Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Me, before making Terrasteel in Break Out: "ugh I can't believe the author is making me generate half a pool of mana in such a small space"
Me, after making Terrasteel in Break Out: "wait why does my mana pool still have so much mana in it"

edit: Me, after getting to the final quest: "oh god I need to make nine more terrasteel"

edit2: oh gently caress this modpack. I hadn't even bothered with an AE2 system, and only now do I find out that I'm required to make a Singularity.
...I guess I should've checked the recipe requirements for the final pick.
edit3: cheated in a singularity. That wasn't the final quest, and I need to make another two blocks of terrasteel, get four rabbit's feet, and get some Wub ore. I think I'm just going to cheat through the rest of the pack. Clearing out all this obsidian to make a real base in the bedrock shell just isn't any fun.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

McFrugal posted:

Ok I got to the crossroads section of Break Out and what the gently caress happened, EnderIO? I haven't done much with the mod in a while and now it's got like 8 crafting steps to get a REGULAR sag mill.
edit: holy poo poo there's even more steps

Wait what, does Break Out disable recipes while you play it? I can't use regular iron to make a simple chassis anymore.

Nope, the guy who made EnderIO went all "muh vision".

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Danny Glands posted:

Nope, the guy who made EnderIO went all "muh vision".

Yeah, holy poo poo did that mod get stupid. I remember when the first iteration w/infinity dust came out. I thought it was a cool idea at first. Then I noticed the recipes. :psyduck:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If it didn't have the powdercoating and the simple machines stage the mod would be fine - other than the one time you have to really annoyingly craft the industrial dyes to make the industrial powdercoating, new EnderIO is just old EnderIO + more. It's finally fast enough to be viable for lategame!

e: Honestly I love all the extra metals you can use now. I want more mods to have a spread of tiered metals, not just "this one's the endgame and everyone looks the same in it and uses the same setup"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I don't know if I'm just too tired and unmedicated right now but I just cannot figure out crafttweaker scripts.

I'm trying to make an endless desert modpack with skyresources, and I just want a simple script to let me make red sand from normal sand, and make the basic six thaumcraft crystals. Preferably with life infusion and the alchemy table respectively, but then crafttweaker throws an error insisting that there's no such thing as skyresources. Even a normal shapeless recipe is giving me errors. Are there any example scripts out there so I can just steal and modify them? Feeling really dumb right now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Goon Danton posted:

I don't know if I'm just too tired and unmedicated right now but I just cannot figure out crafttweaker scripts.

I'm trying to make an endless desert modpack with skyresources, and I just want a simple script to let me make red sand from normal sand, and make the basic six thaumcraft crystals. Preferably with life infusion and the alchemy table respectively, but then crafttweaker throws an error insisting that there's no such thing as skyresources. Even a normal shapeless recipe is giving me errors. Are there any example scripts out there so I can just steal and modify them? Feeling really dumb right now.

Can't you just look at E2ES or Modern Skyblock 2 for what they use for Sky Resources?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, 2 questions. What are the current quest based packs that people are liking? Love the game but can't seem to keep on playing without some definite goals.
Second, how do I make the Twitch launcher update packs when I click update? The drat thing seems to just not do anything when I tell it to update most of the time.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

xanthan posted:

So, 2 questions. What are the current quest based packs that people are liking? Love the game but can't seem to keep on playing without some definite goals.
Second, how do I make the Twitch launcher update packs when I click update? The drat thing seems to just not do anything when I tell it to update most of the time.

Twitch is sometimes just extremely slow at reacting to requests, in my experience. Waiting has always worked.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

xanthan posted:

For 1.12 you've got:
Sevtech. A very strict exploration and age-based pack. Caveman to astronaut while digging liberally into magic and numerous techs. Relies heavily on quests at first then loosens as ages progress while still pushing you towards where you need to go.

Project Ozone 3. Latest iteration of the popular skyblock. Normal mode only right now so more of a loose progression. If you're looking for a more strict and complex experience then waiting for kappa mode and more updates would be good. Project Ozone 2 kappa mode for 1.7 is still one of my personal best experiences in minecraft.

Enigmatica 2/ Expert/ Expert Skyblock. Variations of a modpack much like the above though has been out longer and more polished. The expert skyblock version in particular is a much different interpretation of skyblocking than usual as it eschews sieves and the like in favour of multiblocks. Massive questbook to keep you on track and with things to do.

Exoria. Another heavily involved exploration type pack. You have a central hub world that works much like a skyblock without being in the sky - building from nothing and using that to expand, etc. Gimmick is mainly about exploring different dimensions. Questbook is decently strict about keeping you in line.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Rynoto posted:

For 1.12 you've got:
Sevtech. A very strict exploration and age-based pack. Caveman to astronaut while digging liberally into magic and numerous techs. Relies heavily on quests at first then loosens as ages progress while still pushing you towards where you need to go.

Project Ozone 3. Latest iteration of the popular skyblock. Normal mode only right now so more of a loose progression. If you're looking for a more strict and complex experience then waiting for kappa mode and more updates would be good. Project Ozone 2 kappa mode for 1.7 is still one of my personal best experiences in minecraft.

Enigmatica 2/ Expert/ Expert Skyblock. Variations of a modpack much like the above though has been out longer and more polished. The expert skyblock version in particular is a much different interpretation of skyblocking than usual as it eschews sieves and the like in favour of multiblocks. Massive questbook to keep you on track and with things to do.

Exoria. Another heavily involved exploration type pack. You have a central hub world that works much like a skyblock without being in the sky - building from nothing and using that to expand, etc. Gimmick is mainly about exploring different dimensions. Questbook is decently strict about keeping you in line.

Thanks! I'll check out Sevtech and Exoria later. :3

McFrugal posted:

Twitch is sometimes just extremely slow at reacting to requests, in my experience. Waiting has always worked.

Got it. Its been every time so its kind of annoying, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
anybody got any reccomendations for technic mods that are good? something quest based would be good, i got kind of burnt out on new horizons.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Can't you just look at E2ES or Modern Skyblock 2 for what they use for Sky Resources?

I didn't think of that, most modpacks are too bloated for my computer now so I don't really keep up with them. Thanks!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

anybody got any reccomendations for technic mods that are good? something quest based would be good, i got kind of burnt out on new horizons.

Blightfall.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Blightfall.

With your drunk friends, on teamspeak or discord or something.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

xanthan posted:

Also twitch related, sometimes when I click on a Minecraft mod it just spins and spins and doesn't load the mod info (I'm trying to check for updates).

What I'll do to fix is just hit "Play" on the mod which then opens the Minecraft launcher, which I close, then when I click on the Mod info again it'll load right away. My theory is that hitting "Play" does a higher-priority request than whatever query is hanging, but populates the same data I was trying to pull about the mod.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

Also twitch related, sometimes when I click on a Minecraft mod it just spins and spins and doesn't load the mod info (I'm trying to check for updates).

What I'll do to fix is just hit "Play" on the mod which then opens the Minecraft launcher, which I close, then when I click on the Mod info again it'll load right away. My theory is that hitting "Play" does a higher-priority request than whatever query is hanging, but populates the same data I was trying to pull about the mod.

I usually just kill and restart Twitch.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Why is it that modpacks start you out at noon nowadays? It's impossible to make a house in time for nightfall.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

More modpacks should just include the mod that lets you spawn a house.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

xanthan posted:

i agree with that

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

i agree with that

Yeah, agreed. I actually am kind of debating making some sort of blueprints for Prefab because I love it so much that having some more prebuilt structures would be nice.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

McFrugal posted:

Why is it that modpacks start you out at noon nowadays? It's impossible to make a house in time for nightfall.

It's the default starting time for Minecraft on the first day, so far as I know. Extended Days will let you change the start time on a new map to dawn.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

It's the default starting time for Minecraft on the first day, so far as I know. Extended Days will let you change the start time on a new map to dawn.

Huh, I thought I remembered this being the case but disregarded it as silly because it gives you like 5 minutes to get shelter. That's a bad experience for new players.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

xanthan posted:

This is why when me and my friends play we usually use Lost Cities (and turn off the haunted mod that it comes with). Just clear out a building and use it for whatever you want! We usually make buildings into like a HQ for particular mods or set up processing machines for a particular purpose in them. Some buildings come with treasure chests too, it's nice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, agreed. I actually am kind of debating making some sort of blueprints for Prefab because I love it so much that having some more prebuilt structures would be nice.

I thought Prefab was hard-coded. There are other ones that let you define stuff, but I did not find hooks in Prefab.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought Prefab was hard-coded. There are other ones that let you define stuff, but I did not find hooks in Prefab.

Crap, you are correct. I misread the documentation.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
It was nice to get the prefab starter house with the ladder down to y11 in the first Craft of the Titans. At least until you went through a cave as you went down the ladder and a Deez Nutz creeper blew you up through the diagonal corner.
I think the only other prefabs that were worth it were the end/nether portals.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Depends posted:

It was nice to get the prefab starter house with the ladder down to y11 in the first Craft of the Titans. At least until you went through a cave as you went down the ladder and a Deez Nutz creeper blew you up through the diagonal corner.

I used the Warehouse (two story large open layout) a lot in a recent skyblock, although I forget which one. Maybe Modern Skyblock 2/3? (I installed it myself)

In Project Ozone 3 I just used the Skylands mapgen and that worked out great.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I quite often end up setting up inside of some sort of premade structure, at least in modded packs. I don't want to live in a dirt 9x9, so I try to fancy stuff up...but then I inevitably decide I need this one specific cosmetic block to finish my build, which requires a bunch of infrastructures, but I've got nowhere to put the infrastructure since the build is unfinished, and so on.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I've never done much large scale building in this building game, so this game I'm planning on making some ziggurats for the big magic multiblocks like the blood magic altar and the infusion thing for thaumcraft. Should be a fun change from my normal "pile of poo poo in a field" method.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

I take forever to find a place to live anyway, so if I can't find sheep before nightfall I just dig 3 down into dirt and place a block over my head and wait until morning.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

I quite often end up setting up inside of some sort of premade structure, at least in modded packs. I don't want to live in a dirt 9x9, so I try to fancy stuff up...but then I inevitably decide I need this one specific cosmetic block to finish my build, which requires a bunch of infrastructures, but I've got nowhere to put the infrastructure since the build is unfinished, and so on.

Actually this is something I think Minecraft needs a ton more of - abandoned or premade structures in the world that you can latch onto. Even if they're just stone and wood and brick and nothing fancier than that, I loved taking over an abandoned church I found in one modpack that had a bunch of extra things like that.

Edit: I'm a goddamn prepper in Minecraft. I can't handle being out in the open with skeletons and poo poo shooting at me, so it's almost always full walls or an enclosed space.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i usually dig out a big giant square space underground

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Actually this is something I think Minecraft needs a ton more of - abandoned or premade structures in the world that you can latch onto. Even if they're just stone and wood and brick and nothing fancier than that, I loved taking over an abandoned church I found in one modpack that had a bunch of extra things like that.

Recurrent Complex generates a bunch of structures like this, I like to toss it in any time I'm not playing a skyblock.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Enigmatica 2 Expert had a bunch of neat looking but otherwise pointless building you could find out in the wilderness. I don't know which mod added the different things but there were plenty of things to look at as you ran around.
Makes exploring a lot more fun.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Depends posted:

Enigmatica 2 Expert had a bunch of neat looking but otherwise pointless building you could find out in the wilderness. I don't know which mod added the different things but there were plenty of things to look at as you ran around.
Makes exploring a lot more fun.

Goon Danton posted:

Recurrent Complex generates a bunch of structures like this, I like to toss it in any time I'm not playing a skyblock.

Recurrent Complex is the mod you're thinking about. I just want MORE. EVEN MORE. It's so great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

Crap, you are correct. I misread the documentation.
There's a few variations for this idea and I can't entirely keep straight what is all out there myself. I just suffered it recently looking into prefabricated structures for an updated BFSR experiment.

I'm pretty sure it's all coded and not coming from data files because I really did want to get in there and monkey around. The pre-made tunnel and helper chests are very convenient and something I wanted to include in a tutorial pack. I can even imagine how you could create a prefab and just place special blocks for where to put those special things.

I think Schematica is the one where you can save a structure and build it elsewhere--complete with preview and all. However, I think it expects you to have all the materials. What I also couldn't figure out is if I could make some kind of creative, single-use blueprint that I could give a player to, say, create a large, mod-friendly machine shop building. The stuff in Prefab isn't so good for that.

Depends posted:

Do you mean that the vertical shaft was exposed to any cave systems it plunged through down to Y=11? The ones I'm building always wrap everything around with stone on all four sides, harvest whatever ores it replaces with stone, and slaps them in a chest on the bottom. Or do you mean that Deez Nutz creepers would just blow up that enclosed section anyways?

Black Pants posted:

I take forever to find a place to live anyway, so if I can't find sheep before nightfall I just dig 3 down into dirt and place a block over my head and wait until morning.

I did some experiments with not really settling down someplace right away and I feel like it's become more of a pain in the rear end in 1.12.2. I use to be able to get a spectral dimension key fairly easily or at least haul my life around in MFR plastic bags like some kind of bum. That key is very hard to make anymore, plastic bags are gone, and people are really fussy about turning rotten flesh into leather for backpacks. What I came up with kind of relies on villages. Every village I found so far had an Immersive Engineering shack of some kind, and their crates were fair game. Well, the wool too so I could make a bed. The crates were portable storage so that let me wander some more without getting fed up. This was also a good time to try to get some emeralds from stealing wheat. There's a packing crate in Pam's Harvestcraft that'll convert 32 of a crop into an emerald, so you can use that with PlusTiC to make emerald tools.

The second phase I'm dabbling in is traps from Pam's Harvestcraft to get leather, but I haven't gotten a handle on how well it works (how long it takes).

Generally, I see a fun quest chapter with the theme of not settling down and trying to avoid mining for iron. There's little bits about flint tools and such you can scrounge together on the way.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

One trick for leather is that you can use a TiCon drying rack to turn any kind of cooked meat (including cooked fish) into leather. It takes a couple of minutes though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nomadic Minecraft Stuff

Man I'm 100% on board with this. If it weren't for the fact that dimensional changing is so finicky in minecraft, I would love a setup where you have a Spectral Key base sort of deal and then spend most of your time wandering around. I liked Exoria for this exact reason, actually.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

One trick for leather is that you can use a TiCon drying rack to turn any kind of cooked meat (including cooked fish) into leather. It takes a couple of minutes though.

They skipped out on rotten flesh though. I think I'm too gung-ho about that; zombies just need to be more useful for something. The fish is probably the best way to go since you can fairly easily make a fishing pole in modded Minecraft and just work on a small patch of water at night to get some fish. I'm hope the Pam's Harvestcraft trap kind of takes off some of this edge by turning some grain into meat (to cook and dry into leather) as well as some leather itself. I just don't know the constraints on it. Like, can I make one of those down in a cave somewhere and be fine so long as it's surrounded by dirt? I like the notion that the traps are just altars to some benign fertility god that accepts the baits in exchange for random animal body parts. It sounds like the type of animal it traps has to be anywhere nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What the hell is the point of rotten flesh anyway?
Even in modpacks where it can be used for stuff I always end up with a chest/storage drawer full of the crap. Does it even have a purpose in vanilla?