Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

can we all agree that this is the level of difficulty jeopardy should be set at all times? great questions left and right

100% yes. I'm definitely not answering as many of the questions, but it's way more fun to watch this way and makes me think a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

GhostStalker posted:

Because the other 90% of the time when Alex makes big bets like that, he hits them; and then Team Buzzy would almost certainly have clinched the spot in the Finals right there and then.

I like Alex as much as anyone, I think he's amazing and an all-time great, but I wasn't saying "Why would Alex want to make a big bet?" I was saying that the logic that he should feel good about making a big bet *because* of the relative easiness of the category doesn't make sense, when he's missed the only two previous clues in the category. If the difficulty of the category is a factor, as the person I was responding to indicated it was, then I can't imagine a more glaring signal to say, "Hey, this seems to be the ONE category where you shouldn't gamble everything when you don't need to."

If he was just going to bet everything regardless of the category or any other factors, as I think was probably the case, so be it, but I think that's foolish and detracts from my sympathy for him.

Propaniac fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 3, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Propaniac posted:

I like Alex as much as anyone, I think he's amazing and an all-time great, but I wasn't saying "Why would Alex want to make a big bet?" I was saying that the logic that he should feel good about making a big bet *because* of the relative easiness of the category doesn't make sense, when he's missed the only two previous clues in the category. If the difficulty of the category is a factor, as the person I was responding to indicated it was, then I can't imagine a more glaring signal to say, "Hey, this seems to be the ONE category where you shouldn't gamble everything when you don't need to."

If he was just going to bet everything regardless of the category or any other factors, as I think was probably the case, so be it, but I think that's foolish and detracts from my sympathy for him.

It probably was the former.

Alex will always rather bet to win rather than not to lose, and Team Buzzy needed a big lead to go into Final with their previous game goose egg, and it’s always better to have sewn up the game before the Final bets are made and all that.

The difficulty of the category probably didn’t even factor in his decision, even if it really should’ve.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram
Unless it's late in the match and there's a clearer advantage to betting something in between, Alex is going to bet everything or $100 on Daily Doubles. If he had bet $100 on the last one and everything else had gone exactly the same, Team Buzzy would have been at $19,100 going into Final Jeopardy.

Team Austin's maximum possible total was $23,000, so Team Buzzy would have had to bet $3,901, and fallen to $15,199.
Team Colby finished game 1 with $7,600 and entered the second Final Jeopardy with $7,600, a cumulative total of $15,200.
As long as they bet $0 (and I think they'd have figured out it was the thing to do), they would have won anyway.

Basically, with an incorrect response on the Daily Double and the triple miss that FJ turned out to be, Team Buzzy could only have been saved in that Daily Double by either:
1) an uncharacteristic extra-low bet from Alex (i.e. one or two digits), which would have enabled them to bet less than their cumulative lead over Team Colby to cover Team Austin in FJ; or
2) a bet of slightly more than half their total to that point (more than $7,800 and less than $9,067), which would have left them in a close enough third place that they could have laid out and watched Team Austin and Team Colby topple around them.

So there were 95 + 1,266 = 1,361 wagers out of the 15,596 available to Alex that wouldn't have spelled disaster to Team Buzzy on a miss, and that's all hindsight. On the spot, it's better to assume you have to get it right (which ultimately was true with over 90% of the wagers) and maximize the benefits of doing so.

iS! fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 3, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Alex's bet was correct because it meant that Buzzy lost.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I don't know that I'm on board with more difficult answers. I do think they stepped up the quality of the writing for the tournament, and that has been quite enjoyable.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I am enjoying the "wow" factor of watching these monsters make mincemeat out of the most esoteric trivia I've ever seen, but I can't say that I like feeling like a total idiot after each episode. It's humbling, that's for sure.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How is everyone watching it? Hulu doesn't have the current season, and there's a 0% chance I'll be home in front of my TV every night at 7. Usually I don't care if I'm behind, but this is cool enough it'd be nice to keep up more

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
a redditor called jaysjep2 uploads them to google drive and/or dailymotion every day. check the comments of r/jeopardy's daily recaps to find links to them

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Vernacular posted:

I am enjoying the "wow" factor of watching these monsters make mincemeat out of the most esoteric trivia I've ever seen, but I can't say that I like feeling like a total idiot after each episode. It's humbling, that's for sure.

Yeah, it was cool the first few episodes but at the end of the day it kills the satisfaction of playing along.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

How is everyone watching it? Hulu doesn't have the current season, and there's a 0% chance I'll be home in front of my TV every night at 7. Usually I don't care if I'm behind, but this is cool enough it'd be nice to keep up more

DVR.

And I both love that the questions are harder, but they definitely shouldn’t always be this hard. My(biased) opinion is that if you got on jeopardy, you’re good at trivia. That being said, most regular jeopardy games with this level of questions would be a poo poo ton of no one ringing in because they don’t know the answer, or nerves are getting to them so they don’t know the answer.

Not everyone knows every drat fact about African countries and cities.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does anyone know if tonight's episode is just a single Jeopardy round again, or is it an actual game?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

HookShot posted:

Does anyone know if tonight's episode is just a single Jeopardy round again, or is it an actual game?

It was a full game (but still with the odd ad breaks).

Final was super easy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That Double Jeopardy was a work of art and proves how underrated Larissa was in the draft. Holy crap. Colby, I love you but you're out of your league next to those two. Brad and Ken put on a show in the first round as well.

That FJ was ridiculously easy for this tournament.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zero One posted:

It was a full game (but still with the odd ad breaks).

Final was super easy.

Sweet, thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah Larissa in the second round was something to see.

And LOL that final.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I decided that they should have a secret final boss for whatever team wins (like a video game, where when the team wins they have to go back on the stand and the 3 of them play against the best player to ever play.

“You have won, but there is one final boss, the best to ever play, that you must face before your team may declare victory.”

*curtain rises, revealing Watson the Computer. The crowd goes silent. Ken unsheathes a sword he suddenly has for some reason and prepares for battle.*

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That episode was entertaining as hell. As a casual viewer I knew almost none of the questions, and watching Ken and Brad's team dominate was something else. I was sad when Larissa dropped out of the Decades tournament early so it's great to see her dominating here and getting some recognition.

I laughed out loud at Alan during final jeopardy, and again when Alex casually insulted their team and he broke down laughing. Good stuff.

It's hard to have a rooting interest in these games because each team has one of my favorite players on it. I'll just hope that the final round isn't a runaway I guess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

My wife and I decided that they should have a secret final boss for whatever team wins (like a video game, where when the team wins they have to go back on the stand and the 3 of them play against the best player to ever play.

“You have won, but there is one final boss, the best to ever play, that you must face before your team may declare victory.”

*curtain rises, revealing Watson the Computer. The crowd goes silent. Ken unsheathes a sword he suddenly has for some reason and prepares for battle.*

This would be maybe the greatest thing ever.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Duckman2008 posted:

Would absolutely watch, holy poo poo this is great.

And yeah, Larissa continues to be an absolute buzzsaw alongside Matt and Brad and Ken. I felt bad for Colby and Pam. Cakewalk Final though, and Alan was a good sport about Trebek’s ribbing.

Early commercial break is still annoying, though if it gets us full rounds before another commercial, I guess I can bitch a bit less about it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Duckman2008 posted:

The final boss team is Watson, Alex Trebek himself, and the Clue Crew answering the first Double Jeopardy clue with a ten minute video, running out the timer before Ken or Brad can score.

e: Wait we've never actually seen the judges, have we? Let's see how hot they are behind the buzzer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter both have to accrue a positive score faster than Wolf Blitzer can accrue a negative score or else Arthur Chu hosts the show forever

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 5, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cheech is the judge.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Larissa has absolutely been the most impressive player so far.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Finally caught up in the tournament, and the format is growing on me for the novelty. Alan making a :mrgw: face tonight put it over the top for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Finally caught up in the tournament, and the format is growing on me for the novelty. Alan making a :mrgw: face tonight put it over the top for me.

Surprisingly is that the format is way better than they have a full game of jeopardy in the 30 minutes!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah TBH I think if they had made it a full game in each episode right from the start there would have been far fewer complaints (including from me).

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

My partner and I randomly found Jeopardy on Hulu back in November and it reignited our interest in the show and we've been watching every new episode since. I used to watch as a kid and didn't get any of the answers, of course. It's really refreshing to be able to answer them now as an adult, though (outside of the tournament of champions, of course).

This is the first I've looked at the thread here, though, and I noticed the "how to get on jeopardy" link in the OP broken. Here's an updated one: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j.

edit: speaking of, are there any training resources around? I know there are categories I don't know poo poo about, like opera and musicals, that I could just scan Wikipedia for basic details but there've got to be easier ways to cram for this knowledge. I know there's j-archive but it doesn't seem to be designed specifically for training.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 5, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Depends on how you learn.

I learn way better from context and stories than just rote memorization, so when I got the call and suddenly realized I had three weeks to learn everything there is to know about US History, I just plowed through the entire Khan Academy course on it, because I knew I'd keep the facts in my head way better that way than if I just had a list of civil war battle sites and presidents and stuff.

I also learn better from writing stuff down, so the entire time I took notes on things I thought might come up in Jeopardy. Again, knowing how you learn and doing it that way is best.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I keep a running list of topics that I want to study prior to the online test and never ever will because time is a premium, energy is a luxury, and reality is fiction

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Sean posted:

My partner and I randomly found Jeopardy on Hulu back in November and it reignited our interest in the show and we've been watching every new episode since. I used to watch as a kid and didn't get any of the answers, of course. It's really refreshing to be able to answer them now as an adult, though (outside of the tournament of champions, of course).

This is the first I've looked at the thread here, though, and I noticed the "how to get on jeopardy" link in the OP broken. Here's an updated one: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j.

edit: speaking of, are there any training resources around? I know there are categories I don't know poo poo about, like opera and musicals, that I could just scan Wikipedia for basic details but there've got to be easier ways to cram for this knowledge. I know there's j-archive but it doesn't seem to be designed specifically for training.

In this order:

1) State Capitals
2) Presidents
3) World Capitals
4) Shakespeare

As far as resources, I can't recommend Bob Harris's Prisoner of Trebekistan enough. There's better books for cramming facts, but that's by far the best resource to start getting familiar with the whole process and does a great job of teaching clever ways to learn lists and stuff without going down the memory palace path.

If you just want to cram, Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia is very useful. Tons and tons of important (and less important) lists. There's a few errors in the book, but there's a new revision every couple years so you'd think they'll work them out eventually.

There's also the classic tome How to Get on Jeopardy!... and Win which, at this point, is 20 years outdated so the information isn't all up to date (or useful) but the process hasn't changed much and it's still the same general areas of study.

Finally, Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions is a good book, and they put out a revised edition a couple years ago on kindle that's formatted horribly and unreadable. The old paperback is only a couple bucks most places though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HookShot posted:

Yeah TBH I think if they had made it a full game in each episode right from the start there would have been far fewer complaints (including from me).

I agree. It's probably impossible with the time constraints and wanting to do it the way they wanted, but I'd be okay with the team concept if they played complete games each episode. Although the team concept still seems to sorta run the integrity of the game. It's fun for a few weeks, but having one team player just do final jeopardy and well, they either know it or they don't and that's all they contribute seems weak. They need to tweak some aspects if they want to do this thing again.

I was thinking if they want to do teams of 3, have one person do the first round, two teammates do the second, and then all three team members do final Jeopardy together, and just make the questions insanely hard for double and final jeopardy.

Although most of the questions for this tournament seem insanely hard so I dunno.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll take everything into consideration. I've been a goon since '03 and know how to read an OP, etc, but drat I didn't realize how many goons were on the show and I should have read the thread more before posting. I started off using the "?" history button on the first person to respond after I did, HookShot, and it was interesting seeing her post about doing the test for a few years and "hey, I'm never going to get on" posts were great since I had just learned she did get on. As I've been watching for the past few months there are some contestants that I see/hear and I'm like "that's totally a goon" so after I comb through some more posts I'll see how accurate I am.

In the meantime, while I read the whole drat thread, for those who have been on: how much do they limit goofiness? Like, if I knew I was going to tank FJ could I just write "Turd Ferguson" or something or will that kill my chances of even the minimal payout?

edit: fffuckk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBPa9UbWSM

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 5, 2019

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Sean posted:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll take everything into consideration. I've been a goon since '03 and know how to read an OP, etc, but drat I didn't realize how many goons were on the show and I should have read the thread more before posting. I started off using the "?" history button on the first person to respond after I did, HookShot, and it was interesting seeing her post about doing the test for a few years and "hey, I'm never going to get on" posts were great since I had just learned she did get on. As I've been watching for the past few months there are some contestants that I see/hear and I'm like "that's totally a goon" so after I comb through some more posts I'll see how accurate I am.

In the meantime, while I read the whole drat thread, for those who have been on: how much do they limit goofiness? Like, if I knew I was going to tank FJ could I just write "Turd Ferguson" or something or will that kill my chances of even the minimal payout?

edit: fffuckk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBPa9UbWSM

Yeah, reading through the thread and seeing who made it on and who’s still in the pool is a lot of fun. I mean, I didn’t start posting here until I got my audition and since then I think we’ve had 5 goons on the show, not including me? I think HookShot is the only one not in the one and done club.

And there have been a ton of funny responses, including Roger Craig’s recent one at the second game of Match 2 during this recent tournament, with the Wheel of Fortune style response. Lily Chin’s sticks out to me of her winning the College Tournament like 2 years ago, with her spiciest memelord response since she had locked up the game anyway. A couple of Kebert Xela responses as well. I think Ari, who’s with the Upright Citizens Brigade, answered with a “Who is this handsome gentleman?” on the episode after mine aired as well since Jennifer Blanton had the game sewn up.

As for studying, I read a lot of Wikipedia, as well as watching previous episodes and stuff like j-archive. I have pretty good random trivia recall, so I can retain a bunch of information after reading it, just pulling it out in time was the problem for me (goddamn overthinking so many clues! Aden instead of Sana’a for the capital of Yemen, Haiphong being too obscure for Jeopardy viewers instead of Da Nang, etc) and not staying clam and negging so many clues in the process that took me out of the running.

Most people who have been on say to practice buzzer technique but that’s not a thing you can really do without the actual buzzers though I’ve heard the pens that they give you at the auditions tend to substitute pretty well. Also know when to stay clam and not neg repeatedly. Oh, and betting strategy, but this is all for after you’ve actually gotten onto the show.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, when I got the call I started practicing with J-Archive games and I would actually decide if I was buzzing in and count my scores. The first few games I did I'd neg so many of the questions I'd finish at like $2k and very quickly went "oh poo poo I have to fix this". After about three or four days of constantly doing it and practicing I got to the point where I was negging very few answers and I'm pretty sure I only got about 4 wrong in total, including one where I knew the answer and just mental blanked it completely (Ahab, I threw out Ishmael just to get an answer out but I was going for Ahab).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Also, learn a number of “Pavlov”s, or answers that Jeopardy clue writers are expecting and that you can tease out from the wording of the clue. Like, they’re almost always only gonna ask for one composer from Finland (Sibelius), so if you see that country in a composer category, 99% the answer is gonna be him. It’s the same thing with preguessing Final Jeopardy at home based off of the category, only in a smaller scale. Learning some common tease out mechanics the writers use is gonna be real helpful, recognizing how they write and phrase clues and all that.

But yeah, classical music, opera, and some pop culture was what I thought my Achilles heel was gonna be but I actually did pretty well on pop culture. Overthinking a bunch of geography questions (arguably one of my strongest categories, and I hit a True Daily Double on one of those questions) pretty much took me out of the running (negged pretty much every other clue in the category as the Daily Double, and Final didn’t help). Just stay clam on a bunch of stuff if you’re not sure, so you don’t neg away your score.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They should have done a 3 day finals where everyone had to play each round at least once.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
ban brad from tournaments pls

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zero One posted:

They should have done a 3 day finals where everyone had to play each round at least once.

Yeah, that would have been awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Man, Ken was doing pretty good on the buzzer but those daily doubles hurt. He got Ruttered again. At least it wouldn't have mattered since they all got the final.