Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's not quite Michael Caine levels of honesty, but he's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fart City posted:

Yeah, like he’s rich. He did his prestige movie period. I think he’s just having fun. And to his credit, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him half-rear end even the silliest stuff he’s popped up in. People are acting like he’s full-blown modern Bruce Willis.

I love Bruce Willis' "gently caress you, pay me" period.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

They are all down for some sweet NAR money.

Anthony Hopkins on Thor posted:

My time was so brief. I think I was only on it about three weeks, on those great sets and everything. And then, you know, no acting required. I wrote in my script, ‘NAR’ — no acting required, let the armor act for me, you know, on the sets. So I let the armor do it for it, and the beard, and that was about it, you know. And showed up and put on my voice and that was about it. But I really enjoyed it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Detective No. 27 posted:

But uncles can't be grandpas.

What about Uncle Grandpa?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Ror posted:

He does this for like 90% of westworld season 1 as well and it's just butter

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hopkins also enjoyed his work in Transformers 5. He never really thought of acting as that big a deal anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ror posted:

Haha this is a great quote

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hopkins is dope since he's become one of the best regarded people in his profession while not giving a poo poo at all.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Hopkins also enjoyed his work in Transformers 5. He never really thought of acting as that big a deal anyway.

I remember reading something about how he was so excited for Transformers 5 and the scale of it. :3:

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh cool, more commerical wokeness disguising how awesome the military industrial status quo is.

Don't you love neoliberalism in Hollywood?

Snowman_McK posted:

Remember that they made a movie called BLACK PANTHER that was about a CIA agent interferring in an African country's electoral process in order to make sure the more sympathetic leader stays in power.

The funniest part about Black Panther was how Killmonger was the "villain."

Waffles Inc. posted:

Captain Marvel's marketing seems like a straight up

This perfectly illustrates (unironically) everything that is wrong with not only liberalism, but American media culture.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The MSJ posted:

Snowman_McK posted:

Hopkins is dope since he's become one of the best regarded people in his profession while not giving a poo poo at all.

Slutitution posted:

I remember reading something about how he was so excited for Transformers 5 and the scale of it. :3:

He had this wonderful quote from an interview about the series prior to TLK coming out.

"‘You’re not going to ask me to explain the plot are you?’ he says. ‘Because it’s so very complicated and there’s the whole mythology of four previous films that come into play. I have to admit, I don’t quite get all of it.'"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Gary Oldman’s the same way, where every movie he’s in is garbage compared to performing some random Pinter play in front of 300 people.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Gary Oldman’s the same way, where every movie he’s in is garbage compared to performing some random Pinter play in front of 300 people.

ditto on a lot of the old school British actors, who viewed all films as being equally beneath them compared to doing plays.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

ditto on a lot of the old school British actors, who viewed all films as being equally beneath them compared to doing plays.

Apart from Shakespeare, they see it all as yeomanry. And even Shakespeare kinda, which I appreciate

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowman_McK posted:

that quote doesn't strike me as "not giving a poo poo" it's more that he realises what is required of him for the role and he doesn't see a reason to go beyond that. There's no real reason to put in a performance like Jeremy Irons did in the D&D movie when just going through the motions will deliver an equally powerful performance.

I mean, I don't think it's much different from Robert Redford in Winter Soldier. I remember sitting in the theatre and thinking that he wasn't doing anything different than he had in any other movies before. I think actors of that calibre have been at this for so long and they know their craft so well that they know exactly what they need to do for their role and it just shows through.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
No new Hellboy trailer link yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsBO4b3tyZg

Still no sign of that elusive "comic accurate" tone, but this at least has a few things to grab onto. Some fun, conspicuously Del Toro-looking monsters, a few more interesting set-pieces - and probably the highlight for me, a quick glimpse of the Baba Yaga in her chicken-leg house.

I think the absolute best that we can hope for here is a halfway competent attempt at an R-rated take on the Del Toro series.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
hellboy is going to bomb. it has absolutely no hook

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Red Pyramid posted:

Some fun, conspicuously Del Toro-looking monsters

Some Mignola-esque monsters as well, that big pig monster is straight out of the comic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Red Pyramid posted:

Still no sign of that elusive "comic accurate" tone, but this at least has a few things to grab onto. Some fun, conspicuously Del Toro-looking monsters, a few more interesting set-pieces - and probably the highlight for me, a quick glimpse of the Baba Yaga in her chicken-leg house.

I think the absolute best that we can hope for here is a halfway competent attempt at an R-rated take on the Del Toro series.

It looks like the old ones

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/MattKamen/status/1101140614962470914

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One of the mutants vs a bunch of faceless goons is a prerequisite of these films, alongside the bit where Wolverine goes into a darkened room and fights the main henchman, and is surprised by how strong they are.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
There was a bit at the end of FOXs The Gifted that gives me hope it will a. be renewed, b. be better and c.be integrated into the MCU. An MTU maybe? Iirc it's set somewhere post Logan and it kind keeps the powers small scale (no flight, limited telepathy, bringing down a building not leveling a city) which I like

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Red Pyramid posted:

That looks a lot better than the first trailer, but there is still something off about the Hellboy makeup, it still looks too stiff. It's hard to do comedic elements when your main actor is seemingly unable to move his face.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'll go and see it. Interesting they went with an R rating.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

I'll go and see it. Interesting they went with an R rating.

The second trailer is a pretty significant improvement over the first. The wanton destruction of the general populace definitely fits better with the comics than the previous series. It looks to be a super weird mix of Hellboy and BPRD elements. For all the gore and makeup I’m surprised they didn’t keep Daimio’s torn face, though I suppose that’s a lot of additional CG budget. I’ll definitely be seeing it, but it looks like they took both comic series and put them in a blender.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm actually into it. I'd like to see more of the action, because Neil Marshall is one of our best, but the 3D Nazi glasses kinda sold me.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

lmfao that owns

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao that owns

Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Red Pyramid posted:

This trailer looks exactly as lovely as the first one. Cool monster designs, though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hellboy strikes me as exactly the sort of movie that no one was really asking for a reboot on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1101545737186205696

Goddammit Zack, don't play with my heart like this.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I am part angry, part devastated I can't go to this. I live in the EU but I would happily plonk down the cash to go to this event, if I didn't need to care for my partner. Just gutted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In Deadpool 2, when there was that brief cameo of the X-Men hiding from Wade, was Mystique there? I don't think she was. drat't, I should have written a clickbait fan theory about it last year.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

she is not.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Imagine if after screening those 3 films, he says he has one more to show and it's his JL cut :gizz:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McCloud posted:

I am part angry, part devastated I can't go to this. I live in the EU but I would happily plonk down the cash to go to this event, if I didn't need to care for my partner. Just gutted.

Same. I'd jivjov the hell out of this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would go to the Watchmen one if it was here.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hellboy strikes me as exactly the sort of movie that no one was really asking for a reboot on.

The movie exists because Mignola and Del Toro could not agree on what the 3rd movie would be about.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can wholeheartedly say his Dawn of the Dead remake is MUCH better in the Director's Cut. I watched that first and really liked it, then watched the normal version with a friend later when we rented it and was like "What the gently caress is this chopped up poo poo?"

I mean it's one of those cuts that's actually good at fixing the movie. If I recall they cut an entire 3 minute sequence of them getting into the mall - one of the better sequences - and go straight to a toilet going through a window.

Yeah a bit of an aside, but definitely watch the Director's Cut or not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barry Convex posted:

huge grain of salt for cynical overseas censorship reasons, but one can always hope

https://twitter.com/charlesmurphths/status/1101588963377201154?s=21