Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I've always thought the glass candles would end up being just Dues Ex Machina to communicate across far distances. The Maesters aren't the only ones that use them, Qaithe uses one to talk to Dany in Meeren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

A Typical Goon posted:

I've always thought the glass candles would end up being just Dues Ex Machina to communicate across far distances. The Maesters aren't the only ones that use them, Qaithe uses one to talk to Dany in Meeren

Seems unnecessary given they have ravens that fly thousands of miles and dragons that can find you in the middle of a trackless tundra.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bran's story is bad because having the ability to not only see through time but imprint on it, as he clearly can when he speaks to Theon via the weirwood or yells and Ned hears him or the Hodor stupidity, is the most bullshittingly powerful ability possible. He could project messages back thousands of years and stop the WWs from ever being created, or take action in more recent times to save his family and lands from being hosed over completely. OTOH maybe he tried to stop Robb and Robb ignored it because Robb was a perfect strategist who couldn't pick up a hint of trouble when his wolf wanted to kill every Frey it saw.

Bran's story is good because the case is painstakingly made for Bran being both the most powerful greenseer and the most powerful warg in who knows how long. That's why the COTF want to plug him into a tree and/or absorb him entirely; he is new and unique. I think that the COTF hivemind has been adding to itself for thousands of years in this fashion and I think it's why Starks are buried with iron across their tombs and I think it's why Bran's visions of the TOJ don't happen until Ned Stark is dead and not buried properly. I think their vision of the TOJ is incomplete because someone glass candled Ned in the middle of it, which is what allows me to substantiate my B+A=J, R+L=D; babyswap; Dany is the Princess who was Promised and Jon is The Sword of the Morning bullshit, but I don't think we'll ever get confirmation either way because Howland Reed probably won't ever be a POV character.

im rill dumb

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Started watching the show. Ned strikes me as unusually killcrazy.

Like they catch this traitor from the watch that was part of some patrol that vanished. Instead of returning him to the watch so they can question him and execute him if need be. Ned does it personally on the spot.

Then they find the wolf puppies and Ned is like "murder them all"

Then Robert sentences Sansa wolf to death for no reason and Ned is like "I'll do it! I'll do it!" even though by Ned logic, Robert should do it.

I always imagined The Hound looking like Vinnie Jones so the reality will never fail to disappoint me.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
deserting from the wall is death theres not really anything neds gunna do but kill that dude. also i think robert specifically refuses to do the dog

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Katt posted:

I always imagined The Hound looking like Vinnie Jones so the reality will never fail to disappoint me.

The show has its negatives sure. But it also has Charles Dance as Tywin.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Weavered posted:

And Diana Rigg.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Katt posted:

Started watching the show. Ned strikes me as unusually killcrazy.
Then Robert sentences Sansa wolf to death for no reason and Ned is like "I'll do it! I'll do it!" even though by Ned logic, Robert should do it.

I think in the books at least Ned tells Robert to do it himself and he just walks out? But yeah he's a bit violent, or at least a series of events happens that forces him to be violent.

It's more or less implied there hasn't been much going on for like 18? years except the odd Night's Watch deserter.

Honestly, I have no idea how they catch Night's Watch deserters, it seems like the first thing you'd do is steal some different clothes. The North is supposed to be the size of half the US, with medieval technology. If you just showed up somewhere how would they know? Also, it doesn't seem like people really avoid wearing black, there's no particular stigma attached to it or anything (that I recall)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm guessing 'Guy wanders in, all in black, on his own, who nobody knows, without money, and no clear explanation for what he's doing' is going to be a little suspicious.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah people don't really just seem to ignore each other in this world. If you sit at the corner of an inn on your own someone's going to ask who you are and where you're from, and will probably decide to fight you soon after regardless of what you say.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

it seems like the first thing you'd do is steal some different clothes

Deptfordx posted:

I'm guessing 'Guy wanders in, all in black, on his own, who nobody knows, without money, and no clear explanation for what he's doing' is going to be a little suspicious.

Why would they not have money? How do they pay the whores in moles town? There's clearly towns where strangers show up for various reasons, nobody assaults Brienne & co out of hand, nor Davos when he wanders into town. Nobody straight up murders Arya with all her wandering. Obviously you'd have to make up a lie about where you're from, but you're from somewhere so it probably wouldn't even be that much of a lie.

All I'm saying is it's a basic oversight. They'd brand them with an N or something on their hand (yes then of course you could wear gloves but). To me the Night's Watch just seems like another of those decent concepts where Martin couldn't be bothered to think through the implications.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'd imagine for most the risk isnt worth it. You can escape and do what? The watch gives you a place to stay and feeds you and unless you're a ranger you never have to do anything that dangerous. You can sneak out and bang whores and get drunk whenever without penalty too. It's like prison but better.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Wasn't the guy who got executed basically mentally broken from what he'd seen? IIRC there was a line about how he never said anything, not even to ask for mercy. But thankfully it's now been a long time since I read the books so maybe I'm wrong.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
He was the guy in the tree when the white walkers ate his friend iirc.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bran's story is bad because having the ability to not only see through time but imprint on it, as he clearly can when he speaks to Theon via the weirwood or yells and Ned hears him or the Hodor stupidity, is the most bullshittingly powerful ability possible. He could project messages back thousands of years and stop the WWs from ever being created, or take action in more recent times to save his family and lands from being hosed over completely. OTOH maybe he tried to stop Robb and Robb ignored it because Robb was a perfect strategist who couldn't pick up a hint of trouble when his wolf wanted to kill every Frey it saw.

In the books it's implied that it's the "all changes to the timeline are already accounted for" kind of time travel, ala Twelve Monkeys. In the show it can be whatever since they stopped caring about 4 seasons ago

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Weavered posted:

I think Tywin, Ned, Cercei, , Tyrion are perfect casting.

Breinne was also pretty much exactly as I imagined.

I always pictured Oliver Reed as Jorah so that was a huge letdown.

I also imagined littlefinger as Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers franchise but also fat. Him being relatively good looking struck me as odd.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 5, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Sean Bean was more than perfect casting because he dies in everything and the gimmick to the first season/book is "Oh well this guys the main character he's not gonna die" and he fuckin' dies lmfao. I'm still shocked at how great that worked for getting people absolutely hooked on the show.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
jorah was goony and the actor wasn't

the goonmeister was a good pick

and the first season tard guy and khalease were good choices too, because they were supposed to be idiot brats

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mark Addy was a good choice. Liam Cunningham too although he's way older than BookDavos.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I always imagined Courtney Love as Cersei

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Just got to the part where Tyrion comes into the Inn all

Hello lady Stark :smug:

And then she makes a lap around the room calling out her fathers mates servants and Tyrion is all :stare:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Sean Bean was more than perfect casting because he dies in everything and the gimmick to the first season/book is "Oh well this guys the main character he's not gonna die" and he fuckin' dies lmfao. I'm still shocked at how great that worked for getting people absolutely hooked on the show.

Source your quotes.

I can't really think of any casting that strikes me as particularly bad. Even where they don't look exactly as I imagined everyone does a pretty good job at embodying the role regardless. Shae I suppose but not because Sibel Kekilli doesn't fit the character - just because she's not great at acting in English.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Source your quotes.

I can't really think of any casting that strikes me as particularly bad. Even where they don't look exactly as I imagined everyone does a pretty good job at embodying the role regardless. Shae I suppose but not because Sibel Kekilli doesn't fit the character - just because she's not great at acting in English.

I thought Catelyn Stark was supposed to be a great beauty in her day, why else was Littlefinger so obsessed with her? I don't' find whatever her name is to be very attractive. And I thought they should've used only one actor to play Jaime/Cersei, it's a fairly major point that Cersei doesn't even really love Jaime, he's just a male reflection of herself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Katt posted:

Just got to the part where Tyrion comes into the Inn all

Hello lady Stark :smug:

And then she makes a lap around the room calling out her fathers mates servants and Tyrion is all :stare:

Literally the smartest thing a Stark has ever done in the book or show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

...In the moment. It becomes a bit less badass and smart when you realize she just started a loving war that gets most of her family killed right then and there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

...In the moment. It becomes a bit less badass and smart when you realize she just started a loving war that gets most of her family killed right then and there.

I was referring solely to the calling out her bannermen.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, she basically starts it earlier if anything, and maybe gives the enemy the advantage (since Ned being in enemy clutches is not equivalent to Tyrion being so, for various reasons)

But Cersei was looking to assassinate Robert and Ned was snooping into poo poo and basically everyone involved was overly proud and war happy to begin with. The whole thing is basically just a shitshow, everyone is plotting against everyone and it's a powder keg with all these rich assholes having armies they can raise anytime someone looks at them funny.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

nine-gear crow posted:

It's all one big good thing. It's cool that she did it and it's also cool that a main character having a big :smugdog: victory moment is in fact a really big blunder that shouldn't have been done.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

I always pictured Oliver Reed as Jorah so that was a huge letdown.

Jorah was awful casting looks wise, but Iain Glen won me the gently caress over and tbh he's how I imagine Jorah on most re-reads post show, despite Dany's inner monologue telling me he's a big burly hairy bear of a man.

e: imo the war was going to happen no matter what, and Cat's dope rear end actions at the Inn only served to make the war even harder on the Starks than it already was going to be

e2: also yeah one of my fave things about asoiaf, especially the early books when grrm is still establishing the stakes, is having all this big, cool, victorious moments for lead characters that end up actually being a huge fuckin mistake

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 5, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Iain Glen is daddy forever.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

His Jorah also produced the best GoT verticals so

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

She did it because the American Tolkien couldn't find a better way to get a war started.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Woodpile posted:

She did it because the American Tolkien couldn't find a better way to get a war started.

There's like 15 other sparks for the war, that's just the first one.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
a more fitting name for the series would be stark trek

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

esperterra posted:

Jorah was awful casting looks wise, but Iain Glen won me the gently caress over and tbh he's how I imagine Jorah on most re-reads post show, despite Dany's inner monologue telling me he's a big burly hairy bear of a man.

e: imo the war was going to happen no matter what, and Cat's dope rear end actions at the Inn only served to make the war even harder on the Starks than it already was going to be

e2: also yeah one of my fave things about asoiaf, especially the early books when grrm is still establishing the stakes, is having all this big, cool, victorious moments for lead characters that end up actually being a huge fuckin mistake

tbf it might have gone better if lysa wasn't completely loving insane

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Woodpile posted:

The whole 'Joffrey sent the assassin to kill Bran' really makes no loving sense when you think about it. Joffrey doing it to try and impress Robert and to give Bran mercy or whatever the reasoning was is just super out of character for him.

On the other hand Catelyn just plain accepting Littlefinger's word about the dagger and arresting Tyrion without proof is incredibly dumb, it actually fits her character so it works for me

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Woodpile posted:

watch cat start a loving war

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

a more fitting name for the series would be stark rekt

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

The whole set up is kind of like that, the Starks haven't been to court in 17 years? Yet they rule half the realm? It's a little forced how out of touch the Starks are with everything, especially given how easily it seems like ravens fly all the time. Ned talks about Jon Arryn like he's a second father, but he never once visited him or his pseudo-brother Robert? He never sends the hand North?

Also kind of wonder why Cersei stops having kids. She clearly never stopped sleeping with Jaime though biology is complex. I guess maybe she was drinking that moon tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

V. Illych L. posted:

a lot of things might have lmao