Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it'd be dumb if do4m had a story segment at the end of every level but not "this game is awful," it'd still be one of the best games to come out in 2016, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

JerryLee posted:

:shrug: My take is that if something is the most amazing new game of the past half-decade or so, which DOOM pretty much is for me, then a game that's 90% as good would still be a pretty good game. Obviously you're entitled to disagree but my gaming life would be pretty empty if I went around purity testing the way you folks seem to.

Forced story poo poo is the worst in FPSes where story doesn't loving matter much at all.

So the fact that Doom 4 barely had them and wanted the momentum to never let up made it all the sweeter.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Goons have bad opinions, news at 11.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Doom 4 we got lost an entire 1 point on a 10 point scale with me for just for that single exposition closet. I'm pretty extreme in my attitude, I'll admit that, but if you had a Doom 4 where that occurred dozens of times you would not end up with a good game that people uniformly praise. Think about old games that couldn't stick to the genre they are and so people have to couch any praise of the game and recommendations with that knowledge. Thats what would happen except possibly worse because its happening with non-gameplay.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 2, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If i had the money i would bring back telltale just to do one telltale doom game to spite this thread

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i must be the only rear end in a top hat that played this game and found the super shotgun underwhelming

One of the signs of an impending stroke is incoherent speech

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If Doom 2016 had the exact same gameplay but two more hours of story/cutscenes, it’d still be an amazing game. I could never imagine being so pedantic as to go “another cutscene?! gently caress this game!” And then not playing it. Everyone’s got their own take and I’m definitely probably in the minority, but generally if I love a game, I barely think of it’s shortcomings. Granted, that also means I’d make a pretty lovely reviewer. I’d give Elite Dangerous a 90+ score because I can play it in VR and it’s fun as gently caress, while I’d be overlooking how much grind and repetition it had.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If i had the money i would bring back telltale just to do one telltale doom game to spite this thread

Someone photoshop an imp in doomguy's hands with RIP to the left and TEAR to the right.

The imp won't remember that

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Barudak posted:

The Doom 4 we got lost an entire 1 point on a 10 point scale with me for just for that single exposition closet. I'm pretty extreme in my attitude, I'll admit that, but if you had a Doom 4 where that occurred dozens of times you would not end up with a good game that people uniformly praise. Think about old games that couldn't stick to the genre they are and so people have to couch any praise of the game and recommendations with that knowledge. Thats what would happen except possibly worse because its happening with non-gameplay.

I just replayed Half-Life 2 and the episodes (admittedly with a combat rebalance mod) and they're still really loving good. So is Wolfenstein TNO.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Barudak posted:

are you that impatient

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

General Battuta posted:

I just replayed Half-Life 2 and the episodes (admittedly with a combat rebalance mod) and they're still really loving good. So is Wolfenstein TNO.

MMod? If so, same.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like exposition and story scenes so to me the game would just be better if it had more of it

See, kid, everyone is different

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Up Circle posted:

are you that impatient

The people who act like id came into their house and beat them with a length of rebar because they spent 45 seconds listening to exposition are the most confusing ones in the thread.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Doom 2016 has a great story until you get locked in an unskipable room of exposition while you cant do anything and when I didnt get 100% on that level the first time I quit the game for a few weeks because that pissed me off that much.

Barudak posted:

itt Barudak during that unskippable cutscene:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

"The Doom 4 we got lost an entire 1 point on a 10 point scale" would be a reasonable reaction to every single mission having an unskippable exposition closet

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I uninstalled DOOM (2016) the moment the "Doomslayer" fist bumped the little green Doom Marine collectible. I don't have any real issues with DOOM having Doom Marine collectibles scattered around Hell--I found several before that point and didn't think anything of it--but you might say that it ripped and tore my immersion to see the Doomslayer fist bumping a toy. Like, are we to believe that this dude who was buried in a magical sarcophagus for eons knows the cultural relevance of something like that? It was a GOTY contender for me but I downgraded it to a fairly mediocre 8/10 after that experience.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YStrXVGt60w

Skip to 1:40, that fatality but Doomguy literally punching a head off and then shaking it from his fist.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I tensed up during that cutscene because I thought Doom Guy and Robot Guy were going to throw down and I didn't want to get caught by surprise.

I walked out of there muttering, "next time". Then the ending cutscene happened and I got real pissed.

I'm gonna rip and tear Robot Man apart.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I uninstalled DOOM (2016) the moment the "Doomslayer" fist bumped the little green Doom Marine collectible. I don't have any real issues with DOOM having Doom Marine collectibles scattered around Hell--I found several before that point and didn't think anything of it--but you might say that it ripped and tore my immersion to see the Doomslayer fist bumping a toy. Like, are we to believe that this dude who was buried in a magical sarcophagus for eons knows the cultural relevance of something like that? It was a GOTY contender for me but I downgraded it to a fairly mediocre 8/10 after that experience.

I would do this if instead of an on the fly animation that allowed you to continue to move and play the game it broke into a 5 minute exposition with a dialog wheel.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I don't understand why I want to play this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

itt Barudak during that unskippable cutscene:

To be fair, this is exactly what the Doom Slayer should have been doing during that cutscene

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JerryLee posted:

To be fair, this is exactly what the Doom Slayer should have been doing during that cutscene

He's cool as a cucumber, he's like Jason or something I think. He only throws stuff or smashes it sometimes. You've gotta have just the right balance of menacing coolness and throwing/smashing. I do recall the topic of how mad he is at all times has come up, it's a good debate either way. Oldschool Doomguy looked pretty cool or "frosty" with his looking around raising an eyebrow in classic Doom. Granted he also looks a bit crazy at times.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

He's cool as a cucumber, he's like Jason or something I think. He only throws stuff or smashes it sometimes. You've gotta have just the right balance of menacing coolness and throwing/smashing. I do recall the topic of how mad he is at all times has come up, it's a good debate either way. Oldschool Doomguy looked pretty cool or "frosty" with his looking around raising an eyebrow in classic Doom. Granted he also looks a bit crazy at times.

doomguy has no cool, and his "rested" state is probably not dissimilar to that of a meth addict

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
plz dont smoke meth yall

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's my secret Vega

I'm always angry

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Not really a secret.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I think the secret ingredient to kicking this Doomslayer cosplay recipe up a notch is a little meth to get into his ever-alert and rageful headspace.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That Hayden sequence owns bones and the game would be worse off without it.

They should definitely allow you to skip it on subsequent playthroughs though.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I hope Doomy Turtle will give us the catharsis of ripping and tearing robo James Spader apart after the blue balls ending to Doom 2016.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Doom 16' is great and some of you extremists need to go get some perspective.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

Represent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just downgraded you to a fairly mediocre buffoon after reading this post

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

sebmojo posted:

I just downgraded you to a fairly mediocre buffoon after reading this post

This is Cream we're talking about, the finest poster on this forum! We've gotta have a retrial here. I think it's a good, funny, humble post.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heavy Metal posted:

This is Cream we're talking about, the finest poster on this forum! We've gotta have a retrial here. I think it's a good, funny, humble post.

Nah it’s too much projecting himself onto doomguy. Trash post, by a trash poster.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Cream of plenty is right you know. It was one of the few missteps in Doom 2016.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cream of Plenty is the forum gift that keeps on giving.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Guillermus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YStrXVGt60w

Skip to 1:40, that fatality but Doomguy literally punching a head off and then shaking it from his fist.

Insane ultra violence but they bleep the word "gently caress." America 2019

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually kind of love how the Doom and Wolfenstein reboots went in complete opposite directions with their respective early-90s ID properties and both made good games. DOOM just focused on having an insanely good fast-paced combat gameplay system that's been optimized to hell and back and actually leaned into making the story comically thin and straight-forward, while Wolfenstein took the most basic and empty of premises and somehow made it a real deep character-driven affecting narrative. And somehow both games work.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Wolfenstein 2 felt worse after playing Doom. I wanted to doomslay the Nazis, not really the games fault but I couldn't get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What if the doom eternal version of the secret Wolfenstein levels is doomguy going through a hell portal and meeting BJ in one of the newer Wolfensteins