Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Turns out that Singapore's PSN accepts adding funds via AliPay as well. Does anyone know how it works there? Because my funds there are in RMB, and not sure how it converts over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope it isn't too much time, I have until Tuesday off so it was a great moment to let myself finally play one of these newfangled games (probably going for V, and if I like that, continue with X and T).

I mean, it's not like I won't do it otherwise, but I do have a lot of free time right now.

Mine has now gone through and I've got my codes and preorder and everything done. So hopefully shouldn't be more than 24 hours.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah but the Rising has no good moves and is a mildly weird 'samurai's wife' design.

It's weird because it's technically suppose to be the superior Gundam to God and Shining, but the show and thus SRW both treat it as much weaker overall, no matter who pilots it.

So, I just prefer the Shining, since at least it gets finishers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Rain suddenly showing up in the Shining would definitely make me happy.

edit: one thing I never got about SRW going all the way back to Impact is why they made the Shining Finger and God Finger animations the same. Isn't the whole idea of the God Finger that he impales them under the ribcage and lifts them up? To me that was always 100x more badass than grabbing their face.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 3, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Light Gun Man posted:

Mine has now gone through and I've got my codes and preorder and everything done. So hopefully shouldn't be more than 24 hours.

Hopefully not. Mine's still on verifying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/srw_game/status/1102116398787190784

There's no sign of a Gespenst Kick, and 3/4 of the replies to that tweet are asking about it. If it doesn't have it I might have misjudged the SRW team's love of awesome robot things.

edit: or the Jet Magnum, so what are we even talking about here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it is like V then it will probably upgrade to get them

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

If it is like V then it will probably upgrade to get them
The tweet says that it's upgraded later to get the Slash Ripper.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Between this, and no Love Love Tenkyoken, my hype for T is deflating by the day.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo_Crimson posted:

Between this, and no Love Love Tenkyoken, my hype for T is deflating by the day.
It's like they're saving them for a sequel, except there's no reason to think there will be one.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's no sign of a Gespenst Kick, and 3/4 of the replies to that tweet are asking about it. If it doesn't have it I might have misjudged the SRW team's love of awesome robot things.

This is the original Gespenst R, which had neither Gespenst Kick nor Jet Magnum. Jet Magnum was from the Alpha 1 Mk. II, and Gespenst Kick/Punch is from Gespenst S, which this thing has clearly never been from the previews.

That doesn't mean that the Gespenst S isn't in. Just that this unit isn't the Gespenst S.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 3, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kchama posted:

This is the original Gespenst R, which had neither Gespenst Kick nor Jet Magnum. Jet Magnum was from the Alpha 1 Mk. II, and Gespenst Kick/Punch is from Gespenst S, which this thing has clearly never been from the previews.

That doesn't mean that the Gespenst S isn't in. Just that this unit isn't the Gespenst S.
What's the thing on it's arm though, if not a Jet Magnum?

Edit: I guess this is a question about old SRW rather than this game specifically.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 3, 2019

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hopefully not. Mine's still on verifying.

Huh, OffGamers deliveries taking that long for people is kinda weird, never taken more than a few minutes for me.
Maybe I've just ordered when they haven't been busy or something?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the thing on it's arm though, if not a Jet Magnum?

Edit: I guess this is a question about old SRW rather than this game specifically.

It's where the unit stores its Plasma Cutters. The Mk. II uses the stored Plasma Cutters for the Jet Magnum attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sH43saK-4 <-- You can see it in action here.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Is play-asia the only place to get english switch physically? Because it's rather pricy. (90$ before shipping, geezus)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cyflan posted:

Huh, OffGamers deliveries taking that long for people is kinda weird, never taken more than a few minutes for me.
Maybe I've just ordered when they haven't been busy or something?

It cancelled my order. I think the problem's on my side though, it keeps rejecting my credit cards, regardless of whether I use Paypal or just pay directly with them. It sucks.

And now if I try to pay it doesn't let me pay by credit card or Paypal at all. Great.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 3, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's just...so sad. There couldn't be a more iconic attack for the Gespenst than the Kick, or the Jet Magnum...and they give us the Slash Ripper?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hunter Noventa posted:

That's just...so sad. There couldn't be a more iconic attack for the Gespenst than the Kick, or the Jet Magnum...and they give us the Slash Ripper?

What did you expect with the bog standard type R?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Inferno-sama posted:

sounds like the solution would be not to use the Type R?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

How long does standard speed delivery take for a playasia pre-order?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Blaze Dragon posted:

It cancelled my order. I think the problem's on my side though, it keeps rejecting my credit cards, regardless of whether I use Paypal or just pay directly with them. It sucks.

And now if I try to pay it doesn't let me pay by credit card or Paypal at all. Great.
Usually check your mailbox for any verification emails when this happens and call your bank, although I haven't used that particular site. It's strange that PayPal would get blocked.

That site is probably fringe enough that verification emails might end up in spam.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Inferno-sama posted:

It's actually kind of weird, since the Gespenst R, as far as I remember, had no Slash Ripper in the original games. Definitely not in F/F Final. If I remember correctly, the Gespenst Mk. II (both types) had it, with the R having it as its finisher.

It's possible we just didn't get the Gespenst Kick/Punch because they were secrets in the original games.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Still don't know if I'm going PS4 or Switch yet; at the very least, my boss did let me know that "i've checked the gently caress out on this Friday and I've brought my switch to work" can fly to some degree, so I would like to be having Domon merc people at work.

But besides playasia, are there any other reliable options for getting a physical Switch release to the US?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DrManiac posted:

You're looking at 2 to 3 weeks at the least. And unless you're there to sign for it, you'll likely have to go to the post office with a slip, rather than just coming home to it in your mailbox.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

EMS usually has it to me on the US east coast in 3 or 4 days. SAL takes several weeks and the discount usually isn’t worth the wait unless you’re ordering a literal ton of stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I started Fantasy Maiden Wars Scarlet (E? Kou? The first one, I do not really know what is going on with the naming convention). I am not completely familiar with Touhou so I only expected a fun SRW alike. What I didn't expect was something genuinely good. Only a couple of minor gripes:

- No indicator of how much an attack costs on the attack screen so you may end up blowing half your MP on a counterattack on a mook with less than 500 HP left.
- Oh god stop with the shrine maiden armpit fixation.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 4, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

I started Fantasy Maiden Wars Scarlet (E? Kou? The first one, I do not really know what is going on with the naming convention). I am not completely familiar with Touhou so I only expected a fun SRW alike. What I didn't expect was something genuinely good. Only a couple of minor gripes:

- No indicator of how much an attack costs on the attack screen so you may end up blowing half your MP on a counterattack on a mook with less than 500 HP left.
I can't remember the attack screen well enough to comment on the first one but you'd better just get used to the second one.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Unlucky7 posted:

From what I remember of FMW: Scarlet, your counterattack defaults to the strongest attack you can use, so you'll have to get used to manually going into the menu and picking a more appropriate one. I remember it's not as awful in practice as it is in theory, since a lot of your units' finishers have a lot less range compared to the average enemy's attack, but yeah it's an annoying extra bit of attention to put into the game. It's a good game! Not sure what the state of translation patches is, though.

But yeah, miko armpit is unfortunately a stupid Touhou meme. Hopefully the quality and quantity of SRW references will outweigh it. If you listen closely, a lot of characters' battle themes are references to SRW tracks! I think Alice's theme is a reference to Marionette Messiah, appropriately enough, and all the tracks are as good as you'd expect from a Touhou fangame.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Remilia's theme in FMW is so good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh dont most of the mildly pervy jokes stop after the first game? the character bios get way less weird and you dont get the random lines from dudes in the village. so the second one will go away too, and the humor will get much more based on actual character interaction.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

lightrook posted:

From what I remember of FMW: Scarlet, your counterattack defaults to the strongest attack you can use, so you'll have to get used to manually going into the menu and picking a more appropriate one. I remember it's not as awful in practice as it is in theory, since a lot of your units' finishers have a lot less range compared to the average enemy's attack, but yeah it's an annoying extra bit of attention to put into the game. It's a good game! Not sure what the state of translation patches is, though.

The current translation patches are here.

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=21389.0

The patches for the second and third game are complete but with caveats that they mention in their respective readmes. Specifically, the Gensokyo Chronicle, in battle dialogue, some menus, chapter titles, and objectives are not translated in the second game and I think it is more or less the same in the third.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All four FMW soundtracks are in my top ten game soundtracks ever. 1 is comparatively the weakest one I think but that's not saying much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Really looking forward to FMW Complete.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Extremely timely to the topic but while SRW AP was likely intended towards the more challenging side of things (no reason to implement a Fixed Seed to prevent save scumming otherwise... although they bungled the implementation), I believe it's been stated that they accidentally overshot.

I still think the difficulty's been overstated and I am kind of wondering if the average SRW community gameplay experiences with tactical RPGs is enclosed to just the SRW games. There's definitely a lot of things to say about the difficulty in these games though that I guess I won't go into.

On the Gespenst issue, I don't think the Slash Ripper is going to be the only added weapon and that's just the thing they're teasing - I assume they're not going to play all their cards right on the table.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's hard to compare SRW A Portable to other SRPGs directly due to SRW's unique implementation in the SRPG realm, but I personally take issue with any SRPG where certain characters are complete dead ends (Jagens in Fire Emblem, any Gundam character without Strike in A Portable). The same goes for dead-end upgradable units with no refund option. I don't like any game where you can just pigeonhole yourself into being physically incapable of progressing past a given difficulty spike due to lack of foresight or outside knowledge. I give SRW games from Alpha onward a pass in this regard not because they avoid having straight-up terrible choices, but because they're forgiving enough that they're winnable without upgrades, so you aren't overly punished for poor resource allotments. A Portable is the outlier here because you don't get that leeway in that game.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Hokuto posted:

It's hard to compare SRW A Portable to other SRPGs directly due to SRW's unique implementation in the SRPG realm, but I personally take issue with any SRPG where certain characters are complete dead ends (Jagens in Fire Emblem, any Gundam character without Strike in A Portable). The same goes for dead-end upgradable units with no refund option. I don't like any game where you can just pigeonhole yourself into being physically incapable of progressing past a given difficulty spike due to lack of foresight or outside knowledge. I give SRW games from Alpha onward a pass in this regard not because they avoid having straight-up terrible choices, but because they're forgiving enough that they're winnable without upgrades, so you aren't overly punished for poor resource allotments. A Portable is the outlier here because you don't get that leeway in that game.

My favorite feature in Coffin of the end actually took this into consideration and actually allowed you to refund and redistribute PP at any time which allowed you to experiment with all sorts of crazy combinations you normally wouldn't mess around with. In fact the other awesome feature in the game is when you get a character to a certain level you are allowed to pick any spirit command you want to fill in their final command.

edit: the game still turns into the usual winkysoft slog at the end but the features made it much more enjoyable than the previous attempts.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Hokuto posted:

It's hard to compare SRW A Portable to other SRPGs directly due to SRW's unique implementation in the SRPG realm, but I personally take issue with any SRPG where certain characters are complete dead ends (Jagens in Fire Emblem, any Gundam character without Strike in A Portable).... A Portable is the outlier here because you don't get that leeway in that game.
This is a philosophically sound design policy but I don't think in practice it actually applies to the games stated - to get it out of the way since it's a separate franchise, most Jagens in Fire Emblem are considered top tier AND end-game viable and I'm not even including the ones that are usually known as "Oifeys" (the ones have decent stat growths in theory). The original big J himself with his 10% growths counts and I'm fairly certain people have completed Jagen Solos.

On to AP, as someone who has beaten it multiple times without NG+ bonuses before the general meta composition emerged, it is nowhere near that unforgiving as far as unit deployment choices go - the actual resource allocation trap is actually more likely to be sinking money into acquiring FUBs rather than weapons as most of them are not worth the investment, but in theory there's no way the game will ever become "unwinnable" because the Game Over Trick exists.

(A response to that statement would likely be "Oh but I don't want to be forced to grind to win the game" so I will state that I'm only stating that fact as a theoretical out and it's entirely optional with high level play.)

The post-Alpha SRW games do not "punish poor resource allocation" only in so far that most of them are so undertuned that it doesn't really matter what you upgrade for anyone not playing on Ex-Hard or doing challenge runs, which I don't think is really commendable for a game that purports to be a SRPG. As is, most of the entertainment factor of modern SRW is non-gameplay based - the writing and the animations.

(I feel I might be focusing a little too much on "difficulty" in this post when it comes to the topic of game design because it is not really my belief that every SRPG has to be Thracia 776 of ball busting. I think my final takeaway would be that modern SRW generally low difficulty is mostly a band-aid on heavily flawed design decisions that has been made or forced upon its creators due to circumstances and that there are many SRPGs that have fun gameplay despite low difficulty unlike SRW, but that would probably require a whole post on its own and "fun" is subjective)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Davzz posted:

The post-Alpha SRW games do not "punish poor resource allocation" only in so far that most of them are so undertuned that it doesn't really matter what you upgrade for anyone not playing on Ex-Hard or doing challenge runs, which I don't think is really commendable for a game that purports to be a SRPG. As is, most of the entertainment factor of modern SRW is non-gameplay based - the writing and the animations.

(I feel I might be focusing a little too much on "difficulty" in this post when it comes to the topic of game design because it is not really my belief that every SRPG has to be Thracia 776 of ball busting. I think my final takeaway would be that modern SRW generally low difficulty is mostly a band-aid on heavily flawed design decisions that has been made or forced upon its creators due to circumstances and that there are many SRPGs that have fun gameplay despite low difficulty unlike SRW, but that would probably require a whole post on its own and "fun" is subjective)

I get what you're saying and generally agree with it. The status quo as it is has been growing stagnant and buckling under the weight of its holdovers. Having a cool story and art and animations makes up for it in large part, but not in whole.

As an aside, the extreme example of this is probably Sakura Wars. When I was showing the games to some friends, Kanos made a remark that I wasn't really able to refute—That the battles in Sakura Wars were largely just pointless time filler and window dressing, and the game could prop itself up perfectly fine as a straight-up visual novel without them. Obviously that doesn't apply to SRW because the whole point of SRW is both getting your toys and being able to mash them against each other, but it's something I've been thinking more about lately. I'm not sure what my ideal is, there. Maybe Valkyria Chronicles.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Hokuto posted:

That the battles in Sakura Wars were largely just pointless time filler and window dressing, and the game could prop itself up perfectly fine as a straight-up visual novel without them.
As someone who went back to play the original recently, I actively had to cheat not because of difficulty issues but because the battles were just so tedious I just wanted to get back to reading the plot - makes me curious about how the new game is going to tackle gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Davzz posted:

Extremely timely to the topic but while SRW AP was likely intended towards the more challenging side of things (no reason to implement a Fixed Seed to prevent save scumming otherwise... although they bungled the implementation), I believe it's been stated that they accidentally overshot.

I still think the difficulty's been overstated and I am kind of wondering if the average SRW community gameplay experiences with tactical RPGs is enclosed to just the SRW games. There's definitely a lot of things to say about the difficulty in these games though that I guess I won't go into.

On the Gespenst issue, I don't think the Slash Ripper is going to be the only added weapon and that's just the thing they're teasing - I assume they're not going to play all their cards right on the table.

It's been a long time since I played A Portable, and I have gotten better at the series in general since I did play it, but the thing I remember the most was that although the game was more challenging than W there was a massive difficulty spike in the last 3 missions. I squeezed through the second last mission by chipping away at the boss and then got to the final mission which just slammed me. A dozen miniboss Geshpents only to build morale from and a 10 turn time limit to beat Zweizergain was more than I could handle. I did start abusing the game over trick for a while but it grew tiring and I put the game down and never picked it back up.