Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reforger posted:

Got a question. There is a US term similar in meaning to the Russian "monkey model" for capability downgraded export weapons systems.

Do you know it?

We just have our "American's (and some allies) only" upgrade models. All the stuff we sell other people is great though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Reforger posted:

Got a question. There is a US term similar in meaning to the Russian "monkey model" for capability downgraded export weapons systems.

Do you know it?

Property of Saudi Arabia

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Reforger posted:

Do you know it?

"A"model? That would denote an earlier, less capable, variant. F-14A<F-14D.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

That Works posted:

Property of Saudi Arabia

Yard Sale

of exploded bits

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1100776425739743232?s=19

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is the Guardian a publication that I should be paying to support?

Edit whoops definitely wrong thread, sorry

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 1, 2019

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

fickle poofterist posted:

Is the Guardian a publication that I should be paying to support?

They are a left-ish paper that kind of maybe gets it right some of the time?

I support it, but I have long since given up on ever just getting unbiased news, everything seems to have those moments of "what?..."

However they have the best food critic in Grace Dent. Every dish served with a bowl of acid, she's amazing.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Burt posted:

They are a left-ish paper that kind of maybe gets it right some of the time?

I support it, but I have long since given up on ever just getting unbiased news, everything seems to have those moments of "what?..."

That's my concern.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
PM: Don't tell me about the press — I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Times is read by people who actually do run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who own the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read the Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What’s the general consensus on Thatcher’s boobs?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Burt posted:

However they have the best food critic in Grace Dent. Every dish served with a bowl of acid, she's amazing.
Also Marina Hyde and Carole Cadwalladr are loving savages and I love them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deM6R96hnf0 :nws:

warning: ukrainian helmet cam footage from a recon patrol that gets wiped out

I can't really figure out what they're trying to do

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 2, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please link and tag helmet cam footage if people are getting killed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Did the helmet cam dude get his leg blown off by a mine?

Edit: Okay, the Russians actually rescue him and he walks himself to the car after being captured.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 2, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

So they use the deceased's phones to...call their spouses / family and tell them their loved ones are dead in what I assume is this gleefully-sarcastic tone?

Bit of a dick-move, to be honest.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So they use the deceased's phones to...call their spouses / family and tell them their loved ones are dead in what I assume is this gleefully-sarcastic tone?

TBH this was what bothered me most.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It’s kind of hard to tell the inflection of his voice, but it’s certainly a dick move. There’s no easy way to tell a mother her son died, obviously, but imagine getting a call from your child’s caller ID while you’re eating breakfast or something and it’s the unit that killed him. That poo poo is heinous.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 2, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Syrian Lannister posted:

TBH this was what bothered me most.

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic there myself. Out of a video with violence, gore, and dead humans, me mentioning that is kinda indicative of how hosed up that seemed to to me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah I couldn't decide if that was mega psychopathic or kind of a nice gesture? Like I guess it's good to know what happened to him. Mostly leaning toward the former though. It seemed like they were calling his buddy and then his mom got wind and called his phone.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Did the helmet cam dude get his leg blown off by a mine?

Edit: Okay, the Russians actually rescue him and he walks himself to the car after being captured.

Got hit by the mortar that was walking in on them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah I couldn't decide if that was mega psychopathic or kind of a nice gesture? Like I guess it's good to know what happened to him. Mostly leaning toward the former though. It seemed like they were calling his buddy and then his mom got wind and called his phone.

Yeah that's the vibe I got.

"lol, we killed your friend!"

20 minutes and six missed calls later

"Uhh, yeah, sorry to tell you but your son is dead. We're gonna do what we can to repatriate the body though. Sorry about that..."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We all had it backwards. Everbody thought online FPS games were a war simulator to ease teens into dehumanizing the other when it was actually a laboratory to harvest new and exciting PSYOPS concepts from sociopathic 13 year olds

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We all had it backwards. Everbody thought online FPS games were a war simulator to ease teens into dehumanizing the other when it was actually a laboratory to harvest new and exciting PSYOPS concepts from sociopathic 13 year olds

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah that's the vibe I got.

"lol, we killed your friend!"

20 minutes and six missed calls later

"Uhh, yeah, sorry to tell you but your son is dead. We're gonna do what we can to repatriate the body though. Sorry about that..."

Seems like even Russians are afraid of their Eastern European mothers

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
With Russia regularly denying their troop losses in the Ukraine I wouldn't be surprised if calling loved ones to report deaths was an attempt to bypass the political considerations that have gone into official estimates of the dead in this conflict

Or at least I could see it starting that way

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Was accident. In training.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

shame on an IGA posted:

New mouseover text

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nous nous sommes tous trompé. Tout le monde pensais que les jeux FPS en ligne étaient des simulateurs de guerre pour faciliter la déshumanisation de l’ennemie chez les ados mais c’était en fait un laboratoire pour faire developer de nouveaux concepts de guerre psychologique à des ados de treize ans.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

Nous nous sommes tous trompé. Tout le monde pensais que les jeux FPS en ligne étaient des simulateurs de guerre pour faciliter la déshumanisation de l’ennemie chez les ados mais c’était en fait un laboratoire pour faire developer de nouveaux concepts de guerre psychologique à des ados de treize ans.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Appuyez sur ‘F’ pour rendre hommage

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Suce-moi mon queue de l'arrière.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
СУКА!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

you're all dweebs