Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

From what I've been able to gather after studying the responses in this thread, Android users seem to get pissed off a lot quicker about phone choice. iOS users, on the other hand, seem at least moderately chill.

Why are Android folks mad about phones?

Normal people don't like assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Actually, it's more likely that everybody's just trolling each other in this thread.

I'm not trolling - iPhone is an okay phone produced by an evil company. They're sold at a huge mark up and produced with slave labor. They're all produced with slave labor to some extent but Apple revels in it and charges outrageous prices and has become one of the biggest companies in the world because of it.

If you're defending Apple then lol. Apple wants you to buy a new one every single year meanwhile kids' hands get cut off in the Congo if they aren't digging up enough coltan.

quote:

Eight-year-old Dorsen is pictured cowering beneath the raised hand of an overseer who warns him not to spill a rock

also,

quote:

Eastern lowland gorillas, which are only found in the Congo, were recently added to the critically endangered species Red List, one step from extinction.

The animals are being poached for bushmeat by militia groups and miners digging for an ore called coltan. It contains tantalum, used to make capacitors in modern electronic devices. Much of the globe’s coltan is mined here in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Wildlife observers have witnessed whole families of gorillas being massacred by thugs with machine guns.

just as a cherry on top because humans are cancer

Just to reiterate: Apple is evil and lol if you buy their overpriced to poo poo products.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 3, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
don't worry they're "working on" securing cobalt in a more humane manner. Richest company in the world with billions in cash reserves is "working on it."

quote:

Goldman Sachs, the merchant bank, calls cobalt ‘the new gasoline’ but there are no signs of new wealth in the DRC, where the children haul the rocks brought up from tunnels dug by hand.

Adult miners dig up to 600ft below the surface using basic tools, without protective clothing or modern machinery. Sometimes the children are sent down into the narrow makeshift chambers where there is constant danger of collapse.

Cobalt is such a health hazard that it has a respiratory disease named after it – cobalt lung, a form of pneumonia which causes coughing and leads to permanent incapacity and even death.

capitalism lifting people out of poverty!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope India/Pakistan nuke each other and set off a larger global nuclear conflict we just deserve that poo poo at this point

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 3, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Again, if Apple just immediately stopped every practice designed to make it more profitable, today, they would not run out of money to see it matter for the entire lifetime of anyone who is alive today to care, or their children.

Apple could just keep pulling money out of their cash reserves to make up for it, forever essentially if they draw interest. Because they are a trillion dollar company. That is easily enough money to do that. It is far more than billions or what we can imagine; it is 1/250th of earth's wealth supply.

Instead the only purpose that cash hoard serves is to warn everyone to never legally challenge Apple or their big stakeholders because their war chest is bigger than yours. It's like how every country's royal family keeps in storage a huge treasure trove of priceless artifacts and pays a "regime security force" that's not part of the larger army, just for protecting the inner circle from the outer circle.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
So is it morally wrong to own an iPhone?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, so no

Learn what your opponents believe

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I think I'm the only person that owns a One+(1+, OnePlus, who knows) 6T. I get made fun of, but it's far better than my iPhone, and probably Samsung, takes incredible photos, runs 16gigs of ram. Oh and it was $350.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dumb Lowtax posted:

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism, so no

Learn what your opponents believe

There are degrees. Buying a $1000+ iPhone every year when a $100-$300 every 2-4 years phone will do just fine aren't the same.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Giving up your economic power needlessly is just bad praxis

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I hate Apple OS layouts and having everything mapped to one button or hidden in a menue is UX that should get you shot in the back of the head.

gently caress apple.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
As someone who's developed apps for both, the fragmentation thing in Android is somewhat exaggerated.

As far as making your app adapt to different screens goes, it helps a lot that Android was designed for multiple devices from the outset, ios wasn't and it shows (early on you literally had to make a different set of views for each device size, then they added the constraint system to allow views to adapt, but it's clunky and buggy as all hell).

Device specific bugs are a bitch (gently caress samsung - I've written so many workarounds for bugs on their devices) but I'm starting to see those happen a lot more on Apple devices too, and they're more difficult to work around there (because ios is closed source, and Apple like to change poo poo around a lot more making today's workaround much more likely to cause tomorrow's bug).

Don't even get me started on what a pain in the arse apple make it is to publish enterprise apps (that aren't going on their stupid store because they're not initended for a wider audience), it's very apparent how begrudgingly they allow you to bypass their precious walled garden to do so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm sad that I missed one of my favorite low-effort "chili: with beans or without?" threads until now.

I loving hate having to use iPhones instead of Android phones. Apple is the only company I have seen make both their hardware and their operating systems consistently worse over time.

Whew, glad I got that in before the thread goes away.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I really don't care what devices people use, but when you have people who don't have a clue dictating what everyone else has to use, it sucks.

My current school board is slowly starting to figure out that just because you're in education, doesn't mean that you have to have 100% Apple products. They've finally stopped buying iPads which are beyond useless past the lower elementary levels, and I guess a bean-counter also figured out that spending 2-3x more for Apple devices over Chromebooks and Windows products isn't good for the budget when device attrition is as high as it is in a school setting. My previous school was 100% MS devices, and nearly all classes were taught on OneNote, Forms, etc. and coordinating and communications over outlook, skype, teams and other parts of the MS suite. The kids who went to that school (coming from other ones) would initially push back and insist on using their Macbooks, but their second year they'd usually pick up something from the surface line or a Windows laptop.

My current board is starting to move away from the hot mess that is the Google suite, and we've finally gotten outlook logins. If they didn't drop a massive amount of money on their aging macbooks, we could have had a 1:1 device ratio for students and I wouldn't have to waste paper printing poo poo. I had some people from head office last year come into our school and they dropped by my classroom unannounced. I had a wireless HDMI dongle plugged into the projector, and was making a collaborative real-time note with my students on OneNote, while walking around the room and writing on my surface Pro, while students were passing around a Bluetooth keyboard that was connected to it and making the note with me. The big-wigs were asking what kind of iPad I had, and I showed them that it was a Windows device. They were shocked and said (paraphrasing) "you can do that without an iPad?"

coke
Jul 12, 2009
because the hardware in the iphone is hilariously overpowered while a lot more efficient
so why not just pay a tad bit more money for something that will be 2-4x faster and last longer

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

coke posted:

because the hardware in the iphone is hilariously overpowered while a lot more efficient
so why not just pay a tad bit more money for something that will be 2-4x faster and last longer

Faster for what? this is such an dumb argument for benefits that will only be visible to people who use tech for anything other than streaming. You've basically created a toy that caters to specifically the people you try to keep out of your market.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lol my iphone SE that I got for $200 2 years ago is faster than Samsung's flagship wtf

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Dude, this is completely and utterly wrong. Apple released a stealth update that throttled down the processors in iPhones that have a dying batteries, not the battery itself, so potentially the dying battery lasts longer with less power draw. I had an iPhone 5 with a barely working battery that would randomly turn off at 50-60% out of nowhere and Apple wanted to minimize that behavior for many users. But I disagreed with this move because it was done without user consent. It was really wrong for Apple to do that and they were hit with class action lawsuits. But it also has nothing whatsoever to do with "planned obsolescence" because it's not like Apple can download you a new battery but they did offer heavily discounted $30 batteries for all of 2018.

In short, you're dumb as gently caress and don't know poo poo.

you are so close to figuring it out. tell me, if planned obsolescence isnt the goal why does apple prevent people from removing the back plate and replacing the battery?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inept posted:

lol my iphone SE that I got for $200 2 years ago is faster than Samsung's flagship wtf

Doesn't really say what you think it does, only tests how quickly web based Apps respond, which is highly depend on scripting and engines, not so much the hardware also it's a measuring tool put out by Apple itself, so real reliable unbiased data right there.
No idea why they decided to run a GFX bench either considering the S9+ runs at a non-insignifigant difference in resolution, it's like testing one PC with a 1440p display and another with a 1080p.

So basically both those benches are useless.

For most people the difference is negligible regardless, the only real reason the average person buys high end phones is as a status symbol and the consumerist obsession with owning the "best" possible product, but what is best is dictated by superficial appearances or advertising, a la people buying Mustangs, Rolexes, purebred dogs, Jordans, or other even things that technically ARE the best but that have zero application for their daily usage.
Ie people who buy OLED TVs despite only watching compressed poo poo news and sport stations all day, or an 8900K processor when it's massive overkill for 99% of games they play and they won't even make use of the unlocked overclocking.

Apple wants to enforce the idea that pulling out an iPhone immediately gives other people the impression of "This person owns the best, highest status product." so people buy an X because it's the best at achieving that, and also gives you the feeling of having a powerful, cutting edge piece of technology, something the vast majority of people will forget a week after getting the phone and it just turns into the same boring block you pull out of your pocket to read your texts now that the initial awe and giddiness at buying a new product wears off.

The idea of having the "fastest phone" is just a foot in the door tactic, pithy meaningless drivel that's meant to sound signifigant to catch your attention, but since you aren't an app dev, designer, or someone who uses demanding apps on your phone, it is all but irrelevant to you in a practical sense.

And even then, a graphics performance test says literally nothing about the things that even matter in those use cases, namely the RAM and processor.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

you are so close to figuring it out. tell me, if planned obsolescence isnt the goal why does apple prevent people from removing the back plate and replacing the battery?

Lol. There are literally no flagship phones left, besides some 2.5 year old LG models like the V20, that have removable batteries. It's not 2014 when Samsung and other Android manufacturers still offered replaceable batteries.

Also not sure if you've seen the ultra thin, tightly packed internals of today's smartphones but there's no room left to allow for a battery door and user-replaceable battery. Look through a newer phone teardown sometime and you'll cry.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 4, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I still have a galaxy s5 that works great because I haven't been tricked into believing that I need to replace my phone every year

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

I still have a galaxy s5 that works great because I haven't been tricked into believing that I need to replace my phone every year

The Samsung Galaxy S5 hasn't received a full OS update since 2016 or a security update since 2017, so I hope you're having a fun time with your phone full of bleeding-edge malware. Chinese and Russian hackers say hi!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

MarcusSA posted:

You can send what we length you want yes but it’s chopped up and sent and often they come out of order.

I just saw this a last week with a girl I was talking with who was using an android phone.
I've never once seen this happen since well before the smartphone era. Long messages I receive show up as a single message, the same as they were sent. Could it be something to do with regional differences in phone networks, or something to do with iPhones?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Every year, no. Every 5 years, yea maybe consider it....

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Every five years is about what I do but even then mostly because the battery wears out, rather than because of new features I'd really want.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Samsung Galaxy S5 hasn't received a full OS update since 2016 or a security update since 2017, so I hope you're having a fun time with your phone full of bleeding-edge malware. Chinese and Russian hackers say hi!

I hope they like reading my grocery list lol

(also I use a custom rom that gets updated regularly)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lol. There are literally no flagship phones left, besides some 2.5 year old LG models like the V20, that have removable batteries. It's not 2014 when Samsung and other Android manufacturers still offered replaceable batteries.

Also not sure if you've seen the ultra thin, tightly packed internals of today's smartphones but there's no room left to allow for a battery door and user-replaceable battery. Look through a newer phone teardown sometime and you'll cry.

I bought a new phone a few months ago and it has a removable back plate, SD card slot, and a headphone jack. it cost me $100. sounds like your getting ripped off by these "flagship" phones.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wanted the google fi plan because it is way better for international travel than any att plan or anything else, so i got the cheapest phone that works with the plan, which is the motorola g6. its not a great phone but i like not having to worry about data roaming charges. i also like having a headphone jack

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i been instagraming up a storm with my new googoel pixol

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

I bought a new phone a few months ago and it has a removable back plate, SD card slot, and a headphone jack. it cost me $100. sounds like your getting ripped off by these "flagship" phones.

Lol. You're hilarious. How is this in any way a valid comparison? May as well say "Sounds like you're getting ripped off by that Lincoln MKZ. I bought a used Ford Focus for $4k and it's perfect!"

Yeah, I guess if you're fine with a $100 phone cobbled together with 4 year old internals, mediocre screen with awful colors, garbage camera, and no OS updates ever, then more power to you. But I like getting a new phone with updated hardware every 2-3 years or so that's actually supported by the manufacturer for the better part of a decade.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There is something to be said for just buying a cheap car that gets you from point A to B with minimal hassle and fuss but OK.

that's actually supported by the manufacturer for the better part of a decade.

sorry are we talking about Apple here?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lol. You're hilarious. How is this in any way a valid comparison? May as well say "Sounds like you're getting ripped off by that Lincoln MKZ. I bought a used Ford Focus for $4k and it's perfect!"

why did you use Lincoln for your analogy lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's a simplified phone for people who get scared by anything tech or like fancy branding and it has a correspondingly high mark up on it lol let's not get all high and mighty

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Taking out the headphone jack is all about plugging the analog hole and selling airpods, nothing to do with internal space.

The best iKit I have is actually my 2010 4g ipod retina touch, that was such a nice piece of tech

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, I guess if you're fine with a $100 phone cobbled together with 4 year old internals, mediocre screen with awful colors, garbage camera, and no OS updates ever, then more power to you. But I like getting a new phone with updated hardware every 2-3 years or so that's actually supported by the manufacturer for the better part of a decade.

Yeah, those $100 phones are garbage even compared to phones in the $200-300 range. Literally you can tell the difference within seconds of playing with the display models. If it doesn't bother you, then more power to you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Apple supports their phones for five years, the only Android phones that come close are Google's Pixel phones, which Google have promised three years of support and updates.

Moridin920 posted:

It's a simplified phone for people who get scared by anything tech or like fancy branding and it has a correspondingly high mark up on it lol let's not get all high and mighty
Android is also designed to be intuitive to/is used by old people, let's also not act like you need to be a tech guru to use one.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

cheap phones have a place, like cheap things in any category of consumer products do. cheap things are within 90% of the expensive product most of the time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Taking out the headphone jack is all about plugging the analog hole and selling airpods, nothing to do with internal space.

The best iKit I have is actually my 2010 4g ipod retina touch, that was such a nice piece of tech

Also waterproofing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

yah apprently i can DUNK my pixel 3

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

lol, I would happily take a used focus over a Lincoln any day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Uh, yeah. Unlike non-Google Pixel Android phones where you're lucky to get one single major OS update over your phone's entire life, Apple supports their phone and tablets heavily, sometimes past what anyone expects them to. You can still update an iPhone 5S to iOS 12 and the 5S is more than 5 years old. The phone started at iOS 7 and has almost every feature from the OS compared to an iPhone 7 or XS, minus obvious camera/processor/etc limitations. That also means every security update hits 5 year old iPhones too, which is a great thing.

Android users wish they could have that level of support. Even Google Pixel and Android One phones are guaranteed only 2-3 years of OS updates.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 4, 2019