Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ABraugher/status/1100504748162191360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe they'll let him into the group text now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe they'll let him into the group text now.

I love Holt's texts.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

tarlibone posted:

I love Holt's texts.

He's also a natural at Twitter.

https://twitter.com/5261796d6e6420/status/977277739894915073

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There's a water main break?!?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Renewed for a seventh season!

Apparently ratings are up on the last Fox season, with around 4 million viewers a week.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
CALL ME VELVVVET THUNDER!

(Seriously, awesome news!)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"... blue-gray skin."

https://twitter.com/melissafumero/status/1101301336094588928

https://twitter.com/melissafumero/status/1101301981564395520

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 1, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tonight on a very special episode of B99...

...the return of The Disco Strangler!. "You've succumbed to his groovy voodoo."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So that was a real loving good ep.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Brooklyn 99 S6 - Sweet as Poison Pie

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 1, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
We dont deserve this magical show.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Also, can someone please change the title to s6 and a disco strangler quote?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Brooklyn 99 S6 - Disco is not dead! Disco is life!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That’s a nice thought... for an IDIOT to have.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Azhais posted:

Brooklyn 99 S6 - Disco is not dead! Disco is life!

pls fau

^^ though holt's '... For an IDIOT' line is a great contender ^^

e: or sweet poison pie. Gah, so many wonderful quotes

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

HookShot posted:

That’s a nice thought... for an IDIOT to have.

That's a yo-yo string. The most dangerous part of the yo-yo!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

pls fau

^^ though holt's '... For an IDIOT' line is a great contender ^^

e: or sweet poison pie. Gah, so many wonderful quotes
Let me watch the latest ep tomorrow and I'll figure something out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And the episode was directed by the one and only Stefanie Beatriz. (Melissa Fumero has directed an episode that'll show up later this season!)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Which explains why Rosa didn't show up much.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Brooklyn 99 S6: A nice show... for an IDIOT not to watch

Fake edit: Holt would be picky about splitting an infinitive.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Anyone want to talk about the main topic of the episode?

Now, I would suggest that, even though it shouldn't be, sexual harassment and the routine sexism women face in their day-to-day lives is still a topical issue as far as the media is concerned. Although, the way it's not just subsiding as it has in the past suggests that it may not be "topical" for long. In any event, how did this episode handle the issue? Often, topical issues that creep into sitcoms or drama series are handled badly. It's usually heavy-handed, in a different tone than the show usually is in, and often at last subtly belies the writers' basal ignorance or their casual disregard for the issue.

I think B99 handled this well. For one thing, they didn't drop absurdist humor from the episode--just look at Beefer and the rest of the nickname brigade. Two other things stood out in regards to how the issue was handled. One, it was taken with more than a modicum of seriousness. While the injury to the man was played for laughs, the woman's story was not, even though she herself was silly, and I imagine there is an office-type sitcom called Accountancy-99 where she's the Peralta. Amy's story was also believable; the fact that we'd never heard it before didn't seem like something that was invented just for this episode. I bought it, because it's indicative of what women go through, especially in traditionally male-dominated careers. Well done.

Another thing this episode did well was something that most don't address very realistically, if at all: real-world consequences to the victim. Usually, you have the evil man-bosses twirling their mustaches and cackling evilly at how they'll get away with their dastardly deeds, if the aftermath is addressed. When it's not, the system works perfectly once the evidence, which is iron-clad, is found. In both cases, good triumphs.

Here, we don't really get the happy ending. The woman is going to win her case, and the guy will be convicted. But, she still has to quit because even though her company isn't doing anything to her officially, she's effectively ostracized herself from her coworkers, and in so doing has affected her ability to land clients. In some industries, and at certain levels in corporate America, the ability to bring in business is vital. Lose face with your coworkers, and you'll be on the outside looking in, even when you did nothing wrong.

I appreciated the not-so-happy ending. It was as realistic as this show can get, and it shows that they took the issue seriously.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 1, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

B99 is usually pretty good about this too.

Like the episode where Terry got racially profiled.

The thing is, while we were watching the episode, my fiancé opened up and told me a story about something that happened to her, which really shows how powerful the episode was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I liked Holt telling Hitchcock just to take the rest of the week off. And Hitchcock, once again, calling everyone "cucks".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I liked Holt telling Hitchcock just to take the rest of the week off. And Hitchcock, once again, calling everyone "cucks".

Well, he can call them that. He is, after all, the best at sex.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, as a woman it was a really powerful episode because so much of it really did ring true.

I appreciated that some of the jokes were really knock-out funny, because a lot of that episode wasn't to me, to the point where I actually barely remember the disco strangler plot at all, and when the episode was over, despite the laughs I got from it there was that annoying sense of melancholy that comes from the confrontation of "yeah this is how the world is".

I don't think they could have handled it better, really.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

One of the weirdest things about the first couple of seasons are the constant "title of your sex tape" jokes from Jake towards Amy.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Senor Tron posted:

One of the weirdest things

Title of your sex tape

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

from Jake towards Amy.

CPColin posted:

Title of their sex tape

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

Senor Tron posted:
from Jake towards Amy.

CPColin posted:
Title of their sex tape

I was this close to posting pretty much this!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Senor Tron posted:

One of the weirdest things about the first couple of seasons are the constant "title of your sex tape" jokes from Jake towards Amy.

One of the funniest things you mean

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Let me watch the latest ep tomorrow and I'll figure something out.
I'm pretty happy with this one

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Not only was this episode handling a non-sitcom subject very well, this was the first episode that Stephanie Beatriz directed! A lot of range, from Amy pulling an all-nighter on the couch to the Fugitive stylings of Holt chasing his nemesis. The conversation with Rosa and Amy talking about the victim's situation was one of the most real they've had on the show in a long time.

I wonder what alternative nicknames to "Beefer" got left on the cutting room floor.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty happy with this one

:hai:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
One thing that I almost didn't notice: Holt is so reliving his glory days that when he confronts his nemesis, he's going full old-school--he's pointing a revolver at the bad guy. Everyone else in the scene has a semiautomatic because that's how police roll these days, but Holt is rockin' a 6-shooter.

I'm sure he has an amazingly dry and deadpan list of reasons why he'd be using a revolver. (I know I do!)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

One of the funniest things you mean

Yeah, but only because as the audience we were told it was flirting that Santiago was secretly into.

From Jakes perspective he had no way of knowing that, and it could equally have been sexual harassment of a coworker who we now know had just recently joined that precinct as a result of sexual harassment in her previous workplace.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
At the start of the show, she had been at the 99 for a few years at least. I assume she knew Jake was harmless.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

tarlibone posted:

One thing that I almost didn't notice: Holt is so reliving his glory days that when he confronts his nemesis, he's going full old-school--he's pointing a revolver at the bad guy. Everyone else in the scene has a semiautomatic because that's how police roll these days, but Holt is rockin' a 6-shooter.

I'm sure he has an amazingly dry and deadpan list of reasons why he'd be using a revolver. (I know I do!)

I think Holt has always used a revolver in the series.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FELD1 posted:

At the start of the show, she had been at the 99 for a few years at least. I assume she knew Jake was harmless.
Also presumably they've already built some rapport by the time the show begins - they don't exactly have an extremely professional relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Please nobody bring up Terry Crews twitter for at least a while. For info see the idiots on social media thread.