Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Ehud posted:

hahaha one of the teams in the tournament today is Dizzy, Mendo and King Richard.

Dizzy is the kid who averages like 20 kills per game and Mendo is the single match kill record holder with 36 individual kills.

How do tournaments for this game work anyways, since custom matches are not a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

SettingSun posted:

What sort of wizardry was afoot for one person to be able to kill 60% of the players themselves. :psyduck:

I usually just ping a syringe in my inventory and your character will say I need healing or something along those lines. If you're standing near a lifeline teammate that usually reminds them they have this useful drone of healing

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Roluth posted:

How do tournaments for this game work anyways, since custom matches are not a thing?

They just toss them into public games and tally the kill/win counts.

It's not a perfectly level playing field, but that's part of the fun of this method.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

quidditch it and quit it posted:

There needs to be a button (on console at least) that says “heal me Lifeline you loving idiot no come back loving come back” because it takes way too longer to type out.

if you hover over medkit or syringe on the consumable ring then ping your character will say "i need health"

lifelines usually get the message if you spam that enough

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It’s always funny when you can’t tell if your pubby teammate is an idiot or an idiot savant. Usually it’s the former.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Roluth posted:

Relentless posted:

They just toss them into public games and tally the kill/win counts.

It's not a perfectly level playing field, but that's part of the fun of this method.

Normally this is true, but Doc's Code Red tournament does it bracket style.

quote:

How To Win:
This is an 8-team double elimination bracket tournament. For each match, your trio will be matched up with another trio. For every round, you will play three maps per match. You win by getting more points than the opposing trio.

Teams will earn points based on the following:

Wins = +8 points

Kills = +1 point

If points are tied after three maps, there will be a fourth map. If points are tied after the fourth map, the last tiebreaker will be more damage dealt on the fourth map. If damage is tied, repeat on fifth map, etc.

Grand Finals rules: Losers Final winner has to win 2 matches. Winners Finals winner only has to win 1 match.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

runchild posted:

Winning as a pair or solo ought to be more impressive, right? I’m pretty proud of the match I won with just one other rando on my team. Regardless it’s very weird that a basic “games won” stat just isn’t available anywhere.

In theory, but in reality solo and duo queues are way easier to win than full squad because you're up against other non-organized groups and generally a lot more newer players than you find in squad games. Individual skill carries you a lot further when you can generally make every situation a series of 1v1s rather than the 1v3 you'll find against someone actively working together

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Have a dumb apex animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7xp59_qqz0

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Bohemian Nights posted:

In theory, but in reality solo and duo queues are way easier to win than full squad because you're up against other non-organized groups and generally a lot more newer players than you find in squad games. Individual skill carries you a lot further when you can generally make every situation a series of 1v1s rather than the 1v3 you'll find against someone actively working together

That’s not what the Wins with Full Squad stat actually means, though. There’s a badge for wins with a full premade squad and I only have one or two of those from the times I’ve grouped up with friendly pubbies. If you add up all my legend’s “Wins with Full Squad” stats you get just a few less than my total wins because of the instances where I won while down a teammate. It’s literally just “You won despite one of your guys discoing? Well no stat for you.”

panda clue
May 23, 2014

lol

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

lagidnam posted:

I'm pretty sure they have a lot more stats internally than we have in the trackers. That stuff alone isn't enough to properly balance a game long time. At least information on how often a certain character dies to the different weapons should be a given. If not then what the gently caress are they doing. The times when kills/deaths/map score were enough for a pvp game are long over.

This is my secret hope for the new patch, just a good stat screen so I can see what I've done.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It would be a bold move to launch a major update/season pass on a Friday but hey I've seen crazy poo poo in gamedev so who knows. I doubt anything is launching today despite that cryptic response from the Respawn CM.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

dudeness posted:

This is my secret hope for the new patch, just a good stat screen so I can see what I've done.

Yes please, I would also love a proper stat page, preferably an open api so you can just pull stats on any username

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The number of Lifelines who never drop a package makes me insane. WE WILL COLLECT AND FEED YOU ACCELERANTS. BRING US THE LOOTS.

LaserTrickShorty
Nov 10, 2017
The waterfall northeast of Slum Lake is my favorite place to start off, there’s four buildings behind the waterfall which always has decent loot.

Repulsor has a disproportionately insane amount of loot, Swamps and Relay have ziplines to help streamline the looting process, IMO the BEST places to land. Thunderdome and The Pit are my FAVE POIs land, though the loot isn’t as plentiful and it’s spread out a bit in those places.

I hate landing Water Treatment, Airbase, Runoff, Bridges, Cascade, Hydrodam and especially Bunker.

I’m sick of Skull Town after landing there pretty much every game for three days straight, but it’s definitely the place to go if you’re looking for fast action.

LaserTrickShorty fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 1, 2019

runchild
May 26, 2010

novaSphere posted:

It would be a bold move to launch a major update/season pass on a Friday but hey I've seen crazy poo poo in gamedev so who knows. I doubt anything is launching today despite that cryptic response from the Respawn CM.

The new rumor is that the Battle Pass won’t drop until March 12th. The original post about it was accompanied by this image. Yeah, a literal photoshop window is kind of suspect, but the design has been pretty consistent across all the leaks and hints so far. Supposedly the poster’s roommate is a contractor and had this up on his computer, and he got the March 12th number from overheard Skype calls. They deleted the original post when it was pointed out that their actions could potentially get their roommate fired, but once you put something on the internet you can never really take it back.

The actual launch of this game notwithstanding, Respawn almost always releases a teaser a day or two before the actual announcement (like they did with the Havoc). So I wouldn’t expect anything substantial to drop today.

Also RE: stats chat - I don’t actually want an accuracy stat because it would disincentive the traditional post-match celebration when you win. Pew pew pew!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The watchtowers are my favorite places to land if I'm not playing Caustic and dropping bunker. They offer just enough to get a squad kitted and allow you to quickly rotate to a high tier loot zone, Repulsor or Artillery, or down into the river valley to loot some houses. It's a very flexible landing spot which I really like.

Skulltown is always reliable and I really enjoy airbase fights, since you usually have one team on either side safely looting for a sec then meeting in the middle to fight.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Relay > either Watchtower > Repulsor/Thunderdome are my favorites, in order.

A cool thing I've started doing when the dropship starts over slum lake-ish is dropping at the balloon/landed shuttle immediately outside of Artillery, looting it, then taking the balloon to the revive beacon at the top of Relay and looting there while everybody else kills each other in the nearer zones.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

runchild posted:

The new rumor is that the Battle Pass won’t drop until March 12th. The original post about it was accompanied by this image. Yeah, a literal photoshop window is kind of suspect, but the design has been pretty consistent across all the leaks and hints so far. Supposedly the poster’s roommate is a contractor and had this up on his computer, and he got the March 12th number from overheard Skype calls. They deleted the original post when it was pointed out that their actions could potentially get their roommate fired, but once you put something on the internet you can never really take it back.

The 12th makes sense, as it's a Tuesday, and I never met a programmer in my life who wanted to release poo poo on Friday.

Although they could actually tell us what's in it today. Doubt it's gonna happen tho, unfortunately. I admit I'm very interested in what's gonna be in it and the value proposition.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The 12th makes sense, as it's a Tuesday, and I never met a programmer in my life who wanted to release poo poo on Friday.

Although they could actually tell us what's in it today. Doubt it's gonna happen tho, unfortunately. I admit I'm very interested in what's gonna be in it and the value proposition.

Same, fingers super-crossed that they go with Fortnite’s “you can earn enough in-game currency for the next battle pass” strategy.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

The number of Lifelines who never drop a package makes me insane. WE WILL COLLECT AND FEED YOU ACCELERANTS. BRING US THE LOOTS.

You should instead feed your ult accelerants to bangarang or gib and then go kill other lifeline groups who have helpfully shown you exactly where they are with their packages.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What, every Diablo and Path of Exile season starts on a Friday so you can grind the weekend. Who the gently caress wants a season of something to start on a Tuesday.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

runchild posted:

The actual launch of this game notwithstanding, Respawn almost always releases a teaser a day or two before the actual announcement (like they did with the Havoc). So I wouldn’t expect anything substantial to drop today.

To be fair, the Havoc is the only new release since launch so that's the only precedent that exists :P

But yeah, I was not expecting anything today, although I'd love to be pleasantly surprised. I really hope the contractor in question doesn't get in trouble for this, although if anything it's building hype for the new season pass. The "N 01" being visible in the photoshop is indeed suspect so I wonder if that was an actual unintended leak or a clever act of non-traditional marketing

beejay posted:

What, every Diablo and Path of Exile season starts on a Friday so you can grind the weekend. Who the gently caress wants a season of something to start on a Tuesday.

Yeah because those are tried and true systems that are literally designed to be on repeat. This is the inaugural launch of a new system for a game and as a dev I'd hate to have that launch on a Friday and then have something break at night, requiring overtime/attention over the weekend

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

beejay posted:

Launching season #17 is less likely to blow up than launching season #1. Not saying they wouldn't release something on a Friday, but there's a reason that most devs don't like launching something totally new on a Friday.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

beejay posted:

Gives time to fix bugs.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Whoops sorry I misread someone saying devs prefer Tuesdays as the players prefer Tuesdays.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

beejay posted:

Whoops sorry I misread someone saying devs prefer Tuesdays as the players prefer Tuesdays.

Oh yeah for sure, having new toys to play with going into the weekend is awesome for players. But it's nice to have them out before the weekend since then people can be available to fix poo poo so it's playable into the weekend :D

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah also it shouldn't be a big deal for a game like this, those other games are all about the initial rush for a lot of people.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I want a stat that shows the median damage of pubbie wraiths in my squad.

I'm guessing it is under 10.

Every single time they instalock wraith, talk poo poo on a poo poo microphone during the pregame then die with 0 damage done.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

beejay posted:

Yeah also it shouldn't be a big deal for a game like this, those other games are all about the initial rush for a lot of people.

Indeed, things like progression servers or season systems in RPGs are all about rushing the world/server firsts. Depending on what the goals in the Battle Pass are I'm sure there'll be some people rushing some of those objectives but :shrug:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the crashes are doing my head in. i love this game but man, it making my friends quit early or making me sit out for half the night is getting really old :(

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Help I tried this and I like it but holy hell am I dog poo poo bad at it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BrightWing posted:

Don't ADS unless you absolutely have to or you're using a pistol. For every other weapon, you slow down too much and make yourself easier to hit. Hip fire is very good with pistols, shotguns, and smgs, decent with rifles and lmgs. There's even a sniper rifle (Triple Take) that can be hipfired effectively. You don't need to ADS as much as you think you do.
Pathfinder, Gibraltar, and Caustic all have big hitboxes that make them easier to hit, so if you're struggling in gunfights, consider picking a different character.
When and where to engage an enemy squad is a valuable skill. If you have roughly equivalent gun skills between two squads, the one that picks the favorable time to engage has the advantage.
Map knowledge is important and only comes with playtime. You will find areas that you do better in because they fit your playstyle better, and vice versa.
Stay with your squad.
Don't drop into heavily populated areas unless you either a) are above-average in gun skill or b) want to learn those areas and/or just get practice with gun fights

Good luck!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

BrightWing posted:

Keep playing and you'll get better :)

I went from being garbage and getting no kills to being average and walking away with 2 - 5 kills a match which still feels really good. Hell I even managed 9 kills once and I felt like a demon. Don't be shy, make sure you get into lots of fights because that's the only way you'll learn. The combat in this game is super accessible unlike some other battle royales and really rewards aggressive play so just keep playing around until you figure out what weapons work well for you.

Highly reccomend Bloodhound and Lifeline because though their kits sound way less flashy and interesting than other characters, Bloodhound makes it really simple to find your enemies and their ult makes you a powerhouse and Lifeline lets you heal faster and do a self heal as well as being a big help to your team. Wraith also has an ability to get her out of combat for a few seconds which can take the pressure off you when you're learning.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Always consider the KDR of people you're willing to take advice from.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not ADSing is definitely good advice. The reticle appears to show possible spread, yeah, but it seems heavily biased towards the center regardless.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Right now it also takes me forever to identify all the poo poo on the ground and figure out what I want and dont want so I end up just keeping the first 2 guns I find and all the ammo for them.

Also is there a way to auto mute your own squad?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BrightWing posted:

Right now it also takes me forever to identify all the poo poo on the ground and figure out what I want and dont want so I end up just keeping the first 2 guns I find and all the ammo for them.

Also is there a way to auto mute your own squad?

If you're on console just do the ole party of one trick

runchild
May 26, 2010

novaSphere posted:

To be fair, the Havoc is the only new release since launch so that's the only precedent that exists :P

If you only consider Apex Legends in a vacuum, sure. But the Havoc release followed the exact same formula they used for Titanfall 2 announcements. A short gif or video (maybe more than one) that hints at new things without outright explaining them, then the full trailer release a day or two later. Seems like the continuation of a longer trend to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

I'm watching Mendo's stream of the tournament and I wonder if it would be a legitimate strategy to go for 2 kills/thirsts per enemy team. Since they are queued with full teams people will probably go for a respawn so there's two potential extra kills per team there.