Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

double nine posted:

they already call it a salute, just ... do a salute with 2 fingers instead of 5 or something like that
What if the captain isn't human or doesn't have fingers?

There's nothing wrong with the code, it works perfectly fine if you don't read it so dramatically.

"And...captain?"
"...y-yes...?"
*eye shift* "May I *camera pushes in*, and also my crew *hard swallow* upon this very gracious occasion *eye shift* offer you *eye shift* and *eye shift* your *eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

swickles posted:

Until the scene with Tye, I was convinced Isaac wasn't equipped with head lasers for whatever reason, and that would tie in to him coming to the conclusion that there was a developing caste system between those built pre and post genocide, ultimately leading to his own "rebellion".

I was also suprised they didn't also reach out to the Zoo aliens. They are both the technological equals of the Kaylon and biologic, so would have surely had a stake in all this.

It's a nitpit, but I was a little disappointed Isaac's eyes didn't temporarily turn red when the guns came out, and then switch back afterwards. It's one thing to control the little space LEDs in your faceplate and make them blue instead of red. Hell, gaming computers can do that. But I'd assume he has the exact same type of gun in his head, and it should shoot bolts out the same color as all the rest. It would have also wordlessly explain that his unique blue color is a choice, which so far has been completely ignored in-universe.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's a nitpit, but I was a little disappointed Isaac's eyes didn't temporarily turn red when the guns came out, and then switch back afterwards. It's one thing to control the little space LEDs in your faceplate and make them blue instead of red. Hell, gaming computers can do that. But I'd assume he has the exact same type of gun in his head, and it should shoot bolts out the same color as all the rest. It would have also wordlessly explain that his unique blue color is a choice, which so far has been completely ignored in-universe.

Union gets blue lasers, Isaac is pro Union so he gets blue lasers. Same reason his eyes glow blue.

It is color coded to make the inevitable video game easier to parse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the Kaylon had orange lights but that may have been a technical issue sourcing parts irl I suppose

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is color coded to make the inevitable video game easier to parse.

I've got my fingers crossed for a tabletop licensing deal.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Isaac's eye color wasn't addressed directly because we've only just now even seen other Kaylon; having the characters discuss that one detail would probably have felt weird. But, we can imagine some practical reasons. For example, Isaac was supposedly an emissary, so he may have been given different colors to differentiate him from the rest of the population. Or, maybe he changed the color because red is more aggressive to most humans, and he didn't want to upset the biologicals. Or, maybe for all his talk about how the Kaylon don't have emotions, he's really just sad all the time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mllaneza posted:

I've got my fingers crossed for a tabletop licensing deal.

There's a heroclix set coming out soon

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think they made him blue because it's union colors

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tarlibone posted:

Isaac's eye color wasn't addressed directly because we've only just now even seen other Kaylon; having the characters discuss that one detail would probably have felt weird. But, we can imagine some practical reasons. For example, Isaac was supposedly an emissary, so he may have been given different colors to differentiate him from the rest of the population. Or, maybe he changed the color because red is more aggressive to most humans, and he didn't want to upset the biologicals. Or, maybe for all his talk about how the Kaylon don't have emotions, he's really just sad all the time.

I have a tendency to view colors per the visible light spectrum. Primary was red, the other goons were orange. I would imagine that it is a ranking of importance, and if red is at the top, blue is closer to the bottom.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yes, I know the real reason his eyes are blue is because he's on the Union side, but I'm guessing it's more difficult for a Kaylon to change their skulgun to shoot blue lasers than it is to change their eye LEDs. And generally there's some in-universe reason, not just a thing all the characters ignore for the sake of audience convenience.

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a tendency to view colors per the visible light spectrum. Primary was red, the other goons were orange. I would imagine that it is a ranking of importance, and if red is at the top, blue is closer to the bottom.

This would have made sense if we saw even one or two background Kaylons with blue eyes on the planet. Even if they were left behind because organics genocide is for higher rank Kaylons only. But instead best we can tell Isaac is unique in that he's the only one who was constructed after their creators died, and he's the only one who chooses to be blue, even while he's technically no longer supporting the Union and has no more pretense to keep up.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

to be fair we saw their space where the primary was not the lower levels or whatever

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean if they scanned human history it's pretty blatant that robots with red eyes tend to be scary and evil in movies and poo poo, so it makes sense their emissary would have more neutral/friendly-ish eyes, I think.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Is it roboracist to be discussing the color of Isaac's eyes?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
On tonight's Simpsons, they took an odd jab at The Orville.

Homer takes Comic Book Guy's vintage car and scratches the paint to which CBG replies, "I gave you the USS Enterprise and you returned with The Orville" while pointing at the scratch.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean if they scanned human history it's pretty blatant that robots with red eyes tend to be scary and evil in movies and poo poo, so it makes sense their emissary would have more neutral/friendly-ish eyes, I think.

I'm glad they didn't. We could have ended up with something that looks like Wall-E or even worse, some anime thing with giant eyes to evoke sympathy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mister Kingdom posted:

Homer takes Comic Book Guy's vintage car and scratches the paint to which CBG replies, "I gave you the USS Enterprise and you returned with The Orville" while pointing at the scratch.

Even Family Guy takes swipes at the Orville.

In universe however it works without being a dig on CBGs part, since the Enterprise is the flagship of the federation while The Orville is a mid tier exploratory class vessel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Feels like at least as much of a self own from CBG which is also not really out of character in any way

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a heroclix set coming out soon

Oh, whew. That's the bridge crew. We do spaceships exploding.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tom Guycot posted:

I just watched this whole trailer, and I'm starting to doubt their claim of "this film is scientifically authentic"!

Yeah the science is laughably bad, but Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a great watch if you dig technicolor sci-fi stuff.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Seems like something an insufferable twat like CBG would say

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

lol the simpsons really knocking it out of the park in the last 20 years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What a loving amazing episode. I'm so glad they didn't do some dumb "it was all a test/simulation" cop out.

They're definitely setting up Ed and Kelly getting back together at somepoint, in part 1 there was that whole "you should have called me, we could have thrown up together!" "next time!" exchange and then in part 2 when Ed says he'll take responsibility for Isaac, Kelly gives him a very proud look. I hope they can handle it in a funny or at least interesting way and that it doesn't bog down the show too much.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
They haven't gone full Jim and Pam thank Avis

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I think they’re doing a pretty good job of showing how weird a post marriage relationship is. There’s always going to be love there but it can be damaged beyond repair even if both people still harbor feelings. I’m glad they haven’t gone full on romcom style everythings ok now! since that’s never how it actually happens.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

I think they’re doing a pretty good job of showing how weird a post marriage relationship is. There’s always going to be love there but it can be damaged beyond repair even if both people still harbor feelings. I’m glad they haven’t gone full on romcom style everythings ok now! since that’s never how it actually happens.

Yea, and at this point I should give the show the benefit of the doubt, they showed with the Isaac/Dr. Finn relationship that they can handle this kind of thing well enough and aren't going to rely on anything too cliche.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
As a lifetime DS9 or nothing level nerd I have to say how desperately I love the Orville in every possible way ever.
Thanks.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I just loving now figured out that Clare is played by the same actress as Kassedy Yates in DS9.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dietrich posted:

I just loving now figured out that Clare is played by the same actress as Kassedy Yates in DS9.

This is all an Orb vision she is having, actually

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Bloop posted:

Whelp, time for another Salayan security Chief

I mean, nothing against the actress who plays her, but the character Talla sucks, and I was kind of hoping that was the end of her. It would be a little odd if the crew went through a near universe-ending catastrophe, and they all came out just fine.

I'd be happy if Alara came back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Talla is fine now. It would be a dark running gag if every season their head of security was killed and the captain just kept pulling same-species replacements.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Baronjutter posted:

Talla is fine now. It would be a dark running gag if every season their head of security was killed and the captain just kept pulling same-species replacements.

Talla doesn't have an actual character - she just seems to be included on a lot of major plot points, including being someone's object of desire.

By contrast, Alara was physically superior to everyone else, but still full of self-doubt, held back by her parents' upbringing. That self-doubt made her feel like she couldn't relate to the rest of the crew, so she either isolated herself, or worked harder to prove herself.

Talla is someone who does things, and moves the plot from point A to point B, and you guess she'll probably have dialogue and maybe shoot a gun. Alara is someone you cheer for to succeed while moving from to point A to point B.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
They'll probably develop her in season 3, if she stays. And if there's a season 3. And if alara doesn't return. And

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah Talla really drew the short straw as far as character development goes, they suddenly lost a main character who'd had a ton of development put into her and they didn't have time to go through that all over again, all they could afford to give her was a line about Ed begging for an other Telayan in Alara's place and a short bit of dialogue about punching her previous captain.

Edit: apparently Penny Johnson Jerald never stops dancing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGciEmxY8-w

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So how long until The Orville has Funko Pop figs?

Season 3? Not until it's cancelled?

Was just lamenting to myself lately on how little merch there is other than indie tee shirts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

So how long until The Orville has Funko Pop figs?

Season 3? Not until it's cancelled?

Was just lamenting to myself lately on how little merch there is other than indie tee shirts.

If you live near a Thinkgeek store it’s worth braving the walls of funko crap to check out the 5-6 decent licensed Orville tees they have. There’s a Union logo shirt, one with a diagram of the various ship classes, one with Krill language, a “We need no longer fear the banana” shirt, and a couple others.

I’m not yet ready to publicly announce with a t-shirt that I’m a fan of the show, but I really need Eaglemoss or QMx to make a model of the drat ship already.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Even Family Guy takes swipes at the Orville.

In universe however it works without being a dig on CBGs part, since the Enterprise is the flagship of the federation while The Orville is a mid tier exploratory class vessel.

Don't defend them!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They said Isaac was built after they killed their creators. Is it possible he's the ONLY one made since then and that's why the blue eyes?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

They said Isaac was built after they killed their creators. Is it possible he's the ONLY one made since then and that's why the blue eyes?

They said their civilization was expanding, so it doesn't seem so.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dietrich posted:

They said their civilization was expanding, so it doesn't seem so.

Kaylon Primary's lines were: "We have exceeded the informational capacity of this planet. Our civilization is growing exponentially and we must now expand to other worlds."
(I checked the closed captioning to make sure I got that right.)

I don't know what that means exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kaylon Primary's lines were: "We have exceeded the informational capacity of this planet. Our civilization is growing exponentially and we must now expand to other worlds."
(I checked the closed captioning to make sure I got that right.)

I don't know what that means exactly.

Kaylons are grey goo on the macro scale