Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endless Mike posted:

definitely want to take personal finance tips from *checks* assblast420

I already get all the personal finance advice I need from cumshitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Tesla records three times as many OSHA violations as 10 other factories combined

quote:

Tesla's factory in Fremont, California, employs more workers than any other American auto production plant. The company produced more than 250,000 vehicles in 2018, ramping up production on all models, including the all-important Model 3. Production hasn't always gone smoothly, but issues as of late have centered more on deliveries and logistics rather than actual issues on the production line. Still, Forbes reports that from 2014 to 2018 the automaker had three times as many OSHA violations as 10 other U.S. auto plants combined.

A larger workforce of course means there are more chances for injuries. Over a five-year period, 10 individual plants run by BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Honda, GM, Hyundai, Subaru, Kia and Mercedes-Benz employing 57,845 workers and total capacity of 4,329,500 vehicles racked up 18 violations and $89,539 in fines. Tesla, meanwhile, had 54 violations and $236,730 in fines. Tesla employs about 15,000 workers in Fremont and has a total capacity of about 500,000 vehicles.

The report says that violations range from failing to report incidents in a timely manner to an incident where a rear hatch failed, falling on a worker and breaking his pelvis. The tent that was erected last year to help speed up Model 3 production led to six violations and $29,365 in fines. The number of serious injuries — those that require workers to take time off to recover — has dropped, but Tesla still had 18 total violations last year, the most in the company's history.

In 2017, Tesla's number of recordable incidents, a different metric than OSHA violations, was lower by about half than the average number of incidents at the same factory when it was run by Toyota and GM.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
30 grand? cost of doing business. :capitalism:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

another way of reading those numbers is that as a tesla worker you are 11.5 times as likely to be injured as an automotive worker for any other company.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

President Beep posted:

the gold standard in surety: a signed dollar bill. :colbert:
Actually, what is a signed dollar bill? Is it supposed to be some computer toucher joke about error correction, like a parity buck or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ol' musky once bet someone a "signed dollar bill" on twitter

i.e. he bet him a dollar, but it's worth way more than a dollar because who wouldn't want one with his signature on it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

remember when they hired foreign labor that came into the country under false pretenses to build their factory, paid them next to nothing and then tried to play dumb when one of the workers fell three stories and was badly injured?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sagebrush posted:

i.e. he bet him a dollar, but it's worth way more than a dollar because who wouldn't want one with his signature on it

specifically he bet someone a signed dollar that vernon unsworth was a pedo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

would fuel cells work for any types of motorcycle? a quick web search turns up articles that say a few reputable companies are looking into it. for example Honda filed patents recently for some kind of fuel cell cycle

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Sagebrush posted:

I remember that. I just was wondering if it was some kind of insane South African idiom or something.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

President Beep posted:

arquebuses.

arquebii?

arquebodes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

elektrek wrote a negative article about telsa

i guess ol musky's check bounced

https://electrek.co/2019/03/04/teslas-autopilot-bait-and-switch/

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

would fuel cells work for any types of motorcycle? a quick web search turns up articles that say a few reputable companies are looking into it. for example Honda filed patents recently for some kind of fuel cell cycle

Fuel Cells bad for dynamic applications.

Motorcycle very dynamic application.

Fuel Cell bad for motorcycle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Watch that poo poo with Deutsche Bank end up as part of their broader money laundering and fraud investigation. Fake bond ratings all you want as long as it only defrauds the little people, but you start loving with institutional money, telling everyone to hold the musky bag of poo poo you bought long into, they'll pay their government lapdogs to light your rear end up like a Tesla hitting a pothole.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

holy gently caress i wish there were a way to quote that entire comment section.

solid loving gold

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

the way he got hosed over is right there in the article

quote:

Consider an early Model 3 owner who purchased both AP and FSD before delivery (*the author of this article may fall into this exact category).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i purchased vapurware options for thousands of dollars that continue to be vapourware, but cost thousands less.

it's right up there with starcitizen backers getting salty over ship sales in terms of dumbasses getting mad for stupid reasons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i can't believe i got ripped off buying this product that doesn't exist! it costs thousands less now!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

i can't believe i got ripped off buying this product that doesn't exist! it costs thousands less now!

*gasp* MY PROPERTY VALUE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

straight up, i will sell you FSD with feature parity for any tesla model that currently is offered with FSD for only $2000.

just paypal me $2k and your VIN, i'll install it via my secret back door OTA process.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for the thread's tesla owner that just dropped $4k on this (you know who you are). do a chargeback and hit me up, i'll give it to you for only $1000

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

straight up, i will sell you FSD with feature parity for any tesla model that currently is offered with FSD for only $2000.

just paypal me $2k and your VIN, i'll install it via my secret back door OTA process.

i wonder how many people you could scam by doing exactly this. ‘i’m a tesla engineer and while we have fsd the pesky gov’t won’t let us release it so here’s my bitcoin address send me $4k of butts and i’ll backdoor the fsd to you. we have to do this secretly because gov can’t know tesla is doing this :wink: :wink:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what do you mean scam? i am legitimately selling a product with identical functionality to tesla's FSD

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

what do you mean scam? i am legitimately selling a product with identical functionality to tesla's FSD

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

if you are you’ll probably get sued by trucking people for loving up all their trailers

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

for the thread's tesla owner that just dropped $4k on this (you know who you are). do a chargeback and hit me up, i'll give it to you for only $1000

I’m getting their adaptive cruise control, which is really the only thing that works.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

provide proof of firetruck-seeking steering

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I’m getting their adaptive cruise control, which is really the only thing that works.

id be more interested in when they’re gonna introduce adaptive braking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

provide proof of firetruck-seeking steering

ah, but that's adaptive cruise control/autopilot, FSD is a whole 'nother ballgame

for example one of those things exists and is lethal, the other is perfectly safe because it is nothing but a promise

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

not really feasible with current technology. the energy density is barely better than a battery vehicle and the fuel cell stack + motor + hydrogen tanks end up just as heavy.

someday, when we've miniaturized direct-methanol fuel cells so that a 50kW unit + motor + 1-2kWh battery fits in something the size of a motorcycle engine, it will be far better than a BEV. but we are not there yet.

e: hell, you could probably get away with like a 20kW fuel cell and a 3kWh battery as long as you're not planning on racing on a track

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 5, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FSD is literally tesla saying that for only $5000 $7000 $8000 $4000 $2000 they will update your car with full self driving capabilities, when such a thing exists, regulators willing.

i, forums user infernal machines, am making that same promise to you. i am exactly as likely to fullfil this promise as tesla.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
its better in pictoral form

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i guess that depends what you mean by "works"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Craig K posted:

:elongate:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Craig K posted:

wheres gm

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:newlol:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i guess that depends what you mean by "works"

I just want the car to handle stop-and-go traffic like my mom’s CRV does

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

holy gently caress i wish there were a way to quote that entire comment section.

solid loving gold

"you don't buy a tesla because its affordable! you do it to be an early adopter"

it really is just the nerd early-adopter cult only spending tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars on an (unsafe) vehicle instead of phones or televisions

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just want the car to handle stop-and-go traffic like my mom’s CRV does

there are a lot of stories about it trying to match speeds with merging vehicles and one instance i've seen on video where it tried to merge into an adjacent vehicle in stopped traffic. that and not reliably detecting actual "lanes" as opposed to "marks on the road" would give me pause. but good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

I’ll sell you fsd that’s way safer and more useful then Tesla’s for half that price!

*you turn on mlr’s fsd, tesla engine stalls and automatically turns on hazard lights*