Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

House Of Leaves? More like Heaps Of Footnotes hahaha.

I have the black and white paperback version I read once and the best I can recall of it is guy going crazy transcribing notes of a guy going crazy transcribing a home video of a hallway going crazy.

It's been a while but I think that's the gist of it. It's interesting.

lmao it's even more complicated than that and it owns

it's a guy going crazy transcribing notes of an old man writing a scholarly paper, with in-universe fictional citations, about an in-universe fictional home video of a hallway going crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DoctorWhat posted:

I wrote a research paper on House of Leaves and god do I love how it refuses to obey stuff like "canon". It's nestled layers of fiction, none of which hold up under CinemaSins-style scrutiny but all of which are brilliant and maintain the themes of uncertainty, loss, and parenthood. s real good.

If Night Mind fucks up and tries to "explain" the plot like a puzzle-box he's gonna ruin it for so many impressionable people.

This will be interesting to watch then.
I think he does good analysis, like the don't hug me I'm scared vid had some good stuff in it despite the bad skit but he does love his puzzle boxes.

There's already some videos to watch.
The other day some channel I never remember subscribing to called "pelican black" had some weird arg looking videos including cutting a dollhouse open. Turns out that WAS night mind tv where he had just unloaded all his favorite Rob zombie songs for Halloween but it's now something related to this project.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 28, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
House of Leaves isn't even that complicated if you read it, like, why does it need an explanatory video

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
there is no meaning, only Lore

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This makes me wish I had time these days to reread House of Leaves for the fourth or fifth time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More like House of :frogleave:s

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I looked up a bit about House of Leaves knowing nothing about it and it seems like extremely my poo poo. It has been a while since I cracked open a good book...

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

House of Leaves isn't even that complicated if you read it, like, why does it need an explanatory video

To be fair to Night Mind, his videos offer several things:

1) Exposure for stuff that someone might be into but they haven't heard of/gotten around to

2) Giving a basic rundown for someone who might be into the thing but didn't want to spent the time and energy getting into it in case it sucks like 99% of horror (or in case it went somewhere they weren't into)

3) Explaining things for people who are either super unfamiliar with exploring deeper themes or are just kinda not bright.

That last one is of slightly questionable value, because he gets really into his own pet ideas and has trouble with the idea of "maybe the weird poo poo ISN'T meant to be a particular story, maybe it's just weird poo poo for thematic reasons or just for the fun of it," but I guess anything that gets someone thinking a bit is better than nothing. Though I wish people followed Nightmare Masterclass instead, since he's actually educated in and good at literary analysis and critique (and is even trying to help educate people on it with some of his videos) but then he doesn't have a kooky voice and spoopy fursona and doesn't bother with skits so...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Puppy Time posted:

Nightmare Masterclass

Haven't seen any of his stuff before, but I have watched a decent chunk of Inside A Mind and Nexpo recently, and kinda enjoy both more than Nick's more recent work. Definitely gonna give this a look-over when I get the chance now too.

I'll honestly give Inside A Mind a bonus edge over most of the others for having all his videos be ~20-30 minutes at most, except the one that was an April Fool's joke to begin with. Even if a particular thing doesn't click with you, it doesn't really spend forever getting to the point and there's no random time-consuming asides either.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Haven't seen any of his stuff before, but I have watched a decent chunk of Inside A Mind and Nexpo recently, and kinda enjoy both more than Nick's more recent work. Definitely gonna give this a look-over when I get the chance now too.

I'll honestly give Inside A Mind a bonus edge over most of the others for having all his videos be ~20-30 minutes at most, except the one that was an April Fool's joke to begin with. Even if a particular thing doesn't click with you, it doesn't really spend forever getting to the point and there's no random time-consuming asides either.

You'll probably like him, then, since other than his streams and some early stuff, he's mostly under 30 minutes as well. Here's the channel.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't know if I'll watch the videos but I forgot House of Leaves existed and have never read it so I used that promo vid as an excuse to buy it. I like Nexpo & Nightmare Masterclass more than Nick at this point, mostly because I've never been able to get used to Nick's voice.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I like Night Mind for being willing to go through stuff like the five hundred Slenderman spinoffs, or all the ancillary material for This House Has People In It, and give you at least enough of a summary to form a theory of your own. I like him less when he decides to say "and I can't even summarise this next part!" and then just drops a 15 minute clip into his own video.

Still, I think a (spooky blue text) House of Leaves video series is great material. I enjoyed reading through the book just because the framing was so novel, but I enjoyed it even more when I looked up some discussion online. There's a lot of different interpretations out there, but there's less discussion of it overall than I would have expected.

I do get people who skip the Johnny Truant sections. Like it's important to the story that they exist, but when you're yanked away from the comparatively gripping Navidson bits so he can talk about his latest sexual encounter, it gets grating. but maybe that's intentional....who's to say....

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do a video about Beatmster's bathroom Dan

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The bad thing about night mind is that his video output has died off pretty hard lately. Do more short dives into weird horseshit!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I get the feeling that Nick's videos on the weird stuff he likes isn't as popular as his lore deep dives.

Also, Brows Held High has released a video on Birth of a Nation and you should (or shouldn't) watch it.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Oh poo poo, I got named in a Quartering video as one of the "3 irrelevant people" who helped get his sponsorship with Trade Coffee canceled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNXLoUvibA

I am irrelevant, but still hope it doesn't lead to me getting targeted.

Edit: Aaaannnd they tweeted @ my employer. My boss said to just ignore it.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 28, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fallenturtle posted:

Oh poo poo, I got named in a Quartering video as one of the "3 irrelevant people" who helped get his sponsorship with Trade Coffee canceled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNXLoUvibA

I am irrelevant, but still hope it does lead to me getting targeted.

Well done. Hambly needs to go.

:lol: at "advertising manager." That's just Hambly putting on a hat to read emails.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can I get the cliff-notes of this mini-drama?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Gaming console boxes stacked high in the background of your videos are the hardcore gamer equivalent of starting a video off by talking to your dog or someone off-camera before you quick-cut to "Hey Guys".

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Can I get the cliff-notes of this mini-drama?

Seconded. I know this guy's apparently alt-right (or adjacent?) but like hell am I wading through alt right poo poo to try and figure out the deal of some drama channel dude.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Seconded. I know this guy's apparently alt-right (or adjacent?) but like hell am I wading through alt right poo poo to try and figure out the deal of some drama channel dude.

Looks like he got dropped by a sponser cause he is one of those poo poo heads that thinks that very fact that a character in a game is LGBTQ is making a political statement.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

Hambly comes to us through Magic: The Gathering where he organized a harassment campaign that saw one of most notable cosplayers attached to the game quitting. As payment, WotC actually saw to it that he was then banned from all future official tournaments. Some amazing person at WotC ALSO banned his Magic Online account. Last year at GenCon he claimed to be "assaulted" by another attendee although the entire report is sketchy as hell. He made a YouTube video about it before a police report, and very little of his story adds up. Helpfully Ethan Van Sciver of ComicsGate started an IndieGoGo for his legal funds that Hambly totally did not use to buy a new truck, he has a receipt from his lawyer and everything you guys. Basically he's an alt-right genre chud who gets by on the grift and thinks having a beard is equal to having a personality.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Puppy Time posted:

He makes videos complaining about politics in gaming which is a dog whistle for hating left-leaning/pro-social justice/woke content in games and games journalism. He's a comicsgater and a gamergater. I tweeted a link to a She-Ra video where he complained that the new She-Ra looked like a boy and was a bad role model for women because she didn't have big breasts.
He also complains about LGBT storylines, hates Brie Larson, and likes to talk about "Go woke, get broke".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

fallenturtle posted:

"Go woke, get broke".

Is there a tangible example of this literally anywhere?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Maybe he means it in the sense that he smashed his coffee maker and his razor because of tv ads.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

God, the comic book and card game version of these fucks are even more pathetic than the video game ones. It’s amazing, because how could you ever manage that?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like how there were three responses to my (and Gesicht's) question and they all cover completely different reasons why this dude is a complete loser. That's talent, that is!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Gaming console boxes stacked high in the background of your videos are the hardcore gamer equivalent of starting a video off by talking to your dog or someone off-camera before you quick-cut to "Hey Guys".

I love it when gaming chuds accuse (always female) YouTubers of being fake because they don't have a stack of gaming memorabilia behind them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Takoluka posted:

ComicsGate claims Captain Marvel will be an example of this what with all the pre-sold tickets and the fact Rotten Tomatoes changed their policy on being able to rate things before the movie is even out, so I'm sure they're as spot on about this as they are everything else.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Takoluka posted:

I've only seen numbers for Solo. Supposedly Battlefield V?

Spectator has an article with some examples... but with most of these there are always other factors that could be why these properties failed. https://spectator.us/woke-go-broke/

Edit: Trade Coffee?

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Takoluka posted:

It was given as a reason for low sales of some Marvel comics but bad marketing tactics and poor quality seem more likely causes to me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm going to watch Captain Marvel for the sole purpose of seeing her punch an old-woman in context. Of course since most trailers show footage that doesn't make it into the final cut of the movie, she'll probably toss an old man in a steamroller's path instead.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was given as a reason for low sales of some Marvel comics but bad marketing tactics and poor quality seem more likely causes to me.

It's become a marketing tactic totally detatched from the actual product. I think the 2016 Ghostbusters kicked that off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fallenturtle posted:

Spectator has an article with some examples... but with most of these there are always other factors that could be why these properties failed. https://spectator.us/woke-go-broke/

i thought solo was because everyone thought it would suck rear end. i thought it was pretty decent but then i went in with a low expectation. BFV was just kinda of mess, some parts worked really well and others didn't. personally i liked 1 alot more but thats just me.

DoubleCakes posted:

I get the feeling that Nick's videos on the weird stuff he likes isn't as popular as his lore deep dives.

Also, Brows Held High has released a video on Birth of a Nation and you should (or shouldn't) watch it.

oh poo poo, that dudes still around? i missed his stuff. also was the new birth of a nation(the one about nat turner) any good. i heard mostly mixed things about especially after the director/writer/lead ended up being a rapist sexmonster? anyway, i only ever saw birth of nation in a history class where the context was how the south rewrote the past and won the peace.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 1, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought solo was because everyone thought it would suck rear end. i thought it was pretty decent but then i went in with a low expectation. BFV was just kinda of mess, some parts worked really well and others didn't. personally i liked 1 alot more but thats just me.

Solo was the safest, blandest, un-wokest, most white people market-friendly Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. It was custom built to be adored by chuds and it still collapsed under its own weight like a David Cronenberg creature thanks to a myriad of flaws and circumstances that had nothing to do with white manbabies holding their breath and passing out in a fit of rage because women and minorities now exist in Star Wars.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The comic book industry has over the course of decades perfected the art of failing to sell comics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Before E posted:

The comic book industry has over the course of decades perfected the art of failing to sell comics.

I mean, Marvel's brilliant idea for revitalizing slumping sales was literally turning Captain America into a Nazi and then Pikachu face'ing in utter shock when people got upset that they turned a man who was literally created to fight Nazis into a Nazi and stopped buying comics even harder than ever. Sooooo....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

Solo was the safest, blandest, un-wokest, most white people market-friendly Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi. It was custom built to be adored by chuds and it still collapsed under its own weight like a David Cronenberg creature thanks to a myriad of flaws and circumstances that had nothing to do with white manbabies holding their breath and passing out in a fit of rage because women and minorities now exist in Star Wars.

well yeah no poo poo its failings didn't have to do with chuds. its because it was a story that didnt need telling and because it was all over the place. i didn't really see anything for the chuds outside the weird lovely droid that the writers couldn't decide how to portray fully.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 1, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fallenturtle posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Some of the things I saw about Battlefield V made it sound like the 'woke broke' thing was more-so reversed or retroactive, where EA's response was 'our game didn't sell because of misogynists didn't want to buy it'. I remember someone chalking up the poor sales as just being the result of EA not doing proper marketing for the game closer to the release date.

I remember finding a pretty good article discussing some of the issues with the game and the subject matter of some of the missions, but I didn't bookmark it and I can't remember where I saw it. :argh:

EDIT: I think this was it: Battlefield V: A corruption of history

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah no poo poo its failings didn't have to do with chuds. its because it was a story that didnt need telling and because it was all over the place. i didn't really see anything for the chuds outside the weird lovely droid that the writers couldn't decide how to portray fully.

I thought the chuds hated that droid too