Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

priznat posted:

When you get killed does the mic still work? Need to tell team not to bother going for the banner in a lot of instances.

Also is there any way to see the players you were squadded up at random with? Would be nice to be able to add good folks to a friendz list

It still works. I got a lot of practice in coordinating the team while waiting for a respawn when I was still maining Gibraltar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You can still talk even while spectating iirc. Usually people peace out instead but you're free to be like no please do not rush the two squads by yourself, gibralter guy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's weird when they do sponsored streams for a game that the biggest streamers are already playing because they like it.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What does spiderman have to do with Apex, is it because of the zipline robot guy?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My son, who is almost 5, has been asking me about Apex (he asks me about the video games I play after he goes to bed). So I've described it as a sports game with colorful characters (left out the part about the bloodsport and guns) where the players have to loot the most treasure and escape the island. And then I describe "the guys", which is his term for any colorful game characters (one of his favorite things to do is just sit at the Killer Instinct screen and pick the characters and narrate 'cool' stories for them, this is "looking at the guys"). So he knows about Wraith, Gibby, Pathfinder, etc. Anyway last night at bedtime he stands up in bed and announces that he knows all the rules to Apex Legends, and proceeds to tell me them:

1) You CANNOT tell your opponent to "get rekt" *
2) NO INSTINCT (this is yelled at the ceiling) and he wouldn't elaborate on this
3) You don't need a ticket to play (!?!?!? technically true)
4) You can't play without the password. NO TRESPASSING (again yelled at the ceiling) When I asked him what the password was, he whispered "Wraith knows"
5) When you lose, the robot gives you diarrhea **

* A kid at preschool told him this 2 months ago and he was really upset. Obviously still steamed about it.
** I told him about the ping system and used the Clickhole example to get him to laugh since little kids love poop stuff. Clearly gave it a remix.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's weird when they do sponsored streams for a game that the biggest streamers are already playing because they like it.

The sponsoring is for the Spiderman movie rerelease or whatever.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is kinda talking to how they were blindsided by the popularity.

Their entire marketing has been paid streamers ads, which they have to be public about, so I'm sure the official plan was to stream a couple days and then also stream when the first major content patch comes out. But they didn't expect it to be as popular/good as it was, and those deals are already done so like it looks weird but makes sense if you look at it like that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

That's amazing and also today I learned preschoolers tell other preschoolers to get rekt.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

:kimchi:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Senethro posted:

When the last members of two teams kill each other in a duel, how does it decide who gets resurrected?

Good question, but if I had to guess; while it appears to be an instant trade, one of the parties probably gets tagged by the server as the first to go down by however many milliseconds, then the last to fall wins

Also new personal record, got six full squad wins in a row :smugdog:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
This is a v precious story :3:

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My son, who is almost 5...

But what’s his opinion on the predatory nature of lootboxes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, they've really gotta fix these disconnect/crash issues. Tons of matches have at least one of our players disconnect even without getting downed, but I just had a match where I got to second place and went out of sync, and another where I was the Kill Leader and it hard crashed to desktop.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

My son, who is almost 5, has been asking me about Apex (he asks me about the video games I play after he goes to bed). So I've described it as a sports game with colorful characters (left out the part about the bloodsport and guns) where the players have to loot the most treasure and escape the island. And then I describe "the guys", which is his term for any colorful game characters (one of his favorite things to do is just sit at the Killer Instinct screen and pick the characters and narrate 'cool' stories for them, this is "looking at the guys"). So he knows about Wraith, Gibby, Pathfinder, etc. Anyway last night at bedtime he stands up in bed and announces that he knows all the rules to Apex Legends, and proceeds to tell me them:

2) NO INSTINCT (this is yelled at the ceiling) and he wouldn't elaborate on this
4) You can't play without the password. NO TRESPASSING (again yelled at the ceiling) When I asked him what the password was, he whispered "Wraith knows"

* A kid at preschool told him this 2 months ago and he was really upset. Obviously still steamed about it.
** I told him about the ping system and used the Clickhole example to get him to laugh since little kids love poop stuff. Clearly gave it a remix.

Kids. Aww

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Elerion posted:

NO INSTINCT

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Elerion posted:

Also what are his feelings on hitboxes?

Elerion
May 31, 2011

kung fu jive posted:

Also what are his feelings on hitboxes?

The robot gives you diarrhoea.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Apex Legends: When you lose, the robot gives you diarrhea

Apex Legends: NO INSTINCT

Elerion fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 1, 2019

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
its honestly hilarious how often I get cucked out of win-stats between the ridiculous way it only counts "wins as a whole squad" even if people drop and the terrible netcode and bugginess. im not mad i swear.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i can't wait until my son gets that cool. right now he just perpetually yells any time im in game so my teammates not only get to hear my distorted VC but a toddler yelling "DADDY WATCH. BABY SHARK SNACK COOKIE YAY" in the bg which likely gets me muted outright.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I love farming no instinct gamers at bunker. If you're getting frustrated playing caustic, a really important skill to learn is how to strongarm pubbies into dropping bunker. A lot of people neglect it, but the real game starts before you even leave the dropship.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Parachute posted:

i can't wait until my son gets that cool. right now he just perpetually yells any time im in game so my teammates not only get to hear my distorted VC but a toddler yelling "DADDY WATCH. BABY SHARK SNACK COOKIE YAY" in the bg which likely gets me muted outright.

It's a lot of fun. Things only get better IMO (some people say that it gets bad when they're teens, but my dad and I actually got along great when I was a teen.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asema posted:

this is kinda talking to how they were blindsided by the popularity.

Their entire marketing has been paid streamers ads, which they have to be public about, so I'm sure the official plan was to stream a couple days and then also stream when the first major content patch comes out. But they didn't expect it to be as popular/good as it was, and those deals are already done so like it looks weird but makes sense if you look at it like that.

yeah i didn't think of that. if these were set up a month ago it makes perfect sense.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

cargo cult posted:

its honestly hilarious how often I get cucked out of win-stats between the ridiculous way it only counts "wins as a whole squad" even if people drop and the terrible netcode and bugginess. im not mad i swear.

Winning as a pair or solo ought to be more impressive, right? I’m pretty proud of the match I won with just one other rando on my team. Regardless it’s very weird that a basic “games won” stat just isn’t available anywhere.

I’ve been taking a screenshot of the “Champions of the Arena” screen every time so I can keep track. That also gives me a rundown of who it was with, how many kills each squaddie got, etc. Surprisingly high number of the chonky bois present in my win screens.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Add a hop up for the Alternator that lets you fire it while sprinting. Make this an innate property for the P2020. The P2020 can now be dual weilded. The Mozambique can have a select fire to let it fire full auto and carries 2 more rounds innately. I get hired by Respawn

Mordja posted:

You literally described my TF2 build.

It's mine, too :v: That's why I'm so upset the gun is just so anaemic and sad in Apex because it's my absolute favourite weapon in Titanfall 2. I played a few rounds of TF2 a few days ago with my alternator and grappling hook and it just made me go whyyyy

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 1, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Songbearer posted:

Add a hop up for the Alternator that lets you fire it while sprinting.
You literally described my TF2 build.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Played with a random yesterday who dropped us into Water Treatment. We eliminated the squad that dropped with us and rotated toward Skull Town. He was adamant that we stay along the outer edge of the ring so the other random and I obliged. We spent the entire match rotating around the map in a spiral pattern, never leaving the edge of the ring. Every squad we encountered we were flanking by default and we cleaned them up relatively quickly. It was a low kill game but definitely taught me there are more ways to play this game than just assuming the relentless aggression that Apex Legends promotes is the only way to go.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Add a hop up for the Alternator that lets you fire it while sprinting. Make this an innate property for the P2020. The P2020 can now be dual weilded. The Mozambique can have a select fire to let it fire full auto and carries 2 more rounds innately. I get hired by Respawn

It's mine, too :v: That's why I'm so upset the gun is just so anaemic and sad in Apex because it's my absolute favourite weapon in Titanfall 2. I played a few rounds of TF2 a few days ago with my alternator and grappling hook and it just made me go whyyyy

Mozambique hopup letting it dump all of its shots at once probably still makes it somehow worse than a stock peacekeeper, but at least it's be a pretty hard hitting single shot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

kung fu jive posted:

Played with a random yesterday who dropped us into Water Treatment. We eliminated the squad that dropped with us and rotated toward Skull Town. He was adamant that we stay along the outer edge of the ring so the other random and I obliged. We spent the entire match rotating around the map in a spiral pattern, never leaving the edge of the ring. Every squad we encountered we were flanking by default and we cleaned them up relatively quickly. It was a low kill game but definitely taught me there are more ways to play this game than just assuming the relentless aggression that Apex Legends promotes is the only way to go.

For sure. You can't play 100% passive because you'll wind up outgunned against a well geared team that has had some warmup fights, but you can definitely take a more measured approach and find a lot of success.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

kung fu jive posted:

assuming the relentless aggression that Apex Legends promotes is the only way to go.

Listen being a sneaky bastard is okay for some people but if you're not going into and coming out of every battle a screaming, frantic mess then I just don't see our playstyles meshing

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

:tinfoil:

WHAT ELSE DOES SHE KNOW

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah that's my take away. What are the voices saying?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

When you lose, the robot gives you diarrhea

I’m cracking up in the bathroom at work rn, thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I played last night as lifeline and dropped in a spot a little ways from my team because I knew there would be no loot left for me, and then kept getting chased further and further away because I wasn’t able to find a gun anywhere. Both teammates bought it and were yelling at me to come rez them and I was like I don’t even have a gun dammit while they had 3 squads battling it out over their crates.

I made it to 5th ranked squad without ever finding a gun it was ridiculous. Everyone dropped in one tiny area so it was over very quickly :haw:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Parachute posted:

Hope you weren't the guy I told to kill himself irl the other night when there was some kinda family jamboree going on in the background (no attempt at in game talk was made)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This is the best thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Voice activated chat is getting toddler voices fairly frequently I find.. I died and I heard a 3 yo said “oooh he dead now” and I loled

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

tweet my meat posted:

For sure. You can't play 100% passive because you'll wind up outgunned against a well geared team that has had some warmup fights, but you can definitely take a more measured approach and find a lot of success.

I've been trying to go for drops in decently lootable areas just outside of the hot zones. If the blue circle is in runoff, I like to hit up the little cluster of three buildings just to the west. That way we can hopefully grab at least some white armor and a decent gun or two each and then roll into the fight after people are already engaged with another squad or looting and low on health.

My buddies like to drop pit but I'm thinking it's a trap lately. There are three boxes in there and usually a gun or two on the ground but that's it. Super easy to not find a weapon. Same with the airport thing, it's way too open and easy to get screwed on boxes. Definitely starting to prefer areas with cover and loot on the ground so I don't have to run to box after box looking for a loving gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Can we if only for a moment have the thread title be changed to Apex Legends: NO INSTINCT