rooster posted:

Headed to both LA and then Vancouver for a week each next month and would love some recommendations. I'm into pretty much everything at all price ranges. I love unmarked taco places in dying strip malls, or hip new Michelin bait. Coming from Austin, so the hardest things for me to get where I live are probably great seafood and ramen, so recs for those would be extra appreciated.

Thanks!

I was in Downtown LA a few months ago, and they have this big indoor emporium called the Grand Central Market with many options. I really enjoyed the Thai place, I think it was called Sticky Rice.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Doom Rooster posted:

Some great food cities, these two.

For LA my personal favorites:
Half & Half bubble tea - there are locations all over, it's blown up within the past few years but still the best milk tea/bubble tea I've had, period (including US, China, Japan, Thailand).
Xi'an Kitchen - great authentic Xi'an Chinese food. Get some noodles and some "Chinese hamburgers" or whatever they call them in English (or just ask for 肉夹馍 roujiamo). I always have to stop here when we're in town.
Chengdu Taste - for more Sichuan style authentic Chinese food.
Mashti Malone's - Persian ice cream, so delicious.
BADMAASH - gastropub with an Indian twist.
Sea Empress Seafood or Seafood Palace - bomb dim sum.
Duck House for Peking duck.
Class 302 - cute Taiwanese cafe, good place to hang out and munch on snacks/drunk food. Also open relatively late.
Shin-Sen-Gumi - good yakitori place (but not cheap).
President Square food court used to have a good ramen place but that's now closed, but might still be a good spot to find a cheaper bite to eat. I remember they had tons of different noodle places.
85C Bakery for Taiwanese pastries. Great stop for a quick breakfast.
Along that same line, Oh My Pan has a good brick toast.

For Vancouver (I haven't visited all of these but they're on my to-try list):
Hokkaido Ramen Santouka - best ramen I've had in the US so far.
Thai: Sawasdee Thai, Maenam, Longtail Kitchen
Malaysian: Laksa King, Penang Delight Cafe
Amay's House for Burmese
Cafe Kathmandu for Nepalese
Indian: Vij's, House of Dosas, Sachdeva Sweets for Indian sweets
New Town Bakery & Restaurant for Chinese pastries

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Indian Wok is good in Vancouver if you want to try Indian Chinese fusion foods. The butter chicken and hot and spicy paneer were amazing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

Some great food cities, these two.

For LA my personal favorites:
Half & Half bubble tea - there are locations all over, it's blown up within the past few years but still the best milk tea/bubble tea I've had, period (including US, China, Japan, Thailand).
Xi'an Kitchen - great authentic Xi'an Chinese food. Get some noodles and some "Chinese hamburgers" or whatever they call them in English (or just ask for 肉夹馍 roujiamo). I always have to stop here when we're in town.
Chengdu Taste - for more Sichuan style authentic Chinese food.
Mashti Malone's - Persian ice cream, so delicious.
BADMAASH - gastropub with an Indian twist.
Sea Empress Seafood or Seafood Palace - bomb dim sum.
Duck House for Peking duck.
Class 302 - cute Taiwanese cafe, good place to hang out and munch on snacks/drunk food. Also open relatively late.
Shin-Sen-Gumi - good yakitori place (but not cheap).
President Square food court used to have a good ramen place but that's now closed, but might still be a good spot to find a cheaper bite to eat. I remember they had tons of different noodle places.
85C Bakery for Taiwanese pastries. Great stop for a quick breakfast.
Along that same line, Oh My Pan has a good brick toast.

For Vancouver (I haven't visited all of these but they're on my to-try list):
Hokkaido Ramen Santouka - best ramen I've had in the US so far.
Thai: Sawasdee Thai, Maenam, Longtail Kitchen
Malaysian: Laksa King, Penang Delight Cafe
Amay's House for Burmese
Cafe Kathmandu for Nepalese
Indian: Vij's, House of Dosas, Sachdeva Sweets for Indian sweets
New Town Bakery & Restaurant for Chinese pastries

Thanks for these. Definitely going back to Santouka. The last time I was in Vancouver I went there 3 times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was in Downtown LA a few months ago, and they have this big indoor emporium called the Grand Central Market with many options. I really enjoyed the Thai place, I think it was called Sticky Rice.

Definitely gonna do that.

The Aardvark posted:

Indian Wok is good in Vancouver if you want to try Indian Chinese fusion foods. The butter chicken and hot and spicy paneer were amazing.

Annnd this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'd love to hear some recommendations for Charleston, South Carolina.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

Husk of course, if you can get in, but I think FIG is almost as good. Jestine’s Kitchen for some legit down-home southern cooking.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

If you like beer, Edmund’s Oast Brewing. Either of their locations have awesome food and killer beer. The breakfast at Butcher and Bee is also excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Discendo Vox posted:

A slightly updated list I have based on what folks have been saying about Charleston food (haven't visited in a while myself):
The Ordinary
Fig
Callie's Biscuits
Xiao Bao Biscuit
Early Bird Diner (chicken and waffles) (I need to hit this place up every time I visit)
HoM (burgers)
Magnolia's
Seafood: 167 Raw, Coast, Fleets Landing
Blossom
Husk
Saffron on East Bay downtown for coffee and desserts
Shi Ki (sushi)
BBQ: Lewis for brisket, Rodney Scott's for ribs, Home Team for their wings, Swig & Swine for general BBQ
Pages Okra Grill
Toast (breakfast)
Grits & Grace