Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol they should put up an oldschool Spectrum flashing border and load tone sound for times that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLy9_jkqxzc

Not to be all kids these days but *nearly five minutes* :o:

edit: that’s for loading 48 kilobytes of data, someone else can math up what Anthem is loading to memory in a minute.
Commodore 64 had loader music on many of the cassette games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZD7Xw-z74

(warning: many flashing colors)

I don't know if Spectrum games did that on the later models of the system which actually had half-decent sound hardware, but on the C64 it was quite common. Anyway, my point is that publishers should hire Jeroen Tel to compose loader themes for their games nowadays, or just start every game with the themes from Cybernoid and Cybernoid II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Am I thinking of something else, or did someone copyright/patent/whatever the concept of playing a minigame during loading times? I remember some Speccy games would load in a basic version of Pac-man or something you could play in the couple of minutes the main game was loading.

Dan Dare freaking ruled, by the way. One of the first games I ever completed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Am I thinking of something else, or did someone copyright/patent/whatever the concept of playing a minigame during loading times? I remember some Speccy games would load in a basic version of Pac-man or something you could play in the couple of minutes the main game was loading.

Namco.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I wish the music in Sunset Overdrive would play more often. Doing all this Tony Hawk style movement without the punk soundtrack constantly blaring feels wrong.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

I think this post needs a bit of a primer on how bad Anthem's loading times are. Because everyone who hasn't looked has read this and is thinking 'it can't be as bad as' and I need to show them.

https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1098409197773848576

It's worse

The AngryJoeShow guy tweeted that as he was editing his review of Anthem, he noticed that in one section he cut 5 minutes of load times from raw video and was left with 4 minutes of gameplay footage

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have an M.2 with read/write speeds measured in gigabytes and sometimes anthem takes 45 seconds to load the world.

Having randoms in the group seems to make it take a lot longer, even though it doesn’t actually wait for everyone to finish loading before it spawns you in, so it can’t just be a guy running the game on a tape drive doing it. The game is doing something very weird and probably network-related in this loading screens, since they revealed that the infinite loading screens you could get in the demos were network related. Connection issues also apparently caused you to involuntarily DDOS them by endlessly spamming them with requests to reconnect.

Even now, you can still get endless loading screens. On story missions with 5 minute unskippable cutscenes which you’ll have to redo after the infinite load forces you to alt-f4.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'd be pleased as punch if I'm just missing something, but I'm getting annoyed with capturing Pokemon in Pokemon Go and Pokemon Let's Go as I keep going.

Specifically, the lack of feedback/nuance as to why a capture failed is annoying me. Like, in the Old Days I could shrug and point to the fact that I didn't deal enough damage to a monster, or didn't paralyze it, whatever. Now, it feels like anything below Grand Balls (or whatever they are called) are pointless. Sure, I throw berries around like I'm some sort of lonely Stardew Valley farmer looking for a friend, but it doesn't feel like it works regularly.

(amusingly enough, I otherwise love that I can just catch Pokemon and not have to battle for captures, except all of ^^^ that.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I'd be pleased as punch if I'm just missing something, but I'm getting annoyed with capturing Pokemon in Pokemon Go and Pokemon Let's Go as I keep going.

Specifically, the lack of feedback/nuance as to why a capture failed is annoying me. Like, in the Old Days I could shrug and point to the fact that I didn't deal enough damage to a monster, or didn't paralyze it, whatever. Now, it feels like anything below Grand Balls (or whatever they are called) are pointless. Sure, I throw berries around like I'm some sort of lonely Stardew Valley farmer looking for a friend, but it doesn't feel like it works regularly.

(amusingly enough, I otherwise love that I can just catch Pokemon and not have to battle for captures, except all of ^^^ that.)
Neither of them are very good or deep games, and there is no nuance or feedback. Honestly you'll be happier just getting a 3DS and some actual Pokemon games.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is fantastic, but the second dungeon, the tree, isn't a great time.

Visually it's a beautiful black/white dendritic design with rainbow colors peeking in through the gaps, but it's also a plodding, non linear journey through brain-dead puzzles across rooms that, while beautiful, just aren't visually distinct from one another. It took me 2-3 hours hoofing back and forth through the dungeon and I still don't have a good mental map of where everything was located. Just generally confusing and not at all fun.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fuckers. I was going to say I'd boycott them, but apparently I've been inadvertantly doing that for the last seventeen years.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean, it's expired now. I think Splatoon was the first major game to use it outside of Namco.

But it's still on developers to actually realize loading screens are enough of an issue to implement something to do in them, and I don't know if western AAA game dev has considered that as a whole yet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Loading Screens are almost a relic nowadays, barring Anthem. A loading-screen in a good game released today is short enough that you don't get enough consecutive time to realise you're wasting your life.

Resident Evil 2 only loads when booting up a save.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
On this note, however, are "loading screen tips that flash by so quickly you'll never know what they said".

Remember what the loading screen said, if you ever get into trouble, all you have to do is---

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Honestly you'll be happier just getting a 3DS and some actual Pokemon games.

Nah, I'd be kvetching about the complexity, because (and I've said this before) I get low key annoyed having to Do Battles over and over again, even for capturing stuff.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm playing the original Silent Hill and the infamous Zodiac Puzzle had me stumped, I looked up the solution (I hate looking up answers to puzzles so I have to be seriously lost or frustrated) and still couldn't understand. I didn't realise that there is a keypad under each zodiac sign, not just the one in the middle. I know it's an ancient game on even older hardware but that could have been a bit more obvious and I might have had a shot.

I had to look up the answer to the Grim Reaper puzzle too, that one was kind of bullshit since there isn't really anything to tell you that it's the first initial of the first names specifically, it's not like the solution (ALERT) is a meaningful acronym in-universe, either. I also had to look up the moving cabinet in the shop, which was annoying since I did try to inspect it but didn't rub my face up against it just right, so I assumed it was just a prop. Had a similar problem with a certain object in the Cybil fight.

That said, when reading what people struggled with, I was surprised to see the piano keys puzzle mentioned so often, I thought the basic premise was obvious. Weird how some people see things others just don't and vice versa.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm finally getting around to Resident Evil 6 as (I think) the only major one I haven't played after 4. I know there's many bigger things I could complain about but I'm irrationally bothered that they moved all the options settings to the opening screens, with a tiny "PAUSED" being literally the only thing on the pause screen in-game. Figure out you need to change your brightness or you picked an unfun control setting? Too bad, enjoy this long-rear end level before you can change anything!
I have no idea how I'll feel about the game overall, but at least this is outweighed by Leon's campaign sorta feeling like a loose RE2 reimagining but with the action craziness and number of zombies ramped up to 11. This is the absurd melee system I've wanted forever, where it's viable just to dash like crazy through most of the levels, body checking zombies then transitioning seamlessly into tearing them to shreds with your new kung fu/stompy powers
:gibs: :dogcited: :zombie:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Feb 26, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
You can bring up settings through the in-game menus for some dumb reason I think?

If you’re enjoying the melee though you’re off to the best possible start you can hope for. Only major warning is the game is waaaaay too long.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dewgy posted:

You can bring up settings through the in-game menus for some dumb reason I think?

If you’re enjoying the melee though you’re off to the best possible start you can hope for. Only major warning is the game is waaaaay too long.

Thanks, the settings could very well be in there somewhere but I sure can't find them, and google's not much of a help.

But yeah, I mainly started it to finally tick it off the list and was expecting generally bad things, so if it being too long is the worst offense I'm in good shape. If nothing else, some solid laughs running around spin-kicking zambies is more than I was counting on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Loading Screens are almost a relic nowadays, barring Anthem. A loading-screen in a good game released today is short enough that you don't get enough consecutive time to realise you're wasting your life.

Resident Evil 2 only loads when booting up a save.

Yeah. I have an SSD and a good processor and all that, but even if you don't I imagine loading screens are hardly ever an issue these days. Anthem would be a no-buy just for that reason, ain't nobody got time for that

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The Ghostwood bullshit in West of Loathing is absolutely loving intolerable. It's tedious bureaucratic nonsense that's neither fun nor witty, and it takes entirely way too long. I'd rather smash my hand in a filing cabinet than play one more minute of that garbage.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah. I have an SSD and a good processor and all that, but even if you don't I imagine loading screens are hardly ever an issue these days. Anthem would be a no-buy just for that reason, ain't nobody got time for that

There's like 100 million console owners who don't have an ssd or a good processor and loading times still very much exist.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

There's like 100 million console owners who don't have an ssd or a good processor and loading times still very much exist.

I feel bad for them

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inco posted:

The Ghostwood bullshit in West of Loathing is absolutely loving intolerable. It's tedious bureaucratic nonsense that's neither fun nor witty, and it takes entirely way too long. I'd rather smash my hand in a filing cabinet than play one more minute of that garbage.

thats the joke

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

West of Loathing is one of those games that people keep telling me is good but then I look at it and I'm certain they're playing a joke on me

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BattleMaster posted:

West of Loathing is one of those games that people keep telling me is good but then I look at it and I'm certain they're playing a joke on me

its a mostly text-based adventure game with light rpg elements, think hylics but stickmen instead of a puke-inducing aesthetic. It's really fun, and the new dlc is pretty good too. the best way to get the "joke" behind the premise of the game is if you've ever played Kingdom of Loathing.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BattleMaster posted:

I did very much enjoy the game leading up to this point. The writing was good, and it feels a lot like a Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker film at points. The gameplay isn't the most original, but it's decent. This part is just AWFUL. It's completely killed any enthusiasm I had for the game.

edit: To continue the ZAZ comparison, it's like if the scene in Airplane! where Robert Stack is walking through the airport and getting accosted by religious solicitors, except after the first two evangelists the scene proceeds for another hour of Stack just walking without interruption.

Inco has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Feb 27, 2019

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

BattleMaster posted:

It is a fantastically well-written game and a surprisingly enjoyable rpg

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess I'll grab it on sale some time because I don't think I've seen a single negative take on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thanks, the settings could very well be in there somewhere but I sure can't find them, and google's not much of a help.
Finally found it! Turns out it's accessible via the controller touchpad, the underused input I generally forget even exists :shrug:

Inco posted:

I did very much enjoy the game leading up to this point. The writing was good, and it feels a lot like a Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker film at points. The gameplay isn't the most original, but it's decent. This part is just AWFUL. It's completely killed any enthusiasm I had for the game.

edit: To continue the ZAZ comparison, it's like if the scene in Airplane! where Robert Stack is walking through the airport and getting accosted by religious solicitors, except after the first two evangelists the scene proceeds for another hour of Stack just walking without interruption.

I can believe it, I played Kingdom of Loathing for quite a while and pretty much [i]loved[i] the humor but was eventually turned off grindiness of the gameplay at some particular points. I heard about this game when it came out and was still kinda angry at the original so I never checked it out.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
e:reading comprehension

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've been super hesitant to pull the trigger on WoL because I use so much third party stuff in KoL (stuff that speeds things up, qol improvements, etc) that I'm not sure I'd enjoy a kinda similar game without them.

It's not the most rational issue, I get it, but it's the truth.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

MisterBibs posted:

I've been super hesitant to pull the trigger on WoL because I use so much third party stuff in KoL (stuff that speeds things up, qol improvements, etc) that I'm not sure I'd enjoy a kinda similar game without them.

It's not the most rational issue, I get it, but it's the truth.

It's really not similar at all in terms of moment to moment gameplay, just that they have the same writing and world. WoL is much faster paced and designed around being a single player RPG instead of a daily MMOish browser RPG

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Riatsala posted:

It's really not similar at all in terms of moment to moment gameplay, just that they have the same writing and world. WoL is much faster paced and designed around being a single player RPG instead of a daily MMOish browser RPG

yeah, WoL is KoL minus a lot of the annoying trappings of giant browser RPGs that lead you to need third party add-ons in the first place

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man this sewer boss in RE2 just isn't fun at all.

And it has one of those condescending load screen tips "try not to get stuck in your own trap"

gently caress you game.

Edit: the ol "complain about it online" got it the very next attempt

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

And it has one of those condescending load screen tips "try not to get stuck in your own trap"

LOL, Sticker Star was the worst at this kind of thing, not only did it have unhelpful tips, there was a whole series of patronizing messages for when you won but you didn't win good enough. "Wow, you somehow managed to win but you sure did waste some time and stickers doing so" Like sure, game, try not tanking your franchise into a boring slog and maybe I'll actually put in some effort.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sticker Star, that game gets a lot of poo poo. It's an RPG where there's no reward for fighting monsters? It's an RPG with no original characters, and it's set in a bog-standard series of Mario worlds? The must have been intentionally trolling. Similarly I hear Just Cause 4 is supposed to be bad for many reasons, chief among them is that destruction is not the focus of the game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sticker Star, that game gets a lot of poo poo. It's an RPG where there's no reward for fighting monsters? It's an RPG with no original characters, and it's set in a bog-standard series of Mario worlds? The must have been intentionally trolling. Similarly I hear Just Cause 4 is supposed to be bad for many reasons, chief among them is that destruction is not the focus of the game.

The tornadoes do it for you

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

spit on my clit posted:

The tornadoes do it for you

I could just burst into tears.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sticker Star, that game gets a lot of poo poo. It's an RPG where there's no reward for fighting monsters? It's an RPG with no original characters, and it's set in a bog-standard series of Mario worlds? The must have been intentionally trolling.

You really have to wonder. It's maybe the most aggravating game I've played in its own way because the writing and production is actually pretty great, but the gulf between that and the actual gameplay is just astounding. I'm still angry years later at my realization that, for big chunks of the game, the battles (i.e. the foundation of the game) are literally a net resource drain and a waste of time. Between that and the obtuse ways in how it handles sticker mechanics for area puzzles and bosses, it really does feel like a troll by unhappy developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

LOL, Sticker Star was the worst at this kind of thing, not only did it have unhelpful tips, there was a whole series of patronizing messages for when you won but you didn't win good enough. "Wow, you somehow managed to win but you sure did waste some time and stickers doing so" Like sure, game, try not tanking your franchise into a boring slog and maybe I'll actually put in some effort.

The absolutely most devastating put down any game has ever done is Rhythm Heaven where you bust your hands off trying to get the drat thing to work and if you succeed it still tells you "That was...Just Ok."