Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Wotjeo can eat what he wants though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A We're a cultivator not a Disney princess. We also almost starved without the fish from Arely in the winter.
Consuming spirit beasts in some manner is also usually a big part of leveling up your cultivation, and I wouldn't want to cut ourselves off from that route to power. Feels like the other option is to focus more on alchemy, but we've already got a bear for a spirit beast and we're training with dad, time to hunt and eat our way to the top.

mithrasoflego
Dec 30, 2017
This is a tough one, I think I'm happy with both options and all current writes so will abstain.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
A

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Sordas Volantyr posted:

I will see this child have an army of woodland creatures so help me

(B)

As much as I love meat, I love the idea of turning this xianxia character into a full-on Disney Princess more.

B

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I'd like to get Pappas perspective before deciding, maybe there's more to it than just thinking it makes them stronger.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

As much as I love meat, I love the idea of turning this xianxia character into a full-on Disney Princess more.

Same. B

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

A. Cultivate Bear Power.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

mithrasoflego posted:

This is a tough one, I think I'm happy with both options and all current writes so will abstain.

Same.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

dont be mean to me posted:

I mean, I don't object to not eating the kind of animals Mama talks to, but odds are Wotjeo is going to need to eat things that aren't just plants to survive, because plant life can get scarce in winter and Wotjeo is not a panda or something.

Fun fact: most bears are omnivorous (except for, say, the polar bear, which is understandably carnivorous), it's just that the places that are fertile and mild enough for bears to subsist on plants, roots, fungi and possibly honey year-round are places that humans got to first or kicked bears out of. Maybe things are less dire in-setting. On the other hand, good luck dissuading a bear from an animal meal once they've got their mind set on it.

There any fishin' nearby?

There is a river with fish. You're mother tells you it runs the whole length of the Valley starting from a waterfall in the East and disappearing under the mountains to the West.

Toughy posted:

I'd like to get Pappas perspective before deciding, maybe there's more to it than just thinking it makes them stronger.

Papa picks you up and then pumps you in the air like one of his head sized weights when he does curls. You giggle with delight. Papa often lifts you like you're a training weight, a game you both enjoy.

"Eating meat is how you get big and strong like your Papa. Everyone knows that meat from stronger animals helps you get stronger too. Meat from weaker animals doesn't help as much but still tastes good. The Silver Bear tribe has the best hunters which is why we are the strongest tribe. I used to be the best hunter in the whole tribe, which meant I was the best hunter in the Valley. That's how I got so strong. So make sure to eat everything we give you so you can be big and strong too."

if this explanation seems simple, remember that your father is talking to a three year old

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Seems reasonable. Our papa is so smart :3:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
A.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jester Mcgee posted:

Seems reasonable. Our papa is so smart :3:

That's why he was the best hunter, he was strong and smart.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A Am bear, must be strong, like bear.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Potsticker posted:

We are a beAr. :tbear:

A. Yes - I eat meat just like Papa

You think about what Mama told you. You really like the taste of the sweet liquid, and you had to kill lots of the tiny flying makers to get it. You definitely want more of that, so you guess you're not as gentle as Mama. A part of you wants to be more like Mama. At the same time, you also want to get big and strong like Papa. Ultimately, the most significant part of your decision to continue eating meat is that your ever-present brother Wotjeo the silver bear cub eats whatever he wants. Since you are a bear just like him, you too will eat whatever you want. If it fights back first, all the better to help you get stronger. Mama doesn't seem upset by your decision and continues to take you with her to gather food from the valley forest.

Mama teaches you about the plants and fruits you gather as you help her. The plants are still really hard to tell apart, but you do learn a bit about the common edible fruits of Aestia Valley. Pomegranates grow on trees and are good to eat starting a little bit after it gets cold until the flowers start blooming. Pomegranates are fun to eat because they have lots of little juicy pods that you pick out individually and eat. Apricots grow on smaller trees than Pomegranates and are available during the long warm days in the middle of the year. After apricot seasons, the sweetest fruit, grapes, can be gathered from vines that mostly grow along the river banks. With only half a day to spend with Mama, you never get far from the caves, but Mama warns you: "Don't follow the river or go chasing after grapes so far along the river out of sight of Papa's cave. If you ever follow the river and realize you can't see the cave anymore, come back right away. This is very important growllita. The Water Tigers own most of the river and are very good at hiding in it. Even if you think you are alone, there may be a tiger hiding in the river so you must always be careful near the river, or any other body of water."

So another year passes. In the middle of your fourth winter, Papa wakes you up late. Instead of training you; he bathes you and gives you a brand new dress. Mama braids your hair and then holds you in her lap. She hugs you tightly as Papa crouches in front of you, a serious expression on his usually boisterous face: "You are going to meet the Matriarch today. She is the strongest woman in the clan. Even stronger than me. You must be very polite to her. If she tells you to do something, do it immediately and without arguing." Mama hugs you even tighter, and Papa says to her: "It is time, we have to go now." Mama's hug gets even tighter for a second, and she kisses the top of your head then relaxes her hold on you. Papa holds your hand and leads you deeper into the cave. "Be strong growllita!" You turn to look back at Mama, and she smiles strangely at you. She looks like she did when she found you after you fought the sweet liquid makers, except she's also smiling. You've never seen her look like that before.

The cave seems darker than ever before. You are aware of the whole mountain above you pressing down on the tiny tunnel and how small you are. Papa usually lets you walk at your own pace, but today he is jittery and impatient. He keeps urging you to walk faster. Several times he walks so quickly your short legs can't keep up, and he pulls painfully on your arm. He grimaces then scoops you up in his arms and jogs down the tunnel. He sets you down just short of the last bend to the main cavern then straightens your dress. "Remember growllita, you must be brave and do exactly what the Matriarch tells you. Come on."

Taking you by the hand again Papa leads you into the main cavern where the clan usually meets to meditate together. The whole clan is here today, but the atmosphere is hushed and expectant. At the front of the clan is a woman even bigger than Papa. You've never seen anyone as big as Papa before, and this woman is even bigger. Her hair is pure silver and gleams metallically in the firelight. To her left are five other children and five silver bear cubs.

Papa leads you out of the tunnel. Your usual place during meditation is in the third row from the front, but Papa leads you past that and up to the stage to stand with the other children. The other kids look to be about your age, but you don't have long to examine them because Papa is whispering instructions in your ear: "Stand here and look straight ahead until you are called. Make me proud." Papa then leaves you on the stage and walks to his usual meditation spot without you. Your knees feel wobbly, and you want to run after him. This is all strange. You are surrounded by strangers, and the whole clan is looking at you. You firmly remind yourself that you beat the sweet liquid makers and you can do this too. Wotjeo is beside you. You are not alone. You realize the woman has been speaking and you start listening to what she is saying.

"... our newest cubs become members of the clan this day. They have each survived four turnings of the Egg. They have each felt the bite of the bitter cold of winter four times. Now they will demonstrate their metal to the clan so that we may begin to trust them to help us fight against our many enemies."

The giant woman gestures, and suddenly there is a multi-colored pyramid in front of her. Each layer is a massive slab of solid metal as tall as you are. The woman leaps to the top of the pyramid in a single bound then turns to look at you. "The first cub to join us is the daughter of Guarnicio." She is pointing at you and Wotjeo. "Come, children, join me."

You exchange looks with Wotjeo. Together you walk up to the base of the pyramid. Nobody stops either of you, so you guess you're doing what she wants. The bottom slab is stone with streaks and splotches of many different colors. Unlike the other slabs, the surface is rough and uneven. It is easy to climb it, and even Wotjeo finds a place where he can scramble up. The second slab is white as a cloud. You lift yourself up onto it.
When you kneel down to help Wotjeo up, you can see imprints your hands made in it when you pulled yourself up. Wotjeo's claws leave deep scratches in it as he kicks and you lift. The third slab is dull grey. It is almost as easy to damage as the second level. The fourth level is orangish brown. You can feel the strain in your arms from lifting first yourself and then Wotjeo but Papa's training paid off, and you approach the next level with confidence. The fifth level is the same flat black color as Papa's hair and Arely's fur. It is hard and cold. Wotjeo's claws can't find any purchase, and you do almost all the work of lifting him up. You are panting as you approach the next level. You look up. Only two more. You can do this. The sixth level is a rich yellowish-brown and warm as a summer day. Again, you kneel down to lift Wotjeo up. This time he jumps. You catch him halfway up and with a single explosive heave, haul him the rest of the way up. The last level is the exact same silver shade as the woman's, the Matriarch's hair. You wonder for a moment where her companion is before focusing your attention on the slab. It is taller than all the other slabs. Almost too tall for you to reach the top without jumping. You take a moment to calm your breathing before climbing it. The surface feels slick and slippery, and it is a struggle to pull yourself up without losing your grip. Finally, you reach the top. You and the Matriarch aren't alone up here, there's some sort of metal frame up here too, but you're too focused on helping Wotjeo up next to worry about it yet. Your arms are trembling from the effort it took just to get you up here. You know you can do this, but you really don't want to - it is going to take everything you have to lift Wotjeo so high. You kneel down to help Wotjeo up, but he can't jump high enough for you to reach. You lay down on your belly. The top of the pyramid where you are is so small that even your short legs get tangled up in the metal frame. It's hot! Have to do this fast! Wotjeo jumps as high as he can, and you catch him. You try to haul him up but laying down like this everything is working against you. His weight pulls you down, and you start sliding off the edge of the slab. Fortunately, your feet get caught in the metal frame, and you stop sliding. Slowly and carefully, you drag both of you back up every muscle in your body screaming from effort in the unusual position.

The Matriarch gives you a few minutes to collect yourself before commanding: "Stand beside me children." Standing beside her you can see that the metal frame is holding a silver bowl filled with burning black rocks. You can feel the heat on your face as the fires consume them hungrily. "Now man-child. Stick your hand into the flames and hold it there." You stuck your hand in the firepit once when Mama was cooking. It hurt a lot and Papa paddled you until your behind was as red as the fire for doing it. Papa also told you to do what the Matriarch said. You aren't sure which order to follow. You look up at the Matriarch, and she repeats her command: "Prove your worth to the clan, man-child. Place your hand in the fire and show us your metal." You look back at the bowl full of burning black rocks and fire. You take a deep breath, and the heat from the fire sucks all the moisture out of your mouth. You thrust your hand into the flame and fire goes wild. The flames double in size and continue growing rapidly. If they keep growing they will escape the bowl and envelop you.

The sound of your heart beating wildly drowns out almost every other noise but you are vaguely aware of shouting from the assembled clan. The fire is so big and bright that you can't see the clan through it anymore.

1) You
vote for as many compatible options as you want. Unless an option specifically says you run away or pull your hand out you keep your hand in the fire
A. Scream in fear
B. Cry
C. Pee in terror
D. Pull your hand out
E. Run away
F. Leap away and then run away
G. Stop, drop, and roll, even though that is not something children are taught in this time and place. You do it anyway.
H. Try to kick Wotjeo safely away while keeping your hand in the fire. You are not strong enough to do this, but you try anyways.
I. Pull your hand out of the fire and shelter Wotjeo from the rapidly spreading flames with your body.
J. Grab Wotjeo and run away
K. Pull your hand out of the fire and try to hide from the fire behind Wotjeo
L. Pull your hand out of the fire and try to hide from the fire behind the Matriarch
M. Stay put
N. Put your other hand in the fire
O. Put your head in the fire. This will surely kill you. You are going to do it anyways.
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 9, 2019

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

M Fear is the mind killer

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Does the fire actually hurt?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah, this seems like something relevant to voting.

On the other hand, it might also hurt but not burn, seeing as how most of the tribe doesn't have a stump or charred bones instead of one of their natural arms.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

This is probably both a bravery test and also a test for talent as a cultivator. The shouts from the tribe and crazy reaction probably means a lot of talent, but such a blessing also comes with its own tribulation in a more intense test. Or something.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

O :black101:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

BM

Also it's "mettle" not "metal".

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Metal might be totally intentional, if the type of metal is used as a shorthand for talent or something. And it is on a pyramid of different colored metals, each in a discrete layer, so it seems plausible.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
C

I suspect “metal” is intentional given that the bears are metal aspected beasts.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

ABCM

This is terrifying, but we are going to do what we were told to do.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Hell yeah

N+O

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Relentless posted:

ABCM

This is terrifying, but we are going to do what we were told to do.

This seems pretty reasonable.

Always
Be
Cultivating
Metal

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Potsticker posted:

This seems pretty reasonable.

Always
Be
Cultivating
Metal

What this guy said - ABCM

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
M +

Write in: Close our eyes as tight as we can and don't make a sound.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I believe the traditional approach is

Z: Dangle Wotjeo in the fire, holding him by his heel, thus giving him almost-total invincibility.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

BMN

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

A M

I love that we had to help Wotjeo so much. I could just picture his little baby bear arms scrabbling against the pyramid.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
M

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M + write in: Hold onto Wotjeo for support with our other hand.

mithrasoflego
Dec 30, 2017
CM

Doing what we've been told to do, but bladder gonna to do what it's gonna do.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
M N
We beat the bees for the honey, this aint poo poo.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It is very loud. There is lots of shouting and the fire is roaring. Your ears hurt.

It is very bright. You are looking right into a rapidly expanding fire. Your eyes hurt.

It is very hot. You are standing right next to a giant fire that is rapidly expanding. You can feel the heat from the fire beating against your face. Your face is not in the fire yet but you are sure it will hurt a lot when the fire reaches you because it is very hot.

It is... not painful. Your hand does not hurt.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

LLSix posted:

It is very loud. There is lots of shouting and the fire is roaring. Your ears hurt.

It is very bright. You are looking right into a rapidly expanding fire. Your eyes hurt.

It is very hot. You are standing right next to a giant fire that is rapidly expanding. You can feel the heat from the fire beating against your face. Your face is not in the fire yet but you are sure it will hurt a lot when the fire reaches you because it is very hot.

It is... not painful. Your hand does not hurt.

M. This un-fire aint poo poo compared to bees. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A M

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dr Subterfuge posted:

M. This un-fire aint poo poo compared to bees. :colbert:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU