Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

is witch the only class worth playing?

I think 802.11 weed summed it up pretty well.

Scion has Slayer Leech and a lot of builds ignore Slayer completely in favor of Scion.
Scion has powerful Abyss Jewel abuse from the starting and surrounding areas, or Unique Jewel abuse in the starting areas, or a mix of both.

Marauder has Juggernaut which is still one of the safest no-questions-asked ascendancies in the game. Chieftain is still used by some builds and has more than one niche, usually with builds that you don't normally think about anymore. Berserker uhhh has a recent Mathil video. :v:

Ranger has both Deadeye and Raider which can be used effectively for some speed/farming builds although yeah there's Pathfinder. Pathfinder is generally regarded as pretty powerful.

Other than that, of the current ascendancies no one cares for, I >think< Champion could be an interesting choice for a duo, it in many ways act like an in-between between solo and aurabot, almost like a party juggernaut but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I just don't feel like it can come even closer to a dedicated Templar, Scion or Witch spec. So it kinda feels like something that could be useful if you want to play a melee champion with a friend and have them boost each other a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Champion war chief totems is a no brainer league starter.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think it's exaggerating with pointing out duelist has an issue when Slayer is just overshadowed by Scion (for reasons discussed above). Champion is all around great. Gladiator feels a smidge niche (it's also became an amazing Herald of Agony ascendency) and the knee-jerk revulsion to the block changes makes it look lesser when it's still strong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think we - or me at least- get swayed by Poe ninja numbers which aren’t always a great window.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

That's the thing, Consecrated Path is my movement skill, but it also triggers Fortify, Culling Strike, two Firestorms, Ball Lightning, Bladefall, Blade Vortex, perm Immortal Call, and pumps my Herald of Agony to max stacks. My PC can handle more spells, but the servers can't.

The only other manually usable skills I have are Leap Slam when I need to cross a gap and there's no enemies on the other side to Path teleport to, and Vaal Molten Shell which literally deals damage as fast as the server can process it, a.k.a. the "erase bosses and immortals button". My VMS has 100% ignite, each hit on an enemy deals physical damage to me through Rat Cage which triggers another VMS proc, so it's technically infinity DPS but I think the servers will only do something like 15-30 procs a second.

This is easily the best one-button build I've had since PP VD Indigon, and I heard they nerfed Indigon to some extent now. Did they nerf Volatile Dead too? Always seemed OP with how it used Volatile Blood AI to seek out enemies even through mazes, and how you could frontload damage by having the orbs floating around before engaging a boss.

VMS does not trigger itself. It's a lot of damage but not infinite.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah my impression is that at the very least Champion is good for the warchief totem lab farmer and Double Strike stuff. Gladiator seems to be pretty strong but just not particularly popular. Mathil just did a double strike gladiator and I'm not sure it would be a ton better on Champion.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

That's the thing, Consecrated Path is my movement skill, but it also triggers Fortify, Culling Strike, two Firestorms, Ball Lightning, Bladefall, Blade Vortex, perm Immortal Call, and pumps my Herald of Agony to max stacks. My PC can handle more spells, but the servers can't.

The only other manually usable skills I have are Leap Slam when I need to cross a gap and there's no enemies on the other side to Path teleport to, and Vaal Molten Shell which literally deals damage as fast as the server can process it, a.k.a. the "erase bosses and immortals button". My VMS has 100% ignite, each hit on an enemy deals physical damage to me through Rat Cage which triggers another VMS proc, so it's technically infinity DPS but I think the servers will only do something like 15-30 procs a second.

This is easily the best one-button build I've had since PP VD Indigon, and I heard they nerfed Indigon to some extent now. Did they nerf Volatile Dead too? Always seemed OP with how it used Volatile Blood AI to seek out enemies even through mazes, and how you could frontload damage by having the orbs floating around before engaging a boss.

Whoa what build is this o_o

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zmej posted:

I think it's exaggerating with pointing out duelist has an issue when Slayer is just overshadowed by Scion (for reasons discussed above).

I feel like Raider has the same issue where Scion stacking meeks is just straight up better. I guess Raider still has the racecar niche though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

whalestory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyV0kIp5n4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRHRzhRelQ

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Ah gently caress never mind I should've known

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1100869825553825792?s=21

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
The new Divine Ire skill makes me think of those anime guns that suck up shiny particles before shooting a giant laser beam.

I think my next character is gonna be a Scion named WaveMotionCarol.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: at making an obliteration div card in 2019.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2332007

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Imma stick wave of conviction or purifying flame in a mine and see what happens

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alone in the Darkness card should have ended with

Signed: "Lefty"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVIL Gibson posted:

witch is the quickest character voice i turn off because its like mary poppins telling me how she will not, would not, could not, and perish the thought she cast something without mana.

repeatedly.

For me that is the Scion, because I cannot stand her attack noises.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Any hot tips for new league starter build? Right now I'm coming to the realization that game is now hard in Act 4 and I have no idea how to start getting good loots because there are a million shiny new mechanics that have me frozen in fear and I just hoard everything thinking I don't want to waste this stuff and find out that it's super important in end game. I take it league starters are centered around the idea of not being loot dependent. Back in my day we farmed lovely maps and liked it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Any hot tips for new league starter build? Right now I'm coming to the realization that game is now hard in Act 4 and I have no idea how to start getting good loots because there are a million shiny new mechanics that have me frozen in fear and I just hoard everything thinking I don't want to waste this stuff and find out that it's super important in end game. I take it league starters are centered around the idea of not being loot dependent. Back in my day we farmed lovely maps and liked it.

Hierophant arc totems. Literally no uniques required. Maybe essence worm if you want to get fancy.

Also elementalist storm brand. You want to maybe get a mark of submission ring for warlords mark. That’s it.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Every spell in the game is getting a balance pass this patch so no one can tell until the patch notes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think he’s playing right now tho.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

I think he’s playing right now tho.

"New league starter build"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the league he's starting is cultural touchstone "a league of their own", starring jon lovitz, on a second monitor

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do they really do such drastic balancing changes with patches?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They usually do a few revisions each league, with the occasional major overhaul.

The last major one was the ascendancy revamp which pretty much universally made every ascendancy better (though some better than others)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

not always but hand casting :awesome: has needed some love for awhile

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Now is the time for dual strike to be meta

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's usually enough balance changes that you're best served waiting for the patch notes before choosing your build because a build-enabling unique or notable might get nerfed, or an interaction changed, but for this patch in particular they've said that almost every single spell is getting a balance pass and some are changing mechanics entirely.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

If you want something that may not get a rebalance but is a good league starter, ranger with rain of arrows or toxic rain will probably still be strong. You can check the builds section of the official site for something that catches your fancy

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was thinking about scourge arrow scion this time. It has been a long time since I've played a bow character though, and I know that it can get super expensive. Is it functional as a starter while building into the full set of gear, or should I maybe consider it as a second character after I've farmed some currency?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

VMS does not trigger itself. It's a lot of damage but not infinite.

Ah okay, I see that now after watching that second video. It certainly feels like infinite damage in all my use cases so far, lol

remember
Nov 23, 2006
All of the popular league starter lab farmers should be untouched also because all of them are attack based builds, but then you have to farm lab which isn't for everyone. Barring some sort of insane patch notes, I'll probably be going for a tankier champion double strike build as my starter to farm lab.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was thinking about scourge arrow scion this time. It has been a long time since I've played a bow character though, and I know that it can get super expensive. Is it functional as a starter while building into the full set of gear, or should I maybe consider it as a second character after I've farmed some currency?

I did a ssf hc scourge arrow build last league and really liked it, except for doors, the greatest foe of all. I couldn’t consistently get the hang of threading that skill through narrow entrances and shelved that character due to my annoyance and being bad at this game

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

Reinforcing what Clockwerk said, I did an SSF make-it-up-as-you-go scourge arrow pathfinder focusing on poison and got to roughly t13 maps before I got bored and swapped to a different character and I'm no expert so it probably works fine! I've also heard it is good for elemental conversion if that is more to your taste. As said, however, it can be frustrating to use in tight corridors so if that kind of annoyance sounds bad for you I'd choose a different skill.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I played a scourge arrow hopeshredder build with hh and farruls fur and didn't like it at all / didn't find it worth the hype

not even counting the awful doorway mechanics

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a pass then. I'll probably either start with the warchief champion for lab farming, which I've done several times, or try out some of the new spells with occultist. I know that the lab farmer is the better idea for cash, but new stuff is always more appealing.

Balls to the wall lab farming for a few days has never failed to set me up with currency, but man is it soul killing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't like scourge arrow hopeshredder either for what is worth.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

I love scourge arrow but I never use a scion as my league starter. without might of the meek, twink gear, and waiting till your 2nd lab for your real first ascendancy node, leveling is extremely painful. scourge arrow tends to be a money sink build, because you either get juicy abyss jewels or you do dex stacking (which is what I did). I think crafting the bow for dex stacking took me about 7ex (with a minor gently caress-up).

for league starters, wait for patch notes but generally an ascendancy that easily leans on MoM will be a smooth starter, or totems, or brands will take you far with plastic bag gear until you have some good money. also, it looks like divine ire will play similar to scourge arrow so that might be a nice choice for you as a starter.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is MoM considered so good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Addamere posted:

why is MoM considered so good

2000 HP is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

whalestory posted:

To be exact, here's my PoB:

https://pastebin.com/FraasjUc

I had started off as just a normal RF Jugg modified with a Perma Immortal Cry setup, then I read up on someone's "Lazy Walker" build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2210964 and morphed my build towards that around level 70.

Lazy Walker which is a variation of the build you saw in the previous videos, but it stacks poison procs in order to have a fully buffed Herald of Agony crawler out. The Crawler one-shots packs which makes it the missing link to the build (you had incredible survivability and boss/unique DPS, but the triggered spam spells couldn't gib packs reliably).

If anyone knows a tankier, lazier, faster clearing build (without needing 100 exalts like Coming Calamity autobombers seem to) then I'm genuinely interested. But this thing is actually tankier than stock RF Jugg which is already blowing my mind.

Bugsy posted:

:lol: at making an obliteration div card in 2019.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2332007

Hey, the most recent video in this thread uses two Obliterations! It's making a comeback!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 28, 2019