Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so far she has acted housebroken so bonus. kinda knows how sit works.

super attention heavy, any positive attention at all she just eats it up

belly rubs i thought might have broken her mind, got this whole facial expression like "how can this exist"

so far no problems with the murderdogs yet so fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

You and miss frog are good people.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One of the female feral cats living in my yard is extremely pregnant, and has been for several months now. She’s been that way for so long that we’re starting to wonder if something is wrong, or if we might need to take her to the vet.

Only problem is, we’re not really sure how to catch her.

Would trying to coax her into an open pet carrier with a can of tuna be a good strategy to try?

Should I be worried at all?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

sneakyfrog posted:

this poor loving dog thats like 10-20 pounds underweight ribs showing everywhere

quote:

she had puppies recently

quote:

doesnt know what the gently caress toys are.

:psyduck: what is wrong with people

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I. M. Gei posted:

One of the female feral cats living in my yard is extremely pregnant, and has been for several months now. She’s been that way for so long that we’re starting to wonder if something is wrong, or if we might need to take her to the vet.

Only problem is, we’re not really sure how to catch her.

Would trying to coax her into an open pet carrier with a can of tuna be a good strategy to try?

Should I be worried at all?

My suggestion would be make a shelter, somewhere warm and dry, with some towels or small blankets you dont mind getting trashed. hell maybe make it in a pet carrier for the whole 2 birds one stone thing. tuna or any stinky wet food is usually a good enticement. try not to get bit, cat bites are no joke and sometimes worse than a dog bite.

pupdate:

Well. 5 minutes of low level whining when crated in the evening for the first time, god I wish all dogs were this easy to crate. no accidents, cept for a small one earlier in the evening that she stopped mid squat when being told no.

she is attention starved though

asides from being starved starved

super lovey dovey dog though. honestly for a strange dog this one has been a walk in the park so far other than OMG FURRY THING dash

she is really good at stop freezing when you say no though, so im cautiously optimistic.

a bit of a climber though which might take a bit of training to work with.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Progress: If I'm sitting very quietly on my laptop and pretending diligently that I don't notice, the kittycat will now exit the futon under the bed and alternate between checking out the room and staring into my soul. Of course, if I 'notice' the cat is now wandering around in my room, he goes back under.

So we've gone from 'hiding completely' to 'accepting scratches if I go under' to 'exploring even if I'm in the room'.

Gotta work my way up to cuddling!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:neckbeard: yay

well dog went to the vet, other than being 10-15 pounds underweight she is in good health. Got all her shots and stuff, they asked ladyfrog what her name was and she said fish.

so I guess we have a cat named dog and a dog named fish

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a cat named monkey and had a fish named horse. None of which I named. Just embrace it man, it makes it easier.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
to be fair I named the cat dog, she wouldn't let me name the last dog cat

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, I forgot about the house bunny a guy I knew caught who we dubbed... Kitty. I lived in my house for a couple days until we found the owner.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Y'all are certified saints.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sneakyfrog posted:

My suggestion would be make a shelter, somewhere warm and dry, with some towels or small blankets you dont mind getting trashed. hell maybe make it in a pet carrier for the whole 2 birds one stone thing. tuna or any stinky wet food is usually a good enticement. try not to get bit, cat bites are no joke and sometimes worse than a dog bite.

Update: I think the mother gave birth this afternoon. I didn’t see any actual kittens, but I did hear tiny kitten mewing under the table in our storage room behind some boxes, and mom was back there staring at me.

I really hope they’re all okay. I don’t want to get too close to them since I don’t want to scare mom, but the last time this particular momcat gave birth, this happened.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
moms gonna be hungry and thirsty and chances are you have yourself a kitten nest in your storage room. if this same cat keeps breeding you might want to see if there is a local organization that does spay and release for ferals. or you are going to be an eternal kitton host.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

sneakyfrog posted:

:neckbeard: yay

well dog went to the vet, other than being 10-15 pounds underweight she is in good health. Got all her shots and stuff, they asked ladyfrog what her name was and she said fish.

so I guess we have a cat named dog and a dog named fish

It happens. Our cats are Newt and Toad. Not from the same litter, surprisingly.

I don't know if it's appropriate for me to talk about Newt here? I adopted her from a shelter, and she is pretty buttery. (when I got her a month ago she was 15.4lb on what is probably a 10lb fame, looks like a tsuchinoko when she runs)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

constantinople posted:

It happens. Our cats are Newt and Toad. Not from the same litter, surprisingly.

I don't know if it's appropriate for me to talk about Newt here? I adopted her from a shelter, and she is pretty buttery. (when I got her a month ago she was 15.4lb on what is probably a 10lb fame, looks like a tsuchinoko when she runs)

I need pics :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Alder posted:

I need pics :3:

We need video.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

spookygonk posted:

We need video.

It's hard to get video because she looks most like one when she's darting under the bed, as she does when she encounters anything mildly distasteful. Hopefully this will do as a teaser for now.

I got Newt about a month ago. I went to a shelter to look at another cat, but I ended up wandering around and finding her. When I opened the cage, I started petting her. Then she kept straining to keep my hand on her head as I scritched. She's seven, and her old owners gave her up when they got a new kitten. When I found her she'd been in the shelter for over five months and gained a point. She's lost half a pound at this point.

As a newt, she is amphibious. She puts one paw in it and leans down to drink the water from the bowl. Like an idiot.

Appropriately ashamed.

I've had cats before, but never one this gentle or sweet. In spite of her size she doesn't really complain for food and can be easily distracted with catnip, see first picture. It's hard to get her to play - even the stuff she does like only interests her moderately. Does anyone have any tips for this?

She sleeps right next to my head and gently paws at me when she wants to be pet. Her purr is a loud little trill. Also, she is remarkably tolerant of things that I put on her.

Including the dog's sweater. She doesn't like the dog yet, but he keeps a respectful distance.

The surrender form said she didn't get along with cats, but after about a week she and my roommate's cat, Toad, were cordial. They sit next to each other, give sniffs.

I have several dozen pics of her at this point. I feel like the parent of a newborn child. A cloud child. A sheep child.

This post is already too long. So this is all for now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Belly floof of the gods!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That is an extremely good Newt.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I love Newt's nose spots, that look like a goofy pig nose.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You are a good person.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well the puppy is good, but yeah has quite the prey drive. totally fixates on the cats, really not sure its trainable in that regard. :smithfrog: we are working with it but damned if it isn't a bit nerve wracking, in all other regards its a totally sweet pup, but at this point i wouldn't have it around small animals or small kids. hopefully that improves.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Belly floof of the gods!

It's kind of a trap. But all of her white fur is reeeeally soft, and you can stick your face in it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

:3:

Newt is a great cat and you're a good person for giving her a home.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

constantinople posted:

As a newt, she is amphibious. She puts one paw in it and leans down to drink the water from the bowl. Like an idiot.

I love this absurd creature.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Radio! posted:

I love this absurd creature.

same

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

constantinople posted:

I've had cats before, but never one this gentle or sweet. In spite of her size she doesn't really complain for food and can be easily distracted with catnip, see first picture. It's hard to get her to play - even the stuff she does like only interests her moderately. Does anyone have any tips for this?

This sounds like my Mrr. You just got a chill cat is all. I love those nose dots, omg. :3:

Maybe try Da Bird if she needs the exercise though, that one seems to set something off even in the laziest of cats if you move it right.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Dewgy posted:

This sounds like my Mrr. You just got a chill cat is all. I love those nose dots, omg. :3:

Maybe try Da Bird if she needs the exercise though, that one seems to set something off even in the laziest of cats if you move it right.

They're one of those really good things about her that don't make any sense.

I've tried that type of toy and she's not that into it, but I could find another kind. She kind of likes her little cardboard tube on a wire.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

sneakyfrog posted:

well the puppy is good, but yeah has quite the prey drive. totally fixates on the cats, really not sure its trainable in that regard. :smithfrog: we are working with it but damned if it isn't a bit nerve wracking, in all other regards its a totally sweet pup, but at this point i wouldn't have it around small animals or small kids. hopefully that improves.

Maybe that will improve as she learns she’ll be fed regularly? :smith: You’re good people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
heres hoping :shrug:

right now she is tethered to the coffee table since she cant move it and gives the cats room to go around her

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Hello foster thread, I haven't caught up on the last ~2500 posts, but since Chili and Butterscotch were part of the reason I found out about and became interested in fostering, I thought I should share my experience. I started fostering literally this week on Wednesday, since my fiancee and I aren't sure what country we're gonna be in over the next few years (yay, Brexit :rolleyes:) but we love cats and want to have one around the house.

Everyone: meet Kitty! She's five years old, her owner passed away on the weekend. She is oh my god the sweetest cat I've ever met. Within a couple of hours of coming home she was attached to my legs and purring like a motor. It's gonna be hard to say goodbye to her, but I know there are other cats I can help, and she will make a great companion to someone else :shobon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno friend, super awesome kitties are rad. i would fail with that one for sure.

(of course that is also why we have 7 animals currently)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The only reason I know I'm not going to fail is that I actually cannot. I can't commit to a cat right now. I can't. I can't...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

constantinople posted:

They're one of those really good things about her that don't make any sense.

I've tried that type of toy and she's not that into it, but I could find another kind. She kind of likes her little cardboard tube on a wire.

The trick I found with Da Bird is if you drag it along the ground in kind of a hoppy way, they go insane. Something about it looks like a real critter wandering around.

If she doesn’t go for it then, well, you probably don’t have a very good mouser in her either. :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mycelia posted:

The only reason I know I'm not going to fail is that I actually cannot. I can't commit to a cat right now. I can't. I can't...

then it usually for me goes to i cant really, then i cant?, then i shouldnt, then definitely no. then ehhhhhhh, then its wearing monogrammed pajamas in my computer chair and wont move

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
miss frog photoing some weapons grade cute

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
that dog sure has it ruff :haw:

couldn't have landed in a better home though

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

sneakyfrog posted:

She's precious :kimchi:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sneakyfrog posted:

That is an extremely Good Dog 10/10 would pet :3:

EDIT: I should probably start getting pics of the cats in my yard

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the puppo is getting fixed today. still working with her, she is still very sweet but puppy patrol with my schedule is exhausting