Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Roblo posted:

That's...not a computer. That's a microfiche reader...

I'm dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

visit your local library!

the big old ones still have a big wall of index cards sorted by topic, and fiche/film readers so you can scan around old local newspapers and find out if marty mcfly saved the clocktower or whatever, its super fun if you're that kind of person

it can also be interesting to read about the town drunk, even if he didnt save the clock tower

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We have a microfiche machine at my work.

We have absolutely no microfiche of any kind and never have in all my years working here. I have no idea why it is here.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Mar 1, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Spare parts catalogues were issued on microfiche by car manufacturers up until the early 2000s. There will be a microfiche reader at your local Toyota dealership basically until the end of time. I doubt they've bothered to digitise the parts catalogue for a 1982 Camry by now, but someone will still want to order a new coolant temp sensor or whatever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

marshmallow creep posted:

We have a microfiche machine at my work.

We have absolutely no microfiche of any kind and never have in all my years working here. I have no idea why it is here.

they trashed the individual microfiches because theyre generally worthless. a microfiche reader was a substantial investment, and probably needs a sign-off to trash (even though its amortized to 0 by now). lemme know how close i am

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
They are also the reader of choice when you need to find out the origin story of the spooky ghost that's haunting you in a horror movie. Just keep an eye out for "thrown in to a well" or other such things, ghosts tend to hold grudges about that of thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They are also the reader of choice when you need to find out the origin story of the spooky ghost that's haunting you in a horror movie. Just keep an eye out for "thrown in to a well" or other such things, ghosts tend to hold grudges about that of thing.

really, any headline that might catch your eye is probably what youre looking for.

tbh I'm rationally pleased that they don't show how painstaking it is to go through microfilm. It loving sucks even if you're super interested in whatever you're looking for. After a while I catch half of myself repeating the names I see "John Doe, Jane Dee, James Deere" like a litany, while the other half is a supremely bored dude ready to holler when the name I'm looking for shows up.

Except usually that part gets bored after 20-30 minutes and I lose some number of pages that I have to look over again... Now consider that it may take days of 9-5 to find something.

:negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Finding poo poo on print is way faster, cause it's closer to random-access (you can leaf over ~200 pages to find page 391 instead of wind ~200 images by the screen and losing count) + you can put a finger in between pages as a temporary bookmark

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Chances are on microfilm you’re gonna be looking through newspapers, which are formatted very consistently. If you’re looking for a specific obituary, for example, you get in a sort of rhythm of going day by day, which is made easy when you’re good with the knobs.

Plus they have a print screen option built in, no need for a copier.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Umbrella Academy:

My IIMM here is how things just happen to them with little buildup or dialogue, and then we just have to accept them as a thing, like when Klaus just straight up Astral Projects his dead brother into existence, complete with his powers, and the ghost tentacles start chucking bad guys through the air. There was little to no build up to it and then once it happens, everyone just shrugs it off.

The entire show suffered from weird pacing issues where the entire story could have been crunched down into a decent 6 episode miniseries, but instead got stretched out into a 10 episode slog. Also, like every other loving thing, no one talks to each other and all of the goddamn conflict could have been resolved entirely by just saying one loving thing.

The fact that Diego loving kills his Robot mom, no one knows, she gets put back together, and you'd think there'd be a buildup to something there. Nope, dropped. The bit about Hargreeves killing himself to bring the family together to prevent the apocalypse, however if he never loving killed himself, Klaus wouldn't have stolen the box which contained his book on secrets, which wouldn't have gotten into the abusive guy's hand, which wouldn't have caused Vanya to stop taking her pills, rediscovering her powers, and cause the loving apocalypse. The fact that he straight up tells Klaus that he killed himself to prevent the apocalypse doesn't work anymore.

Then the loving chimp coming out every time someone discovers some horrible family secret to go "Yep that's right here's exposition" is the laziest loving thing and jesus christ just TALK TO EACH OTHER YOU DUMB FUCKS.

"Oh I didn't know that me using my powers on my sister to make herself believe that she was plain and ordinary was what I was actually doing as a child, I thought I was just helping" Seriously your entire loving power is using your rumor ability to make people do things they wouldn't do otherwise, and the one time it's convenient, you "Forgot"? Lazy lazy lazy.

Whatever, because of it Gerard Way did a cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, so it's not a total loss.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

To be fair the original comic has some pacing issues to imo.

I wish they would have managed to slip in the cosmic poo poo though.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Sound really is a massive part of it. Easy enough to say you can have the "theater experience" at home with a 60+ inch TV in a smaller room, but unless you have sub-bass rumbling your balls with explosions and musical cues or feel surrounded by the aural ambience of the film you really are just getting a half assed experience.

Your tinny TV speakers and muddy soundbar just won't cut it, the only thing that gets close is a surround setup with floor standing speakers.
People overestimate the visual impact of a large screen and complete underestimate the importance of audio.

Watching a Lynch film in theaters is brutally anxiety inducing whereas in your home with no audio system it's easy to escape from and distance yourself.

Horror films at home are basically almost worthless for this reason unless you have a sound system to match your big rear end TV.

I remember hearing this exact same thing from a dude I work with when I bought my big one for the basement. I didn’t wanna spend the money at the time so I scoffed a bit. A few months later I broke and got the whole 7.1 setup with standing speakers for the front and stands/mounting for all the back speakers. My wife is not one to give a poo poo about a/v poo poo in general, she don’t give a poo poo as long as she can see and hear it. The first movie we watched where something blows up right in the beginning, Cowboys vs Aliens. Terrible movie but good beginning explosion, I’ll probably never forget it because it sold me and the wife immediately on spending the money for it. The whole house shook and we immediately looked at each other and started giggling like little kids. To get that type of reaction out of her is a great argument for buying a good sound system, it was a major difference to her and she loved it. We were drinking, I was smoking, eating popcorn, pausing for bathroom breaks. We haven’t been to the theater in years now.

I had to go back groveling to dude at work and ask forgiveness for my sins against the home theater gods.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
My IIMM with Umbrella Academy is that entire loving episode where a bunch of stuff happens and everyone gets some character development for a change and then whoops, time rewinds and it was all loving pointless. Also gently caress them for making me remember that "dancing in the moonlight" exists. :v:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Also on trailers, why does anybody watch them at all if you don’t want to be spoiled? They just give you expectations going in, you should just jump in blind and see what happens.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Xenoletum posted:

My IIMM here is how things just happen to them with little buildup or dialogue, and then we just have to accept them as a thing, like when Klaus just straight up Astral Projects his dead brother into existence, complete with his powers, and the ghost tentacles start chucking bad guys through the air. There was little to no build up to it and then once it happens, everyone just shrugs it off.

The entire show suffered from weird pacing issues where the entire story could have been crunched down into a decent 6 episode miniseries, but instead got stretched out into a 10 episode slog. Also, like every other loving thing, no one talks to each other and all of the goddamn conflict could have been resolved entirely by just saying one loving thing.

The fact that Diego loving kills his Robot mom, no one knows, she gets put back together, and you'd think there'd be a buildup to something there. Nope, dropped. The bit about Hargreeves killing himself to bring the family together to prevent the apocalypse, however if he never loving killed himself, Klaus wouldn't have stolen the box which contained his book on secrets, which wouldn't have gotten into the abusive guy's hand, which wouldn't have caused Vanya to stop taking her pills, rediscovering her powers, and cause the loving apocalypse. The fact that he straight up tells Klaus that he killed himself to prevent the apocalypse doesn't work anymore.

Then the loving chimp coming out every time someone discovers some horrible family secret to go "Yep that's right here's exposition" is the laziest loving thing and jesus christ just TALK TO EACH OTHER YOU DUMB FUCKS.

"Oh I didn't know that me using my powers on my sister to make herself believe that she was plain and ordinary was what I was actually doing as a child, I thought I was just helping" Seriously your entire loving power is using your rumor ability to make people do things they wouldn't do otherwise, and the one time it's convenient, you "Forgot"? Lazy lazy lazy.

Whatever, because of it Gerard Way did a cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, so it's not a total loss.

To the first point it was hinted at when his brother punched someone and Hargreeves outright says he hasn't tapped into his potential when they meet in the afterlife. and the second point Hargreeves was such a bad parent/emotionally distance that all the family was dysfunctional; like there are scenes where they forget Vanya exist. The whole show is basically about the lasting effects of a bad parent.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Coffee And Pie posted:

Chances are on microfilm you’re gonna be looking through newspapers, which are formatted very consistently. If you’re looking for a specific obituary, for example, you get in a sort of rhythm of going day by day, which is made easy when you’re good with the knobs.

oh i know, im speaking from experience. doesnt make it any easier to go through a decade of papers even if you know its somewhere in the probate section on page 3 of every daily issue

e: ok if every newspaper issue has the same page length, you can probably time your ffw-spooling to hit exactly the same page each time (instead of just leafing 2-3 physical pages at the same time), and assuming the editors chose the exact same corner of the page for the probate notifications (so you dont have to scroll around with the knobs), that might get you close to a stack of physical papers in time

the only positives that microfilms have to the reader are that they can have multiple volumes on one spool, and you can zoom without a looking glass (except half the films are off focus).

every other advantage is for librarians and archivists (storage size, wear/tear, and storage size)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Mar 2, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gaunab posted:

To the first point it was hinted at when his brother punched someone and Hargreeves outright says he hasn't tapped into his potential when they meet in the afterlife. and the second point Hargreeves was such a bad parent/emotionally distance that all the family was dysfunctional; like there are scenes where they forget Vanya exist. The whole show is basically about the lasting effects of a bad parent.

Yeah for that untapped potential, there's literally an entire episode where the character in question finds out by accident that they can do this and spends the rest of the episode trying to figure out how.

But yeah the show isn't about a tight team of superheroes, it's about a dysfunctional family that mostly hate each other and want nothing to do with any of their pasts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Harton posted:

Also on trailers, why does anybody watch them at all if you don’t want to be spoiled? They just give you expectations going in, you should just jump in blind and see what happens.

So from paying attention to multiple threads it's so goons can see this two minute trailer and make a snap judgement about it being garbage, talking about it being garbage for months, and then going "huh well maybe that was actually good"

So you get things like "Jumanji 2 is a poo poo movie" "Resident Evil 7 has no combat" "Until Dawn is a poo poo game" "Evil Within has an immortal ghost that chases you the entire game and instantly kills you if it touches you" "Solos entire plot is (goons summarizes things smugly and is 90% wrong)"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In Barefoot and many other similar movies, why do they always brush the pending legal shitstorm under the rug just because the protagonist got bailed out? Paying bail doesn't mean you escape the charge, and in this movie the character had some pretty serious probation violation and additional charges. But nope, daddy pays bail, pays off the loansharks and he gets to live happily ever after with the psych patient he kidnapped and committed various crimes with.

I know romantic comedies tend to be contrived, but don't just leave loose ends dangling, do one of those cheesy still frames with the updates on each character's status like "main guy went to trial, but when the judge saw how in love he was he dismissed all charges!" I'd rather have the bullshit explanation like that than pretending like all troubles are over once someone pays bail.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are people IRL who believe that you can just get bailed out of a real prison sentence

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

according to the sovereign golden fringe, the judge even allowing bail is a tacit admission that the accused is innocent

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Theres a big difference between watching a trailer that is supposed to hype a product or draw in viewers who either don't know the subject matter or need convincing, and a trailer that shows every major beat of the film.

Sure I could read a blurb on wikipedia or rotten tomatoes or ask a friend about said movie/game/tv show/etc, or what if they made trailers like... 1 min and gave me the basic premise of the movie without the problem at the top?

:shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What I'm saying is bring back the golden era of "IN A WORLD [fill in this part with literally anything]" voiceover guy.

I miss him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What I'm saying is bring back the golden era of "IN A WORLD [fill in this part with literally anything]" voiceover guy.

I miss him.

you see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiCwrjV06fI

pretty good

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Harton posted:

I remember hearing this exact same thing from a dude I work with when I bought my big one for the basement. I didn’t wanna spend the money at the time so I scoffed a bit. A few months later I broke and got the whole 7.1 setup with standing speakers for the front and stands/mounting for all the back speakers. My wife is not one to give a poo poo about a/v poo poo in general, she don’t give a poo poo as long as she can see and hear it. The first movie we watched where something blows up right in the beginning, Cowboys vs Aliens. Terrible movie but good beginning explosion, I’ll probably never forget it because it sold me and the wife immediately on spending the money for it. The whole house shook and we immediately looked at each other and started giggling like little kids. To get that type of reaction out of her is a great argument for buying a good sound system, it was a major difference to her and she loved it. We were drinking, I was smoking, eating popcorn, pausing for bathroom breaks. We haven’t been to the theater in years now.

I had to go back groveling to dude at work and ask forgiveness for my sins against the home theater gods.

Images you see, they're always distant from you and two dimensional, even 3D has a disconnect to it, but good, decent audio quality and realistic or immersive sound design emanating from quality speakers can feel real, especially since good audio equipment can replicate lifelike sound better than film mediums can replicate lifelike images, that's what makes film tangible to me imo, you can get in a mindset where the speakers disappear and every sound feels like it's coming from some place in the room with you. That's why it's essential for horror or action films, they draw you in and transport you into a 3D space in the way the projected image can't, then you feel real fear or real intensity, they fill out and give depth to the experience of watching a movie.

That story is consistent as poo poo btw, everyone has that "holy poo poo" moment with their first real audio system with film, since, like you said, it hits you like a hammer when you realize you didn't even know it was something that was sorely missing for you to receive full enjoyment.

Which, speaking of, brings me to one of my biggest per peeves, bad use of stock sound or terrible sound cues.

The most obvious one to me is always going to be that hilarious, goofy loving splat at the climax of an extremely dramatic and significant moment in the recent Les Miserables film. I straight up guffawed outloud at the theater in disbelief.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Xenoletum posted:

Also, like every other loving thing, no one talks to each other and all of the goddamn conflict could have been resolved entirely by just saying one loving thing.

This is my biggest peeve in all media. It's just so loving lazy.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

In Barefoot and many other similar movies, why do they always brush the pending legal shitstorm under the rug just because the protagonist got bailed out? Paying bail doesn't mean you escape the charge, and in this movie the character had some pretty serious probation violation and additional charges. But nope, daddy pays bail, pays off the loansharks and he gets to live happily ever after with the psych patient he kidnapped and committed various crimes with.

I know romantic comedies tend to be contrived, but don't just leave loose ends dangling, do one of those cheesy still frames with the updates on each character's status like "main guy went to trial, but when the judge saw how in love he was he dismissed all charges!" I'd rather have the bullshit explanation like that than pretending like all troubles are over once someone pays bail.

The A-Team movie actually got this right. At the end of the film, the team have cleared their name but still get arrested for breaking out of prison. That film was so loving good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
There's a Hong Kong revenge action film where a guy single handedly destroys some large gang who've kidnapped his son for whatever reason.

The last scene is him driving with his son on a motorboat while some text explains he is arrested and gets life in prison and never sees his son again.

I wish for the life of me I could remember the name, I think it was a Ringo Lam film...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Umbrella Academy just keeps making me picture Resident Evil's high school adaptation, which I'm actually surprised hasn't been done given it's a Japanese series.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The worst movie ever for that was Baby Driver. Baby should have been looking at multiple life sentences and gets out of jail after 5 years.

It's not even a White people justice versus Black people justice argument. Anyone else in that circumstance would never see freedom again.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My irrational irritation with Umbrella Academy was that it got Sinnerman in my head for two days and now I want to watch Thomas Crown Affair.

Otherwise show owned, it's kinda goofy and disjointed but it's a comic book show, I enjoyed almost all of it and the music was awesome (except Dancing in the Moonlight) :shrug: I try not to watch media like a goon though, I do that part afterwards

e: words

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Mar 2, 2019

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pilchenstein posted:

My IIMM with Umbrella Academy is that entire loving episode where a bunch of stuff happens and everyone gets some character development for a change and then whoops, time rewinds and it was all loving pointless.

I really enjoyed the Umbrella Academy overall, but yeah, I 100% agree. Not only do I hate that kind of episode in general (it almost always feels like a waste of time and/or blatant padding) but the UA already had some pacing issues and so having one of those episodes in there very nearly kills the flow of the story stone dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I miss him.

Those stopped because the guy died.

Elissimpark posted:

There's a Hong Kong revenge action film where a guy single handedly destroys some large gang who've kidnapped his son for whatever reason.

The last scene is him driving with his son on a motorboat while some text explains he is arrested and gets life in prison and never sees his son again.

I wish for the life of me I could remember the name, I think it was a Ringo Lam film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkvOfm5Vo0

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Lol no, that wasn't it, but basically the same format.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know, I just wanted to show that off because it is hilarious.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I like how it was done in Keanu, the Key and Peele movie. After a crazy night of pretending to be drug dealers, they get saved by an undercover cop who immediately arrests them for doing multiple crimes/killing people in self defense, and their response is just kind of “yeah that makes perfect sense”

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

I know, I just wanted to show that off because it is hilarious.

I watched several movies during the Shaw Brothers marathon on Twitch a month ago and it was amazing how many sudden endings there were. Compare that to these days where even B-movie shlock has pacing and gets a proper epilogue.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Umbrella Academy just keeps making me picture Resident Evil's high school adaptation, which I'm actually surprised hasn't been done given it's a Japanese series.

That absolutely needs to happen. Reminds me of Dara O'Briain's idea for a non-religious story primary schools can do instead of the nativity at Christmas: Die Hard. There would be no problem getting parents to attend a viewing of Die Hard adapted for five year olds.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sunswipe posted:

That absolutely needs to happen. Reminds me of Dara O'Briain's idea for a non-religious story primary schools can do instead of the nativity at Christmas: Die Hard. There would be no problem getting parents to attend a viewing of Die Hard adapted for five year olds.

I was watching plain old Die Hard when I wasn’t much older than that, and I turned out fine :mrwhite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Die Hard's plot has been ripped off so many times by everything from video games to Star Trek that it's probably already been done.