Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Slutitution posted:

lmao

Watch out, I might say 9/11 was a hoax next.

Try saying something funny first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snack Zyder

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Equeen posted:

I don't have to; Zack Snyder films are hilariously bad all on their own. Apologies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bud, it's right in Man of Steel during the Zod fight. It can

This is something a deep cover agent would say. Been to Moscow lately, comrade?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Equeen posted:

His posts are funny, in a sad clown kind of way

He totally is a snack tho. Dude's ripped.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
https://twitter.com/zacksnyder/status/1101544093417500673?s=21

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

http://www.artcenter.edu/connect/events/snyder-directors-cuts.html

For you Californians.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress me, 100 dollars for a ticket. :sigh:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Expensive, but I got tix for the BvS one

Gunna be nice after years of the insanity regarding this film on the forum to finally hear from and speak to the man himself.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If not for the ailing health of my partner, I would no joke travel to California from Europe just for this. Sucks so bad that I will miss this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The art accurately represents the current state of the Author

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

McCloud posted:

His posts are funny, in a sad clown kind of way

This is what most of us think about Zack Snyder films.

Violator
May 15, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Expensive, but I got tix for the BvS one

Gunna be nice after years of the insanity regarding this film on the forum to finally hear from and speak to the man himself.

Dang, hope you provide a trip report. Should be super interesting.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'm gonna be in LA for vacation but I can't make any of those and it really bums me out that I can't watch BvS with a director's Q&A afterwords because that sounds dope as hell

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I've already planned a few big trips this year and don't have the disposable income to get out to LA on that short notice (plus I think that's the weekend we are celebrating my wife's birthday which probably wouldn't go over well haha)

but that is dope as hell and the people who are going need to ask good questions; like how his Randian beliefs influenced his take on Pa Kent

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"Hello Mr. Snyder, huge fan, thanks for taking your time to answer these questions. Anyway, I was wondering... what if Man of Steel were in color??"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"How long did it take Lex to make the tea"

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I ask Snyder fans ITT how in the gently caress do you admire a man who's an unapologetic Randian Objectivist shithead?

Martman posted:

"Hello Mr. Snyder, huge fan, thanks for taking your time to answer these questions. Anyway, I was wondering... what if Man of Steel were in color??"

The color grading in Snyder films has got to be the only thing that isn't bad about them IMO.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Slutitution posted:

Can I ask Snyder fans ITT how in the gently caress do you admire a man who's an unapologetic Randian Objectivist shithead?

Lol you're just a joy

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Slutitution posted:

But you are one of those reactionary cranks who thinks that Kathleen Kennedy is trying to sap his masculine energy. Surely the imaginary objectivism is a saving grace?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ferrinus posted:

But you are one of those reactionary cranks who thinks that Kathleen Kennedy is trying to sap his masculine energy. Surely the imaginary objectivism is a saving grace?

How does it feel to admire a man who produces even worse films than Kathleen Kennedy has lately?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Slutitution posted:

How does it feel to admire a man who produces even worse films than Kathleen Kennedy has lately?

If you think they’re bad, we can safely conclude that they are not actually right-wing in their politics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

I'm able to because him being that is, essentially, a bizarre internet meme unsupported by reality. :shrug: Man of Steel is, if anything, a super explicit rejection of Randian philosophy, landing somewhere closer to Brad Bird's whole "exceptional people should use their talents for the common good" motif.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm able to because him being that is, essentially, a bizarre internet meme unsupported by reality. :shrug:

Snyder is an admirer of Ayn Rand though.

quote:

Given all your involvements, do you have time to develop anything outside of [BvS]?

ZACK: We have The Last Photograph that I've been working on for a long time. It's a small, sort of weird project about a war photogra­pher in Afghanistan. I have been working on The Fountainhead. I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something. Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit.

I don't think it's The Problem With Snyder's Movies or anything like that but the Objectivist stuff didn't originate with film critics reading too deeply into his work.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cease to Hope posted:

Snyder is an admirer of Ayn Rand though.

I don't think it's The Problem With Snyder's Movies or anything like that but the Objectivist stuff didn't originate with film critics reading too deeply into his work.

"such a thesis on the creative process" = "I'm a big fan of all her work and follow her ideology."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

"such a thesis on the creative process" = "I'm a big fan of all her work and follow her ideology."

Rand only wrote two books, and the Fountainhead is the one focused chiefly on laying out her worldview and philosophy. It's about a creative man whose work is so misunderstood by the mindless proles and jealous leeches than he ultimately destroys his public housing project rather than allowing it to be used by the unappreciative. Rather than facing any consequences for this, he lauded as morally correct and a genius for doing so, and goes on to make a new building, free from the fetters of public service.

(Also the ostensibly sympathetic protagonist is a rapist but I don't think that's really how Rand meant for that scene to be read.)

I think it is reasonable to describe him as an Objectivist if he feels that this is a thesis on the creative process and what it means to create something, because Rand certainly intended it to be a thesis on etc. etc.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you seriously don't understand how a book specifically about a creator fighting to preserve their vision for a work against interference from outside parties might appeal to a filmmaker for reasons completely unrelated to the authors politics, then you have no loving business talking about art

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you seriously don't understand how a book specifically about a creator fighting to preserve their vision for a work against interference from outside parties might appeal to a filmmaker for reasons completely unrelated to the authors politics, then you have no loving business talking about art

This. Also, thesis isn't automatically an endorsement. I would take Snyder's words as him thinking it's an interesting exploration of the creative process, he doesn't necessarily have to agree with it.

But CtH is clearly already set on this loving idiotic argument and by god, they will fill pages with it no matter what others might say.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

those are the politics though. the elevation of genius over the wicked manipulators and unappreciative masses is objectivism. serving your own desires and whims is the highest ideal, and anyone who demands anything else of you is just holding you back.

you're just saying he's an objectivist for reasons. well duh, it's not like god made him that way.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Seems to me he intentionally described the work in an extremely narrow way to avoid the political part, which would be weird if he liked the political part

Also MOS/BVS are outright rejections of that philosophy

Also even if you were right, that quote isn’t “admiration”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

Seems to me he intentionally described the work in an extremely narrow way to avoid the political part, which would be weird if he liked the political part

You are describing Fountainhead as though it had some "apolitical" part that is commentary on the creative process. It does not. The story about the creative process is the political part. Roarke gives a speech at the end laying out the themes of the book in very clear terms: creative men are ones responsible for the entirety of human progress, everyone else is a wrecker or a leech on them, and those creative men will one day realize they don't need lesser people for anything.

quote:

The creators were not selfless. It is the whole secret of their power—that it was self-sufficient, self-motivated, self-generated. A first cause, a fount of energy, a life force, a Prime Mover. The creator served nothing and no one. He lived for himself.

And only by living for himself was he able to achieve the things which are the glory of mankind. Such is the nature of achievement.

quote:

No work is ever done collectively, by a majority decision. Every creative job is achieved under the guidance of a single individual thought. An architect requires a great many men to erect his building. But he does not ask them to vote on his design. They work together by free agreement and each is free in his proper function. An architect uses steel, glass, concrete, produced by others. But the materials remain just so much steel, glass and concrete until he touches them. What he does with them is his individual product and his individual property. This is the only pattern for proper co-operation among men.

The first right on earth is the right of the ego. Man’s first duty is to himself. His moral law is never to place his prime goal within the persons of others. His moral obligation is to do what he wishes, provided his wish does not depend primarily upon other men. This includes the whole sphere of his creative faculty, his thinking, his work. But it does not include the sphere of the gangster, the altruist and the dictator.

It goes on like this for pages! The jury is stunned, everyone stares at him in awe, then the story ends happily ever after for him.

What do you think an Objectivist is?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

You are describing Fountainhead as though it had some "apolitical" part that is commentary on the creative process. It does not. The story about the creative process is the political part. Roarke gives a speech at the end laying out the themes of the book in very clear terms: creative men are ones responsible for the entirety of human progress, everyone else is a wrecker or a leech on them, and those creative men will one day realize they don't need lesser people for anything.

It goes on like this for pages! The jury is stunned, everyone stares at him in awe, then the story ends happily ever after for him.

Are you ever not wrong about anything?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

You are describing Fountainhead as though it had some "apolitical" part that is commentary on the creative process.

No I’m not. I’m describing what he says he took away from it, which is very narrow

Also MOS/BVS are outright rejections of that philosophy

Also even if you were right, that quote isn’t “admiration”

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
What political part of Fountainhead do you think Snyder disagrees with?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cease to Hope posted:

those are the politics though. the elevation of genius over the wicked manipulators and unappreciative masses is objectivism. serving your own desires and whims is the highest ideal, and anyone who demands anything else of you is just holding you back.

you're just saying he's an objectivist for reasons. well duh, it's not like god made him that way.

The thing is, while that's an evil statement applied broadly, Snyder's reading of Fountainhead applies it narrowly.

Serving your own ideals and whims in the production of your art is somewhat different from doing that in governance, and much more defensible.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

It’s true: the workers, the true engine of creation, should act as a class in and for themselves rather than allow the parasitic, dictatorial, gangster-like bosses to sap them of their energy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

Literally nobody knows or can answer this because the entirety of his statement about it is "I think it's interesting and have been working on it". We're not the ones using that single quote to retrofit his entire political belief structure to fit our opinion on him as a, let's see, "unapologetic Randian Objectivist shithead"

Like, do you agree with that assessment of him as a person?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cease to Hope posted:

What about Fountainhead do you think Snyder agrees with? What about his work demonstrates this?

Asking other people to argue the negative is just tricking other people to make your point on your behalf. Do your own homework.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 3, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hey AccountSupervisor, in the Q&A outright ask Zack Snyder if he's an Objectivist who follows Ayn Rand's philosophy so we can put this dumb poo poo to rest. Or ask him to clarify his The Fountainhead statement in that quote posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Hey, Zack, have you stopped apologising for being a Randian Objectivist shithead yet?" :v: