Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, did someone in this thread write that? (was it you, botl?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Didn't GRRM write in his will that he's to be burned on a funeral pyre with all his notes to spite the world?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A Dream of Spring will be a Half Life 2 mod based on whatever scraps and chapters GRRM has already released.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

haha, did someone in this thread write that? (was it you, botl?)

no.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
The Hold the Door scene loving enraged me with how dumb it is, but for some reason the whole fandom, including people whose opinions I usually respect, loving loves it. It’s so unnecessary and stupid.

Also the tower of joy fight scene...really, everything about Bran’s story is incredibly stupid and disappointing.

The big question for me is...why is incest good now? The last season had like, romantic Jaime/Cersei scenes and now they’re having a baby together, and John’s loving his aunt. Are we supposed to be rooting for this, instead of horribly disgusted?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who could've expected that constantly showing terrible things would normalize them?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Who could've expected that constantly showing terrible things would normalize them?

MUCH

YOUR

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Didn't GRRM write in his will that he's to be burned on a funeral pyre with all his notes to spite the world?

Well, since he has already given the general plot to the TV series and the original was meant to be three books I would guess there is not a lot of notes, so Sanderson can get started once the corpse has started to cool.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I think it’s just something he said offhand in an interview a while back when Robert Jordan died, I don’t thinks it’s some official directive.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

banned from Starbucks posted:

What ever happened to Daario 1.0? I thought he left to do movies but I've never seen him in anything. Did he get same fate as the mountain 1.0?

He was the bad guy in Deadpool 1

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What ever happened to Daario 1.0? I thought he left to do movies but I've never seen him in anything. Did he get same fate as the mountain 1.0?

He was the badguy in the first Deadpool movie and more recently he's the antagonistic hunter killer in Alita.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Elman posted:

I wanted to link What Would Daario Naharis Wear but it appears to be gone.

The show claims another victim. I wonder if Jaime's cup video is still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

MUCH

YOUR

lmao got em

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Terrible things become normalized. People react to my posts as if they were not normalized, therefore they are not terrible.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 27, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Terrible things become normalized. People react to my posts as if they were not normalized, therefore they are not terrible.

tribal genocide is normalized but people are still horrified at the holocaust. hth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

von Metternich posted:

The Hold the Door scene loving enraged me with how dumb it is, but for some reason the whole fandom, including people whose opinions I usually respect, loving loves it. It’s so unnecessary and stupid.

Also the tower of joy fight scene...really, everything about Bran’s story is incredibly stupid and disappointing.

The big question for me is...why is incest good now? The last season had like, romantic Jaime/Cersei scenes and now they’re having a baby together, and John’s loving his aunt. Are we supposed to be rooting for this, instead of horribly disgusted?

It all seems 100% on brand for GRRM though?

And you’re supposed to root against the ancien régime, citoyen. Á la lanterne! :thermidor:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hate is love. War is peace.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
GRRM turned down a cameo in season 8 of GOT because he says he's too busy working on Winds of Winter instead.

gently caress, you can just feel him counting the seconds till the show's off he air so he'll never have to talk about that loving book ever again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

nine-gear crow posted:

GRRM turned down a cameo in season 8 of GOT because he says he's too busy working on Winds of Winter instead.

gently caress, you can just feel him counting the seconds till the show's off he air so he'll never have to talk about that loving book ever again.

HBO will be making GOT related media until the day he dies and probably afterwards.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Steve2911 posted:

HBO will be making GOT related media until the day he dies and probably afterwards.

Naw one of the shows won't do well and they'll decide the IP has seen it's day and cancel the rest.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Naw one of the shows won't do well and they'll decide the IP has seen it's day and cancel the rest.

Yeah unless they find a cheaper way to exploit it the moment RoI drops the franchise is done.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How does Luck kill more horses than GoT?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
the horse orgy scene was a bloodbath

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More horses being used for one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Complete incompetence, its pretty amazing how terrible the horse handlers behind Luck must've been. The "race" scenes with actors on horses that weren't just footage of actual races looked fake as gently caress too because their horses were barely cantering and they still managed to kill a bunch.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

nine-gear crow posted:

looooooooool ok guy

Any other excuse would have been more plausible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Scene: Horse in a meadow chewing some grass

*horse just loving explodes for no reason*

Luck producers: :aaa:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

looooooooool ok guy

Any other excuse would have been more plausible.

Well if it any time he was going to have a real deadline it's before the show ends, any release of the book by that time will probably have increased sales. I mean I'm not sure if he actually cares (or should) I'm sure he has plenty of cash to do whatever by now.

Maybe he just didn't want endless bitching about how he was busy being in the show rather than writing?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There was a lot of thinking about ants going on on the set of Luck.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

pseudanonymous posted:

Well if it any time he was going to have a real deadline it's before the show ends, any release of the book by that time will probably have increased sales. I mean I'm not sure if he actually cares (or should) I'm sure he has plenty of cash to do whatever by now.

Maybe he just didn't want endless bitching about how he was busy being in the show rather than writing?

Yeah any release that can piggyback on a seasons promo stuff is good, but I'd say the bigger deadline he could have aimed for was having a book out before the show overtook him. Right now if he publishes anything people are going to be reading his version of something like 2 seasons ago? Doesn't really matter when that comes out it's definitely not gonna have ADWD heat.

I think any release will probably do gangbusters relatively since a ton of people have read the books as something to do while the show was off but everyone involved in selling it is going to forever wonder how much more they could have had if he wasn't such a lazy shitdick.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think any release will probably do gangbusters relatively since a ton of people have read the books as something to do while the show was off but everyone involved in selling it is going to forever wonder how much more they could have had if he wasn't such a lazy shitdick.

If he ever writes it, it will probably also do well because they can market it as "what really happened" or something along those lines. There's a fair amount of evidence of divergence now (the whole yet another Targaryen sub-plot for example) though that'll be tough if it ends the same way.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's like a 5% chance that's a sign of divergence and a 95% chance it just won't matter to the story at all.

See: Dorne.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Whatever happened to the fat guy who went off to meister Hogwarts to learn meistering?

And was there ever a point to those obsidian candles?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Whatever happened to the fat guy who went off to meister Hogwarts to learn meistering?

And was there ever a point to those obsidian candles?

In the show, he shovels some poo poo, cures Jorah, gets impatient, steals some books and a sword and heads back to the wall.

They only work when dragons are in the world, so they are a way of showing magic has come back into the world.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

pseudanonymous posted:

In the show, he shovels some poo poo, cures Jorah, gets impatient, steals some books and a sword and heads back to the wall.

Cool.

pseudanonymous posted:

They only work when dragons are in the world, so they are a way of showing magic has come back into the world.

I thought that was the magic elf napalm.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I love the smell of Lambas bread in the morning...smells like *long sniff*.......Valinor

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Honestly, when I read about the glass candles, I thought that was just a coy way of letting the reader know that the Citadel had developed electricity and light bulbs and was hiding it from the rest of the world, but I guess not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

von Metternich posted:

Bran's story is bad because having the ability to not only see through time but imprint on it, as he clearly can when he speaks to Theon via the weirwood or yells and Ned hears him or the Hodor stupidity, is the most bullshittingly powerful ability possible. He could project messages back thousands of years and stop the WWs from ever being created, or take action in more recent times to save his family and lands from being hosed over completely. OTOH maybe he tried to stop Robb and Robb ignored it because Robb was a perfect strategist who couldn't pick up a hint of trouble when his wolf wanted to kill every Frey it saw.

pseudanonymous posted:

He cures Jorah of Super Plague by basically flaying him and rubbing down the skin with vinegar(?) to be precise. :eng101:

Also he steals his family's priceless heirloom sword and his father does nothing about it despite being a militaristic rear end in a top hat with a raging killboner and knowing exactly where to find his fat and combat-inept son who stole said priceless sword.

...it's truly amazing how many dumb threads the show created and ignored or shuffled off in some other way. Randal Tarly would've woken up in the morning, saw the sword and Sam were gone, and been on a horse heading for Oldtown within minutes. He'd be back to the castle with Sam's head on a pike by dinner time.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, when I read about the glass candles, I thought that was just a coy way of letting the reader know that the Citadel had developed electricity and light bulbs and was hiding it from the rest of the world, but I guess not.

I'm fairly sure there's a fleshed out theory that points to the candles being used as a test by the maesters to identify any candidates with magic potential to disappear them pronto. I think it's part of the grand maesters conspiracy or whatever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svPOe0OrGAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm fairly sure there's a fleshed out theory that points to the candles being used as a test by the maesters to identify any candidates with magic potential to disappear them pronto. I think it's part of the grand maesters conspiracy or whatever:

This basically seems like something that would be in a better series of books by a better writer. There are little hints of it "they're making a world without blah blah" but one of the Grand Masters is himself "the mage" and learns magic and stuff.