Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Oh...oh no
I am scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

FELD1 posted:

At the start of the show, she had been at the 99 for a few years at least. I assume she knew Jake was harmless.

Yeah. But, here's the thing... that doesn't matter.

In real life, that kind of good-natured ribbing from a male coworker who, for the sake of this example, is a 100% pure, totally harmless fellow, still can make the workplace uncomfortable for a female coworker. It doesn't matter that the person making those jokes doesn't mean anything by it. In a hypothetical example, our totally harmless guy will be making those jokes all the time--it's his shtick, and pretty much everybody seems to find it funny. After all, they're all grown-ups, he's actively hitting on anyone, he's not using his position in the hierarchy to force women into things they don't want to do, etc. He's just joking, you know? It's a joke! Don't you get jokes? You even joke, bro?

Some women may find that annoying. But, they don't say anything at first, because it's just a little annoying. Then as it becomes more irritating, they don't say anything because everyone else seems to enjoy it, and they don't want to make waves or be seen as a buzzkill. Then as it continues, it becomes the kind of thing that's so annoying and insulting that those women begin to avoid the guy who, again, means absolutely no harm. They don't say anything at this point because it's been going on for so long that they think it'd be weird if they spoke up only now. Also, they may not say anything because they don't want the person to get fired. They just want to be left alone, but not at the cost of getting someone poo poo-canned.

The thing is, if one woman fits that description, she might well think she's alone, and that's why she never says anything about the constant sex jokes--she just wants to go with the flow and get through the day, and for her, dealing with boorish behavior isn't too big of a deal, not when there are actual Harvey Weinsteins out there who do much, much worse. But, once one person complains, she quickly finds out that she wasn't alone, and Mr. Harmless has been making life at work hell for a lot of people for a long time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to say I think it's sad that we as a society can no longer laugh at the phrase "broken penis," and it is my dream that we one day shall again.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just want to say I think it's sad that we as a society can no longer laugh at the phrase "broken penis," and it is my dream that we one day shall again.

Was anyone else wondering if Jake would go into the world's bestworst "I Have A Dream" routine when that came up?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Straight up the 'haha title of your sex tape' stuff was almost enough to make me bounce off the show. But I knew Amy and Jake were going to hook up so it was 'ok'...but I still loving hated it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can we all at least agree that Jake's whispered "Title of our sex tape!" after they finally get together is one of the best joke payoffs the show's done?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

big dyke energy posted:

Straight up the 'haha title of your sex tape' stuff was almost enough to make me bounce off the show. But I knew Amy and Jake were going to hook up so it was 'ok'...but I still loving hated it.

The whole cast gets in on that at panels all the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think the Jake/Amy dynamic gets ignored because the Charles/Rosa one is so uncomfortable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the Jake/Amy dynamic gets ignored because the Charles/Rosa one is so uncomfortable.

The show at least acknowledged that one very quickly and backed off from it.
And I feel like there's a definite recalibration of the Jake/Amy dynamic from the pilot up through the payoff to the bet storyline, where it feels like Jake was originally a much more obnoxious PUA 'ladies' man' type who was actually trying to make Amy go out with him, and they adjusted to 'he's going to make her go on a comically awful date as a gag' pretty early.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The show at least acknowledged that one very quickly and backed off from it.
And I feel like there's a definite recalibration of the Jake/Amy dynamic from the pilot up through the payoff to the bet storyline, where it feels like Jake was originally a much more obnoxious PUA 'ladies' man' type who was actually trying to make Amy go out with him, and they adjusted to 'he's going to make her go on a comically awful date as a gag' pretty early.
Yeah they mention the joke bad date part in the first episode but it's a very quick line. I think the show asks you to have faith in the idea that you're just supposed to like these characters. B99 ultimately pulled it off. Scrubs didn't.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Boyle's whole shtick is "creepy as hell but also completely non-threatening" and it's been better this season but man it was really bad for a long-rear end time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Uh actually the couch chat here has the tweet. Im sure itll show up in iosm tho

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah they mention the joke bad date part in the first episode but it's a very quick line. I think the show asks you to have faith in the idea that you're just supposed to like these characters. B99 ultimately pulled it off. Scrubs didn't.

The line I recall from the pilot is Gina saying Jake's sure he's gonna get some under the blouse action, which doesn't really jibe with the joke date thing.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

tarlibone posted:

He's just joking, you know? It's a joke! Don't you get jokes? You even joke, bro?

I really hope my post didn't come across as such.

Definitely see your point, but I stand by my defense of the show's choice to use that particular running joke.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

FELD1 posted:

I really hope my post didn't come across as such.

Definitely see your point, but I stand by my defense of the show's choice to use that particular running joke.

Oh, no, your post was fine. After all, we're talking about a show on TV. It's fiction, and we know that in this situation, Jake is harmless, and Amy isn't really bothered by his brand of humor. We know this for a fact because as far as the show's universe is concerned, we're all basically omniscient observers. I was just pointing out that "he's harmless" is something that, in real life, doesn't matter, and it's easy to forget that because we tend to hear "sexual harassment" and think we only have to worry about the Matt Lauers of the world.

A while back in another thread, when sexism and sexual harassment in the workplace came up, I shared some details of my personal experience years ago with a coworker of mine who was, now that I think about it, pretty much Jake Peralta. He was harmless, and he was also clueless as to how he came off to people. To be fair to him, I didn't see his behavior as anything but how people see Jake's behavior on this show--cheeky and fun. But, this guy's behavior rubbed one of his female coworkers the wrong way, and she kept it quiet for quite a while, laughing along with everyone else. Then one day he did one more thing (I think he put his hand on her shoulder or something... it was years ago, but I remember it wasn't a sexual gesture or badtouch), and that was the last straw. She reported him and he was fired. She felt bad about it, too, because she knew he didn't mean any harm, but at the same time, he was making life at work hell for her and she'd had enough. This was, by the way, the first explicit indication anyone gave him that his behavior wasn't sitting well with someone.

I think what will be interesting is watching the show to see if the writers drop the whole "title of your sex tape" thing, or if they relegate it to non-work situations. I mean, let's face it: this is their "Me Too" episode, so let's sit back and see how much of the point they actually got. If we lose that joke, then I'm not worried because I'm confident that these writers can come up with something even funnier to replace it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Right. Right. Because men are horrible and life is a nightmare.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

That is something literally no-one in this thread has said.

edit: I'm an idiot, missed it was a line from the show.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 4, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

That is something literally no-one in this thread has said.
It's a Jake line, dude.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

It's a Jake line, dude.

... title of your sex tape?

Edit: I meant that "It's a Jake line, dude" is the title of the sex tape, but after I posted this, I realized that it also could be interpreted as me trying to guess what Jake line LividLiquid was referring to.

So, this post was unintentionally worse than I intended. It's so bad that I'm not going to edit it further. It's not even so-bad-it's-funny awful, it's just awful. And coming from someone who makes as many bad posts as I do, that's saying something about how awful this post is.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 4, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

tarlibone posted:

unintentionally worse than I intended. It's so bad that I'm not going to edit it further. It's not even so-bad-it's-funny awful, it's just awful.

Titles of your various sex tapes?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

Titles of your various sex tapes?

Oh no sir-ee! When people watch my sex tapes, they only stop laughing when they have to ask a question about why I'm doing whatever it is I'm doing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

tarlibone posted:

Oh no sir-ee! When people watch my sex tapes, they only stop laughing when they have to ask a question about why I'm doing whatever it is I'm doing.

Put me down for a dozen copies!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CPColin posted:

Put me down for a dozen copies!

Now that’s a clone-based sex tape I’d watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up and holy poo poo that was such an incredible episode

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It made me miss Great News :sigh:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seriously.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FactsAreUseless posted:

Still sad that got canceled.

It joins the The Mick in the land of "good shows taken before their time".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Finally watched last week’s episode. And...

bunnyofdoom posted:

So that was a real loving good ep.

Also, the scene where Amy revealed what happened to her was super well shot. For this show, at least.

Solid as hell episode.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I also liked how the victim was a super confident business woman who was trying to be 'one of the guy's to show that yes, that's not a protection against harrassment, and it can happen to women who weren't the stereotypical meek kind.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Good opener

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1103845351063056384

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Still sad that got canceled.

It joins the The Mick in the land of "good shows taken before their time".
You and I appear to have the same taste in TV comedy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holt describing his girlfriends is always :discourse:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I lost it at "You're obviously a cop, too"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

HookShot posted:

I lost it at "You're obviously a cop, too"

"You keep talking about now nefarious you are!"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Brooklyn 99 S6 - ooooohhhhhh nnoooooooo

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

"You keep talking about now nefarious you are!"

I believe when he was undercover (or in witness protection?), we first saw his infamous Heterosexual Male "Guy" Talking Skills®, and that included descriptions of women's breasts as "heavy." It's just so delightfully awkward; it's the kind of thing that an alien who didn't understand why boobs are awesome (because it's an alien) would try to say to fit in with humans.

Glad to see he took it to the next level, describing his lady's breasts as weighing five-and-a-half pounds each. I think he also said they "dangled" or something.

Also... how cool is it when Boyle is suddenly so competent? I figured Holt was a diversion, but I didn't see anything else that happened coming. Way to go, Boyle.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Holt talking about breasts is maybe my favorite bit on the show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-f3sNylbUI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LividLiquid posted:

Forget it Jake, it's world.